• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
6 seasons for BCS sounds right. Last year the showrunner hinted about it having a similar number of eps as BB, which was 62. Each of the 4 BCS seasons so far has been 40. There's still plenty to tell, including potentially in the period after BB. I actually think they've been a bit slow getting to where they're at now. When the show was first announced I thought we'd be seeing more of Saul's capers as a dodgy lawyer, instead it's taken 40 episodes just to reach that point.

https://www.vox.com/i-think-youre-i...all-saul-finale-interview-recap-winner-ending

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Monday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2019-Apr-22.MON_.png

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'Game Of Thrones' Viewership Down From Final Season Debut
On the cusp of the battle of all battles on Game Of Thrones, Easter Sunday's " A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" second episode of the final season of the HBO blockbuster had a lot of drinking, a lot of talk about death and some mixed messages viewershipwise.

Coming off the sky high Dragon flying numbers of the long anticipated April 14 debut, the just over 1 hour long April 21 episode snared 10.3 million viewers on HBO proper. While down about 12.5% in terms of those watching on linear TV from last week's "Winterfell," the fifth to last episode of GoT ever is actually the fourth most watched episode of the series ever.

Now, that's before we get the digital viewership off HBOGo and HBO Now. Telling of how people actually watch the small screen in 2019, that additional data pushed the Season 8 opener to 17.4 million, the largest viewership GoT has ever had. We'll update when those numbers come in.

As it is right now, Thrones is up 10.6% from the "Stormborn" second episode of Seven 7, which aired on July 23, 2017.

Despite the premium cabler's ongoing carriage battle with Dish, which is has HBO dark, GoT was still the biggest thing on the small screen on Sunday.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Matt Zoller Seitz: Sundown on Deadwood David Milch, battling Alzheimer's, finally finishes his TV Western.

I didn't know Milch was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

EDIT: Some discussion of his post-Deadwood work:
Deadwood was supposed to run for at least four seasons but got canceled after three owing to a financial dispute between HBO and co-producer Paramount (which owned the international rights) as well as HBO's increasing exasperation with Milch's improvisational production methods and declining ratings. His follow-up, the seaside parable John From Cincinnati, ran just one season. There would be more attempts at series: Some never got past the pilot stage, including The Money, a family drama about a superrich media clan, and the '70s cop drama Last of the Ninth. The HBO racetrack drama Luck got axed early in season two after a series of horse deaths; it had been green-lighted despite HBO's skittishness when Milch agreed to cede control of the filmmaking to executive producer Michael Mann. Milch then wrote six episodes of a historical drama about Boss Tweed but shelved it when there were no buyers. And a couple of years ago, it was reported that Milch was joining the third season of Nic Pizzolatto's HBO crime drama, True Detective, but it turns out the extent of his involvement was exaggerated. "Nic had written the first few episodes and came to David for advice and guidance, and they worked together on what became the fourth episode," says Rita Milch. "But then Nic continued on his own."

Is there a thread for updated Premiere Dates for 2019?
They mostly get posted in the monthly threads, but I don't think there's a global index for the entire calendar year unless there's something I'm overlooking.

Last edited:

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Matt Zoller Seitz: Sundown on Deadwood David Milch, battling Alzheimer's, finally finishes his TV Western.

I didn't know Milch was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

They mostly get posted in the monthly threads, but I don't think there's a global index for the entire calendar year unless there's something I'm overlooking.

Thanks, I'll just keep checking that thread.

I go here, but there's no updating when things are added, you just have to look through the whole thing every day.

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/tv-premiere-dates

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
Is this going to be more choose your own adventure stuff? If not, I'm interested.
What/If explores "the ripple effects of what happens when acceptable people start doing unacceptable things. Each season will tackle a different morality tale inspired by culturally consequential source material, and the power of a single fateful decision to change the trajectory of an entire life." The first season of the series is expected to follow "two struggling newlyweds who accept a powerful woman's ethically perilous proposition to secure a badly needed financial windfall.

In other Netflix news:

Netflix Orders New Adult Animated Series From 'Gravity Falls' Duo

Netflix has ordered adult animated series Inside Job from showrunner and exec producer Shion Takeuchi (Gravity Falls), her first project under her multiyear overall deal with Netflix.

The 20-episode series is described as a "workplace comedy set in the shadow government, where every conspiracy theory — from the Illuminati to Reptoids — is true, and one woman struggles to keep the chaos under wraps." Gravity Falls creator Alex Hirsch, who also has a lucrative deal with the streaming giant, is co-exec producer.

