• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Wednesday night's ratings. Everything was reruns except for CBS, strangely:

Fast-Demo-2019-Jul-03.WED_.png

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
A show set during
the time of the final issue of the comic where it's a couple decades in the future and it's basically the wild west set in a desert with trains and bandits riding horses and shit
would be awesome as hell, especially if they really leaned into the
western
aspects of it.
Wow. Given Kirkman's whole "I can write this forever stance", I'm genuinely shocked.

Interesting. Personally I'll take the "tie a bow on it" endings almost every time. Primarily because I think creators screw up ambiguous endings far more often than they get it right. And, for me, a botched ambiguous ending sours me on a show more than a forgettable "pat and clean" ending.
I'm more annoyed that it was a

Happy ending than an ending in particular. It just made the whole series feel cheap and left a sour taste. But of course I never saw Walt as a hero, in the same way that I don't see Saul/Jimmy as a hero in BCS and I know I'm in the minority there.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Junior of course, but that's it.

Yeah, everyone else was on a ski vacation for MLK weekend. For those that don't remember, it was a throwback to S1E12 of Blackish where they go skiing for MLK weekend.

Just finished catching up. I sometimes forget that "grown-ish" takes place during the spring semester. I like how they planned it like that, but it makes it confusing sometimes. I'm sure it'll be fine once it catches up to current day though (or if you're watching the show when it's all done).

And, wow, that set looked so different with how "grown-ish" films their show! The lighting and camera angles are more intimate and warm. It's like it was a different set entirely!

It was also kinda weird that they censored that Lizzo song at the end even though they played it just fine on a recent episode of "black-ish." They censored the alcohol references, strangely, yet they all drink underage all the time anyway.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Just finished catching up. I sometimes forget that "grown-ish" takes place during the spring semester. I like how they planned it like that, but it makes it confusing sometimes. I'm sure it'll be fine once it catches up to current day though (or if you're watching the show when it's all done).

And, wow, that set looked so different with how "grown-ish" films their show! The lighting and camera angles are more intimate and warm. It's like it was a different set entirely!

It was also kinda weird that they censored that Lizzo song at the end even though they played it just fine on a recent episode of "black-ish." They censored the alcohol references, strangely, yet they all drink underage all the time anyway.
Even though they're the same company, they likely have different Standards & Practices departments. They can be very weird about stuff like that even though ABC is a broadcast network and should have stricter standards haha

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Even though they're the same company, they likely have different Standards & Practices departments. They can be very weird about stuff like that even though ABC is a broadcast network and should have stricter standards haha
It's dumb to censor the lyrics when grownish constantly shows underaged drinking (even in this same episode) and underaged weed use. Also dumb that they don't censor that same lyric in the promo for the show. Guess it was really because of Grey Goose.

EDIT: They also censored Ragu from the song in the episode.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
So i take it that no matter how many shows they cancel at 3 seasons, there is zero chance Netflix doesn't renew Stranger Things right? Unless the creators are done with it or something.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
So i take it that no matter how many shows they cancel at 3 seasons, there is zero chance Netflix doesn't renew Stranger Things right? Unless the creators are done with it or something.

As long as the creators want to go on it'll get renewed. Netflix are hardly going to end one of their bigger series if there's the potential for more, especially with all the brand stuff that they do with it.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Sunday night's ratings. I don't know why Fred Savage continues to work with Fox if they're just gonna send his shows out to die (RIP "The Grinder"):

Fast-Demo-2019-Jul-07.SUN_.png

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I thought I remembered reading that it was renewed for Seasons 3 and 4 awhile back, and that was the intended end.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I thought I remembered reading that it was renewed for Seasons 3 and 4 awhile back, and that was the intended end.

The Duffer Bros said they won't want it to go past 4 or 5 seasons. That's all I've seen.

I think I also recall them saying how they would probably be a time-jump as well, because between filming, the kids are just growing so fast to make it "a year later" each time, pretty much. Given how the season ended, I can see them jumping ahead 2-3 years, especially since we don't know when/if production for the next season has even started yet.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think I also recall them saying how they would probably be a time-jump as well, because between filming, the kids are just growing so fast to make it "a year later" each time, pretty much. Given how the season ended, I can see them jumping ahead 2-3 years, especially since we don't know when/if production for the next season has even started yet.

The original plan was for a time skip after Season 1 but they abandoned it when the kid actors proved to be too popular. I don't think they're ever going to do one, but if there ever was a time to do it, it's after S3. It's enough of a status-quo shift that a time skip WOULD make narrative sense, and also justify Hawkins not just becoming a complete ghost town due to annual otherworldly infestations.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The original plan was for a time skip after Season 1 but they abandoned it when the kid actors proved to be too popular. I don't think they're ever going to do one, but if there ever was a time to do it, it's after S3. It's enough of a status-quo shift that a time skip WOULD make narrative sense, and also justify Hawkins not just becoming a complete ghost town due to annual otherworldly infestations.

Oh all the way back then? Yeah I guess they did abandon it.

I'm only on Ep 5 so no spoilers, but do you mean time jump ala "It Part 2"?

I don't think so, but given that the "kids" are now aged 14-17 and looking way older than they are supposed to be, I figured they were prob only going to jump it a few years rather than just grab a whole other adult cast, but who knows.

Dustin and Lucas' actors are on a Hot Ones ep today and wow do they ever look like high school seniors now!

