• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking, I don't think I have heard the term "showrunner" so much before this year. Seems like more focus has been put on them since folks gotten super nerdy or Berzelily about how tv works.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I was just thinking, I don't think I have heard the term "showrunner" so much before this year. Seems like more focus has been put on them since folks gotten super nerdy or Berzelily about how tv works.
I don't know if it's gone more mainstream recently, but this has been a thing since the late 90s with shows like X-Files, Buffy, and Hercules/Xena, for instance.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'The Horror Of Dolores Roach' Podcast In Works For TV By Blumhouse & Gimlet
The Horror of Dolores Roach is headed to the small screen. In a competitive situation, Blumhouse Television has acquired the rights to Gimlet Pictures' hit horror podcast The Horror Of Dolores Roach to develop as a scripted TV series.

Written and directed by Aaron Mark, The Horror of Dolores Roach is a grotesque Sweeney Todd-inspired tale of Eat or Be Eaten; a macabre urban legend of love, betrayal, weed, gentrification, cannibalism, and survival of the fittest. It follows the indomitable Dolores Roach who returns to a New York City neighborhood that has changed drastically during the sixteen years she has been in prison. Her boyfriend missing, her family long gone, Dolores is recognized only by an old stoner friend, Luis, who gives Dolores room and board and lets her give massages for cash in the basement apartment under his dilapidated empanada shop.

When the promise of her newfound stability is quickly threatened, "Magic Hands Dolores" is driven to extremes to survive — leaving in her wake a string of strangled massage clients. In the face of unexpected professional success, Dolores and Luis become dangerously symbiotic, and Luis must unleash his own particular predilections.

Mark will pen the series adaptation and co-executive produce. Mark wrote the fictional podcast especially for Daphne Rubin-Vega, and has said her imprint in both scripting and casting the podcast adaptation was enormous.
Barry Jenkins' 'The Underground Railroad' Adaptation At Amazon Sets Thuso Mbedu, Aaron Pierre And Chase W. Dillon In Lead Roles
The cast of Barry Jenkins's adaptation of Colson Whitehead's bestselling novel The Underground Railroad is starting to come together. Thuso Mbedu, Aaron Pierre and Chase W. Dillon have been set to play Cora, Caesar and Homer respectively in the forthcoming Amazon series.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It may well be a factor of your increased exposure to TV related news, via this site or other sites you may be visiting more than you did 5 or 10 years ago perhaps.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Espookys, the new HBO comedy series, to premiere June 14th.
The series follows a group of friends who turn their love for horror into a peculiar business, providing horror to those who need it, in a dreamy Latin American country where the strange and eerie are just part of daily life. It stars Ana Fabrega and Julio Torres along with Cassandra Ciangherotti and Bernardo Velasco as The Espookys with José Pablo Minor and recurring guest star Armisen.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix Reveals Viewing Data For Titles Including 'Umbrella Academy', 'The Highwaymen' & 'Fyre' Doc
Netflix is continuing to shout about some of its successes – handing out some viewing data for titles including Umbrella Academy, Triple Frontier, The Highwaymen, its Fyre Festival doc and David Attenborough-narrated Our Planet.

In its first quarter earnings report today, the streaming company has revealed that in the first four weeks on the service, Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá's comic book adaptation was watched by 45M million households.

Following the release of numbers for Bird Box last quarter, which was watched by 80M households in its first month, it has revealed that The Highwaymen, starring Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson, was watched by over 40M households in its first month. This was surpassed by action heist movie Triple Frontier, starring Ben Affleck and directed by J.C. Chandor, which hit 52M households in the same time period.

Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened, about the controversial music festival, was watched by over 20 million member households in its first month and has projected that nature doc Our Planet, which launched earlier this month, will be viewed by over 25M households in its first month of release.

This comes after last quarter, it gave out viewership stats for six series, including You, Sex Education and Elite. the streaming giant opted to volunteer that You and Sex Education have each been seen by more than 40 million households in their initial weeks. Spanish series Elite has been seen by more than 20 million households, the company said.

Netflix considers an episode as "viewed" if at least one episode has been watched at least 70% of the way through. Netflix zealously guards its data and has steadfastly refused to provide the kinds of ratings updates that its linear competitors do, even those not obligated to advertisers.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'Utopia': John Cusack To Star In Amazon Series
John Cusack is set to star opposite Sasha Lane and Rainn Wilson in Utopia, Amazon's straight-to-series adaptation of the British drama, written by Gone Girl author and screenwriter Gillian Flynn.

