• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Who the hell was playing this demo? My goodness, maybe the sensitivity on the controller wasn't turned up- as if the player was having trouble controlling camera and just strafing. And besides the fact that maybe hit detection was still being polished, running around with a pipe and fists for the majority through gunfire just seemed insane. I wish we could've gotten a more proper look at some of the vampiric abilities - I still don't understand what the super flip is for, to get behind enemies or melee?

It's times like these I wish the developer put out and narrated their own take on their demo. I love the ambiance of the game, the hilarious club dancing being back brought a huge smile to my face. The demo seemed rough all around, but whoever was playing didn't showcase it well at all.

The game being developed is a dream realized for a lot of us - I'm just hoping we get more proper footage and explanations of what the game can play like. Because this wasn't it - I want the game to be everything, and a better presentation would be more than appreciated. Especially as this is the first proper footage we've seen.

MisterNugNug

Oct 27, 2017
Yo. This is set in Seattle right? I know exactly where this character is. He outside the Trinity nightclub in Pioneer Square right by Jackson and the ID.

**Edit**
Correct!

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Looks really rough, even considering the fact that whoever playing the demo had to idea what he was doing. Combat looks really, really bad. Thank god there is still over six months to work on it.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
The faces of the NPC when bitten aren't convincing at the moment. They're like "oh bummer!". Hoping it'll change. Otherwise it looks nice. Can't wait to play it

Edit: The big fight around 15:00 is really rough though.

Helloween

Oct 27, 2017
The game looks amazing but i think the person playing was drunk? Yeesh. Love that we seems to have another Vampiress club owner!

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ughh the player is indeed bad or perhaps not used to the controller since they seem to navigate around the environment somewhat competently?

Anyway shame the player doesn't exactly make the game shine, but I'm loving all these dialogue options.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
I have to say that even if the player is bad, the demo starts perfectly:

qUtWoT5.gif

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Combat seems very clunky atm but other than that it seems pretty cool. Cant wait to see the finished game!

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
The part of me that loves Dark Messiah of Might and Magic really enjoys how you can send enemies flying after a lethal melee blow.

Also good to hear that Brian Mitsoda is reprising his role as a TV reporter. This really does feel like Bloodlines 1.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Oh.

Ooooooh noooo.

That was... rough. That was Steam Early Access with better lighting.

I guess this is where we chant "It's only an alpha" while gently rocking back and forth. I am going to need to see some truly transformative improvements before I spend money or time on that. Ooph.

And someone get this poor bastard a mouse and keyboard. Watching that crosshair inching painfully across the screen made my teeth hurt.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they're thinking about how that UI is going to be readable on a TV from a reasonable distance for console players. That text message popup in particular is small even on my monitor in full screen.

I'm excited, but it's definitely looking pretty rough at the moment.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Oh.

Ooooooh noooo.

I guess this is where we chant "It's only an alpha" while gently rocking back and forth. I am going to need to see some truly transformative improvements before I spend money or time on that. Ooph.

And someone get this poor bastard a mouse and keyboard. Watching that crosshair inching painfully across the screen made my teeth hurt.
I thought it looked really good for a pre-alpha build.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Fundam

The faces of the NPC when bitten aren't convincing at the moment. They're like "oh bummer!". Hoping it'll change. Otherwise it looks nice. Can't wait to play it

Edit: The big fight around 15:00 is really rough though.
This is true, really draw out that bite o-face :D

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah ok so the person playing is bad at games which magnifies it, but even adjusting for that the game was very rough during combat, both firearms and melee. The social stuff looks good at least.

Oct 25, 2017
Combat looks rough, but with reasonable tempered expectations I don't find it that offensive. Also they were clearly using a controller when I plan to use KB+M.

Deleted member 8117

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have a feeling this is a mere convenience option (and turned on by default for the demo, for sake of people like this poor fellow who was clearly overwhelmed or smashed lol).

idk it didn't feel like the dialogue gave you enough hints on where should you go. It feels designed around quest markers.

Hopefully it's just a demo thing.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
idk it didn't feel like the dialogue gave you enough hints on where should you go. It feels designed around quest markers.

Hopefully it's just a demo thing.
They talked up hints in the world to lead players without markers, and it should be borne in mind that this is a hub and not an open world, so there's a focus (and a hard limit on how hopelessly, laughably lost you can get).

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Bitten face is totally off. Mostly because victims should be experiencing the orgasm of their lives while seeing their lives being drained away by some unholy monstrosity. It should be a transcendental experience, not a shart. There's also the issue of bitten bodies being tossed as if they had no weight. This can still be fixed, I guess.

Other than that, I absolutely adore that Toreador lady (even if her neck is freakisly long) and the variety of Nossies. Voice acting is also very, very good.

Fake edit: IGN still has no thumbs.

Jan 28, 2019
NYC-Miami
Gawd this was terrible, sluggish..especially fight scenes and very PCish like, hard to explain. Was looking forward this dropping for the consoles on my X or next gen in general..no ty, I'll pass.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could bitch and moan about the incompetent player or stiff animations or clunky combat, but who the fuck cares when we are getting proper Bloodlines sequel with fantastic atmosphere and exactly the RPG elements I wanted to see? Plus dancing.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Gawd this was terrible, sluggish..especially fight scenes and very PCish like, hard to explain. Was looking forward this dropping for the consoles on my X or next gen in general..no ty, I'll pass.
Do bear in mind how far away this game (still) is from launch. If it was a month out? Yeah, that level of polish is basically locked in.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Man, this again shows how a presentation of a game can be butchered when the player playing that game is horrible at it.. even worse, it looked like the player never before played a game with a controller, which is really bad.. still, the game looks fantastic, atmosphere, VA and writing are top notch only those facial and combat animations need a bit work, but they have still time for that

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jesus IGN, just remove this video while you still can and take your losses.

Genuinely looks like someone is controlling that with one hand at times. Not going to bother with the rest of the video. :/

Jul 24, 2018
All the things that were great about Bloodlines look good here. It is never going to be the crazy high budget darling that a lot of people in here like. I'm definitely optimistic about it.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Do you guys seriously complain about combat while the person playing is playing with controller for the first time in their life?

Like, my eyes hurt. The melee combat @7 minute mark is god awful. What are they doing.

Jul 24, 2018
Still worried about animation. Facial expressiveness was one of the first games very strongest points
Right, but as games get more graphically demanding, they also get more expensive to make compared to a game released 15 years ago. You can't do those kinds of RPGs with modern graphics without compromising.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
The dance is back ! The dance is fucking back ! 10/10 ! Into my veins !

But yeah, whoever was playing was clearly using a controller and terrible at it. But that can be excused from someone trying it for the first time in an expo.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Still have not played the original despite owning it for years lol
Super excited for this.

Maybe I should buy vampyr for my vampire fix 🤔

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
Oh.

Ooooooh noooo.

I could see a good combat system in there. I suspect the player and setup weren't doing the build any favours.

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
Will wait for someone who is competent with combat and movements controls before making final judgments.

World and characters look great. Animations are a bit stiff.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Unrefined as the animations are, I did notice that there's directional hit feedback on the NPCs in combat (nice touch).

I could see a good combat system in there. I suspect the player and setup weren't doing the build any favours.
They were not very good. No partial feeds, very few combat feeds, almost no use of Nebulation in combat, no use of Thaumaturgy whatsoever, lots of idle blood pool, lots of random button mashing.

Oct 26, 2017
Even ignoring the fact the player had problems with the controller, you can see this is too pre-alpha. The stiff animations, the general combat flow, the AI...

in a way, this is REALLY the sequel of Bloodlines, lol.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I have to say, I hope the interface is beta.

Granted, OG Bloodlines is a thing of its era, but it looked pretty, pretty bad in the video.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say, I hope the interface is beta.

Granted, OG Bloodlines is a thing of its era, but it looked pretty, pretty bad in the video.
The health and frenzy bar (I assume it's a Frenzy bar underneath it) definitely look very first draftesque. I love how the area indicator snaps into and out of the compass, though.