• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
21487871681_ac01381f9a_b.jpg

On August 25th, 2001 - just hours after filming the video for her single 'Rock The Boat' (a track that Prince had shouted out on his website just days after her album released the month prior), Aaliyah, seven of her colleagues, and a pilot were killed in a plane crash.

To this day, her loss still affects me tremendously. She has really impacted my life in so many different ways. Honestly, I owe my creative output to her. I've been blessed with a lot of great opportunities thanks to my ongoing tributes in music & film to her life and legacy.

DEATH
After appearing on 106 & Park for the last time to announce the single, Aaliyah flew to Miami on August 22nd to begin shooting the video, which would be directed by Hype Williams. Close to her were friends, stylists and make up artists Eric Foreman, Anthony Dodd, Christopher Maldonado and Derek Lee. Fatima Robinson was also present, choreographing the video.

On the morning of August 25th, everyone was working in full force. With the sun shining, Aaliyah and the production crew had begun filming on a Fat Cat, a catamaran that the crew had set up the night before. Everyone was working hard but remained in high spirits, especially Aaliyah - who was noticeably tired but continued to give her all during the shoot. However, home was calling her. (Her mother had just undergone eye surgery, and her father was taking care of her - hence why Aaliyah decided going home early would be best. Her mother and father were waiting in her apartment in NY when they received the news.) Aaliyah was originally scheduled to leave on the 26th, a Sunday. However, after working non-stop for days, Aaliyah yearned of heading home. A speed boat was soon on it's way to take Aaliyah to Marsh Harbour Airport. Accompanying Aaliyah on her return trip home were Aaliyah's friends and stylists, Eric Foreman, Anthony Dodd, and Christopher Maldonado, Aaliyah's family friend Keith Wallace, Virgin Records employees Douglas Kratz and Gina Smith, and Aaliyah's personal bodyguard Scott Galin.

The charter company, Blackhawk International Airways, was called and notified that either a Fairchild Metro III or a Cessna 404 aircraft would be needed for eight passengers. Aaliyah and the group arrived at the airport around four o'clock in the evening, and waited two hours as over at Lantana Aiport, unbeknownst to them - their original 404 was switched out due to maintenance problems. Officials at Marsh Harbour Airport calculated the estimated weight of the plane with the luggage included, notifying pilot Luis Morales the third. However, he was said to be given the go ahead by officials, and that air traffic control would assist him. Their luggage was hauled to the plane, and the group were on their way - though the aircraft was quite smaller than anticipated. Surprisingly, Blackhawk International Airways had chartered in a Cessna 402B, an aircraft significantly smaller than requested. As shooting for the day wrapped up back with Derek and Fatima, Aaliyah and the group boarded the small Cessna around 6:45 p.m. As Morales began to start up the aircraft, multiple witnesses are have said to notice the engine struggle to start. The aircraft taxi'd down the runway before taking off into the air, where more witnesses reported seeing one of the engines fail. One of the witnesses was quoted as seeing the aircraft rise about 50-100 feet, then suddenly veer to the left, and head towards the earth.

b1ecf804276109df0f70f76333eec475.jpg

The aircraft plummeted into the ground, cartwheeling about 200 ft from the runway, impacting a marsh area which sprouted water into the air, and then burst into flames. Aaliyah and five others died on impact. She was 22 years old.

Three others survived the crash including Anthony Dodd, Christopher Maldanado and Scott Gallin. As rescue workers rushed to the scene, Scott Gallin removed himself from underneath the wreckage. Volunteer Firefighter Colin Albury was among one of the first to reach the scene and aid him. As Scott began to understand what had happened, he repeatedly asked of Aaliyah's condition.

LEGACY
Before Aaliyah had passed away, she had already signed onto multiple films up into 2008. She had begun filming for 'The Matrix' sequels whilst recording her third studio album. She was set to play the character of Zee. Unfortunately, Aaliyah had barely completed filming as she was scheduled to finish filming later on in the year. Nona Gaye was soon recast in the role. Aaliyah was also in talks to star in the film 'Honey'. The role was recast to Jessica Alba. Though majority of the films she was signed onto had no problem seeing the light of day, the Whitney Houston produced 'Sparkle', which she was set to headline in took the biggest blow. Whitney had decided that without Aaliyah, the film would need to be put on hold. 'Sparkle' was then released in 2012, with a brand new cast, sound and style.