Utopia follows a group of young adults who meet online that are mercilessly hunted by a shadowy deep state organization after they come into possession of a near-mythical cult underground graphic novel. Within the comic's pages, they discover the conspiracy theories that may actually be real and are forced into the dangerous, unique and ironic position of saving the world.

Cusack will play Dr. Kevin Christie. Charismatic and media-savvy, with a brilliant biotech mind and a philanthropic outlook. Christie altruistically wants to change the world through science. Child actor and Javon "Wanna" Walton also stars.

The Amazon adaptation is a co-production between Endemol Shine North America/Kudos and Amazon Studios. Executive producing alongside Flynn are Jessica Rhoades, Sharon Hall, Karen Wilson and Dennis Kelly. Sharon Levy, President, Unscripted & Scripted Television, Endemol Shine North America, oversees production for Endemol Shine.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
AMC Makes Pilot Script Deal For Owen & Stephen King Novel 'Sleeping Beauties;' Owen King To Write It
AMC has made a pilot script commitment on the Owen King & Stephen King's bestselling novel Sleeping Beauties. The goal is to create an open ended TV series and Owen King has been set to write the pilot script. Sugar23's Michael Sugar and Ashley Zalta will be exec producers.

The book has the obligatory scares one would expect from the past work of the father-son author duo, but tells a timely metaphorical story about women and the gender role by imagining what would happen if men were left alone. It takes place in the near future in a small Appalachian town whose primary employer is a women's prison. Something happens when women go to sleep; they become shrouded in a cocoon-like gauze. If they are awakened, if the gauze wrapping their bodies is disturbed or violated, the women become feral and spectacularly violent. And while they sleep they go to another place. Meanwhile, the men are abandoned, left to their increasingly primal devices. One woman, the mysterious Evie, is immune to the blessing or curse of the sleeping disease. Is Evie a medical anomaly to be studied? Or is she a demon who must be slain?

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'Solo' Star Alden Ehrenreich To Headline NBCU Series 'Brave New World'
Alden Ehrenreich, who played the title character in Solo: A Star Wars Story, is set to lead the cast of Brave New World, a series adaptation of the Aldous Huxley novel, from UCP and Amblin Television.

Originally developed at Syfy and recently announced as straight-to-series pickup at USA Network, the big-budget drama is now rumored as a potential flagship series for the NBCU streaming platform, set to launch in 2020.

Written by David Wiener, Grant Morrison and Brian Taylor based on Huxley's groundbreaking 1932 novel, Brave New World imagines a utopian society that has achieved peace and stability through the prohibition of monogamy, privacy, money, family, and history itself.

As citizens of New London, Bernard Marx and Lenina Crowne have only ever known a rigid social order, a perfect pharmaceutical called Soma, and a culture of instant gratification and ubiquitous sex. Curious to explore life beyond the strictures of their society, the two New Worlders embark on a vacation to the Savage Lands, where they become embroiled in a harrowing and violent rebellion. Bernard and Lenina are rescued by John the Savage (Ehrenreich), who escapes with them back to New London.

The arrival of John, a subversive outsider, in the New World, threatens to disrupt the stability of New London's utopian society.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
Somebody was literally just mentioning the other day that Alden's career seemed to have gone nowhere after Solo, so I'm glad he's seeing more work. Ignoring my feelings on yet another streaming platform, the show sounds...mildly interesting? I'll wait for a trailer because I can see how the concept might lend itself to a interesting storyline, but I'm not sold.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix Promises More Viewership Data As Part Of Greater "Transparency", Ted Sarandos Says
If Hell hasn't frozen over today, it got distinctly colder as Netflix brass promised to start revealing a lot more of their actual viewership.

"Over the next several months, we're going to be rolling out more specific and granular data and reporting, Ted Sarandos said on Tuesday following the first quarter earnings report by the streamer. "First to our producers, then out members and, of course, to the press over time and be more fully transparent about what people are watching on Netflix around the world.

The statement by the Chief Content Officer comes after Netflix dropped a few more data details about how its Umbrella Academy superhero series, the Frye Festival documentary and the Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson led The Highwaymen film did.

With numbers for the Sandra Bullock starring Bird Box and a few other shows being all that the streamer has put out there previously after years of almost no viewership info, today's promise could be a real shift for Netflix as it seeks to put down a larger global footprint and faces new competitors in the digital arena.

