• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, it was that. He'll be back soon though!

In the meantime, he wanted me to tell you all that he's finally watched Claws and he thinks it's the best show of all time. I personally think that's going a bit too far, but at the same time I didn't want to argue with another fan - there are so few of us here after all 🙃
When someone's right, they're right, after all.

52fde168-98b9-4197-98d5-894b74c8ca40.gif

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Miracle Workers also got renewed, even after being announced as an event miniseries with a proper ending.

... Oh, and it has a completely different setting, being based in medieval times, with no reference to God whatsoever.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
In the meantime, he wanted me to tell you all that he's finally watched Claws and he thinks it's the best show of all time. I personally think that's going a bit too far, but at the same time I didn't want to argue with another fan - there are so few of us here after all 🙃
No joke I think you've actually sold me on it with your relentless hype. It's in my queue 💅

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Seems that Jeremy Kyle was cancelled. I thought his show ended years ago.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to Google 1969 to get the blurb about the show that Google usually has on an entertainment search page. Nothing showed up and the top links were to just watch it on ABCs site. I don't really care about that so I didn't even bother to give it a shot and look into it more.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Miracle Workers also got renewed, even after being announced as an event miniseries with a proper ending.

... Oh, and it has a completely different setting, being based in medieval times, with no reference to God whatsoever.

There were some articles while it was airing about them approaching it as an anthology.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Snowpiercer getting renewed despite not premiering for another year is kinda wild.

Yeah, I think they'd said it could be an anthology thing before. It was an amusing show, so I'm interested especially with the same core cast.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Yeah,
Seems that Jeremy Kyle was cancelled. I thought his show ended years ago.

Yeah, I read a couple stories about that this morning. They kinda tip-toe around the cause of the show's cancellation, just saying that a person who had been on the show and caught lying during a lie-detector test died a few days later. I'm guessing that person committed suicide and it's being presumed that the show drove him to do it.

It's a shame that it took a suicide to elicit change but at least such a toxic show no longer will ruin (or end) lives.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Not especially. After two seasons, it feels like wasted potential. Every episode makes it seem like you're on the cusp of something amazing happening, and then not very much happens.

It's also a show with world-building that works better the less you think about it. From the mermaids and their culture, to their historical interactions with humans in the show, and even several of the human institutions. They're all shallow pastiches that act like they have something to say, then never dive very deep into the implications of it.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are being heavily courted by networks to be the duo's new home.
They've met with the principals across all the platforms at all six major companies. They have relationships at many of these places. The Star Wars films are at Disney and LucasFilm, while Benioff wrote for Universal and Donna Langley a Kurt Cobain project, and they are poised to adapt the prison break tale Dirty White Boys for Emma Watts at Fox. They both have movies ties pre-GoT at Warner Bros, where Benioff scripted Troy and Weiss did script work on Poseidon. The longstanding relationship at HBO is also a very strong one.
I'd expect some really big numbers to be thrown around for the two.

The C.W. - Netflix deal is dead.
When the first output deal between Netflix and CW parents CBS and Warner Bros was announced in 2011, it was hailed as groundbreaking and, with its $1 billion windfall, a lifeline that may have helped save the then money-losing upstart network. The pact, re-uped by both sides in 2016 with some modifications, was up again this spring, and I hear it is not being renewed.
What it means:
The deal ending doesn't mean new CW series won't end up on Netflix, where CW shows have traditionally been among the strongest performers. The SVOD service just won't get them automatically via an output deal; instead, it will have to bid for each show in a far more competitive environment than the streaming marketplace in 2016.

Past seasons of CW series that premiered through the current 2018-2019 season, like The Flash and Riverdale, will continue to stream on Netflix during the broadcast life of the series and beyond.

I hear WBTV's Batwoman is earmarked for the upcoming WarnerMedia streaming service. Its chief creative officer Kevin Reilly has been open about bringing new WBTV-produced CW shows to the service once the Netflix deal is up, saying in February that "we're very interested in putting that on our platform."

Katy Keene and Nancy Drew are both being shopped, with Netflix said to be among the contenders. Netflix would be a natural destination for WBTV/CBS Studios' Katy Keene which, while different tonally, belongs to the same Archie Comics universe as Riverdale, part of the Netflix output deal, and Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina, a Netflix original series. Both Riverdale and Sabrina are hugely popular on Netflix.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, guess I'm never gonna watch any Arrowverse reruns in a year or two.

