• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Chicago it's not super expensive but it's not cheap and the taxes here are extremely high. We bring in mid six figures and we were looking for a house and couldn't afford shit worth a damn.

Where are you looking and do you both have a decent amount saved up? I'm Chicago as well with no serious plans to buy a place until I get my student loans down below 10K so that the interest doesn't hurt.

I was casually looking around and there were homes in Lakeview for $200K to $250K... They went fast

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
Unless they post how many black men are in America so I can see if a good percentage of us are doing well I can't get a real good picture

Like is it 2.5million out of 50million black men or 25million just an example

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't age put them before the war on drugs? I like to see done with folks in their 40s

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you looking and do you both have a decent amount saved up? I'm Chicago as well with no serious plans to buy a place until I get my student loans down below 10K so that the interest doesn't hurt.

I was casually looking around and there were homes in Lakeview for $200K to $250K... They went fast

We decided not to buy because everything in our range wasnt what we were looking for but we were looking up to 325k for a two bed two bath and the options were not great. There was one place in Buena Park we liked but we didn't like it enough to buy it. With the property taxes and HOA even with a decent downpayment it would have been 1k more than we spend for rent so it wasn't worth it.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Wait ... how much is considered upper class? My fiancé and I are above 200k a year, how much more do I need to be considered a black male in the upper class. I don't feel anywhere close to upper class.

My guy your combined income is well above the average middle class bracket

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Heartening news is always welcome but I could do without the subtle bootstrap bias they provide in the passage.

Wait ... how much is considered upper class? My fiancé and I are above 200k a year, how much more do I need to be considered a black male in the upper class. I don't feel anywhere close to upper class.

Same. My wife and I make a hair under 200k and I probably have a heart attack if someone said that I'm upper class. Classes are notoriously difficult to define but if they're describing upper class as anything below 300k or so then I can't agree with the definition.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you make over 200k a year you are firmly in the upper-middle class. You make more money than the vast majority of people do.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Heartening news is always welcome but I could do without the subtle bootstrap bias they provide in the passage.

Same. My wife and I make a hair under 200k and I probably have a heart attack if someone said that I'm upper class. Classes are notoriously difficult to define but if they're describing upper class as anything below 300k or so then I can't agree with the definition.
That's a great household income. Are you in a high cost area?

Median household income is 50k. You're close to 4x that.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

unless you live in like DC, NYC, or the Bay Area, there's no way you could be pulling close to 200k and not think you're upper class. Tf?

Jun 10, 2018

As someone else said, you're definitely in the middle class, if not upper middle class.

Your cost of living must be putting a dent in your finances, which is sadly the case for many middle class Americans.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
unless you live in like DC, NYC, or the Bay Area, there's no way you could be pulling close to 200k and not think you're upper class. Tf?

Here's my view.

Yesterday my wife and I went shopping at the Mag Mile, a popular shopping/touristy area out here in Chicago. We drove up to the area, parked and went on a short walk before shopping. As we walked we noticed all of the people out on Lake Michigan enjoying the weather from their private boats. Those people are upper class. As were the people spilling out of their lake-facing condos to walk their designer dogs.

If those people woke up tomorrow and made what we made, they would jump off of their boats with cement shoes on.

Now I think that we are solidly middle class, no denying that. We're comfortable enough to go shopping in a nice area. And the people in those stores helping us shop are probably lower/working class. The people begging outside of the shops were obviously in abject poverty.

That's what the classes look like from my perspective.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my view.

Yesterday my wife and I went shopping at the Mag Mile, a popular shopping/touristy area out here in Chicago. We drove up to the area, parked and went on a short walk before shopping. As we walked we noticed all of the people out on Lake Michigan enjoying the weather from their private boats. Those people are upper class. As were the people spilling out of their lake-facing condos to walk their designer dogs.

If those people woke up tomorrow and made what we made, they would jump off of their boats with cement shoes on.

Now I think that we are solidly middle class, no denying that. We're comfortable enough to go shopping in a nice area. And the people in those stores helping us shop are probably lower/working class. The people begging outside of the shops were obviously in abject poverty.

That's what the classes look like from my perspective.

Same city and same POV. I would say we are staunchly middle class. We don't spend money like crazy have a nice rental in a decent area and a regular car. The people I think are upper class are the ones in the Loop and Streeterville having 200+ dollar dinners weekly and living in the lakeside condos. I grew up in a military town in the south and if we made what we make in Chicago there we would be upper class for sure.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Man, I make barely 60k. Single income household of five. Living comfortable, but certainly not luxurious, Small home on 1/4 acre plot, used cars, some cool electronics junk...

If I made 200k I'd be a fucking king, and would probably be semi-retired by now.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I make barely 60k. Single income household of five. Living comfortable, but certainly not luxurious Small home on 1/4 acre plot, used cars, some cool electronics junk...

If I made 200k I'd be a fucking king, and would probably be semi-retired by now.

My household income is more than double yours and it sounds like you can afford a lot more. It just depends on where you live. I always thought making six figures would make you rich and it's far from the truth.