• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
*SPOILERS*

There's this scene halfway through the film where Schofield gets knocked out by a German soldier who shoots him in the helmet, and when he comes to, night has fallen and there is a massive fire in the distance. The above track plays as he struggles out of the building and then runs through the town as German soldiers take shots at him and he tries to avoid them. The entire sequence plays out, feels like an epic, surrealistic nightmare in some hellscape (and this film is not short for nightmarish visuals).

Oh man, that was such a brilliant sequence.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The constantly shifting lighting caused by the flares being continuously let off in the nearly destroyed town was amazing. The whole production was an audiovisual feast but that part was especially striking.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
The constantly shifting lighting caused by the flares being continuously let off in the nearly destroyed town was amazing. The whole production was an audiovisual feast but that part was especially striking.
Yeah the flares going off in the town was so good. And must've required crazy planning and coordination.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Much of the film is like a Diablo game come to life, which I was not expecting going in.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the flares going off in the town was so good. And must've required crazy planning and coordination.

They actually made a miniature version of the town where they would test the lighting so they could see where the shadows would be. And plan the shot accordingly.

Absolutely stunning sequence.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. This scene was something else and made my glad I viewed it in the cinema.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought you'd be talking about the one near the end where he's running and stumbles against other soldiers and gets up. I loved that scene for some reason. I read that that wasn't scripted.

Regarding the scene OP mentions my enjoyment was not as much due to the German soldiers getting the starwars bad aiming syndrome.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Can't wait to watch it at home with HDR and Dolby Atmos. The entire film is stunning. I'm usually not into war movies, but I was absolutely blown away by 1917 from a technical standpoint.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
it's easily one of the best composed scenes I've seen recently

an absolute stunner

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing scene.

The scene near the end where Schofield runs along the trench as the camera pulls back literally had my jaw agape. It's even more impressive when I found out afterwards that the collisions he had with the other troops were not choreographed.

It's so great to see practical effects live and well.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew it was the night window scene when I read the title. My jaw dropped to the floor when that whole sequence happened. An absolute work of genius and a great example of how all crafts in film can work together to create a defining moment. The music from Tom Newman is the icing on the cake. Criminal if he doesn't win the Oscar for this.

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw this movie yesterday and it was incredible. I'm not one for war movies but this felt completely different. the cinematic artistry and music together blew me away. i kept finding myself wondering how they had to choreograph the camera/set to the shot to work. and the actor who played the main character was so good.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Freakin Deakins man, every single frame of this film was a treat and the choreography was unbelievable

Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Seen it twice in IMAX and once in Dolby now (btw if you get the chance, both versions are amazing but the Dolby version takes the cake), but I was just in awe every time it got to the window scene... Felt otherworldly almost, like for a moment you forget you're in a war movie as those flares go off. The scene with Schofield running across the trench is one of the most inspiring/heroic sequences I've seen in a long time though.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
The choreography is nuts.

The fact it was shot day-for-night kinda blows my mind, too.

Also, I'm seeing a lot of tweets now from people who actually seem to believe the movie was done in one take.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
They should just start each Oscar show from now on by handing Roger Deakins a statue.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A gorgeous and truly impressive technical achievement, no doubt.

Oct 28, 2017
Yep the flare scene is going to be one of those immortalized into movie history. And something that deserves to be watched in a cinema, not from home.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Deakins is a master of his craft. Amazing scene, incredible film.

OP
OP
NTGYK

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's definitely a film best experienced in the cinema. Similar to Dunkirk, the initial viewing should be in a cinema with a decent size crowd. I can't understate the visceral impact of watching it

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
The movie had so many striking sequences visually but yeah that's the first one that comes to mind.

It was unreal. The shot that shows these war torn buildings and the red light felt surreal and menacing. Hell on earth.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
The choreography is nuts.

The fact it was shot day-for-night kinda blows my mind, too.

Also, I'm seeing a lot of tweets now from people who actually seem to believe the movie was done in one take.

shooting day for night is literally a 100 year old technique—being able to shoot at night is, cinematographically, technically more impressive

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
It was okay. I think it was a tad too convenient in many cases. Dude should've died many times. Which felt like a mockery of actual war in a sense. But the audiovisuals were definitely on point.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
God damn it, I have a day off tomorrow and now I'm going to have to go and see this again tomorrow while it's still showing.

It's a beautiful film but that night-time sequence is a definite standout. The flares, the flames, the faceless pursuer. It's truly something special, every frame of.it.

As someone else has mentioned though, the rising score and desperation during the trench run at the end was really riveting stuff. A scene that I'll remember for some time.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Thomas Newman and the flares really sold that scene. It didn't need to be as beautiful as it was.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Yeah I saw it today and it was crazy. One of the most self-indulgent and arrogant showcases of pure cinematography in ages. It's a pure showcase of technical competency and mastery at the highest levels. I can see why some people are put off by it, but damn it we NEED films like this from time to time to remind us what can truly be accomplished in the art of film photography. It's just obscene. Sam Mendes and Roger Deakins killed it so hard that the Oscars race for Best Director and Best Cinematography shouldn't even be a contest this year. It starts and ends with 1917.

That scene where Scofield wakes up, looks out of the window, and then walks out into the night illuminated by fire and flares......... just......... wow. Unbelievable. I'm so glad I caught this in a cinema.