• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Combat looks rough and the person playing doesn't seem used to the control scheme. The world seems pretty cool and I like the traversal. I'm hoping there will be significantly more polish before release.

Regarding the woman who was your main quest giver, what is her clan?
She mentioned a Pyramid, which suggests she is indeed a Tremere. The Pyramid fell to the Second Inquisition in past years, so it's hard to say if she's a Tremere loyalist involved in a localized recreation or a member of a more independent Tremere house. House Goratrix is aligned with the Sabbat, House Ipsissimus is aligned with the Anarchs, and House Carna is a pagan-oriented house that's nominally Camarilla but nurses Anarch sympathies and is scornful of Pyramid authority (this last one is my house of choice, I'd love to be able to choose it in my Tremere run).

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
She mentioned a Pyramid, which suggests she is indeed a Tremere. The Pyramid fell to the Second Inquisition in past years, so it's hard to say if she's a Tremere loyalist involved in a localized recreation or a member of a more independent Tremere house. House Goratrix is aligned with the Sabbat, House Ipsissimus is aligned with the Anarchs, and House Carna is a pagan-oriented house that's nominally Camarilla but nurses Anarch sympathies and is scornful of Pyramid authority (this last one is my house of choice, I'd love to be able to choose it in my Tremere run).

Thanks for the thorough breakdown of info!

Will I be able to understand most of the lore by watching a Let's Play for the first Vampire: Bloodlines?

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the thorough breakdown of info!

Will I be able to understand most of the lore by watching a Let's Play for the first Vampire: Bloodlines?
The game is pretty thorough about covering the foundational stuff if the player is asking NPCs about it. Subsequent playthroughs might see them skipping that though.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Re: Tremere

Check the club's logo, plus the purple light and purple eyes

DLNhKZq.png

pwrHGW6.jpg

Tremere's chantry in BL1 also had purple hues in the faccade, so does the NPC at the official site

jNuXfsN.jpg

sSAc239.jpg

I think we can pretty much conclude she's a Tremere.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching Outstar do commentary now on this. i love having her World of Darkness/game dev insight!

I watched her vid, too, but I'm a bit worried about her impressions. She seems to be much too focused on how the 'journalist couldn't play the game right', when it's obvious the game itself has flaws (it's pre-alpha after all, so that's fine). My big concern is how vocal she's been in the VTMB community (particularly, by the devs themselves and Paradox), and I all into her video, there's no mention of the animations or even some of the dialogue. She says the guy's reaction at the end when he says "Oh really" is cheesy and 'she loves it', but to me that's just bad writing.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Dialog and dialog options were great. That's the most important thing for me.

Visually it looks rough but it is a pre-alpha buiild. But then again so was the original Bloodlines.

This is why developers are hesitant to show off their game in early stages.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine some jackass walking into a club and busting a move like this:
7Ru1KhH.gif

Art direction is stellar.

Looks incredible, but developers need to stop giving IGN these demos when it's pretty damn clear no-one over there knows to play games.

First Escape from Gears and now this.
This is always unfair to game journos as no one is a pro at a game when they pick it up for the first time in a public setting after walking around and playing several other games in the same day.

Orwell

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Aside from the environments, which aren't much better than what we've seen of other games this gen, this game looks very rough and early. The character animation looks especially dated. When approaching the main NPCs, they just stand there like statues or mannequins, waiting for you to trigger the interaction.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I watched her vid, too, but I'm a bit worried about her impressions. She seems to be much too focused on how the 'journalist couldn't play the game right', when it's obvious the game itself has flaws (it's pre-alpha after all, so that's fine). My big concern is how vocal she's been in the VTMB community (particularly, by the devs themselves and Paradox), and I all into her video, there's no mention of the animations or even some of the dialogue. She says the guy's reaction at the end when he says "Oh really" is cheesy and 'she loves it', but to me that's just bad writing.
She's worked in game dev, so she's pretty inured to development jank.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My god. It's almost as janky as vampire rain. Lol

Those first to third person transitions are jarring as hell.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a proper sequel: nice writing, mediocre to bad combat.

And i thought i was bad with a controller, they cant even go up the stairs.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The atmosphere looks great, but the Ai needs some work still.

Also, does falling from great heights not break the masquerade? I mean he's literally jumping off a building in clear line of sight of people and none of thoem even bat an eye at it...

