• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Matthew Rhys to Play Perry Mason in HBO Drama
HBO's long-in-the-works Perry Mason drama is officially moving forward.

The Americans grad Matthew Rhys has been tapped to star in the limited series, taking over the title role from Robert Downey Jr. The latter will remain on board as an executive producer on the series, which is searching for a director.

Downey had been attached to star in the long-gestating Perry Mason reboot that was originally envisioned as a feature film. The HBO entry was first put in development in August 2016 with Nic Pizzolatto attached to pen the script. Rolin Jones and Ron Fitzgerald replaced Pizzolatto as writers on the project in August 2017 after the latter shifted gears to focus on season three of True Detective.

Based on the characters created by Erle Stanley Gardner, HBO's Perry Mason will follow the character at a time in his life when he is living check-to-check as a low-rent private investigator. Mason is haunted by his wartime experiences in France and is suffering the effects of a broken marriage.

Rhys will also produce the series. Downey Jr. exec produces alongside his Team Downey partners Susan Downey, Amanda Burrell as well as Jones, Fitzgerald and Joe Horacek. Jones and Fitzgerald (Boardwalk Empire, Friday Night Lights) will serve as showrunners.

The character of Perry Mason, a Los Angeles defense attorney, served as the inspiration for the CBS series of the same name. The drama ran from 1957 to 1966 and starred Raymond Burr in the title role.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the logline:
Here's the official logline, from HBO: "1932, Los Angeles. While the rest of the country recovers from the Great Depression, this city is booming! Oil! Olympic Games! Talking Pictures! Evangelical Fervor! And a child kidnapping gone very, very wrong! Based on characters created by Erle Stanley Gardner, this limited series follows the origins of American Fiction's most legendary criminal defense lawyer, Perry Mason. When the case of the decade breaks down his door, Mason's relentless pursuit of the truth reveals a fractured city and just maybe, a pathway to redemption for himself."

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The Passage starts up tonight on Fox. They've been promoting it heavily, but the reviews are mediocre. Any bets on how it does?

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
The Passage starts up tonight on Fox. They've been promoting it heavily, but the reviews are mediocre. Any bets on how it does?

I'll definitely give it a chance. I'm real bad at betting, but I'd wager a 1.3. I'm still awful at the ratings game, though. I'm expecting a tepid but okay-ish response to it, which is a shame for how great the books are.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
NY Mag: True Detective Season 3 Premiere Scores Solid Ratings
Early ratings for True Detective are in, and the Nielsen numbers suggest audiences are still plenty interested in HBO's crime anthology series. Sunday's two-hour premiere of the Mahershala Ali–led season was watched by an average of 1.3 million same-day linear viewers, with 1.4 million tuning in for episode one and 1.2 million for episode two. Time-shifted viewing has substantially improved the show's audience, too: The first episode has already added nearly 1 million more viewers via replays and streaming, putting its total gross audience at 2.3 million viewers as of Monday morning.

To the surprise of absolutely no one who's paid attention to linear ratings in recent years, the same-day figures for the premiere came in below both seasons one (2.3 million in 2014) and two (3.2 million in 2015). But that was expected: Linear audiences for both broadcast and cable have fallen dramatically in the three and a half years since the HBO drama last aired an original episode, with viewers shifting to streaming and VOD platforms to catch up. In terms of linear ratings, Sunday's numbers put True Detective right on par with HBO's other big limited series of late, coming in just ahead of last year's Sharp Objects (1.3 million) and 2017's Big Little Lies (1.1 million) openers. True Detective also did substantially better than any other recent episode of an HBO drama or comedy, save big-budget blockbusters Game of Thrones and Westworld. The most recent season of True Detective saw its average episode audience grow to over 10 million viewers over the course of a month. Given how many more HBO subscribers are watching via nonlinear methods now versus 2015, it's not out of the question that season three could come close to matching that figure when the network release so-called cume averages in the next few weeks.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, Six Feet Under wasn't consistent enough to be on a best of all time list. The middle seasons were pretty bad.

