• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think of the Sonic in Super Smash Bros Brawl Reveal?

• It was fantastic

Votes: 203 71.7%
  • It was great

Votes: 31 11.0%
  • It was good

Votes: 17 6.0%
  • It was meh

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • it was bad

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Does not come close to topping the Snake reveal at the end of the announcement trailer for me.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think it was huge considering unlocking Sonic in Smash Melee was one of the biggest April Fools jokes in gaming. I spent so much time trying to unlock them as a kid.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Does not come close to topping the Snake reveal at the end of the announcement trailer for me.
Sonic became an obvious inclusion because Snake changed the game. It seemed like everyone and their mother had expected him to be in. After Snake, every idiotic idea for a Smash Bros character was suddenly valid.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Getting to see Sonic punch out Mario to the beat of Live and Learn made an already special reveal something I still remember like it was yesterday.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Sonic getting in was awesome!

Sonic's Smash moveset, on the other hand, absolutely is not. I know he was rushed and all and is likely the reason Brawl got delayed, but he's missing so much pizazz even today because they are still clinging to his original design.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was 14 and completely gobsmacked waking up to this news outta nowhere on the Dojo site.

Shame his moveset was (and still is) dry as hell but I still mained him in Brawl lol.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Why do I feel like Sora had more buzz than Sonic? Maybe because for a wider, younger audience, Sonic being first party was before their time?
The Dreamcast had been discontinued less than seven years before Sonic was announced in Brawl. I think a lot of the people who were too young to experience Sonic being first party weren't posting a whole lot online.

THE BEGINNING OF THE END
also true

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why do I feel like Sora had more buzz than Sonic? Maybe because for a wider, younger audience, Sonic being first party was before their time?
Mario&Sonic at the Olympics came before the Smash reveal, so them appearing in another game together wasn't that much of a shock anymore.
I think the announcement of the Olympic game made a bigger impact back then.

spunodi

Oct 27, 2017
One of the last cutscenes in The Subspace Emissary shows Sonic at his badass best. I LOVED that. Spirits could never.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Snake was more mind blowing. Though I get the history making it a big deal.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
It's the best reveal. The only one I actually care about. I actually watch that introduction every now and then and think of how surprising it was and the thread it spawned. No more big surprises like that to be had.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I remember thinking this was the best Sonic design at the time, because of the dire straights that franchise was in, at least artistically.
Looking back on it now, this design looks "normal" and modern, like Sonic's brawl design really did reset the look for future games.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
I remember checking the SSBB Dojo site one morning through my Wii online browser and seeing that Sonic was announced. At the time I was strongly into Sonic and yeah, my hype levels were through the roof. Fun times.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I vividly remember the day. At the time I was in elementary and my parents forbade me from being on the computer until after school. Being in Europe the daily news drops would've occurred several hours after I'd woken up and I'd subsequently go on the next 7 hours of my day further being blissfully unaware of any news. A local street food vendor was closing down so to postpone my traditional home rush even further I'd stopped buy to eat something. It's a reminder of a time when I feel like I could go over 10 hours of my day without being privy of any actual news pertaining to my sphere of interest. Seems almost strange to think that the modern day (and adulthood to some extent) makes news travel faster than ever, I don't think I could experience a delay in messaging like that ever again.

Coming home around 4pm, logging onto MSN Messenger, and seeing the onslaught of people with status messages referencing Sonic in Smash made me feel like I was witnessing some practical joke. I was a Sonic superfan at the time (though I guess you never really "stop" being a fan of that blue critter) so I went onto the Dojo with maximum trepidation and slowly scrolling down as I see the "challenger approaching" banner front and center. Part of me still didn't want to believe it but knowing what I'd seen before opening up the browser I already knew what was in store. To this day that feeling is still the most surreal feeling of "is this real?" types of elation if only for how young I was at the time. Like after so many hoaxes across Smash history I was wondering whether or not the website got hacked or something, but no, there he was, and probably the one thing I yearned for the most at the time in gaming was a reality.

