• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Over-the-top arcade action meets coming-of-age drama, blurring the lines between game and reality. Welcome to 198X – where a new life is just 1 credit away.

Coming to PS4 & PC on June 20, 2019. Out soon on Switch & Xbox One.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Is it me or are all the games inspired by SEGA Genesis (Master System in the case of the RPG) library?

Outside of the shmup that I can't quite place. Looks like more of a Gradius or R-Type than Thunder Force.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Growing up with the Master System yeah they got me interested with the cheap pulls at my heart strings.

I can almost still remember playing R-Type and Shinobi for the first times, in 1987 when I was 5 years old.

Man I was blessed to have a game who was a gamer.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oooh I like the look of this, not the biggest fan of twenty-something angst or nostalgia trips but drama is what I have been craving to develop as a genre in gaming so I'm well up for this.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's coming out next month? Well I'm glad I just became aware of the game. Would have been a hard wait if I knew about it last year.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I'm super intrigued. Hopefully, they knock all game modes out of the park. If that's coupled with a really cool story, this could be something special.

Robert

Nov 15, 2017
I want more of whatever that end slate holds. I'll be keeping an eye on this! 😍

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Gonna keep my eye on this one -- definitely interested.

I'll opt to wait for the Switch release if PC/PS4 impressions turn out good next month.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
im very very interested. Hopefully turns out good. Will probably pick it up on PC but if the Xbox and Switch versions arent that far Ill wait for that instead.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no horizontal shmup looked that good until after the 80s. Lol

Also, sega's best scaler arcade games didn't look quite that smooth either.

If it can evoke a bunch of classic games while actually looking better that's IMO the best case scenario anwyay. I never really got why some people stuck so slavishly to even the bad parts of a retro style.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
If it can evoke a bunch of classic games while actually looking better that's IMO the best case scenario anwyay. I never really got why some people stuck so slavishly to even the bad parts of a retro style.

i don't really care in the case of the sega scaler stuff-- looks like it plays pretty close.

the horizontal shmups getting crazy bullet patterns like that wouldn't really be typical until the early 90s Toaplan stuff.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
its_beautiful.jpg

This looks absolutely insane, visually speaking. I'm far more interested in the "arcade action" than the "coming of age story", but the mood looks pretty nice too.

This came out of left field for me, did we know anything about it beforehand? I'm subbing to the thread so I don't forget about it, hopefully they'll put up a Switch page soon so I can wishlist it.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Is the idea that you play this arcade games and in between there is a coming of age story?

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I completely missed this KS, but it potentially looks amazing.
So much could be wrong with the execution, though.
Will definitely keep my eyes peeled for reviews.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Is it me or are all the games inspired by SEGA Genesis (Master System in the case of the RPG) library?

Outside of the shmup that I can't quite place. Looks like more of a Gradius or R-Type than Thunder Force.
That ninja game is definitely Strider inspired. Seems like the arcade games will bleed out into the protagonist's life based on that same ninja sitting atop the streetlight in the last shot.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
The shooter looks like thunder force 4.

And this can't be about growing up in arcades if there isn't a stabbing.

Oct 27, 2017
The shooter looks like thunder force 4.

And this can't be about growing up in arcades if there isn't a stabbing.
When I hear stuff like this I feel like I really missed out, in a way. I'm almost 40 and the only arcades I regularly visited were in malls and pretty chill. Even the rare cabinet I'd stumble upon was in a pretty normal gas station or Walmart.

Maybe it's a small town thing.