• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
MV5BOTdmNTFjNDEtNzg0My00ZjkxLTg1ZDAtZTdkMDc2ZmFiNWQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAzNzgwNTg@._V1_.jpg

What is looking like the best war film of the year, 1917 hosts a massive amount of stars such as George MacKay, Dean-Charles Chapman, Mark Strong and Benedict Cumberbatch .

Trailer:

I'll have the usual 2 week notice until open spoilers are allowed on January 24th.

Last edited:

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
A really excellent movie. Exactly what you'd expect from a movie that Roger Deakins is involved in.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Nice looking movie, but has the depth of a wading pool. Honesly, it felt like a technical exersize to me. Salty takes that say it's basically a long COD cut scene aren't far off.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Seeing this and Jojo Rabbit this weekend and am hyped 🎥🍿

May 17, 2018
Excellent film. Left my wife in tears (her favorite book is All Quiet on the Western Front). Would have been my favorite film of 2019

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it last night. From a technical standpoint, I was simply enthralled by what I was seeing. I did kinda distract myself by looking for all the seamless/blended cuts, but was still really enjoying the movie a great deal. Moved at a very brisk pace (just under 2 hours). And finally, Roger Deakins is just showing off now. Got his Oscar and is just going HAM. The "continuous flares" scene just had me wanting to find Deakins to either slap him or fall at his feet.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this last month and was blown away by the technical mastery at work. Deakins is a fucking wizard.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
What a technical masterpiece. This movie reminded me a lot of Mad Max from a technical standpoint. The way the camera moves is so seamless and made me feel more like a spectator than any other movie. I was really thinking about how much this movie is like a video game.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
This movie blew me away and had me crying like a baby two parts of it. What fantastic acting as well from everyone in it. Really amazing film can't wait to see it again

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
So I just saw 1917 and the projection was all fucked up due to a lighting problem in the screen. Could barely concentrate on the film, the screen looked like this during the really dark scenes:

mRciAvC.jpg

Complained twice during the film and to the manager afterwards. Nobody seemed to have a clue why it was happening. Gonna have to go see it again tonight and I really hope the same shit doesn't happen again. Such a waste of time.

What I could concentrate on seemed really amazing though, especially the trench run near the end. Deakins and Newman are Gods.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
So I just saw 1917 and the projection was all fucked up due to a lighting problem in the screen. Could barely concentrate on the film, the screen looked like this during the really dark scenes:

mRciAvC.jpg

Complained twice during the film and to the manager afterwards. Nobody seemed to have a clue why it was happening. Gonna have to go see it again tonight and I really hope the same shit doesn't happen again. Such a waste of time.

What I could concentrate on seemed really amazing though, especially the trench run near the end. Deakins and Newman are Gods.
Did they compensate you at all because that would piss me the hell off. Specially that beautiful flare scene that you most likely didn't enjoy because of that haha

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Did they compensate you at all because that would piss me the hell off. Specially that beautiful flare scene that you most likely didn't enjoy because of that haha

I have a limitless card so the ticket didn't cost me anything. More annoyed about the wasted time tbh, especially as I'm reviewing the film. They did say I can grab a free coffee later though, lol.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Probably won't be able to see it for a couple weeks but really looking forward to it, film looks killer.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah...might have to break my own rule about not going to the movies. This looks like a great ride.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Just saw it tonight. Really really enjoyed it ... Te cinemetopgraphy and visuals were really good and probably one of the better movies where they did that continuous long take really well.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Saw it last night, was absolutely blown away.

A few minutes in I was like "wow this long one shot is super cool" and then the entire movie was like that which was just mind blowing.

Way it was filmed made it feel like you were really there right alongside them. Super impressed from a technical level.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn this movie was suffocating. Hell of a movie. Definitely one to see in theaters.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Right, second attempt to see it as it's meant to be seen. Pray for me Era. It's in a different screen so hoping the setup will be better. *fingers crossed*

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Saw it last night at Dolby Cinema AMC, absolutely outstanding and blew me the fuck away

That flare scene at the church at night

23246%20-%20autoplay_gif%20r-truth%20sweaty%20wwe.gif

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Going to a Dolby Cinema showing tomorrow, looks so good and I have been itching for a big ol war movie for awhile

mRciAvC.jpg

Oh man this would drive me nuts. When I saw Blade Runner 2049 there was an issue with the speakers rattling during EVERY bass-heavy moment... in a movie scored by Hans Zimmer.