I belive this is also Hirsch's first announced project for Netflix, though it doesn't sound like he's a creative principal here.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf at milch?! God that's depressing. I'd imagine this is his swan song then. I sure hope someone picks up that Boss Tweed project and makes it a reality :(

I'd just like to add that the vulture article about Milch that cornballer linked to is beautiful and worth a read

Last edited:
OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
All their stuff is down, Legends is slightly below Supergirl and Charmed is lower than both

Yeah. I have to wonder what's been dragging their ratings down across the board. It can't just be show fatigue, can it? Obviously the Netflix deal helps keep the shows safer than they would be on another network, but it really feels like the CW is bleeding out in general.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
The Showtime Lakers were doing some crazy thing and are lucky social media wasn't a thing, so it really depends on what they cover.
Watching rich athletes party, fuck, and feud isn't super compelling to me. In my mind, this isn't the kind of history that demands longform dramatization. There's no "there" there.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Killing Eve S2

Week 1:

769K on AMC
403K on BBC America

1.172 million total

Week 2:

609K on AMC
321K on BBC America

930K total

~

A Discovery of Witches

Week 1:

853K on AMC
225K on BBC America

1.078 million total

Week 2:

505K on AMC
171K on BBC America

676K total

Killing Eve week 3

620K on AMC
361K on BBC America

981K total

A Discovery of Witches week 3

539K on AMC
137K on BBC America

676K total

~

Killing Eve was up and ADoW was dead even with last week

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I don't have particularly strong feelings about Whedon either way, and I'll almost certainly give The Nevers a shot for at least the first few episodes, but it's definitely interesting to see just how much online geek culture has soured on him over the past few years.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I don't have particularly strong feelings about Whedon either way, and I'll almost certainly give The Nevers a shot for at least the first few episodes, but it's definitely interesting to see just how much online geek culture has soured on him over the past few years.
How has it soured on him? Not arguing that, genuinely curious, since the MCU stuff seems to be so well received. I used to be a huge fan of his back in the day with Buffy and Firefly. Since then, Dollhouse sucked, and the MCU stuff is great for what it is, but it's not like I watch those for the writing. Now I feel about him about the same as you do.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, Dollhouse is better than Firefly by the end and better & more consistent in its quality than most seasons of Buffy, especially if you watch the OG unaired pilot and then skip the first five or so aired episodes and start from episode ~6 onwards (like the show was originally intended to go before FOX wanted more episodic fluff at the beginning and a lot of the OG pilot material got spread into several episodes).

The OG pilot is a really efficient start for the show and skipping to the later episodes after that skips pretty much all of the filler FOX forced on the show at first as well as some other problematic aspects (the sex slavery thing is handled a bit too light-heartedly, but there's far less of it later on & unless my memory completely betrays me, the worst stuff is contained in episodic filler episodes at the start). This helps you get a lot faster into the meat of the story & the more sinister, darker themes of the setup & all the cleverer usages of the setting.

The second season especially is peak-level Whedon (warts and all). Dushku isn't the best actor but she's ok enough not to drag the show down completely and the cast is excellent otherwise, which brings the overall quality of the show up.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: Whedon is way overrated in general.

His best idea never got to live up to its potential, and was basically just a mishmash of Cowboy Bebop, Star Wars, and Star Trek anyways.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Angel is way better than Buffy, Dollhouse, Firefly or Avengers

Dr Horrible was good
Angel Season 5 >>>>>>> everything.

Hot take: Whedon is way overrated in general.

His best idea never got to live up to its potential, and was basically just a mishmash of Cowboy Bebop, Star Wars, and Star Trek anyways.
He is and isn't. In his court/style of lower-to-mid budget genre fiction/TV, I don't think there are a huge number of people who can reach or exceed the highs that Whedon's work reaches at its absolute best when it comes to offering engaging storylines (especially some really good twists & endings), fun characters & compelling character dynamics, but he also has some really low lows that many others don't fall to. He's also better at writing than he is at directing. He brings his own distinct style to his writing (that you may like or hate) but there's really nothing all that remarkable with most of his directing work, outside of some singular moments/episodes (The Body still being one of the highlights of his career in both writing & directing).

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Angel Season 5 >>>>>>> everything.

He is and isn't. In his court/style of lower-to-mid budget genre fiction/TV, I don't think there are a huge number of people who can reach or exceed the highs that Whedon's work reaches at its absolute best when it comes to offering engaging storylines (especially some really good twists & endings), fun characters & compelling character dynamics, but he also has some really low lows that many others don't fall to. He's also better at writing than he is at directing. He brings his own distinct style to his writing (that you may like or hate) but there's really nothing all that remarkable with most of his directing work, outside of some singular moments/episodes (The Body still being one of the highlights of his career in both writing & directing).
This is a good take

His feminist writing hasn't evolved with the times though which is what has lead to a lot of the modern backlash

Also Angel S4 is damn good too, I didn't mind them going fully dark and serialized (why Buffy S6 was good)

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I generally liked Firefly and a fair amount of Dollhouse, but I'd be afraid to revisit those as someone who has aged and now knows much more about Whedon's personal qualities. Cabin in the Woods is great, for whatever his involvement was worth. Hated Dr Horrible and Avengers.

HBO throwing money at him for this low-rent premise just feels like a willful refusal to acknowledge that it's 2019 and not 2004. In a slightly different way, I feel the same way about HBO greenlighting that JJ Abrams show. *insert whatyearisit.jpg*

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Dollhouse was never anything other than atrocious and writing a role where an actor as weak as Eliza Dushku had to play multiple characters was sheer lunacy.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Not rocket science, but also entirely uninspired and uninspiring. These are two guys who haven't created or run any good TV in at least a decade. HBO can do better.
Can they really? Like who?

I'm giving both a chance since one of my favorite recent HBO shows came from Damon Lindelofof all people.

Status
Not open for further replies.