• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Take away all privacy privileges at least, or delete the app

iPhone owners, beware. It appears Facebook might be actively using your camera without your knowledge while you're scrolling your feed.
The issue has come to light after a user going by the name Joshua Maddux took to Twitter to report the unusual behavior, which occurs in the Facebook app for iOS. In footage he shared, you can see his camera actively working in the background as he scrolls through his feed.

Source

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely disgusting. A huge yikes from me with a side order of oof.

Glad I don't use Facebook.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You are being watched.
The government has a secret system:
A machine that spies on you every hour of every day...

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
On my S8, I had a setting turned on where it would tell me whenever apps were accessing the camera, mic, etc. Never had Facebook installed, but Instagram and Snapchat both would constantly use the Camera/Mic respectively at random intervals, even when my phone was just sitting next to me on my desk. I'd get the notification "Snapchat was detected using the Camera" or "Instagram was detected using the Microphone" at like... 2:30 PM lol. Always hated it, especially when ads would pop up on IG related to exactly what I was talking about that day.

Sadly, ever since the latest Android update, I can no longer seem to find this feature. :/

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
If you ever allow the Facebook app to have access to any functionality on your phone, you're doing it wrong. Even then, I'm sure they're still abusing their privileges with whatever access they still have.

Oct 27, 2017
image.jpg

zuckerberg-puts-tape-over-his-laptop-s-webcam-so-does-fbi-director-james-comey.jpg

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I don't give Facebook any permission.

Storage? They will analyze your photos
Location? Lol
Camera? That
Messages? Harvested
Contacts? They will upload them as soon as possible

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. Was wondering if I left my camera app open by accident. Nope.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
This looks like Instagram's implementation where the 'Story' camera is always to the left of your Feed (i guess so it loads up faster?).

I guess they wanna introduce that in the Facebook as well?

Actually - didn't it work like that before?

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
iPhone SE user here.

It happens to me since the last update and is actually a bug.

FB doesn't need to show you or even show the viewfinder to record you if they wanted lol.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, uninstall the Facebook app from your phone or remove those permissions to access your camera and mic.

KenyaPSP

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 26, 2019
I noticed this bug a few days ago but didn't realize it was the camera because I don't grant Facebook or Instagram camera or mic privileges so it was just a black background.

Oct 25, 2017
This very well could be an iOS bug more than Facebook but video recordings like this do introduce variables. I'd be curious if other apps on their phone do this when in video full screen.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We further noticed the issue only occurs if you have given the Facebook app access to your camera. If not, it appears the Facebook app tries to access it, but iOS blocks the attempt.
Feel like this selection from the article should have been included in the OP.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say that the app is attempting to pre-load the camera functionality in the background for its Story feature and isn't obscuring it properly due to a bug that exposes this issue in certain versions of iOS 13. Instagram and Snapchat both behave this way if I'm not mistaken, I think that's the far more likely culprit here rather than Facebook intentionally trying to do something malicious.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Here's Instagram's Story camera - i could see how Facebook is experimenting with that kind of 'UI paradigm' for their Facebook app; and while the always-on camera is already implemented, the "swipe to access" isn't yet.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I've only ever accessed Facebook on my phone through the Safari browser, using an ancient iOS. Neener, Zucknutz.

Oct 25, 2017
Based on this guy is responding to people I highly suspect he's not understanding why this would happen if FB does have quick swipe to camera (don't have the app) but Instagram behaves the same way

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How can any of you still trust FB, my god

"It's the only way I can keep in touch with family!" is the main excuse, as if people have never used another messaging service, e-mail, or phone before. People have become reliant on the convenience factor.

I had to recreate a Facebook when I got hired for a marketing agency because I was required to run some client accounts. Never updated my page or anything, though, but I imagine this happens to a lot of people.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
The next iPhone/all Android phones should really have a small LED light next to each camera showing whenever a camera is active. While this wouldn't "fix" the issue, it would help people be aware when apps are doing things they probably shouldn't be doing and spark a conversation. This is standard on webcams, why not smartphones, you know the battery powered camera supercomputer always on us?

Oct 25, 2017
This also doesn't prove his "SEE FACEBOOK IS USING YOUR CAMERA" story because he's USING FACEBOOK. Of course an app you've given full permissions to can access your stuff while the app is active.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Had my account deleted earlier this year and i cant really say i feel like ive missed on anything important

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
outside of privacy concerns, it's basically draining your battery by turning on the camera on the off chance you might use it?

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On my S8, I had a setting turned on where it would tell me whenever apps were accessing the camera, mic, etc. Never had Facebook installed, but Instagram and Snapchat both would constantly use the Camera/Mic respectively at random intervals, even when my phone was just sitting next to me on my desk. I'd get the notification "Snapchat was detected using the Camera" or "Instagram was detected using the Microphone" at like... 2:30 PM lol. Always hated it, especially when ads would pop up on IG related to exactly what I was talking about that day.

Sadly, ever since the latest Android update, I can no longer seem to find this feature. :/

Sorry it was just a figment of your imagination.

Can't wait for Facebook defense force saying yea but it didn't warn about Facebook 😉