Consistency isn't a defining factor if they're going to include Mad Men and The West Wing, The Shield, Deadwood and a whole host of others on the list.

Season 3 is the only one that qualifies as "bad" in my opinion, especially compared to some of the other shows listed by the NYT whose lows were much lower than SFU's. The third season was too detached from everything else and the show was in a weird spot transitioning between what its starting concept originated as and what it wanted to become. Led to a whole bunch of messy arcs that didn't really go anywhere and made little sense in the context of previous ones.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'Project Blue Book' Premiere Draws 3.5M Total Viewers For History In Live+3
Robert Zemeckis' UFO-themed Project Blue Book drew 3.5 million total viewers in its series premiere in Live+3, making it the most-watched scripted cable series premiere of the 2018/19 TV season-to-date. The January 8 premiere episode also topped the list in the key adults 25-54 demo, with 1.2 million in L+3 for History, according to Nielsen.

Project Blue Book bested Bravo's Dirty John, which previously held the No. 1 spot for scripted cable series premieres with 2 million total viewers in Live+3, and 1 million in L+3.

Over all airings, (the 10 PM premiere and 11 PM, 1 AM and 2 AM repeats) the Project Blue Book series premiere drew 5.2 million total viewers in Live+3 and 1.8 million total viewers among adults 25-54 for the night.

Oct 25, 2017
Man on the latest 5-0 did that Mustang have 1000 gears?
Steve shifted like 50 times while speeding up scaring that passenger, lol.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for The Passage, but very wary of how it could go. It is one of my favorite books ever. I've really disliked some of the creative choices they made.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Gah dang, Disney is going to can Orville aren't they? It's ratings are leading down and it's an inherently pricier show

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna start watching The Wire in a few days. It's one of the few remaining "big" modern dramas that I haven't seen yet so I'm pretty excited. Gotta try and watch Deutschland 86 first though, since that's the last show I need to get to before I make my top 10 for the TV Show of the Year voting thread.

(which you should be voting in if you haven't already. Boop)

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Is Manifest still airing new episodes? It feels like a lot of people were talking about it when it premiered, but I haven't heard anything about it for months.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
Gonna start watching The Wire in a few days. It's one of the few remaining "big" modern dramas that I haven't seen yet so I'm pretty excited. Gotta try and watch Deutschland 86 first though, since that's the last show I need to get to before I make my top 10 for the TV Show of the Year voting thread.

(which you should be voting in if you haven't already. Boop)
congrats on finally getting to experience the Wire one of the GOATs

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Monday night's ratings. The Passage premiered very well for Fox:

Fast-Demo-2019-Jan-14.MON_.png

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for The Passage, but very wary of how it could go. It is one of my favorite books ever. I've really disliked some of the creative choices they made.
yeah I was a big fan of the trilogy and unfortunately this seems to throw out almost everything from the books. I mean 3/4 of the books were set a hundred years later in a post apocalyptic landscape. I don't see anything of the sort in the trailer lol
looks good. I hadn't heard anything about this till now

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't had the chance to watch Grace and Frankie yet, but glad there will be more for fans! Seems like a very fun show, from the clips and trailers over the past few years.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yeah I was a big fan of the trilogy and unfortunately this seems to throw out almost everything from the books. I mean 3/4 of the books were set a hundred years later in a post apocalyptic landscape. I don't see anything of the sort in the trailer

And I can guarantee a network show would never abandon their present day cast to jump forward into the future unless it's like a season finale hail mary as they're being canceled.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
And I can guarantee a network show would never abandon their present day cast to jump forward into the future unless it's like a season finale hail mary as they're being canceled.
No doubt. They'll probably be a couple teases then a rushed final season (if it even makes it that far) with a terrible set and Syfy level special effects. So sad Ridley Scott didn't end up making a movie out of it even if it would be coming off the disaster that was the alien "prequels"

Status
Not open for further replies.