• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get why people are calling being thrown soda "assault".

There's a reason why they're arresting the man for theft of the cap, rather than for assault.

It is assault and possibly battery too, not sure what you're on about. A crime being committed is not dependent on whether or not a charge is filed.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah sorry I hate Trump but that grown man just assaulted a minor

Yeah sorry but that kid advocates genocide. But let's ignore context to reinforce your point I guess.

It is assault and possibly battery too, not sure what you're on about. A crime being committed is not dependent on whether or not a charge is filed.

Bro as a 14 year old who wore a Red Sox hat to Yankees Stadium I had multiple beers thrown at me and I didn't end up in the fucking hospital. I realized that some of that was on me. And that was about fucking baseball not genocide. Which seems impossible for you to address.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Whats crazy is, living in Texas my whole life, I really have never had to fear about racism unless I stepped out of the state. The very first time I experienced racism hurled my way, with serious intent, was in Mississippi when I was in highschool.

But as an adult, after living in this state for over 30 years, suddenly I am very conscious of my race these days. I feel like we've gone very far backwards. In the last year, I've been called "Mexican" as a pejorative to my face. Like, in a very spiteful way. Worth also noting, I've never once set foot in Mexico in my life.

EDIT: Going back to loss of spanish as a language in my immediate family -- do you know how honestly sad that is? It legitimately upsets me that I could have been naturally bilingual, an honestly useful skill, but I wasn't, because society made my mom fear teaching us that stuff. Consider my grandpa, passed away now, but he got Alzheimer's and lost his ability to speak english very early on. My Grandpa was still there for years, but my brother and sister literally could not talk to him anymore, because they didn't speak the same language.

It's cultural theft man. It's really sad shit.

There's tons of racism the more rural and east you go. With that said, having lived in suburban Nashville and within Lexington, suburban Austin has way less than Lexington KY which has wayyyyyyyy less than suburban Nashville. The old south is racist as fuck and half the time people don't realize how racist it is.

If you think about Texas's history, it makes sense. We have been a melting pot for 150 years. But east rural Texas is basically the old south.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sorry but that kid advocates genocide. But let's ignore context to reinforce your point I guess.

Holy shit some of you guys are really not doing liberals any favors

Did you just imply a minor you have never met in your life advocates for genocide because he was wearing a MAGA hat, and then smugly talk about context?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Did you just imply a minor you have never met in your life advocates for genocide because he was wearing a MAGA hat, and then smugly talk about context?
You might want to read the article linked in the OP.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Whats crazy is, living in Texas my whole life, I really have never had to fear about racism unless I stepped out of the state. The very first time I experienced racism hurled my way, with serious intent, was in Mississippi when I was in highschool.

But as an adult, after living in this state for over 30 years, suddenly I am very conscious of my race these days. I feel like we've gone very far backwards. In the last year, I've been called "Mexican" as a pejorative to my face. Like, in a very spiteful way. Worth also noting, I've never once set foot in Mexico in my life.

EDIT: Going back to loss of spanish as a language in my immediate family -- do you know how honestly sad that is? It legitimately upsets me that I could have been naturally bilingual, an honestly useful skill, but I wasn't, because society made my mom fear teaching us that stuff. Consider my grandpa, passed away now, but he got Alzheimer's and lost his ability to speak english very early on. My Grandpa was still there for years, but my brother and sister literally could not talk to him anymore, because they didn't speak the same language.

It's cultural theft man. It's really sad shit.

Not being able to talk with your grandfather is heartbreaking, I'm sorry you and your siblings went through that.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

...Are you serious? Did you not read the story or the thread?

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Official-Donald-trump-Make-America-Great-Again-Hat---Red---Crop_1000x.jpg

=
tcjonmmuj2gwruxbjpma.jpg

Before anyone says anything. Yes it is.

Without condoning or condemning this particular incident, I do think:

1. saying throwing some food at someone represents "violence is violence is violence" is extremely weak, and seriously insults the real violence done to people every day. And the real violence a lot of people have legitimate, grounded fear will be done to them as fascism and white supremacy take over a country.