Combat wise looks ok, I just wish melee was more...interesting, it looks like your basic "mash the attack button over and over to win" style. I'd love to parries, blocks, grabs, combo's and use vampiric powers to change these types of things, like dodging for example you start off with well a normal dodge, but then as you level up and depending on your clan your dodge could change to a high speed move, or even a simple "mist" form that allows the attack (if timed right) to simply pass through you.

So many ways they can enhance melee combat and make it more engaging then just whack a mole like it seems to be.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
The atmosphere looks great, but the Ai needs some work still.

Also, does falling from great heights not break the masquerade? I mean he's literally jumping off a building in clear line of sight of people and none of thoem even bat an eye at it...

Combat wise looks ok, I just wish melee was more...interesting, it looks like your basic "mash the attack button over and over to win" style. I'd love to parries, blocks, grabs, combo's and use vampiric powers to change these types of things, like dodging for example you start off with well a normal dodge, but then as you level up and depending on your clan your dodge could change to a high speed move, or even a simple "mist" form that allows the attack (if timed right) to simply pass through you.

So many ways they can enhance melee combat and make it more engaging then just whack a mole like it seems to be.
The IGN player basically isn't showing the combat off well at all. Barely used their Nebulation in combat, or their other disciplines, and there was a lot of button mashing without thinking about combat feeds and the like. Dodge seems to have an active component this go around.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I'm honestly thinking I should go dark and completely go blind into this experience rather than watch marketing trailers. The team seems competent and what I've seen looks to be at the very least decent.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Much better look at gameplay from a way more skilled player on Gamespot.

Thanks for sharing. Though this video also proves that there were issues with the sensitivity of the controls since this player still took way to long to turn side to side when in tight environments.

Edit: Why would a player ever pick the last option in the video.. I always wonder if people really play their games like this. It was a fetch quest. You fetched. Why lie and say you didn't get the requested item?

Last edited:

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Always fun and weird to see a game set in my home town.

Combat looks janky but it was in the original too so that's fine. Harder to tell how it plays as an RPG even in 20 minutes but this didn't put me off from that part.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
I swear it's like the person playing has never picked up a controller before xD

That being said, the game looks fun, immersive and incredibly janky

...so yeah, pretty in line with the first one

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Looks fun to me. I'm expecting jank considering how messed up the first one was and I'm fine with that. You can tell it's got a pretty limited budget.

I don't think the person playing is completely to blame. It looks like the right stick sensitivity is set really low and no one bothered to alter it. It's the first thing I would've told the dev, unless they did and were told the menu's aren't available or something.

Oct 27, 2017
Much better look at gameplay from a way more skilled player on Gamespot.

This actually plays better than the other videos I've seen. It honestly looks really good. I really want them to improve some of the animations (like the Tremere girl), but looking at the video again, the Nosferatu characters had better animation, so I'm happy with that.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
My most anticipated game. I think the moment-to-moment gameplay looks fine and the parts that I care about look AMAZING.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
It looks about as good as I was expecting. Anyone expecting some AAA polish is going to be disappointed.

I am also happy to see that they didn't put in a stupid lockpicking minigame. That was one of my worries when they announced this game.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Combat looks very janky, the bit where the enemy is sliding around whilst firing is just strange.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I just read that they have Malkavians in Bloodlines 2.

Holy shit if they're even half as well written as they were in Bloodlines I'm sold no matter how bad combat might be.

Doggg

â–² Legend â–²
Nov 17, 2017
If it's a true successor to the original, jank is to be expected. Still, some things bothered me, like that weird "what is happening?" exclamation and how the enemies all look so similar.

Last edited:

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Lol that certainly looks like Vampire the Masquerade.

I don't mind it to be honest as long the presentation is good and the writing is excellent which from what I've seen it's looking like that.

Dakath

Oct 26, 2017
From the Bloodlines 2 Discord:

Hey people, I got some precisions from our team in LA about the setup of the press demo you've seen shared since this morning (full gameplay demo of ~20 min). Those demos are hands-off, it's a Paradox person playing the game, the journalist is making the decisions like choosing the thinblood discipline or dialog options, but not holding the pad (despite some claims I've seen that people actually played the game). I'll ask you to assume all lack of skills or bad melee gameplay is caused by our team on the floor of E3 being super exhausted 😄 On a more serious note, as soon as we have time to do and publish one, we'll have our own clean recording of the demo shared on the official accounts, and we promise it'll be played by someone who's good at punching people while remaining in front of them 😉