Kodiak33

Oct 30, 2017
For those that have viewed in IMAX and Dolby Cinema, which is better? Looking to do one of the two this weekend.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing it tonight. I'm incredibly excited. I adore war films, I adore single/seamless shot film making, and I ADORE Roger Deakins!

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
For those that have viewed in IMAX and Dolby Cinema, which is better? Looking to do one of the two this weekend.
I haven't seen it in IMAX, but I will say that seeing it in Dolby Cinema was a real treat. There are scenes that make great use of HDR, especially the flares scene. The color palette used in the final third of the movie is just excellent.

The atmos height speakers got a good workout as well (as one would expect with this being a war movie in which the viewer at times can feel like an active observer).

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Also a reminder for North America due to scheduling problems most IMAX screens won't be showing this until the 24th. TROS has one week left in it's engagement and next week is split between Bad Boys and Dolittle.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
This is a solid film. The only drawbacks were the "hey it's that actor!" checkpoints at certain parts of the film and the second half ("take") sags a bit.

less

Oct 25, 2017
2020 off to an absolutely fantastic start when it comes to movies that I've watched. It was Frozen 2 last week and now it is 1917.

Loved this film from the opening moment. There was scarcely a moment that I wasn't riveted to the screen. <3

That flare scene at the church at night

One of the coolest scenes in a film I've seen in a while.

pepperono

Nov 12, 2017
I saw this in Dolby last night and a not really IMAX screen today.

Watch it in Dolby, for the sound alone. Better colors too since we don't have laser IMAX here.

I couldn't really tell the difference of the added aspect ratio for IMAX, but the quality of Dolby plus the more comfortable seating and rumbling made this way better to watch in Dolby.

Great film. I mean I watched it twice in two days and it was still good the second time.

Deakins is on point.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
I saw this in Dolby last night and a not really IMAX screen today.

Watch it in Dolby, for the sound alone. Better colors too since we don't have laser IMAX here.

I couldn't really tell the difference of the added aspect ratio for IMAX, but the quality of Dolby plus the more comfortable seating and rumbling made this way better to watch in Dolby.

Great film. I mean I watched it twice in two days and it was still good the second time.

Deakins is on point.

Im seeing it again in Dolby tomorrow night, I can't wait. The first showing I saw it in Regal's RPX, which are usually fine but for some reason this time the volume seemed way too low, it was hard to hear what they were saying at times.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Im seeing it again in Dolby tomorrow night, I can't wait. The first showing I saw it in Regal's RPX, which are usually fine but for some reason this time the volume seemed way too low, it was hard to hear what they were saying at times.

Same here. Missed the chance to watch the Dolby showtimes and I'm now kicking my ass over it.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Wow went in totally blind, so good. I couldn't help relating with
just running past mobs when low hp

Last edited:

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
So damn eager to see this one. Thinking of trying to convince the girlfriend to go with me to this instead of friends; she loves historical movies but hates violence. Can anyone comment on how graphic it is?

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not one for Oscar bait films and this obviously is that, but that was pretty incredible. Basically Birdman and Dunkirk made into one film which is actually great unlike them.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
So damn eager to see this one. Thinking of trying to convince the girlfriend to go with me to this instead of friends; she loves historical movies but hates violence. Can anyone comment on how graphic it is?

Its a soft R compared to Saving Private Ryan. The actual combat in the film is something you'd see in a PG-13 movie, but at the same time you do see the carnage/dead bodies in no mans land, and its pretty gruesome.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
This movie was good but not great! Visual treat and some sequences were great but after thinking back on it, the movie has a lot of slower moments that don't character build or add much depth. It's a visual movie and has great moments and set pieces with a great score and that alone is worth seeing it!

two things that started to bug me were how somethings were super random like after his friend dies randomly a few platoon of soldiers pop up without making noise and help him out. Also the main character gets way to lucky! He gets shot so many times and not once wounded! The guy that charges after him is in close proximity that he doesnt hit him or when he's running away to the water and several German soldiers cant hit one guy.
I love how the movie opens and closes similar with the trench to evenually it begining and ending at a tree.