2. it is impossibly naive for anyone to deny that MAGA and all symbols associated with it are not becoming fascist symbols. And naive to claim that, outside of very young children dressed by their parents, people who wear MAGA do not know this. Even if some particularly stupid teenagers think that they're "just trolling" by wearing MAGA, they entire reason they want to do it in the first place is they know what it means. They know it's associated with the image of taking over society, persecuting others, and advocating ethnic cleansing.

Therefore, people going out in public wearing this shit should consider themselves lucky if all that happens is someone throws a tomato at them.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Out of curiosity: How many people in this thread who are condemning violence against racists have supported any armed military conflict?

I suppose all of you are for the complete dismantling of the military?

Also, by the way, freedom of speech/expression is about government censorship. It has absolutely nothing to do with facing real world consequences for vile opinions and behaviours.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Without condoning or condemning this particular incident, I do think:

1. saying throwing some food at someone represents "violence is violence is violence" is extremely weak, and seriously insults the real violence done to people every day. And the real violence a lot of people have legitimate, grounded fear will be done to them as fascism and white supremacy take over a country.

2. it is impossibly naive for anyone to deny that MAGA and all symbols associated with it are not becoming fascist symbols. And naive to claim that, outside of very young children dressed by their parents, people who wear MAGA do not know this. Even if some particularly stupid teenagers think that they're "just trolling" by wearing MAGA, they entire reason they want to do it in the first place is they know what it means. They know it's associated with the image of taking over society, persecuting others, and advocating ethnic cleansing.

Therefore, people going out in public wearing this shit should consider themselves lucky if all that happens is someone throws a tomato at them.

I agree with this completely. These people know what they're doing and know what the hat means: white nationalism and fear of the outsider.

HierArch

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Any thread about a red hat with "Make America Great Again" on it NEVER disappoints. The lurkin' population is strong with this one.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not American but wouldn't it be assault only if there's the intention to injure or if the victim is injured in the process?

No. You only need the intent to harm or make offensive contact.

If there was really racist shit said then getting a soda thrown at him is not bad I guess...I didn't see this mentioned in the original story though

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not American but wouldn't it be assault only if there's the intention to injure or if the victim is injured in the process?
Texas shows a class c misdemeanor for physical contact that is reasonably seen as provocative or offensive. If you throw something at/towards someone, and what was throw makes physical contact, then are either of the other two elements present? Was the drink being throw reasonably seen as provocative or offensive?

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
he's still pretty young, so hopefully this event helps him get out of this hateful ideology

he's just lucky it was only a soda and not a punch thrown his way

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

If there was really racist shit said then getting a soda thrown at him is not bad I guess...I didn't see this mentioned in the original story though

Texas shows a class c misdemeanor for physical contact that is reasonably seen as provocative or offensive. If you throw something at/towards someone, and what was throw makes physical contact, then are either of the other two elements present? Was the drink being throw reasonably seen as provocative or offensive?

I see. Whether it's meant to be provocative or offensive makes sense.

wizard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
California
he's still pretty young, so hopefully this event helps him get out of this hateful ideology

he's just lucky it was only a soda and not a punch thrown his way
he is probably just projecting his parents ideology, its sad because now he will become entrenched in those ideas (usually) which makes it much harder to reason with someone.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
What now, because I said the phrase "other source" I'm on Breitbart or something?

You know this story is trending right? Its all over the place

He's just commenting on how convenient it is that the other source just completely removes all context of the situation. We all are more informed when we actively seek the truth and corroboration.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Maga hats are the new Ku Klux hoods. Simple as that. If you're still wearing one with all the shit happening right now its on you if you face some silly consequence like a soda in your face.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
I mean, from watching the video (which obviously wasn't cut down from a longer video), obviously, those kids did nothing to provoke that response. The camera man's reaction time to start videoing RIGHT as the situation peaked is masterful. Can't wait for what he happens upon next.

