• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
37f83e6e5c7239778620099135f51092.jpg
i think i was rather clear. i enjoyed witcher 3, but at no point did i think the gameplay was dope as hell. at best it was serviceable. as such i'm not just taking it on faith that cd projekt red can make a totally different kind of game and it will turn out great.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Yeah I think they are trying to not spoil a lot in the game but Pacifica looks really dull. The appeal that first demo footage seems to have been lost in whoever decided to go with the current demos. But it also makes me slightly concerned at what else is actually in the game.

Pacifica is very specific, it's the one district that is deserted except for 2 rival gangs ... so it's not densely populated :/
This was not the best demo material but i guess it most likely was as a result the most polished one to fork for the E3 demo (because there are fewer npcs and things going on in the background)...

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
i think i was rather clear. i enjoyed witcher 3, but at no point did i think the gameplay was dope as hell. at best it was serviceable. as such i'm not just taking it on faith that cd projekt red can make a totally different kind of game and it will turn out great.
I get it now - I basically read that as "after the Witcher III, CDPR can't be trusted to make a great game".

I see what you mean now :)

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I remain confident that Cyberpunk 2077 will have decent (but not fantastic) gameplay. I don't expect top-notch shooting and driving from a company that has never done either.

I also wonder if Pacifica keeps getting shown because the denser districts simply aren't polished enough to show yet.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I remain confident that Cyberpunk 2077 will have decent (but not fantastic) gameplay. I don't expect top-notch shooting and driving from a company that has never done either.
Those are legitimate concerns, but I think they'll nail both of those aspects. I remember hearing that they have a guy on the team specifically for the first person shooting gameplay - like he was a champion or something and he's helping them to get that gameplay on lock; so they probably have someone that's worked on driving mechanics in games to get that down as well.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I also wonder if Pacifica keeps getting shown because the denser districts simply aren't polished enough to show yet.

This is the build they used for E3 2019 (with some minor patches maybe like they patched 2018 build during E3). No reason to spend resources making in new demo for every different event when they do big gaming event every 1 to 2 weeks.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My main concern is how they portray minorities. As a Latino, the first demo really threw me off. I know a lot of people say this is supposed to be a horrible world, but you can do all of that without stereotypical lines and ideals. But I'm okay with the game not being for me. There are plenty of others.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
All three videos that have leaked so far look good to me. I figured they did a 180 after PAX with the whole edited segment because the demo was really rough, but it doesn't look rough at all based on these leaks.

Pretty confused now as to why they didn't just release it. Far more effective than the chopped up hype reel we got imo.

Also, I'm already getting hyped about the ambient soundtrack, it sounds so good. Like a solid balance between something ethereal like Vangelis' Blade Runner score and more aggressive stuff like Dredd. Can definitely hear the Dredd influence, so I'm guessing a lot of this is Paul Leonard-Morgan.

This might be my most anticipated game of all time, but I think its a huge mistake from a marketing perspective showing these gameplay demos in Pacifica. My reasoning is that one of the core aspects that makes Cyberpunk such an interesting game it's the setting, the verticality, those hypnotic neon signs. Pacifica makes the game look like a mundane shooter from the early 2000s. I understand from a story standpoint why Pacifica looks the way it does, but there is no denying that it looks BLAND AS HELL. Everything is gray, empty garages, bland looking buildings... again, I understand from a story and design standpoint why, but I wish they really would stop showing Pacifica. Its a setting SO so bland that I think it's going to kill the hype for a lot of people.

In my opinion the first trailer and gameplay demo was perfect..
I think Pacifica looks cool. I like the idea of sparser, more dangerous sections on the outskirts of the city. Makes for a good contrast to the bustling downtown areas.

That being said, I agree that for marketing purposes pre-release it may have been better to stick to more visually striking / busier districts. Though part of me thinks that those districts just straight up aren't ready yet. I may be forgetting something, but it seems like for the past year now we haven't gotten a single piece of media that wasn't from Pacifica. Every video and all the random screenshots seem to be sourced from the same demo.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Those are legitimate concerns, but I think they'll nail both of those aspects. I remember hearing that they have a guy on the team specifically for the first person shooting gameplay - like he was a champion or something and he's helping them to get that gameplay on lock; so they probably have someone that's worked on driving mechanics in games to get that down as well.
That is not going to change people's expectations since they have different tastes and what they expect from shooter or driving gameplay. Its important to realize that these games are much greater than the sum of their parts. The Bioshocks, Deus Exs, Fallouts, Elder Scrolls, do not excel in the basic core mechanics of shooting and action combat but still excel as excellent gameplay experiences overall.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna hold off from watching these vids, the temptation is real tho

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
After Witcher 3 I've become a huge fan of this developer and I want to have faith in them and this game. I love the setting and while I'm absolutely disappointed it doesn't have a third person camera, I can live with that.

But I just need to see more. After Witcher 3 I really expected one thing, and that is interesting, memorable characters. The characters we've seen so far (last year footage, this year) they all seem rather stereotypical and not all that interesting. Hope so much that I'm dead wrong.

If it ends up not being my cup of tea, I'll just have to be extremely patient and wait for what's next for Witcher.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
My main concern is how they portray minorities. As a Latino, the first demo really threw me off. I know a lot of people say this is supposed to be a horrible world, but you can do all of that without stereotypical lines and ideals. But I'm okay with the game not being for me. There are plenty of others.

Yeah that Jackie guy was horrible in that first gameplay demo. He really sounds like he is written by someone who is not Latino and watched a David Ayer movie or something.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
For fuck sake........... .. .. .. .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I believe it was a longer version of this video from an off-angle.

It was also in potato footage where you can barely see anything. I don't have a link though.

Yes, iirc, it was a more direct gameplay version of this. I never saw it myself to avoid spoilers that the official version avoids.

Because I wanna see it. Someone liked me to here from Reddit. I was surprised when I saw an Era thread about it. How did I missi it!

Kind of rude to not show proper etiquette when necrobumping.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I believe it was a longer version of this video from an off-angle.

It was also in potato footage where you can barely see anything. I don't have a link though.

Yeah it was a slightly more extended version of the contents and missions in this officially released clip.

I almost freak out every time i see a leak thread and then get super bummed when I see it was simply bumped from last year. Blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.