• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is made by the legendary Tobias Bjarneby who made video games in sweden popular in the 80s. He is also very good friends with some legendary japaneae developers (interviewed miyamoto countless times in the 90s)

Bjarneby1.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Tobias Bjarneby was head of a swedish gaming magazine, LEVEL (now dead) that had a gaming forum attached to it. At the time that the 198X kickstarter came online they used that forum, with many dedicated users, to gather backers for their game. Not long after, they decided to unannounced shut down that forum because it was not economically viable, which created a lot of illwill among users towards the leadership, not the least because of the timing.

So while this game looks good, I can't help but feel a bitter taste just looking at it.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
We're not expecting this to include full fledged games for all those genres, are we ?

198X

May 28, 2019
First of all, thanks everyone for your interest in our pixel passion project. We are first and foremost trying to recreate the feeling of playing arcade games – and the atmosphere around them – in the late 80s, even if we use a few tricks that might not have been technically available on December 31, 1989. But all our major inspirations in terms of games and genres, were definitely released sometime in 198X.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
First of all, thanks everyone for your interest in our pixel passion project. We are first and foremost trying to recreate the feeling of playing arcade games – and the atmosphere around them – in the late 80s, even if we use a few tricks that might not have been technically available on December 31, 1989. But all our major inspirations in terms of games and genres, were definitely released sometime in 198X.
It looks great so far. Excited to see more.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's amazing how after 30 years the '80s have been distilled down to this one particular aesthetic, but if you actually went back to the '80s you wouldn't really see it much at all, since it's an amalgam of several things.

Of course, in the '80s we had our own version of a '50s aesthetic, which this new aesthetic includes and perceives as an '80s thing, so this is just time repeating itself.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth

Thanks for the info. It looks really amazing! Are the arcade games basically "full" games in there?

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're not expecting this to include full fledged games for all those genres, are we ?

From the official site:

"198X is built around five distinct arcade games, each inspired by classic themes and genres. These fully playable games feature several full-blown stages with familiar settings and unmistakable core mechanics, as well as unique twists and unexpected turns."

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Wow that trailer was way more gripping than I expected. I think...I think I want to wait until Switch though.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2017
When I hear stuff like this I feel like I really missed out, in a way. I'm almost 40 and the only arcades I regularly visited were in malls and pretty chill. Even the rare cabinet I'd stumble upon was in a pretty normal gas station or Walmart.

Maybe it's a small town thing.
I grew up in NYC and went to arcades in flushing. All types of people of all ages played games. During the Street Fighter 2 craze when having a big screen machine in an arcade was common you also had fights with some escalating into stabbings. Even in pizza shops, bodegas, and laundry mats you had fights over street fighter. At like 9 or 10 years old I got sucker punched by like a 16 year old kid for low and high tiger spam in Hyper Fighting and had to get my cousin to beat his ass.

I used to go to the Super Amusements (had a few names before it went under) in queens. You had a lot of fighting game machines in there, especially a ton of street fighter. You also had a race track betting place next to it and the area was just overall a scummy place. You had good people mixed in with some real scum bags and arcade gaming was the reason for this. I was around when one stabbing happened (I didn't realized what happened) and a second incident happened but I missed it by like half hour because I left. There were some I heard of and I'm sure a bunch more that I didn't.

I made friends because of arcades. Smoked my first cig and joint near an arcade. Got into fist fights due to arcades. A decent amount of my young life arcades had something to do with it. There were good folks at arcades. But there was also really scummy people who brought legit bad shit with them. These types brought with them extreme violence and addictions to hard drugs and/or gambling. You had nerds, athletes, tough guys, asian gangsters, black gangsters, spanish gangsters, drug addicts, gamblers, suits, teachers in training, paramedics, amish seeing what life is like outside their bubble and whole bunch of other types of people that I can't remember. I rub elbows with all types of people at arcades. People socialized with people they would never usually socialize with. Because of this I saw some people fall hard and some people rose up that I never expected to, greatly improving themselves.

I don't know of any current social settings where different types of people can gather like this. Where different types of people can have a huge effect on each other.

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up in NYC and went to arcades in flushing. All types of people of all ages played games. During the Street Fighter 2 craze when having a big screen machine in an arcade was common you also had fights with some escalating into stabbings. Even in pizza shops, bodegas, and laundry mats you had fights over street fighter. At like 9 or 10 years old I got sucker punched by like a 16 year old kid for low and high tiger spam in Hyper Fighting and had to get my cousin to beat his ass.