Of course, previous transparency attempts like with Bird Box also brought raised eyebrows and cynical reaction on if the numbers were real, estimated or based on significant viewing – criticisms Sarandos seemed intent today on shifting as well.

"We are trying to get to a place where we can be a lot more transparent both with our producers and with our customers, who are incredibly interested in making better choices, Sarandos noted on the earnings call with CEO Reed Hastings and other execs this afternoon. "A lot of times that's influenced heavily by what the world's watching."
Sure, Ted. I'll believe it when I see it.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

I never really understood why they were so secretive of it, in the first place. Sure, sometime we would get info on how many million people binged through Stranger Things in a weekend, but not even giving the production staff any details? You would think they would have a right to that sort of info, at least, before the shareholders.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
I never really understood why they were so secretive of it, in the first place. Sure, sometime we would get info on how many million people binged through Stranger Things in a weekend, but not even giving the production staff any details? You would think they would have a right to that sort of info, at least, before the shareholders.
I mean, I totally get it. Who wouldn't want to negotiate with people who have no information about how the product they make is actually performing?

It's completely devious.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Wattpad Partners With Sony Pictures Television For First Look Deal
Known for being an incubator for original stories, multi-platform entertainment company Wattpad is expanding its reach with a new partnership with Sony Pictures Television to develop and co-produce original programming for television. The collaboration gives giving Sony a first-look at the up-and-coming stories from the Wattpad platform.
Okay, so as to why this is news and an actual get no matter how silly it is on the surface:

This new deal with Sony follows the recent announcement that Wattpad, Sony Pictures Television, and Stampede are developing Death Is My BFF for Syfy. Death is My BFF is a series of stories from Katerina E. Tonks which has more than 62 million reads to date on Wattpad. Lindsey Rosin (Cruel Intentions) is slated to write the series. In addition to Syfy, Wattpad has also found success with international entertainment partners including iflix, eOne, Huayi Brothers Korea. among others.

In addition, Wattpad produces the Emmy-nominated Hulu series Light as a Feather with AwesomenessTV and Grammnet. Wattpad's film After, which is based on Anna Todd's Wattpad and best-selling novel is currently in theatres. Also from the Wattpad libraries is Netflix's The Kissing Booth where it accumulated 19 million reads and built an international fanbase.
After is a decent hit (mostly internationally), and The Kissing Booth is freaking huge for Netflix.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Didn't see it mentioned anywhere and this was probably unnoticed in the middle of all the Disney + news but I think it's worth being mentioned here.

Why The Act Might Be Hulu's Most Important Hit Yet

There's plenty of anecdotal evidence that suggests Hulu's true-crime anthology The Act has been a hit—from water-cooler conversations it has sparked to the slew of fact-check pieces it's inspired. But according to the company's C.E.O. Randy Freer, there are also hard numbers to back that up. At Disney Investor Day, where the company laid out plansfor its standalone streaming service, Freer said The Act "has driven more new subscribers to series than any other Hulu Original in the first month."

As Deadline notes, Freer was referring to a metric known as subscribers-to-series, which measures new subscribers who join a service and then watch a specific show within the first 24 hours of their membership. It's a widely used industry metric, Deadline says, despite the fact that it's impossible to say for sure whether those who subscribed to Hulu and promptly began watching The Act chose to subscribe specifically to watch that series.

I was a bit surprised by this. The show has been good but I never see much talk about it online.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Tuesday night's ratings. ABC's series premiere of "Bless This Mess" did surprisingly well, outperforming every other show on the network:

Fast-Demo-2019-Apr-16.TUE_.png

Nov 1, 2017
"Netflix promises more viewership data in the future, as long as we can still be completely selective about it and only disclose suspiciously high numbers that make us look good"

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say I'm always down for a good ol' fashion comeback but then I realized I just don't really like Mike Myers's work all that much. I guess his early stuff was alright, despite having no real memories of it I still have some residual affection for So I Married An Axe Murderer somehow, but looking at his filmography it is surprising how slight it is for someone who seemed so prominent.

And, yeah, I'm not sure what to even expect from The Witcher at this point.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Screenrant: Swamp Thing Reportedly Shuts Down Production Early, Cutting Season 1 Short
Local North Carolina newspaper Wilmington Star News reports production on Swamp Thing season 1 was shut down before it was previously expected, with the season order being reduced from 13 episodes to 10. According to the report, local crew members were told the series will wrap production on episode 10 before stopping to allow the writers time to rewrite the ending. Further, several days of reshoots are expected to still take place. Screen Rant has reached out to DC Universe for comment.

