• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney and CBS can carve out a niche for themselves, but there's no draw to Warner.
Friends. The Big Bang Theory.
Potentially HUGE story:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/t...g-cheating-reprehensible-studio-fraud-1190346

Very telling that Fox isn't even going to contest the actual fraud, just the damages. Also note several executives who are moving into top positions at Disney are being accused of outright lying to the arbitrator...
Jeeez. That bit where the Fox exec got a rich FX deal months before he was supposed to testify and the fact the Bones deal was signed by the same person for both sides is so damning.

I'm curious to see the AMC trial now.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole "ST-D is getting cancelled" and just recently "it's not canon" is a coordinated campaign among several Star Trek youtubers to drive traffic. Not coincidentally they're also filled with SJW complaining and barely concealed racism.
If they claim Star Trek Discovery is a disappointment for CBS All Acess they are not reliable at all, the entire "Discovery is a failure" narrative is driven by channels like Nerdrotic, Midnight's Edge and others on youtube who have a hate boner and their only sources are their own butts.
CBS All Acess has publically stated that the show is a success for them, they have reached their subscriber goal two years early and around six other Star Trek shows are in development with the Picard show being released in late 2019. You don't do a bunch of spin offs for a failure, that's just common sense.
Clearly a show that does not do well for CBS AA.
I'm not talking about random YouTubers. There's a reason they have completely changed the showrunners multiple times. We'll see though. They're definitely trying to make it work no matter what because they don't exactly have anything else. But it doesn't mean they don't wish they had better. Like if they cancel STD they're basically admitting CBS AA is a failure.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they claim Star Trek Discovery is a disappointment for CBS All Acess they are not reliable at all, the entire "Discovery is a failure" narrative is driven by channels like Nerdrotic, Midnight's Edge and others on youtube who have a hate boner and their only sources are their own butts.
CBS All Acess has publically stated that the show is a success for them, they have reached their subscriber goal two years early and around six other Star Trek shows are in development with the Picard show being released in late 2019. You don't do a bunch of spin offs for a failure, that's just common sense.
I don't think ST:D is a total failure, but I do think it has been underwhelming. You don't greenlight a Star Trek show, give it a big budget, and launch it as the flagship series of an upstart service if you don't expect it to be huge. I think it's big, but it certainly it isn't a GoT-level zeitgeist defining show that CBS execs had clearly hoped it would be. That's why I think they're preying on the nostalgia for the old Trek series by bringing back Spock, Picard, Pike, and so on. To be fair, this is from the view of someone looking from the outside in and I fully admit I may not be in touch with the popular culture. That being said, I can see the argument for why people consider it a failure. The arguments you gave for it not being a failure can also be used to justify why it might be considered one: CBS needs a bigger hit and is going all in on Star Trek to find the one show that'll get people talking a la "Game of Thrones" or "Empire" S1.

And let's be fair, CBS AA would never publicly admit that the show isn't doing as well as it hoped and saying nebulous things like subscriber goals were reached earlier than expected could mean anything. Lord knows people aren't subscribing to CBS AA for "The Good Fight" or "Tell Me a Story."

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I don't think ST:D is a total failure, but I do think it has been underwhelming. You don't greenlight a Star Trek show, give it a big budget, and launch it as the flagship series of an upstart service if you don't expect it to be huge. I think it's big, but it certainly it isn't a GoT-level zeitgeist defining show that CBS execs had clearly hoped it would be. That's why I think they're preying on the nostalgia for the old Trek series by bringing back Spock, Picard, Pike, and so on. To be fair, this is from the view of someone looking from the outside in and I fully admit I may not be in touch with the popular culture. That being said, I can see the argument for why people consider it a failure. The arguments you gave for it not being a failure can also be used to justify why it might be considered one: CBS needs a bigger hit and is going all in on Star Trek to find the one show that'll get people talking a la "Game of Thrones" or "Empire" S1.

And let's be fair, CBS AA would never publicly admit that the show isn't doing as well as it hoped and saying nebulous things like subscriber goals were reached earlier than expected could mean anything. Lord knows people aren't subscribing to CBS AA for "The Good Fight" or "Tell Me a Story."
So you think GOT would have been even 10% as popular if it had been launched the first day HBO first started broadcasting?

Discovery is still huge, if not in the US then in the rest of the world where it is broadcast weekly on Netflix.