/S

Jan 10, 2018
Friendly reminder that children are tortured in Trumps interment camps

You are really not doing us non OP readers any favours with your silliness

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
My strong belief is that anyone who actually wears one of those godawful hats in public is automatically a grade-A shitbag. I don't think it's a good idea to go looking for a fight with other average citizens, but if he was being a racist asshole as reports suggest, the gloves come off.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Off topic, but I think these threads are bringing out the worst in some people. Some really mean things are said and it's kind of sad.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I spent all my tears on crying for mistreated children and parents in cages and have non left for racist snowflakes getting drinks dumped on them.
Honestly even if it was hot coffee it would probably still pale to whatever happens with those things. Maybe if you can get that shit figured out as well as ICE I can spend some pretend tears on this.

Fact of the matter is those generally complaining about this shit I BET are not consistent at all and will have pretty obvious post histories reflecting that they're only comfortable complaining in a certain type of thread.

Last edited:

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

He went into an in-depth conversation about how he wishes he could hang blacks on 4th of July and also wished that Trump made the purge legal just against African Americans and Latinos.

He's probably a couple of steps beyond merely implying he wants a genocide.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Were the witness reports confirmed? Sounds like they significantly change the context of the situation and would make the firing of the guy very unjust.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Either way I was wrong before because I didn't hear about the development of an eyewitness, and for the record if the kid was saying some racist shit idgaf about what guy did to him

But if you Google maga hat soda, and click on the Dallas news report that says "man who hurled soda, took teens maga hat, might have heard "hanging blacks" remarks ..."

It has this excerpt:

A version of this article included quotations from a man who said he saw teenagers at a San Antonio restaurant before a hat was stolen. KENS-TV, which first reported the man's words, has withdrawn the specific comments "due to concerns about the legitimacy of the statements."

And I don't see anything about the remarks anymore. So looks like the witness report is probably in the process of being confirmed as we speak

TheHolyTurnip

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Tulsa, OK

He's just commenting on how convenient it is that the other source just completely removes all context of the situation. We all are more informed when we actively seek the truth and corroboration.

The anonymous source was removed from other articles and I believe the original article because of doubts that the source was being genuine/honest.

Edit:beaten by seconds

Oct 25, 2017
No. ERA member to fellow ERA member.

Fair enough. I don't mind being aggressive towards ideas and arguments but I do agree that people shouldn't be insulting or attacking each other on this forum and no matter how heated I get in any of these arguments I make it a point to never call people "idiot" or shit like that. I don't think calling someone out for enabling racism by defending calls for genocide is a personal insult, on the other hand.

RogerK

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
I still don't get why people are calling being thrown soda "assault".

There's a reason why they're arresting the man for theft of the cap, rather than for assault.
It's because the teens decided not to press charges. Under Texas law throwing a drink in someone's face (even if it misses) can definitely be considered assault.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Fair enough. I don't mind being aggressive towards ideas and arguments but I do agree that people shouldn't be insulting or attacking each other on this forum and no matter how heated I get in any of these arguments I make it a point to never call people "idiot" or shit like that. I don't think calling someone out for enabling racism by defending calls for genocide is a personal insult, on the other hand.
Yeah, I agree with what you're saying and it's how I feel but it seems like people are saying some really cruel things.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
It's because the teens decided not to press charges. Under Texas law throwing a drink in someone's face (even if it misses) can definitely be considered assault.
The fact that the kid doesn't want to press charges lends a lot of credence to the anonymous eyewitness reports being somewhat legit, though, right?

RogerK

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
The fact that the kid doesn't want to press charges lends a lot of credence to the anonymous eyewitness reports being somewhat legit, though, right?
That's certainly one way of looking at it. They could also see it the way many members here see it (having a drink thrown at you not being a huge deal). According to the witness report there was apparently another person who talked to the kids beforehand so there's potentially multiple witnesses but no one else has come forward. The original publication who reported the comments has retracted that part from their story due to being unable to corroborate it. Regardless the cops have the man in custody and are interviewing the involved parties so maybe we'll get to find out what really happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.