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
oh ok. I don't think anyone cares if their ages jump to current ages. This just didn't make sense to me: "they abandoned it when the kid actors proved to be too popular "

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
oh ok. I don't think anyone cares if their ages jump to current ages. This just didn't make sense to me: "they abandoned it when the kid actors proved to be too popular "
That's because you ignored the first part of that sentence saying it would've been after S1 when the characters were 12. Doing the jump then to the characters being 17 would've necessitated recasting the kids. Jumping to 17 y/o characters now would mean no recast is needed because that would be believable in comparison to the actors' ages.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a timeline of the show? I could have sworn S1 began in 1983 (fall?). Then I know S2 was in October-November, I believe 1984. This current season was clearly July of 1985.

I would have assumed the jumps between seasons would have been longer in the show due to the time frame in 'real life' has been longer, and therefore of course the kids have changed a lot.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a timeline of the show? I could have sworn S1 began in 1983 (fall?). Then I know S2 was in October-November, I believe 1984. This current season was clearly July of 1985.

I would have assumed the jumps between seasons would have been longer in the show due to the time frame in 'real life' has been longer, and therefore of course the kids have changed a lot.
Only times I have seen are '83, '84, '85 as you mentioned.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I like Sarah Paulson, but it's about time we had a season that didn't star her or Evan Peters.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm surprised Paulson stuck with it so long, considering all the higher profile and higher earning opportunities open to her talents.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deadline clarifies: she's in a small role in AHS: 1984, since Ratched is going to take up most of her time.

Deadline has heard that Emmy winner Sarah Paulson isn't completely sitting out on American Horror Story: 1984, she'll just have a smaller part in the upcoming season of the FX series as she takes on the lead role in Ryan Murphy's Netflix series Ratched.

Taking on two lead roles in two series is a tall order, and Paulson, we understand, will remain focused on Ratched. The last time Paulson had a smaller role on AHS was in season 1 as medium Billie Dean Howard across three episodes.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Dustin and Lucas' actors are on a Hot Ones ep today and wow do they ever look like high school seniors now!

To be fair S3 filmed a year ago. If they film S4 this fall and set it in '87 then they should be pretty well aligned again.

The time gap between S1 and S2 was close to the real airing time between them. It's S3 that's the oddball- only 8 months of story time passed while it's been 20 months of real time. Kind of surprised they didn't set it in '86. There really was no reason it needed to be set in '85.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair S3 filmed a year ago. If they film S4 this fall and set it in '87 then they should be pretty well aligned again.

The time gap between S1 and S2 was close to the real airing time between them. It's S3 that's the oddball- only 8 months of story time passed while it's been 20 months of real time. Kind of surprised they didn't set it in '86. There really was no reason it needed to be set in '85.

I think 85 was mostly for some of the products like New Coke that just came out that year, along with at least one place in the mall that would've been brand new that year. Oh, plus the line of movies that came out then.

But yeah makes sense, and if they move up like 2 years or something it should work. I don't think the show will go past the 80s, unless it's like a short epilogue at the end.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Netflix's data is usually pretty vague and hard to parse, but it seems like they're getting more comfortable sharing specifics, at least for their successes. 18+ million accounts (not people, but accounts, which means potentially double or even triple that number in terms of actual people) having completed the entire season in 4 days is honestly extremely impressive. Still hard to compare to previous Netflix series since we don't have that data, but they did say this was a record, so that at least gives us an idea of what the ceiling looks like.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I just got to that scene in The Crossing episode of Person of Interest.

I knew that Carter was going to die, but I didn't know the episode or the circumstances of it. It seems like this was the plan on how the actress wanted to go, though I saw a recent file stating that she was miserable when she was working there. Also, was I the only one who thought the Reese kiss was out of character for him? I always figured he only had one true love in his life.

In more encouraging news, that Root/Shaw teamup a few episodes back was bonkers and my favorite episodes so far.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix's data is usually pretty vague and hard to parse, but it seems like they're getting more comfortable sharing specifics, at least for their successes. 18+ million accounts (not people, but accounts, which means potentially double or even triple that number in terms of actual people) having completed the entire season in 4 days is honestly extremely impressive. Still hard to compare to previous Netflix series since we don't have that data, but they did say this was a record, so that at least gives us an idea of what the ceiling looks like.
These numbers don't really tell us a lot, don't they? With Netflix's business model a series with less viewers but many of them being new subscribers would be more advantegous than a series which is watched by many but all of them being customers that have been around for a while and exactly what makes people retain their subscription is hard to gauge.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
WarnerMedia Sets 'HBO Max' as Name of Streaming Service, Will Include All Episodes of 'Friends' Exclusively
HBO Max will combine content from HBO with a slate of originals and programming from Warner Bros., New Line, DC Entertainment, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, The CW, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, and Looney Tunes.

New deals with Warner Bros. Television and others for HBO Max announced today include:
• The exclusive streaming rights at launch to all 236 episodes of "Friends" — one of the biggest hits on television and in streaming
• The exclusive streaming rights at launch to all episodes of fan favorites "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" and "Pretty Little Liars"
• The exclusive streaming home to a string of new Warner Bros.' produced dramas for The CW beginning with the fall 2019 season, including the highly-anticipated new DC Entertainment series "Batwoman," and "Katy Keene" (spinoff of "Riverdale")
• New exclusive movie production deals with Greg Berlanti, one of Hollywood's most prolific and successful producers, and Reese Witherspoon, Academy Award® and Emmy Award®-winning actress and producer; Berlanti will produce an initial four movies focused in the young adult space, while Witherspoon's Hello Sunshine will produce at least two films[/quot]e

Status
Not open for further replies.