I used to go to the Super Amusements (had a few names before it went under) in queens. You had a lot of fighting game machines in there, especially a ton of street fighter. You also had a race track betting place next to it and the area was just overall a scummy place. You had good people mixed in with some real scum bags and arcade gaming was the reason for this. I was around when one stabbing happened (I didn't realized what happened) and a second incident happened but I missed it by like half hour because I left. There were some I heard of and I'm sure a bunch more that I didn't.

I made friends because of arcades. Smoked my first cig and joint near an arcade. Got into fist fights due to arcades. A decent amount of my young life arcades had something to do with it. There were good folks at arcades. But there was also really scummy people who brought legit bad shit with them. These types brought with them extreme violence and addictions to hard drugs and/or gambling. You had nerds, athletes, tough guys, asian gangsters, black gangsters, spanish gangsters, drug addicts, gamblers, suits, teachers in training, paramedics, amish seeing what life is like outside their bubble and whole bunch of other types of people that I can't remember. I rub elbows with all types of people at arcades. People socialized with people they would never usually socialize with. Because of this I saw some people fall hard and some people rose up that I never expected to, greatly improving themselves.

I don't know of any current social settings where different types of people can gather like this. Where different types of people can have a huge effect on each other.
That's beautiful! Thanks for sharing that.

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US

Very interesting story. I had a similar experience growing up and going to arcades.

Could this be the first game I 100%? Definitely getting this for PC.

Deleted member 49185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
This looks beautiful! I tried to find a link for this game on Steam and didn't find one. When do you expect there to be a page up so I can put it on my whitelist?

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This looks beautiful! I tried to find a link for this game on Steam and didn't find one. When do you expect there to be a page up so I can put it on my whitelist?
Steam page seems to be up now:

store.steampowered.com

198X on Steam

Part 1 of arcade epic 198X. A coming-of-age story told through multiple games and genres. Experience the thrill of shooting, driving, jumping, fighting and role-playing in 5 full-blown arcade stages – combined with cinematic pixel-art storytelling.

Since it's not available on the mac I'm waiting for the PS4 version. Wasn't this supposed to be out today as well?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Wait it's out!? Oh it's episodic. Crap, do I get it now? I'd rather be able to consume it all at my pace.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Got the PS4 version yesterday. Played only for about 20 mins, but it's lovely. The art is simply stunning, the music is nice and it has a real charming, relaxing vibe. The nostalgia is great. I hope it stays this way. Can''t say too much about the story yet.

DOA

Oct 26, 2017
It's amazing how after 30 years the '80s have been distilled down to this one particular aesthetic, but if you actually went back to the '80s you wouldn't really see it much at all, since it's an amalgam of several things.

Of course, in the '80s we had our own version of a '50s aesthetic, which this new aesthetic includes and perceives as an '80s thing, so this is just time repeating itself.
think about the 3rd back to the future, how Marty was dressed when he went to the wild west

EDIT: just now realizing that i'm answering a 2 months message

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Just heard about this game. Looks pretty cool! For anyone who has finished it, how many hours did it take? Is there much replay value?

I'm definitely interested whenever it drops on Switch. I wonder if they're going to try and price it more than the PS4 version just because it's on Switch though.

Err0rsy

Oct 29, 2017
KY
I bought this the other day and it is fairly short. It took a few hours to complete. But it was a good nostalgia trip for sure. The story hit home for me personally, as it reminded me how I grew up. Its worth the $10 if you ask me.

The replayability is a little weak as it only suggests finishing portions of the game in ways you would think. (Not getting hit/killed, ect.). The music stays great and the pixel animation is very late 80s - the trailer does a fantastic job at minimally describing what you're getting.

I enjoyed it and would probably revisit at some point to 100% it out.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's worth playing for the awesome art and music, especially if you're a fan of the era, even though the story is a bit cheesy so far. The mini-games don't really have much in terms of challenge. Shadowplay, the ninja endless runner, is the best part. The racing game lacks intensity.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017

Thanks for sharing this incredible piece of your life and arcade history. I never got to experience it (and with stabbings as part of it, I'm glad), but it does sound wonderful and weird in a way that as you said cannot be found elsewhere.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I just found this on the Japanese eshop! I need more impressions. It looks really cool!

Sorry for the bump, but making a thread to say "I found out about a game" seems silly.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I just found this on the Japanese eshop! I need more impressions. It looks really cool!

Sorry for the bump, but making a thread to say "I found out about a game" seems silly.
Don't be sorry. It should get more attention. It's really short but rather unique. The music and visuals are really great and it's a nice experience. Really liked the story they tried to tell.