Sonic himself? His moveset is lame but I still mained him in Brawl and I mained him even harder in Project M. I think the emotional catharsis of his reveal ranks the highest among any in Smash. Among others that gave me a visceral reaction were Bayonetta, Banjo, Min Min and Sora, but nothing quite compared to that reveal in that time because I don't think I was equipped to handle it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Can't go with fantastic for 2 reasons

1) The game was delayed alongside Sonic's announcement

2) Sonic's announcement was originally made at a Japanese only event.

Though I still remember the day waking up, going to the family computer, going to the Dojo, and seeing the announcement and losing my mind. GameFAQs had an absolute meltdown that day and it was glorious.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
In retrospect, the actual reveal felt rushed, much like the character's inclusion.

Doesn't mean I wasn't refreshing Smash Dojo every day and losing my shit at school when I should have been studying though!

Oct 8, 2018
Remember when Sonic was an April Fool's joke for Super Smash Bros. Melee in Electronic Gaming Monthly?

I actually tried to unlock him...

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I was 16 when that happened & I remember going nuts telling my friends at school later that day, especially since I was the guy who updated them on what was posted on the Dojo.

Went over a lot better when Brawl was originally revealed in 2005, so I was 14 & in junior high, and a lot of people were like "who's Snake? What's a Metal Gear Solid?" when I was exploding over Snake, even if I had never played the games, & the idea of non-tendo characters making it in.

Jul 7, 2021
200.gif

It was great, even though I'm not really a big fan of the particular entry.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I freaking loved it! My most wanted Smash character ever. Having said that him being a last minute inclusion robbed us of a more thought out moveset and an awesome Smash 4/Ultimate style reveal trailer.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
I was like 16 in the computer room of my school freaking the fuck out. I know some of my classmates looked at me like I was crazy lol didn't care

Oct 27, 2017
Deserved a full CG trailer, but I can't complain about the fact that he made it in in whatever shape of form. Still gave me chills, it was like a dream come true.
I just hope they give Sonic a better moveset if they ever release a new Smash without Sakurai and he's included. The all 3 spindash specials are super lame, Sonic can do more than that.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I still remember the excitement that encompassed me for the entirety of that day. With that said, Sonic's moveset could use a revision next game. And Frontiers brings the perfect justification to do so.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
The trailer itself was kinda meh, but the fact they just threw a trailer for the character onto the Dojo one afternoon with absolutely no fanfare or hype puts it to a 10/10 reveal for me.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
An amazing reveal, it's just unfortunate they never improved on his moveset over the years.

Aquova

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I vividly remember quickly checking the Smash Dojo every day before going to school, so I could report on the new Brawl content to my other interested friends. Most of the time it was pretty boring stuff; info on fire flowers and Yoshi's Down-B and so on. I was a huge Sonic fan at the time and to this day no gaming announcement has ever gotten me as excited as this one. If you compare it to the later CGI ones from Sm4sh and Ultimate, it's somewhat lackluster, but it will always stand out to me as my favorite gaming announcement ever.

However, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Angel Island Zone remix is the only Sonic remix we ever got, which is a damn shame.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Great trailer and addition.

Up there as one of the worst movesets in Smash. Incredible boring

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, I remember, but being a anti-Sega lad in my youth, I wasn't quite as hyped for it. I remember being much more excited when Pokemon Trainer was just casually announced on the Dojo.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

Same. Literally no one could have predicted Snake reveal. Not only that, he was the first 3rd party character to ever be revealed for Smash. After Snake, anyone's possible, so Sonic wasn't all that surprising after that.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember waking up and sleepily checking the Smash Dojo before school like usual, and I genuinely could not believe my eyes lol. I'm not even that big of a Sonic fan, but I grew up playing the games, and his inclusion just seemed like it would be the biggest possible thing in Smash. The moment Snake was announced my immediate thoughts were "well we need Sonic, Mega Man, and Simon Belmont". Glad I eventually got my wish, even though it took a decade