• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia

March 19, 2020 release date for the system.

The known lineup:
Ys Book I & II
Air Zonk
Cadash
Neutopia
Space Harrier
Victory Run
Moto Roader
JJ and Jeff
R-Type
Blazing Lazers
Soldier Blade
Bomberman 93
New Adventure Island
Neutopia II
Bonk's Revenge
Dungeon Explorer
Ninja Spirit
Psychosis
Military Madness
Chew-Man-Fu
Power Golf
Alien Crush
Parasol Stars
Lords of Thunder
+26 PCEngine games

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Wait so the North American version will be 24 TG16 games and 26 PCE games? So we're probably getting Rondo of Blood on this thing.

.... also, there's going to be "overlap" between the US and Japanese libraries? So this isn't 50 different games? I wish we knew the whole lineup so we could sort this out right now.

........ I'll still probably get one.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
9XdWJvj.png

Space Harrier?!?!?!?!

Note that SEGA was a shockingly consistent 3rd Party dev even when they were making consoles. Not only did consoles like the Famicom and PC Engine get ports of their arcade titles, but even the Saturn and Dreamcast eras were punctuated with the occasional PC port.

Still though, they rarely acknowledge these 3rd party ports. With the closest example i can think of being "Fantasy Zone Neo Classic", which was a remake of the Famicom version of Fantasy Zone.

Edit: HOLY SHIT SNATCHER IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING

Last edited:

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
Fantastic list of games. But Snatcher being entirely in Japanese defeats the purpose if you cannot read Japanese.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit bummed out that the game lists are basically the same for Japan and the west, and some of the "50 game" slots are duplicated. For instance, Ys 1&2 is included in both English and in Japanese. And no Tengai Makyou at all.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Ctrl-f "Dragon Slayer"

Damn. Still a solid lineup, but there are several great games missing. Also, not localizing the PC-Engine games? Even the ones that HAVE been localized? Gah.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ctrl-f "Dragon Slayer"

Damn. Still a solid lineup, but there are several great games missing. Also, not localizing the PC-Engine games? Even the ones that HAVE been localized? Gah.

They're releasing Lords of Thunder instead of the JPN version called Winds of Thunder. So they clearly are releasing the localized versions where they exist.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeesh. Good selection of TG16 games but having the majority be Japanese or duplicates in Japanese is mindblowingly stupid. Of course, this is the same Konami that launched Japanese only pc engine games on the Wii U VC a year after switch was released.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
No they weren't. None of those games were developed by sega. They were licensed by Sega and reprogrammed by contract developers hired by NEC, usually Dempa. Sega wasn't a 3rd party developer at all.

Yeah, i probably should have clarified that they didn't develop the ports. The TurboGrafx version of Space Harrier was made by Dempa, for example.

But still, they were actively licensing out their IPs for release on non-SEGA platforms.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Day 1 for a ton of games, but I wish Konami had the translated version of Dracula X, you know, the one they put on PSP.

(Oh and I guess Snatcher too lol.)

Oh and what happened to Devil's Crush? And Splatterhouse? Too extreme? (Though they are putting Snatcher on it so I don't know)

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Look at the Japan amazon description. It does a good job explaining how the games actually split out. Every region appears to be getting the same games, with some being English and some being Japanese (or so it appears).

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
There are a lot of great games in there, but I wish they would eliminate the duplicates between the English and Japanese game lists.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
lol they just chugged out games in japanese like fuck you get your tae kim ready if you wanna enjoy it

disappointing to say the least

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
Wait, so they are going to include 2 versions (western and Japanese) of the same games?

Yet, no Bloody Wolf, Dungeon Explorer II, Parodius, TwinBee, Dragon's Curse, Legendary Axe, Gate of Thunder, Valis, Kaze Kiri.

Come on Konami...

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
What a weird way of doing things. Like, I'm glad that we're getting stuff like Rondo, and a huge chunk of the JPN titles are completely playable without reading, but...what am I going to do with Japanese versions of Snatcher, Necromancer, and Momotaru Densetsu?

But hey, two Bonks, two Bombermans, lots of shooters, even some oddities like Cadash! Actually, did they get Working Designs's stuff and not grab Cosmic Fantasy? Maybe it had other issues.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
So is this only going to be sold from AmazonJP?

That's what it sounds like at the link:

The console will be available exclusively on Amazon from March 19th 2020, with an Amazon Prime exclusive pre-order period starting from July 15th.
TurboGrafx-16 mini will be released in the Americas.
PC Engine Core Grafx mini will be released in select European countries.
PC Engine mini, Turbografx-16 mini, and PC Engine Core Grafx mini are only available on Amazon.

Last edited:

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Actually, looking again, the overlap is stuff like Nectaris, Dungeon Explorer, and Ys...text heavy games that had both English and Japanese releases. In other words, they wanted to make just one version of this thing worldwide (minus the case designs) and made sure we could play certain games in the right language. Otherwise, they just spread series across both languages (Bonk) or gave us some JPN exclusives.

Stuff like Snatcher is just there for Japan, and we get to mess around with the untranslated version because why not, I guess.

the androgyne

Oct 30, 2017
I made a table of the versions: https://codepen.io/anon/pen/zVXvLg
The only difference is that the West gets Salamander while Japan gets Tokimeki Memorial.
There are 5 games you get in both English and Japanese (so it's really more like 45 games than 50): Dungeon Explorer, Military Madness (Nectaris), Neutopia, Neutopia II and Y's 1&2.
Still, a great selection overall!

DarthButcher

Oct 30, 2017
While I'm still waiting on a price - hopefully more in line with Nintendo releases than the travesty that was the Playstation Classic - this just confirmed my hype for a day one purchase. I am pleased with the line-up and quality of the games, despite wanting some of the Japanese-language releases to be in English.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
Parasol Star is the best news. The game is pretty expensive.

But i have a problem :

Blazing Lasers
Super Star Soldier
Soldier Blade

But no Final Soldier, my favorite one.