• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Is there someone named Luke working on the game or something? Couldn't help but notice the random Arabic graffiti at 7:43 (لوك).

Nemesis-T Type

Alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Shouldn't have that Slugg guy been dusted when he got his head cut off?

Vamps burst into flames when they suffer the final death

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
The atmosphere is so fucking good. That was the most important thing for me and they already nailed it. Can't wait to play this.

Oct 28, 2017
Its always so painful to realise that a demo is being done on controller for a game that is primarily for PC. Watching someone slowly turn around and not be able to react properly to anything is just awful. Like watching someone get killed in a slasher flick.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Don't really care about the combat, but why was the player using a steering wheel.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I'm sure that a lot of what we see now will get improved. And with the whole GaaS model they're running with all the planned DLC packs, then I expect the final product to be fixed more and more as we go on.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
The developers are also based in Seattle which was partially the decision for that setting. So expect some authenticity.
I always get weirded out by games set in Seattle. It's such a different city compared to a lot of other common game settings, like New York City and its umpteenth half-baked clone (Empire City, Liberty City, Chicago, you get the idea). For one, it's more overcast than it is rainy throughout the year, and the entire city is ridiculously hilly. I can't think of many games to get Seattle "right". Even Sucker Punch, who're located in Bellevue, made Seattle into two islands and basically turned it into "New York, but with rain and trees".

This looks... far more promising than that. Like time actually went into making the city look and feel like Seattle, not just "Seattle, except I looked for a second too long and now it's unrecognizable".

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Looks incredible, but developers need to stop giving IGN these demos when it's pretty damn clear no-one over there knows to play games.

First Escape from Gears and now this.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks incredible, but developers need to stop giving IGN these demos when it's pretty damn clear no-one over there knows to play games.

It is easy to be critical, but do we know for sure that the player wasn't using a dance mat?

Because if they did ... well it still isn't quite there but it is early in development.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017

They have so many folks on the show floor to cover as many appointments as possible. In the end, they care more about maximum coverage than they do quality of a few gameplay videos, leading to stuff like this. While it does result in pretty consistently low-quality output across the board during trade shows like this, it does wonders for ad revenue, and in the end, it's more effective in the long-term to cover a lot of games poorly than it is to cover a few games well.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Its always so painful to realise that a demo is being done on controller for a game that is primarily for PC. Watching someone slowly turn around and not be able to react properly to anything is just awful. Like watching someone get killed in a slasher flick.

the actual painful part is that the entire gamedesign and gameplay design is produced for such an infuriatingly shit input tool. It doesnt matter if youre gonna use m/kb later on pc. Its just gonna break the gameplay, because its designed for pads.

Oct 28, 2017
the actual painful part is that the entire gamedesign and gameplay design is produced for such an infuriatingly shit input tool. It doesnt matter if youre gonna use m/kb later on pc. Its just gonna break the gameplay, because its designed for pads.

Reminds me of people saying the latest Division 2 raid is too difficult on controllers. Its a third person shooter, of course it requires the ability to snap your aim around. Good luck doing that on a controller.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
I mean it just seems like the person playing is really shit at games, seems to be a common thing with journalists and people who demo these games at conferences. It'd be ridiculous to use this as an argument of games being held back by being designed for controllers. These topics were discussed to death years ago during the resurgence of PC gaming and it was decided that PC elitism is a cancer, don't bring it back.

Otherwise it looks like the game is looking really good.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I mean it just seems like the person playing is really shit at games, seems to be a common thing with journalists and people who demo these games at conferences. It'd be ridiculous to use this as an argument of games being held back by being designed for controllers. These topics were discussed to death years ago during the resurgence of PC gaming and it was decided that PC elitism is a cancer, don't bring it back.

Otherwise it looks like the game is looking really good.

What elitism are you talking about? Controllers are extremely ineficient at most everything. And games need an enormous amount of acomodations in order to be playable on controllers. Modern games do a lot of the work for you, so you have the illusion that pads work great. They dont. Theres no elitism involved. Its just how it is.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
What elitism are you talking about? Controllers are extremely ineficient at most everything. And games need an enormous amount of acomodations in order to be playable on controllers. Modern games do a lot of the work for you, so you have the illusion that pads work great. They dont. Theres no elitism involved. Its just how it is.
I have no such illusions, I know that pads are great for playing games.