This is also the reason all those CW shows survive on 0.2 ratings year after year.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you think GOT would have been even 10% as popular if it had been launched the first day HBO first started broadcasting?

Discovery is still huge, if not in the US then in the rest of the world where it is broadcast weekly on Netflix.

This is also the reason all those CW shows survive on 0.2 ratings year after year.
CBS making money off of ST:D via Netflix licensing and being successful in that way is a different story than ST:D driving subscribers to CBS AA and being successful in that way. (And by extension CBS AA being successful at all).

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Lord knows people aren't subscribing to CBS AA for "The Good Fight"
2016-05-09%2000_32_28.gif

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

I have a feeling this is one of the more accurate descriptions of Star Trek Discovery's success that I've read. I would be interested to know if Netflix was willing to pay as much for Discovery Season 2 as they did for Season 1 (as far as I know CBS hasn't said if Netflix basically paid for the entire episodes like they did for season 1).
I get the feeling that CBS announcing all of these Star Trek shows are an attempt to get people to keep All Access when Discovery is over. I also have my doubt that all of them will be made but we'll see.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of two people? Wow, that's almost half of CBS AA's subscribers. /s

But, you weirdos aside, CBS AA is basically fueled by Trekkies. While a good base, it isn't big enough to survive the streaming wars that'll ensue once WarnerMedia and Disney+ enter the scene.

Nov 1, 2017

But, you weirdos aside, CBS AA is basically fueled by Trekkies. While a good base, it isn't big enough to survive the streaming wars that'll ensue once WarnerMedia and Disney+ enter the scene.

Hey, there were three of us!

I'm sure Star Trek is handily the most popular AA show but The Good Wife was one of CBS's most popular shows on streaming platforms when it was on. I think TGF might do better numbers than people give it credit for.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Potentially HUGE story:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/t...g-cheating-reprehensible-studio-fraud-1190346

Very telling that Fox isn't even going to contest the actual fraud, just the damages. Also note several executives who are moving into top positions at Disney are being accused of outright lying to the arbitrator...
In his decision, Lichtman then addresses what he considers "perhaps the most shocking piece of evidence related to the Hulu issues…Fox actually signed both sides of this agreement. Mr. Dan Fawcett signed the Fox Content License Agreement on behalf of both FEG [Fox Entertainment Group] and Hulu."
That's something else. Not even an attempt at obfuscating the improper self-dealing.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017

I'd love to see the numbers on that. I'm a huge Star Trek fan, but I'm not even subscribing to CBS until the whole show is done and I can binge it in a month and then cancel again (it was nice to watch the first episode on YouTube for free though).

Could easily be the case that it's the most popular, but they do have a lot of other shows that appeal to other audiences (if we include non-exclusive ones too in their backlog). Whether those audiences are subscribing to streaming services or even know what a "streaming service" is, that's another matter, haha.

Plus isn't Twilight Zone only streaming there too? I have a feeling that might be pretty popular too.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017

That fast? Nice!! I thought we'd be kept waiting for a while. So good to hear.

EDIT:

I was already hoping for a Halloween episode but some of the ideas posted into the reddit thread I just saw about the renewal are really great and I wish they would happen.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
curious how much companies pay to get the special icons with their hashtags on twitter and permanent placement on the top US trends when they air (its just doubtful that every single one of the final masks as well as the name of the show itself would actually have all the top spots along with Riverdale imo)

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
There is something about the character and the heavy use of blue hue in the Whiskey Cavalier photo that makes me think of a 90's series. Also, I think 8 minutes of this show is enough for me. Maybe if I hear in the future that its a good series I'll come check it out but right now it seems that I am done.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I just found out about this show on accident tonight, happen to start on ep 8 and I'm like 1/2 way through the episode and am thinking what even is this show, it's crazy.
The finale was tonight, it's been renewed but it's basically a ridiculous singing competition where everyone is anonymous but it's just comfort television for me.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY

How could you not mention the series' oddball hook: they're not playing the 90210 characters, they're playing themselves trying to get the show rebooted!
In the new series, having gone their separate ways since the original series ended 19 years ago, Jason, Jennie, Ian, Gabrielle, Brian and Tori reunite when one of them suggests it's time to get a Beverly Hills, 90210 reboot up and running. But getting it going may make for an even more delicious soap than the reboot itself. What will happen when first loves, old romances, friends and frenemies come back together, as this iconic cast – whom the whole world watched grow up together – attempts to continue from where they left off?

Status
Not open for further replies.