• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Time for Wayward Sisters, right?
Lol.

You laugh, but having Supernatural end next year makes it hurt even more with Wayward Sisters not being picked up. It could have carried on the torch, as well as having guest spots with Padalecki and Ackles from time to time.

On another note, to everyone, how is The Outpost? Didn't watch the first season as I thought it would be cancelled, but thinking of catching up on it now before the season starts. I think it's on Netflix.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
We already have a great monster of the week shows with some kickass girls in the lead. Wayward Sisters could never be as good.

tumblr_pno3dstFM31y7yurko1_r1_540.gif

It also has actual monsters instead of people with weird teeth.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, what is that show?

Either way, no reason they couldn't have had both shows. And I still was really looking forward watching Wayward Sisters. I liked the ensemble, the backdoor pilot was enjoyable and they were primed for a good run. As well as being in the Supernatural universe (carrying on the torch).

Edit: Wait, that looks like Josie from Legacies. I do watch that show, but it's been awhile and I have a number of episodes backed up on the DVR (haven't seen this episode yet).

Where I have enjoyed the Vampire Diaries universe, I have enjoyed Supernatural more.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You laugh, but having Supernatural end next year makes it hurt even more with Wayward Sisters not being picked up. It could have carried on the torch, as well as having guest spots with Padalecki and Ackles from time to time.

On another note, to everyone, how is The Outpost? Didn't watch the first season as I thought it would be cancelled, but thinking of catching up on it now before the season starts. I think it's on Netflix.

The backdoor pilot for Wayward Sisters was pretty good plus the cast was already well known to Supernatural fans after multiple guest appearances, I've seen spinoffs built on much, much worse concepts. They could've easily turn into a proper show with the brothers (or other Supernatural cast members) making guest appearances once or twice per season to boost the ratings

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We already have a great monster of the week shows with some kickass girls in the lead. Wayward Sisters could never be as good.

tumblr_pno3dstFM31y7yurko1_r1_540.gif

It also has actual monsters instead of people with weird teeth.

It's weird, Supernatural never really had any monsters with even half extensive makeup after the wendigo in the first season. I wonder why.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Is that Legacies? I'm considering getting into the Vampire Diaries universe but feel a bit overwhelmed lol

Yes. Legacies is a fairly nice reset, but with callbacks to both shows. I'd honestly say to watch at least Vampire Diaries. Peak Vampire Diaries was great.

Edit: Wait, that looks like Josie from Legacies. I do watch that show, but it's been awhile and I have a number of episodes backed up on the DVR (haven't seen this episode yet).

Indeed. Josie from Legacies. Who is like only the fourth best girl on that show.

The backdoor pilot for Wayward Sisters was pretty good plus the cast was already well known to Supernatural fans after multiple guest appearances, I've seen spinoffs built on much, much worse concepts. They could've easily turn into a proper show with the brothers (or other Supernatural cast members) making guest appearances once or twice per season to boost the ratings

Pedowitz has been very open in regards to his shows, his doubts and what he wants to achieve. I believe him when he claims the show wasn't coming together.

It's weird, Supernatural never really had any monsters with even half extensive makeup after the wendigo in the first season. I wonder why.

It costs money. Supernatural was made on the budget of a shoestring. After that first season, the merger happened. By the time The CW came back to CGI like this - The Flash and Legends - it was really not possible anymore within that show's setting. Due to the story of Legacies, it is very much possible for them to go 'heavy' on CGI.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
People really don't remember the other Supernatural spinoff? About people hip to magic and good monsters just trying to get by

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pedowitz has been very open in regards to his shows, his doubts and what he wants to achieve. I believe him when he claims the show wasn't coming together.
I've read Pedowit'z comments on dropping the idea for the spinoff and I definitely may be biased on this subject. ;) It just feels strange to me how you can mess up the concept for a show like this. I mean you already have a good cast, all the Supernatural lore is there and CW has experience doing similar shows.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

Legacies, the new Vampire Diaries spin-off.

I've read Pedowit'z comments on dropping the idea for the spinoff and I definitely may be biased on this subject. ;) It just feels strange to me how you can mess up the concept for a show like this. I mean you already have a good cast, all the Supernatural lore is there and CW has experience doing similar shows.