And this is the elitism I'm talking about, I've seen you pop up spouting this nonsense before. Looking through your post history is kinda sad how often you harp on about it.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Looks rough, multiple repeating NPC and voice lines even in that short demo and encounters being "rooms" of enemies with questionable AI thrown at you. Hand to hand combat and animations need a lot of work as well, though the person playing didn't help matters.

Hopefully it gets worked on and polished leading up to release.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I have no such illusions, I know that pads are great for playing games.

And this is the elitism I'm talking about, I've seen you pop up spouting this nonsense before. Looking through your post history is kinda sad how often you harp on about it.

They are so great that games need aim assist, magnetism for almost every action, large window of inaction for enemies, stoping time when you open a menu, wheels that slow time because you need to cicle through everything, large cones for bullet spread when firing a weapon because you cant demand pin point accuracy and so on. They're really great for gaming and im just being elitist for no reason, huh? None of these controller convention would need to exist in a game that would be designed strictly for m/kb.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
They are so great that games need aim assist, magnetism for almost every action, large window of inaction for enemies, stoping time when you open a menu, wheels that slow time because you need to cicle through everything, large cones for bullet spread when firing a weapon because you cant demand pin point accuracy and so on. They're really great for gaming and im just being elitist for no reason, huh? None of these controller convention would need to exist in a game that would be designed strictly for m/kb.
Oh no, a game has aim assist and slows time when I open a menu, the game has been ruined!

Pads are great for a lot of games yes. But shooters and especially first-person games is definitely not something they are really good for.

Pads are great for shooters too, I play the majority of FPS games of console if they're available because I prefer it.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Really looking forward to playing this but you can tell it is in alpha, needs a lot of work, animations (both facial and in general, especially facial though) look especially rough.

Still, there is a long time until this gets released so plenty of time to fix these issues.

Looks great otherwise imo.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
you dont seem to have an ounce of idea about the subject, do you? I guess we'll leave it at that.
I disagree which means I'm not knowledgeable? Sure, that's a good way to dismiss an argument. You paint all those things as negative, I don't.

Not that I really want an argument as you'll clearly never see the benefits of games being designed primarily for controllers. I'll just continue watching you rant about console games ruining your PC games from the shadows.

Last edited:

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks really rough, even considering the fact that whoever playing the demo had to idea what he was doing. Combat looks really, really bad. Thank god there is still over six months to work on it.
They need at least a year, i waiting for years i can still wait longer

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I hate videos from people who can't play a game for shit. Or the game is still really rough but these videos are never helpful to a game, especially when it's some of the first real footage

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Combat definitely needs some polishing, it's really hit or miss (no pun intended) and some actions seem pretty satisfying while some others look super rough, it may benefit from a soft lock-on system among some other things IMO.

That said, the rest of it looks way better than it has any right to lol, it's oozing atmosphere and the art direction is brilliant, plus the enhanced mobility feels great. I feel that if they truly nail down the combat, it will be a really special game that will resonate with the mainstream as well as long time fans.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I assume this "pre-alpha" build is why the combat is terrible and the controller doesn't seem to work right.

The quest design looks good though. Lots of options and not just binary good guy/bad guy ones.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
That goofy ass dancing in the beginning made me smile.

Also, yeah, player needs to turn sensitivity way up. Even with a controller you can move the camera much faster than that. I'm sure they've got an option in the menu.

I used to live in Seattle and I'm happy to be able to recognize places in the game, and this is looking like a way more realistic take on the city than what Infamous: Second Son had.

Can't wait. But these gameplay demos from E3 are funny. It's like when someone played Shenmue for 15 minutes with music turned off. Just why?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The atmosphere/environmental design looks great.
I don't mind if the combat is not amazing, since it's a first-person RPG - though the person playing the demo isn't helping.
I agree that facial animations could use some work. While exaggerated, characters in Bloodlines were very expressive, and I'm not seeing that here. Plain expressions and basic lip-sync.

I really, really hope that there is an option to lock the game into first-person though.
Having the game constantly switching to third-person is very distracting - especially for single animations in the middle of combat.
I know that the original Bloodlines was not locked to first-person at all times, as melee combat forced you into third-person, but this seems worse with the way that it jumps back and forth a lot, and some animations like lock-picking are going into third-person for no apparent reason.

Hopefully the "compass" is optional and the game is not built around it.
Waypoint markers/compass quest-indicators are often used as a crutch for bad hub/quest design.