Through the years, Aaliyah's name continued to ring strong through the industry. Various artists who appeared onto the scene after her passing can attribute Aaliyah's influence to a portion of their success. Artist such as Rihanna, Beyonce, Ciara, Cassie, Jhene Aiko, Keke Palmer, and many more have all credited her as a direct influence to their music and sound, with some other artists clearly being inspired despite refusing to say it outright. Aaliyah's impact on the music industry spanned through multiple genres, with acts such as Adam Levine to Adele crediting her as some of their biggest musical inspirations.

Fashion wise, Aaliyah prided herself on being a trendsetter - and through the years, many have looked to her fashion style for inspiration. Aaliyah's signature style of being street but sweet can be seen in a majority of the industry's finest fashion styles.

Aaliyah has been referenced and sampled plenty of times to this day. Rappers such as Lil' Wayne and J. Cole have gone to not only state Aaliyah's influence in their music, but have referenced her in their lyrics as well. Artists such as The Weekend, James Blake, Solange, Kendrick Lamar, and George Michael have all sampled Aaliyah in their music. The biggest track that includes an Aaliyah sample however, is 'F*ckin' Problems' by A$AP Rocky, Drake, 2 Chains, and Kendrick Lamar. The track samples an unreleased song by Aaliyah, that was reworked and leaked in 2013.

We miss you so much, babygirl.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With her branching off into movies I wonder what the trajectory of her career would have been. Her passing is still sort of seared into my mind as 9/11 happened shortly after. I still remember being in a AOL chat room when I heard she died. A tragic loss.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Rolling Stone had an article on the 7 Ways Aaliyah Changed R&B Forever:

This one stood out to me:

6. She's provided pushback from the "2Pac Treatment"
Aaliyah is the most significant R&B artist of her era to pass away while in the prime of her career. In hip-hop, such an event would have resulted in an avalanche of repackaged and remixed demos. Aaliyah's estate has flirted with this strategy. Drake announced that he was executive-producing a 2Pac-styled showcase of previously recorded vocals with new beats and guests, but backlash from fans as well as Timbaland dissuaded him. Then there was Chris Brown's "Don't Think They Know," where he sang alongside Aaliyah's disembodied voice. (Aaliyah might not have approved of a duet with the notoriously abusive singer. On "Never No More," she sternly warned a former lover she'd never let him "put your hands on me again.") Meanwhile, ongoing disputes between her estate, former label Blackground Entertainment and Reservoir Media Management (the latter which controls publishing rights to her Atlantic work) means her final two albums have been out of print for years, and are not available on Apple Music or Spotify. One project neither approved of was Lifetime's critically lambasted yet highly rated biopic, Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B.

At some point, someone will figure out a way to capitalize on the huge amount of interest surrounding this brilliant artist. For now, much as her frequent absences from the pop scene increased our ardor for her work during her life, the lack of posthumous money grabs haven't lessened our interest. Or her legacy.

It's crazy that two thirds of her discography aren't available online. I don't get it at all.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that threads keep getting made about her is a testament to her legacy. I made one earlier this year on her 40th birthday; there's another thread floating around as well.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Damn, I still remember when I heard about this. Had just turned 8, my cousins loved Aaliyah. Great talent

Last edited:

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've enjoyed female R&B as much since that day. Learning that she was supposed to be in the Matrix sequel coming off of Romeo Must Die and her increasing stardom, I cried hard when MTV broke the news that she had died.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gone way too soon. I remember seeing my sister crying when she heard the news. And my sister almost never cries. I always remember that.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Gorgeous and had a vibe that is still unmatched. I hate the fact that we can't listen to her music in these streaming platforms? And the only music that is available has R Kelly all over it.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I love Aaliyah and her music — I really miss her. I remember it was my mother who delivered that news me.

Dec 23, 2017
Not a bashing thing at all but I always felt when she died the lane opened wide for Beyoncé. I feel like if she didn't die Beyoncé wouldn't be as big as she is today. Alyssa was about to become like the number one woman in r&b hip hop. Movies and all that.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
This was one of those things where I still remember where I was when I heard the news. It sucks so much. She was so talented.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Last day of summer. My brother told me he heard about it on the radio while driving home. Ended up watching MTV for the rest of the day. Watched her diary, the music videos, everything. 1st day of 8th grade it's what everyone was talking about right up until 9/11 a few weeks later.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
sorry for the bump, but for those who need new somewhat "unreleased" material, this album appears to have some songs that aren't that well-known: