• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Me during the trench run:

tenor.gif

Ditto but with the flare scene

What a visual and aural feast that was

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
My second viewing was much better. Honestly this might be one of the most technically impressive films I've ever seen. Loved it. Wouldn't have a problem with it winning Best Pic/Best Director.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, of all the Dolby Cinema theaters in my city, the one near me is the only one still showing TROS over this.

Anyone seen it in AMC lieMAX? Might have to go with that.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Saw it 2 days ago. Beautiful filmwork and it really highlights the claustrophobic nature of trenches. I felt one or two scenes weren't fleshed out enough to get enough of an idea of the struggles endured, but I guess it was part of the whole "need to get there by Dawn" nature of the film.

That fucking rat

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Just got out. Technically amazing and beautiful to look at, but I never felt very emotionally connected. And the videogame like quality of the script bothered me. Also, I don't think I ever want to see it again, even if it was a sometimes thrilling exerience.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got out. Technically amazing and beautiful to look at, but I never felt very emotionally connected. And the videogame like quality of the script bothered me. Also, I don't think I ever want to see it again, even if it was a sometimes thrilling exerience.
I think you explained it better than I did on the problems with it

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One moment that stood out for me that's pretty subdued compared to the rest of the film

I felt the exact same dread the character did when the clock tower kept going.

That and the river scene where Will breaks down because he thinks he didn't make it in time got to me. I really like the way they mess with the passage of time

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
This was one of the most visceral and engaging experiences I've had at the cinema since Children of Men. This was simply an achievement like no other. What a special movie. Very excited to see this one again.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
The story is bare bones and the lead has almost zero character depth.. but who cares with everything else the movie has to offer.

I don't ever wanna hear about people's home set ups being better than the cinema for watching this film ha.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
I wish I liked the movie more. It felt safe, predicable and going for easy metaphors. Idk, the cinematography was gorgeous and I did like the story and characters. And did enjoy a lot of moments. Didn't come together as strong as gravity or Dunkirk.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
The nighttime flare scene is burnt into my visual cortex. Deakins sees all colors on the spectrum.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good movie. Visually spectacular of course but the story was pretty average. Did a great job of turning up the tension at points though, much more engaging than Dunkirk. I think I would probably enjoy it more on a second watch since my brain wouldn't be busy trying to analyze the technical aspects of it lol

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Good film. 8 to 8,5/10. About on the same level as Dunkirk and somewhat similar. I can´t say that I cared for anyone on screen though but the war did come alive. Roger Deakins is a K I N O god and Sam Mendes directed only good film outside of Specter. But even that one was ok shlock.
This is even his 3rd war film btw.

PS: The best WW1 film is:

Freewheelin

Nov 1, 2017
Saw this last night and thought it was technically very impressive (DAT DEAKINS hnnng) but the story and the characters were pretty much non-existent. I also think I enjoyed the first half
(just after the guy gets stabbed and dies)
more than the 2nd half. The 'one shot' business felt tiresome and I think I would have enjoyed it more if it were a traditional narrative.

2.5/5

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
some clunkiness here and there but overall a very solid film with some brilliantly tense sequences. the flare scene in the broken down town was breathtaking.

after this there's only a few more stragglers from 2019 that i'm desperately needing to watch. hoping Uncut Gems actually shows up in a cinema that isn't over an hour away from me and the same happens for Parasite when that eventually sees a release over here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Surprised people are saying they found it emotionless. I was so drawn into it and I thought they did a much better job with the characters than I was expecting, honestly. They're young kids thrown into an impossible situation; it didn't take much for me to care about them.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised people are saying they found it emotionless. I was so drawn into it and I thought they did a much better job with the characters than I was expecting, honestly. They're young kids thrown into an impossible situation; it didn't take much for me to care about them.

I thought the reveal that he had a wife and a kid at the end was extremely well done and changed how I viewed a lot of things he did.

That completely blew me away

Johnlenham

Oct 29, 2017
Saw it last night and my wfe cried the whole way through the post cow milk scene and again at the river exit bit.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the reveal that he had a wife and a kid at the end was extremely well done and changed how I viewed a lot of things he did.

That completely blew me away
Yup.

Great movie. I don't get the story lacks "substance" complaints.. there was enough there to make me care about the characters.

Characters -> Plot always.

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The last movie I saw was Hacksaw Ridge before seeing this one. I enjoyed both. HR has a bit more background and 1917 dives right in and slows somewhat towards the end. I guess maybe I didn't expect the end to be so sudden but I still liked it a lot overall.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm a little confused. The farm looks REALLY abandoned and destroyed but there's no bodies BUT someone recently milked a cow BUT the Germans shot a bunch of cows. Did the farmers just leave or did a German milk it but didn't have time to take the milk with them?

Deleted member 32679

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Watched it last night. First time going to an AMC theater and wow Regal is bare bones in comparison. This movie is what I wanted Dunkirk to be. The sets appeared lived in and not an empty beach with just men and barely any equipment or vehicles around.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Found it a great cinema experience, saw it on a huge screen and it was very good. Really good tension through the majority of the film.

I think it lacked a bit towards the end. Not bad, just, didn't end quite as powerfully as I expected, after the Town scene, it lacked any real oumph for me. Not bad by any means, just didn't take the film to that next level. It's naturally going to draw comparisons to Dunkirk, and I don't think it really hit the same highs.

Another minor point, I dislike how:
Every German he meets is a dickhead.

Like, the film is surely emphasising "War is hell" and it does a good job of that in many ways, but I think here it missed an opportunity. Could have been much more powerful to have at least one of them be compassionate/friendly/sharing in pain.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, I thought that too but then there is a war on!
Yeah, it's not BAD or anything, or something I find troubling - it's completely explainable and reasonable in many ways. People are terrified and do anything. I do think the film could have been a lot more powerful with just one moment showing some sort of understanding though - there's one scene especially towards the end where you could have easily done that.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's not BAD or anything, or something I find troubling - it's completely explainable and reasonable in many ways. People are terrified and do anything. I do think the film could have been a lot more powerful with just one moment showing some sort of understanding though - there's one scene especially towards the end where you could have easily done that.
Yeah, I wish the German who they tried to save at least responded in kind.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it for a second time and even though I really like the musical score, I wish I could watch it without it and see what the effect would be

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from seeing it. Incredible cinematic experience. I felt a serious sense of dread throughout, even in the quieter bits because you just never know what's going to happen at any moment.

Not my fav film of the year but I think Mendes gets best director and it's well deserved. Really want to watch a making of to see how they made it.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little confused. The farm looks REALLY abandoned and destroyed but there's no bodies BUT someone recently milked a cow BUT the Germans shot a bunch of cows. Did the farmers just leave or did a German milk it but didn't have time to take the milk with them?
The farm was probably long abandoned and the Germans were recently conducting scorched earth tactics. After cutting down all those trees and moving the log to block the road, I'd imagine they wanted something refreshing to drink. They probably shot all but one of the cows to get some milk for themselves but were ordered to make a hasty retreat and had to abandon the bucket of milk.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
This was phenomenal. I liked Dunkirk a lot but even then it felt somewhat disconnected from the horrors of war. PG-13 rating with sterilized and toned down violence and hardly any emotional beats
(other than Barry Keoghan's character dying and the aftermath of it at the end)
hurts that movie quite a bit. I liked that 1917 was a technical showpiece but didn't shy away from showing corpses, rats, etc. throughout. If you make a war movie, that needs to be part of it.

I don't agree with people saying that the movie didn't have much emotional punch to it. Several scenes come to mind that I really liked:

- Blake's death and Schofield trying to console him
- Schofield on the back of the truck immediately after Blake's death while the soldiers around him are all joking around
- Schofield helping out the young woman and the baby she's taking care of before having to leave her behind
- Blake's brother breaking down when Schofield tells him his brother didn't make it, and Schofield telling him he'll write to their mother
- Schofield resting at the tree at the end and pulling out the photo of his wife and daughter(s), which was a reveal that retroactively gives his journey throughout the movie a lot more meaning if you go back and think about some of the moments. The scene with the woman and the baby in the town in particular. She asks him if he has a family and he just keeps talking to the baby instead. You can tell during that whole scene that the woman and her baby just reminds him of his family and he does everything he can to help them but he knows he can't stay.

I thought it was really well done. I definitely felt for them and the position they were forced to be in.

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from this. I quite liked it, the gimmick was very well done. It was thoroughly exhausting by the end. And seeing it before dinner, I too, was as hungry as the main character!

As impressive as the production is, it's not altogether memorable. I found myself thinking of PUBG the entire time.

^yeah, Wills slowburn exposition as a father was super! At the start he's just kinda the Luigi.

Oct 25, 2017
One thing the movie does that The Rise of Skywalker does not have are quiet contemplative moments that let the film breathe

less

Oct 25, 2017
Even after a day I eagerly want to see the trench run and flare scene again. Both appeal to me in very different but equal way. Some of my favorite moments in a film. Up there with stuff like First Man's lunar landing.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
copying my experience from that awkward oscar thread

That director played a lot of god of war

because holy hell, i didn't think a "single cut" movie could work this well. This director had this down to a T and i was telling my buddy throughout the movie outside of one scene to give a break/cut.

I wouldn't like it all the time, but damn.....it felt like you were on an actual journey with the main characters going through this long walk to get to their destination. It fucking worked so well

A LOT of beautiful shots too, that night time scene with the flares god damn

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Technically a beautiful film and it was pretty damn good, my biggest gripe:

Every german that chased him had stormtrooper (pun intended) level aim, even at like 10-15 feet away. That nighttime scene in the town when he meets the french girl is the worst offender here, bothered the hell out of me at how many close-range shots were missed.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Saw it tonight and was very impressed by it visually but I just couldn't get into the premise at all, it just wasn't believable.

Technically a beautiful film and it was pretty damn good, my biggest gripe:

Every german that chased him had stormtrooper (pun intended) level aim, even at like 10-15 feet away. That nighttime scene in the town when he meets the french girl is the worst offender here, bothered the hell out of me at how many close-range shots were missed.

I had the exact same thought watching it, just felt super contrived.

All in all I am glad I saw it in the theater but might have a hard time really recommending it to people I know.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it in Dolby, pretty incredible experience. The whole trench run thing was breathtaking.