I like what I see, but I'm a little concerned when the game is only ~9 months away. Then again, it's not like Bloodlines was the most polished game, and that didn't prevent it from being great.

Still have not played the original despite owning it for years lol
Super excited for this.

Maybe I should buy vampyr for my vampire fix 🤔
You should play the original Bloodlines - it mostly still holds up, if you can accept that it was made in 2004 and how that affects some of the tone of the game.
Vampyr was a massive disappointment for me. It had some promising ideas, but was not successful in their execution. I never did get around to finishing the game, as I put it on hold while waiting for fixes the devs announced but never delivered on.

I never played the first one,but that gave me huge Deus Ex : Human Revolution vibes......is that accurate?
Bloodlines leans more towards RPG, but it's often described as "Deus Ex with vampires".

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You should play the original Bloodlines - it mostly still holds up, if you can accept that it was made in 2004 and how that affects some of the tone of the game.
Vampyr was a massive disappointment for me. It had some promising ideas, but was not successful in their execution. I never did get around to finishing the game, as I put it on hold while waiting for fixes the devs announced but never delivered on.
Yeh I do want to play it eventually.

I love that era graphics so all good!

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Bloodlines 2 is very much my Shenmue 3, even if some of this roughness is still there at release if they nail the core of Vampire, that being the dialogue and atmosphere, then I can forgive a lot of things. Thankfully even in this alpha state, it's incredibly promising that it looks and feels exactly like I would want a Bloodlines 2 to. It oozes atmosphere and the detail they've put into the setting is top-notch, the writing so far seems excellent and the VA work is more than up to par. They've still got quite a bit of time till release so I'm expecting it to get a lot smoother though I don't think it will ever be not slightly rough which is fine as someone that adores Euro-jank.

Edit: Watching the person playing the game, I wish IGN focussed some more on the quality of coverage at events rather than the quantity of it because... oof.
Hey people, I got some precisions from our team in LA about the setup of the press demo you've seen shared since this morning (full gameplay demo of ~20 min). Those demos are hands-off, it's a Paradox person playing the game, the journalist is making the decisions like choosing the thinblood discipline or dialog options, but not holding the pad (despite some claims I've seen that people actually played the game). I'll ask you to assume all lack of skills or bad melee gameplay is caused by our team on the floor of E3 being super exhausted 😄 On a more serious note, as soon as we have time to do and publish one, we'll have our own clean recording of the demo shared on the official accounts, and we promise it'll be played by someone who's good at punching people while remaining in front of them 😉

Last edited:

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Combat looks rough and the person playing doesn't seem used to the control scheme. The world seems pretty cool and I like the traversal. I'm hoping there will be significantly more polish before release.

Regarding the woman who was your main quest giver, what is her clan?

Oct 27, 2017
My impressions based on the videos I've seen.

Pros:
  • The game looks beautiful. It's certainly an improvement from B1, at least visually.
  • They've absolutely nailed the atmosphere, rooms and the different hub worlds. I'm glad they realized that atmosphere plays a big part on the story they're trying to tell, because it shows.
  • Loved Brian as news caster on the radio (I'm so glad they brought that back).
  • I'm loving the apartment (again, it's visually striking) and it makes me wonder if we'll have people over at some point (ghoul, perhaps?).
  • I loved the fact you can dance again! It looks exactly like the B1 dance and I feel that's an amazing callback.
  • I'm glad there are different (and plenty) dialogue options (though I'll come back to that in a minute).
  • Characters look stunning, too. I love how they're dressed and all.
  • I liked how the character lockpicked. Did it show the difficulty? I couldn't tell.
  • I'm glad there are cars this time around! (moving cars, that is!)
  • I'm liking the way you find some weapons (like, they're not just on the ground, but maybe you'll find a pipe on the wall and literally rip it out and use it)
  • I'm glad NPC's can have conversations like they used to (I noticed this among the homeless people in The Jungle).
  • I really liked how dialogue options can trigger events if you're not smart enough (like revealing Slugg's name before he tells you). Also, is that Brian again? lol

Meh:
  • The UI. A part of me likes it, but the lower part of it looks kinda ugly. Also, I feel like I don't need to be reminded all the time that it's a "MASQUERADE AREA".
  • I personally don't mind quests being shown in map, but I hope it's an option for players who want to play blind (but also have NPC's 'guide' them).
  • Not a huge deal breaker for me, but some human NPC's seem like they're just walking aimlessly through the map. I thought they meant to have NPC's going places or doing stuff more than just walk around like robots, but maybe I just imagined that.
  • Not a fan of the club music, but I think it can grow on me.
  • Also not a huge deal breaker, but I feel like NPC's are too kind, lol. Like, everytime you'd shove someone, they'd react with "Excuse me" or "Pardon me". I haven't heard any drunk guy tell you off or show you the middle finger.
  • This is probably more of a question, but during The Jungle quest you could go through the vent (which I really liked), but was there an option not to? Like, could you just get to the same place without using the vent? That'd be pretty cool.
  • Combat music is meh.
  • I thought it was kinda weird you get to fight Slugg when someone else is straight up shooting at you, and then suddenly the fight stops and you've got Slugg under your control. Like, what?

Cons:
  • By far my biggest criticism and biggest concern is facial animation. It looks incredibly empty (almost like Andromeda). B1 had these incredibly expressive characters. Now it just seems like they're reading into a script and there's not magic there (mostly the Tremere woman from the quest; she kept repeating the same animations, too).
  • I feel dialogue needs improvement, it feels a bit bland. But it might have to do with the facial animations. Even some of the dialogue options felt really cringy (when you're fighting that guy Lurk, one option is "Here's the thing - I'm a fucking vampire"... Okay?). And when you say "I'd like to see you try", Lurk's response is literally "Oh, okay". Is he the most unimpressed guy ever? Like here's a dude who's challenging you. You'd expect a bigger reaction, right?
  • Combat is super clunky. Personally, I don't mind it that much, because it looks as clunky as B1 combat, and I never really minded that (I was far more interested in the story and characters). However, I know people are super interested in combat as well (and also, a bad combat experience might deter people from buying and supporting new VTMB entries!)
  • Speaking of combat. I hate the kung fu jump shit show that you do. I hope we can actually disable this or not use it unless we want to.
  • Also, lmao that part you shoot someone and she just won't die. Fix that, please.
  • I really disliked NPC reactions when getting bit. They're expresionless, make almost no sound. Also, when you're fighting them, all they say is "what is happening?"
  • I'm not digging the roaring sound when you bite someone (I'm sure this happens only when you fully drain someone, but still... please let us disable it).
  • Why does it feel like it takes ages to turn the camera around?
  • I find it really hard to believe that people wouldn't be shocked to see someone jump off a roof or a building and be totally fine by that. There needs to be some sort of penalty (masquerade wise) for doing so publicly. Or at least have human NPC have some sort of reaction to it.
  • A few inconsistencies (details) I'm annoyed by:
  1. when you're in the club, and you're walking up the stairs to the roof, the music just suddenly stops playing. I think they should make it so the music fades away the more you walk up to the roof, right? Like, even on the roof you should still listen to some of the music.
  2. Also, probably just me, but the music in the club should probably be louder than that right?
  3. Slugg is a thinblood, yet he looks exactly like a Nosferatu? Is he a Nosferatu or a thinblood?
  4. The Tremere girl says "this will not sit well with the Pyramid" but the dialogue reads something different (organization).

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
while the whole 'this controller's apparently been dipped in molasses' aspect of the demo did make it sorta hard to get a feel for the game, i've gotta say, i really dug what i saw. the atmosphere on those Seattle streets is incredible, and the writing is more than solid.

Slugg is a thinblood, yet he looks exactly like a Nosferatu? Is he a Nosferatu or a thinblood?

I'm pretty sure there's a Flaw in the most recent edition of the tabletop game where, if you're making a thinblood character, you can choose to have them express a clan's bloodline curse without actually getting any of the advantages that'd come with being part of that clan?

Ah yeah here it is:

ZzFared.jpg

Found it at the bottom of this page:

Oct 27, 2017
while the whole 'this controller's apparently been dipped in molasses' aspect of the demo did make it sorta hard to get a feel for the game, i've gotta say, i really dug what i saw. the atmosphere on those Seattle streets is incredible, and the writing is more than solid.

I'm pretty sure there's a Flaw in the most recent edition of the tabletop game where, if you're making a thinblood character, you can choose to have them express a clan's bloodline curse without actually getting any of the advantages that'd come with being part of that clan?

Ah yeah here it is:

ZzFared.jpg

Found it at the bottom of this page:

Thank you for clarifying!