God, the streaming service future sucks ass. Somehow it managed to become worse than cable in an alarmingly short amount of time.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, guess I'm never gonna watch any Arrowverse reruns in a year or two.

God, the streaming service future sucks ass. Somehow it managed to become worse than cable in an alarmingly short amount of time.
Sure did. People called it too but I was naively hopeful. I don't know how this industry can look at history and not see it's a mistake. People will flock to pirating again if they continue to fragment the landscape. My hope is that in some nebulous future there will be a consolidation again but it's going to take a number of the services falling flat on their face before it happens

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Riverdale in particular is pretty big for Netflix. This whole thing is BS. What's wrong with Netflix for real, why do they feel they want to lose everything.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Netflix is also instrumental in getting those CW shows out there internationally right? At least here most of them are even added weekly as they air.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Riverdale in particular is pretty big for Netflix. This whole thing is BS. What's wrong with Netflix for real, why do they feel they want to lose everything.
I don't think this is because of Netflix. I think it was a decision by CBS/Warner Brothers. Both of those corporations have their own proprietary streaming services and both don't see the value anymore in having one service taking up all their network's output domestically.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't think this is because of Netflix. I think it was a decision by CBS/Warner Brothers. Both of those corporations have their own proprietary streaming services and both don't see the value anymore in having one service taking up all their network's output domestically.
Yeah, if they can make more money sending their shows to CBSAA or Warner Streaming then they'd be dumb not to. Even if Netflix does keep some shows, CBS/WB streaming services will bid up the price for Netflix to keep what they do.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Netflix/CW deal was dead when they first announced a DC streaming service. They'd have to be idiots not to put the Arrowverse on there exclusively, streaming-wise.

Oct 25, 2017
Not especially. After two seasons, it feels like wasted potential. Every episode makes it seem like you're on the cusp of something amazing happening, and then not very much happens.

It's also a show with world-building that works better the less you think about it. From the mermaids and their culture, to their historical interactions with humans in the show, and even several of the human institutions. They're all shallow pastiches that act like they have something to say, then never dive very deep into the implications of it.

Thats disappointing to hear, thanks.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
This is becoming ridiculous. For you to watch your streaming needs (wants), you will need 10 different streaming services. All of them in that $10-15 range.

No thanks.

What is this about "cutting the cord"?

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I think you're right. Still not happy about it though. I'm so sick of all these upcoming streaming services to be honest.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is becoming ridiculous. For you to watch your streaming needs (wants), you will need 10 different streaming services. All of them in that $10-15 range.

No thanks.

Cut the cord, and then replace it with sixteen new ones!

It's somehow turning out to be more expensive than cable.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Since Berz isn't here to defend himself I'd like to take this time to tell him that Lone Star is the best show ever and if he does not respond in two days his silence will be taken as an agreement of this statement of fact

Oct 25, 2017
Its crazy to me that Amazing Race 32 filmed last November and won't air till April or May of 2020.

Ratings are starting to worry me though that it doesn't have too many seasons left.

Last edited:

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe you people are sleeping on the biggest news of Upfronts so far.

PRO WRESTLING BACK ON TNT AFTER 20 YEARS!

Oct 27, 2017
The Netflix/CW deal was dead when they first announced a DC streaming service. They'd have to be idiots not to put the Arrowverse on there exclusively, streaming-wise.

"Past seasons of CW series that premiered through the current 2018-19 season, such as The Flash and Riverdale, will continue to stream on Netflix during the broadcast life of the series and beyond."

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goggins is such a weird pick for that role. Not like he'll be bad at it but doesn't play to his strengths at all.

Hopefully it lasts a couple seasons and he gets paid and then gets back to playing weirdos and pyschos. Like a beardless Manzoukas.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
So Snowpiercer got renewed for Season 2... and is moving to TBS? Huh?

TBS programming dramas kind of dilutes the brand - now there's no real difference between TNT and TBS. Odd, especially when you consider that TNT only has 2 dramas right now in Claws and Animal Kingdom. If they were flooded with shows, it might make sense to dump some of the overflow onto TBS, but taking their highest profile new drama and sticking it on their comedy channel strikes me as misguided.

Oh boy...

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

No thanks.

Did you think studios would leave money on the table? This shit was called years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.