They just took one episode longer to fuck up this spin-off than the previous ones. The first they failed in the scripting, the second in the pilot, and so now the third apparantly in the second episode.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Supernatural is actually ending. 😮
Seemed like it could've survived the heat death of the universe lmao.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Supernatural is Sam and Dean, I doubt anyone could make a successful spin-off of it.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting about The Wire talk because i too recently started catching-up on it (finished the first 2 seasons). I have to guess it's a 'back at its time' thing because i'm finding it underwhelming.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Vampire Diaries universe. I've watched every episode of all the shows (except the current episodes on my DVR of Legacies, but I'll get to them). Legacies is ok so far and I like Matt Davis and Danielle Rose Russell, but maybe part of me is still disappointed Candice King didn't become part of the show. I know it was by her choice, but even still. I mean it just doesn't make a lot of sense. Caroline starts the school, and does so in the name of her deceased lover, but then runs off indefinitely to other parts of the world. I honestly don't even remember what they indicated she is doing. So yeah, maybe that was a big strike for me in the start of Legacies. It's decent so far, but it would have been so much better with Caroline.

I really don't know what Pedowitz saw that he "didn't like" about Wayward Sisters, but I thought Wayward Sisters had as good of premise as any. It had a strong connection to the original show and they did a good job of building likable characters that also certainly could hold their own. It had a lot of potential. I definitely would have liked to have seen where they could have taken it.

Last edited:

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
The Legacies vs Wayward Sisters debate was one I didn't think would die down that quickly (or even with Legacies outlasting the original content at that). Still, there's no doubt in my mind the CW would try one more shot at a Supernatural spinoff. Might as well be the one that had a lot of backing.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Legacies is ok so far and I like Matt Davis and Danielle Rose Russell, but maybe part of me is still disappointed Candice King didn't become part of the show. I know it was by her choice, but even still. I mean it just doesn't make a lot of sense. Caroline starts the school, and does so in the name of her deceased lover, but then runs off indefinitely to other parts of the world. I honestly don't even remember what they indicated she is doing.
They've flat out said why multiple times.

She's off looking for a way that the twins can get out of one killing the other once they get older because of the Gemini Coven curse.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Just read an article letting me know Farscape is back streaming on Amazon Prime Video. Didn't watch during the initial run, but remember it being a big cult favorite. Started to get into season 1 a couple years back, then it was pulled from most services. Now I can get back into the show.

giphy.gif

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Just read an article letting me know Farscape is back streaming on Amazon Prime Video. Didn't watch during the initial run, but remember it being a big cult favorite. Started to get into season 1 a couple years back, then it was pulled from most services. Now I can get back into the show.

giphy.gif

I figured it was for the U.S. only, it's in Canada too! That's awesome.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Liking this season of AP Bio a lot more. They're getting a lot weirder with things, and have de-emphasized Howerton's screentime a little bit to allow the rest of the cast room to breathe and grow. 1st season relied too heavily on Howerton and Oswalt, who even though they are great, just didn't have enough to work with to carry things.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Random thing I just noticed: HBO did the whole split final season thing a few years before The Sopranos (06-07) with the final season of Sex and the City (03-04). (The Sopranos' split had almost a year in between halves and SatC was only a few months, but still!)

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
There been 5 seasons of Madam Sectary? Where has the time gone

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Apple is set to announce their TV plans tomorrow - I'm very curious to find out what their concrete plans are...

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
Probably taking on Amazon and Netflix head on with their own lineup of original programming. I wouldn't expect anything too innovative.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we already know they have a ton of original content lined up - we just don't know how exactly they're going to deliver it yet.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Seasons 4 and 5 of The Wire are my faves. I usually see Season 4 listed as one of the best and parts of S5 noted as disappointing.

Also In Treatment is one of my favorite HBO series alongside SFU, Enlightened, Big Love and Carnivale. I enjoyed Barry S1 a lot, too. I'd really like to see some of the other versions of In Treatment, like the Japanese remake.
Season 5 is bad. What it's trying to do is good but the execution is just crap. There's some good stuff/character moments sprinkled there and it never turnd, like, BBT levels of horrible, but it just feels the least like a realistic portrayal of anything of Wire seasons.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
The CW is gonna have a lot of spots to fill in the coming year. I hope they renew Roswell. I'm really liking that show.

