• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On December 16th,1997, the anime Pocket Monsters (Or as we know it, Pokemon) aired it's 38th episode. In it, Ash and friends go inside the world of computers to stop Team Rocket's newest scheme. They did so using the episode's title character, Porygon (でんのうせんしポリゴン Computer Warrior Porygon, commonly Electric Soldier Porygon). That's all well and good, except for the ending. As when trying to escape from the world, they're targeted by missiles. Pikachu shocks said missiles, leading into what may very well be the most infamous scene in all of anime:

flashing_blue_small.png
flashing_red_small.png

For 4 and a half seconds, the red and blue colors flashed 100 times. This caused anywhere from 135 to 700 people to experience dizziness, headaches nausea, nosebleed and even memory loss. That includes adults that watched it a news report on it.

(Smarter folks than me go into the specifics here: https://www.csicop.org/si/show/pokemon_panic_of_1997
and here: http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/kanto/ep038.html )

A news Report (Not the one above) on it is here.

From after that, it was a massive ordeal. Staff thought they might be fined or arrested, scripts were put on hold, and the series was essentially erased for four months. Rental VHS's were pulled, and anything that mentioned pokemon for the rest of that year was pulled. It of course came back (I mean, it's on episode 1000), but changes had taken place. First off was the fact that certain episodes were rearranged, leading into odd discrepancies across the board. Remember when ash met santa, but had a charmander? That was one of them.

rougela_christmas.png
(Fun fact: We never had this banned in Canada)

Another change was that no instance of Porygon, any of it's evolutions, or the move conversion were to be seen in the TV series from then on.

Porygon2_M15.png
PorygonZ_anime.png
(Only appearance ever was in Movie 15.)

Another change was that all programing had to adhere to new rules and regulations. Slowed dimmed lights, less quick cuts, and warnings before shows. Not just Pokemon, not just anime, but even films like Harry Potter.

So Era, since this was probably the earliest time you ever heard of Pokemon, (Unless you were a real OG and imported the games back in '96) what are your memories from this time period? Did your folks ban you from seeing the show, like mine did?

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think my parents even knew that this was a problem. Never heard about it until my teenage years and Wikipedia.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
If you've ever watched an action show and suddenly a scene was dimmed you can blame this episode.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It really sucks that the episode got Porygon banned from the TV series and movies since it was Pikachu who technically gave those kids seizures.

adamblue

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
DFW, Texas
I remember David Letterman talking about this and they showed a clip, then everyone just laughed. I wasn't into Pokémon, so it wasn't a big deal to me.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Never watched it, but I remember hearing a lot about it at the time. It was all very surreal.

Dec 7, 2017
Was this incident well-known across the world? Pokémon started airing in Europe in 1999. By that point the hysteria surrounding all of this had probably died down already. I've never heard of children being forbidden to watch the show.

Now I'm wondering if the 50Hz frequency used in PAL-regions would have reduced the flashing to a degree where it wouldn't affect as many people.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
There's one scene near the very end of Get Out (the suspense thriller that came out this year) that I had to fast forward because of extremely bright flashing red and blue lights that went on for what seemed like minutes.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A report from 2001 argued that the episode couldn't possibly have caused as many seizures as was reported. They declared that it caused a fraction of the cases, but generally it was actually a case of mass hysteria. Once the story got around that it had caused a few seizures, kids and parents started self-diagnosing and rushed their kids to the hospital. It was psychosomatic.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11235034

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
Always thought it was bullshit that they banned Porygon from the show when Pikachu made the explosion.

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched it on youtube and it made my eyes hurt a bit.

edit: Have a small headache now. I didn't expect it to affect me but it did

Oct 25, 2017
Also, have you ever been watching any modern anime and noticed that when the action got really hectic and awesome (in, say, One Punch Man or My Hero Academia) the screen went dim and the scene seemed darker for some reason? Then, it's just fine in the bluray.

Yeah.

That's because of this.

Example at 3:32:

You'll notice that this action scene suddenly looks kinda dark at its most climactic moment.

Guidelines for the production of anime/etc. with regard to the effects of video

As part of TV Tokyo's efforts to do everything possible to avoid exposing viewers to dangerous stimuli, we have developed the following guidelines. By producing and broadcasting anime in accordance with these guidelines, risk associated with viewing television can be almost entirely eliminated.

1. Avoid displaying more than one flash of light per one-third of a second (8 frames on film, 10 frames on TV).

2. Since abrupt scene changes and rapid motion produce the same effects [as in (1.)], avoid using these techniques more than once per one-third of a second.

3. Flashes of light and scene changes mostly or entirely in red are dangerous. Scenes of equal brightness using colors other than red are acceptable.

4. Patterns with regions of differing brightness (e.g. stripes, spirals) should, in general, be avoided.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
My parents weren't aware of this. I was 12 at the time so I became aware of it because I used to stay up and watch late night talk shows sometimes (mostly on Fridays) or would record them (on dat VHS). In the same week the episode aired The Tonight Show or The Late Show (I forget which one) talked about it and showed the clip. I was like "Wow, Pokemon gave people seizures."

When the Simpsons "Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo" episode mocked it I laughed my ass off.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, have you ever been watching any modern anime and noticed that when the action got really hectic and awesome (in, say, One Punch Man or My Hero Academia) the screen went dim and the scene seemed darker for some reason? Then, it's just fine in the bluray.

Yeah.

That's because of this.

Example at 3:32:

You'll notice that this action scene suddenly looks kinda dark at its most climactic moment.

Huh. I've noticed this several times when I watched anime but never linked the two together

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I never knew about this. I'm curious to go watch that part now

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's so stupid they banned the whole porygon line from the anime. Why not just...you know, not do the flashing lights again?

Oct 27, 2017
I've always wanted to see this, but as someone who actually suffered from epilepsy as a child I would never risk it. I haven't experienced a seizure in the past 15 years but even the most insignificant of flashing lights still causes me to feel uncomfortable and to avert my eyes.

Here's a frame by frame still image of the scene if you're curious but don't want to watch the real thing.

ChrisBliss117

Oct 28, 2017
I remember my mom wouldn't let me watch the show at the time because I had Epilepsy and she didn't want me to have another seizure. We watched a few episodes together to make sure I was safe and then I watched it every weekend morning.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
I remember this being a huge scandal at the time. The way TPC and TV Tokyo handled this would make for an interesting study in brand crisis management.

AlexCampy89

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
is there a link to the footage, I want to see if I'm immune to it.

EDIT: watched it, nothing weird for md.
I kinda liked it though.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just watched it and it made me feel a bit panicky, my heart raced a little bit, but I think that was just because I was scared I was going to drop dead or something :(

KHlover

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the reasons I buy anime on BluRay. The filter that's been introduced after this episode just ruins action scenes for me. Any time something cool happens you have that dark filter ruining the picture.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd always known about this (and its industry after effects), but never knew the exact implementation that triggered the fits...

100 red and blue frames in 4 seconds though? that just seems like a bad idea anyway.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
Another change was that no instance of Porygon, any of it's evolutions, or the move conversion were to be seen in the TV series from then on.

Porygon2_M15.png
PorygonZ_anime.png
(Only appearance ever was in Movie 15.)

Should have banned Pikachu instead since it's was it's attack that caused it. I hate that stupid electric rat.