Nov 1, 2017
Not surprising but with GoT as a lead in, Veep basically doubled its season average and Barry nearly quadrupled its season average. If you look at the ratings out of context it just looks goofy to shoot up in the third episode of the season like that.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
That is an interesting and unexpected choice and with it maybe, just maybe, Master Chief will be an actual interesting character this time around.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
That is an interesting and unexpected choice and with it maybe, just maybe, Master Chief will be an actual interesting character this time around.
It's Kyle Killen, and he's good at this, so Master Chief is going to be a good, interesting character... for one season and then it gets cancelled. ~~it's the Kyle Killen way~~

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Schreiber's not a bad fit. He's a solid actor and certainly has the physicality for the role.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Schreiber's not a bad fit. He's a solid actor and certainly has the physicality for the role.

Funny you say that because the first thought through my mind upon seeing that picture was "man, he got bigger".

I'm down for anything to separate him further from that godawful William Lewis character.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Not surprising but with GoT as a lead in, Veep basically doubled its season average and Barry nearly quadrupled its season average. If you look at the ratings out of context it just looks goofy to shoot up in the third episode of the season like that.
Lol that's hilarious. I know HBO doesn't care since Barry is already a hit to them and Veep is ending but I'm sure they still love the increased viewership.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
One of these days I will be strong enough to not read another one of Nellie's utterly terrible and meaning less "Very, Very Early Buzz Edition" of Pilot Panic. Today is not that day (she uses the word "buzz 8 times in the article).

(I'm only gonna do the dramas here)
ABC:
NYPD Blue seems to be living up to the hype associated with its pedigreed title. The reboot of the iconic 1990s cop drama series quickly emerged as an early contender, with young British actor Fabien Frankel, who plays the lead role of Andy Sipowicz's son, tipped for breakout potential. Other early favorites on the one-hour side include PI drama Stumptown starring Cobie Smulders; the soapy, John Mayer song-inspired Heart of Life; and the untitled Hank Steinberg /50 Cent legal drama. Additionally, Heather Graham's stalker drama The Hypnotist's Love Story has supporters.
CBS:
In CBS' first pilot season since the exit of Les Moonves, the network has been pushing the envelope, especially on the drama side, with edgier projects that may not have been considered obvious choices in the past for CBS... That includes Evil, from The Good Wife creators Robert and Michelle King, which has been garnering buzz. Also talked about early on is cop drama Tommy, starring Edie Falco, with legal drama All Rise (fka Courthouse) considered a possibility.
FOX:
The soapy family drama Filthy Rich, a potential companion to Empire, has been an early standout at Fox. Also getting a lot of attention, especially for the acting of the leads, Tom Payne and Michael Sheen, is Prodigal Son. I hear the project is already staffing a mini writers room. The Annie Weisman/Jason Katims sister drama also is garnering strong early buzz, with two star vehicles, Stephen Dorff's Deputy and John Slattery's neXT, also in the conversation.
NBC:
Council Of Dads, which seems to have a This Is Us sensibility, is attracting a ton of buzz. Also getting attention early on is Lincoln, based on the Bone Collector novels previously adapted into the 1999 movie starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. Other pilots getting early mentions include murder trial drama Prism and genre triller Emergence.
CW:
The CW's Batwoman, starring Ruby Rose, which already was introduced as part of this season's Arrowverse crossover, is considered a lock, and I hear it already has a writing staff in place. Also hot early on is Riverdalespinoff Katy Keene starring Lucy Hale, whose New York setting gives it a Sex and the City/Gossip Girl vibe. Glamorous, set at a cosmetics company also stands out early on, in large part because of its bright color palette and visual style reminiscent of Ugly Betty. (The project marks the pilot directing debut of Eva Longoria). It is a wide-open field at the CW, with The Lost Boys and the Nancy Drew project also getting early attention.

CW... I swear, if I don't get my Nancy Drew show at long last 🔪🔪🔪🔪

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Just give me the Kings' show, even if it'll be cancelled after a season.
RIP BrainDead.
I hope Evil doesn't effect The Good Fight getting another season
I can't find the interview, but they've talked about doing two shows simultaneously and felt that it was something they could do. I think The Good Fight's big problem is its relative lack of prestige buzz (despite being one of the best shows on TV dammit)

Status
Not open for further replies.