Is that Legacies? I'm considering getting into the Vampire Diaries universe but feel a bit overwhelmed lol

Julie Plec, one of the EPs behind the Roswell remake, was the main creative force behind The Vampire Diaries, so there's a good chance you will enjoy TVD also. She also worked on Containment, a one season CW show from a couple years back about a viral outbreak and quarantine. It had a couple TVD actors on it and it was really compelling and enjoyable.

TVD though is one of my absolute favorite series of all time and I can't recommend it enough. If you get into it, you will really find it an engrossing and compelling viewing experience with well drawn characters and an exciting and ever-changing plot. I will say the first few episodes are just ok, so it's one of those shows where you have to stick with it through the first part of the first season, and then it kicks things up several notches and starts to pull you in more.

In terms of it's overwhelmingness as a universe, it's not as complicated as it may seem. TVD is the main series and ran for 8 seasons. Starting with Season 5, the spinoff The Originals ran concurrently. The Originals lasted for five seasons and the final season set up Legacies, which is currently finishing its first season And is a spin-off of both series.

So when you get to season 5 of the VD and The Originals begins, you could alternate episodes or seasons for the mostly small crossovers between the two shows.

Or you could watch all of The Originals at once after finishing the entirety of TVD. There's only one or two true crossover episodes from what I remember and I think that may be the most enjoyable way. I found alternating episodes between the two series to diminish the pace or momentum of each show.

So I'd recommend alternating seasons or just watching all of Originals after TVD. The very little you'd miss out on with crossovers would be better than randomly throwing in an Originals episode with lots of unfamiliar plot points specific to that series.

I loved TVD, liked S1 , 2 and especially 5 of Originals a lot (S3 and 4 were less compelling to me) and am eager to watch Legacies when the season finishes.

Tl;Dr just start with the first seasons of the main series and go from there. Hope you dig it.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Apple event will be half baked. I imagine a lot of it will be production stills or behind the scenes looks, if they show off shows, since most of them just finished filming or are close to finishing, according to reports. I think they are still aiming for fall, aren't they? Or will they launch with one show in the summer along with some package deals? Haha, today will be interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
Julie Plec, one of the EPs behind the Roswell remake, was the main creative force behind The Vampire Diaries, so there's a good chance you will enjoy TVD also. She also worked on Containment, a one season CW show from a couple years back about a viral outbreak and quarantine. It had a couple TVD actors on it and it was really compelling and enjoyable.

TVD though is one of my absolute favorite series of all time and I can't recommend it enough. If you get into it, you will really find it an engrossing and compelling viewing experience with well drawn characters and an exciting and ever-changing plot. I will say the first few episodes are just ok, so it's one of those shows where you have to stick with it through the first part of the first season, and then it kicks things up several notches and starts to pull you in more.

In terms of it's overwhelmingness as a universe, it's not as complicated as it may seem. TVD is the main series and ran for 8 seasons. Starting with Season 5, the spinoff The Originals ran concurrently. The Originals lasted for five seasons and the final season set up Legacies, which is currently finishing its first season And is a spin-off of both series.

So when you get to season 5 of the VD and The Originals begins, you could alternate episodes or seasons for the mostly small crossovers between the two shows.

Or you could watch all of The Originals at once after finishing the entirety of TVD. There's only one or two true crossover episodes from what I remember and I think that may be the most enjoyable way. I found alternating episodes between the two series to diminish the pace or momentum of each show.

So I'd recommend alternating seasons or just watching all of Originals after TVD. The very little you'd miss out on with crossovers would be better than randomly throwing in an Originals episode with lots of unfamiliar plot points specific to that series.

I loved TVD, liked S1 , 2 and especially 5 of Originals a lot (S3 and 4 were less compelling to me) and am eager to watch Legacies when the season finishes.

Tl;Dr just start with the first seasons of the main series and go from there. Hope you dig it.
Thank you for this detailed and very informative post! I'll definitely start with the Vampire Diaries and think I'll alternate between that and Originals when I get to season 5. It sounds like I'll like these shows!

Status
Not open for further replies.