• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Jane the Virgin, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and iZombie are all ending this season, so there will definitely be some new IPs from the CW come fall/midseason. (even though most of the CW's pilots aren't new IPs - Batwoman, Nancy Drew, Katy Keene, Lost Boys, and Jane the Novella. Glamorous is the only one that's new as far as I can tell...)

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
As a GoT show hater, I have far more general confidence in the prequels since they can theoretically create their own characters and give them actual arcs and thematically appropriate conclusions. Far different then co-opting GRRM's creations and killing them off in droves because you have no clue what to do with most of them.
I absolutely adore the show (and the books) but I've accepted fully that the show is just fun spectacle at this point so I'm actually with you.

I'd love to see a GoT series that showcases strong writing and themes over bombast and glitter and I'm hopeful we'll get at least some of that with this series. To be sure the setting alone guarantees magic and monsters galore but I'm hopeful that they'll use the clean slate to favor the intrigue that everyone so enjoyed in the early seasons over the battles later on.

In fact, you know what, can we just have Deadwood game of thrones please?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm interested in the GoT prequel. There's no shortage of material to cover. Of course it will have big shoes to fill, and I wonder if they'll blow the same budgets per episode or see it as a cash-in with more exposition and fewer big set pieces. I guess we'll see. It may never reach the heights of GoT and at the same time be well worth watching anyway.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking around in interviews with the cast of The Son and I saw Pierce Brosnan say that season 2 (which premieres this Saturday! for like the handful of people here who might watch) ends conclusively and that he can't imagine how the show would have continued into a third season, which makes it sound like they finished adapting the novel and were ready to end the show because the story was over. So that's nice.

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
I'm interested in the GoT prequel. There's no shortage of material to cover. Of course it will have big shoes to fill, and I wonder if they'll blow the same budgets per episode or see it as a cash-in with more exposition and fewer big set pieces. I guess we'll see. It may never reach the heights of GoT and at the same time be well worth watching anyway.

There's nothing at stake in these shows. Whomever is running/writing these shows has a Herculean task in front of them, in light of all the chips being on the table in the original series. Meh. Prove me wrong.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking around in interviews with the cast of The Son and I saw Pierce Brosnan say that season 2 (which premieres this Saturday! for like the handful of people here who might watch) ends conclusively and that he can't imagine how the show would have continued into a third season, which makes it sound like they finished adapting the novel and were ready to end the show because the story was over. So that's nice.

I was able to review the season, it definitely has a full ending!

(Also it's much better this year.)

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Need a new show to binge! Feel like ive seen pretty much everything and dont know if theres anything else out there I might be interested in. Recently finished Agents of Shield again, Leverage, The 100, and Strike Back. Thinking about rewatching Person of Interest or Battlestar, unless I find something else to check out.

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
Need a new show to binge! Feel like ive seen pretty much everything and dont know if theres anything else out there I might be interested in. Recently finished Agents of Shield again, Leverage, The 100, and Strike Back. Thinking about rewatching Person of Interest or Battlestar, unless I find something else to check out.
Person of Interest is excellent. I would also recommend Justified, Bosch, and Southland if you haven't seen those.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Person of Interest is excellent. I would also recommend Justified, Bosch, and Southland if you haven't seen those.
Justified is one I have been thinking about. I watched the first season awhile back but moved on to something else at the time. Ill try going back though. Ive also heard good things about Banshee, so I might try that as well, even though I dont know much about it.

on new shows, ive been watching The Enemy Within and have been really enjoying it so far. I kinda hope they drop the main hook of the show though lol. The main character is such a badass on her own, the whole her being in prison angle kinda brings it down a bit for me. Would like to see her in her A game without having all the restrictions.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Justified is one I have been thinking about. I watched the first season awhile back but moved on to something else at the time. Ill try going back though. Ive also heard good things about Banshee, so I might try that as well, even though I dont know much about it.

on new shows, ive been watching The Enemy Within and have been really enjoying it so far. I kinda hope they drop the main hook of the show though lol. The main character is such a badass on her own, the whole her being in prison angle kinda brings it down a bit for me. Would like to see her in her A game without having all the restrictions.
Justified and Banshee are both awesome. I think Banshee is shorter, if time is an issue.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I was able to review the season, it definitely has a full ending!

(Also it's much better this year.)

Oh nice! Do you know if they adapted the whole novel across the two seasons or are there still unresolved threads in the end (like Counterpart)?

Justified is a good one and Banshee is a lot of fun, even though the last season sucks. Have you seen Black Sails or Killing Eve? Spartacus?

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice! Do you know if they adapted the whole novel across the two seasons or are there still unresolved threads in the end (like Counterpart)?

Justified is a good one and Banshee is a lot of fun, even though the last season sucks. Have you seen Black Sails or Killing Eve? Spartacus?

I haven't been able to read the book yet, but from what I've picked up about it, it sounds like it deviates from it while also keeping pieces in there, as well. Definitely no unresolved threads, though, it feels like they knew it was the final season (they sent critics the whole season).

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been able to read the book yet, but from what I've picked up about it, it sounds like it deviates from it while also keeping pieces in there, as well. Definitely no unresolved threads, though, it feels like they knew it was the final season (they sent critics the whole season).

Excellent! :D

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
is the GoT off-shoot confirmed to be a prequel? Because I've been doing a rewatch->watch (I only watched up to S5 originally) and I keep thinking how much material there is just from the various tales they tell for a prequel.

Oct 28, 2017
is the GoT off-shoot confirmed to be a prequel? Because I've been doing a rewatch->watch (I only watched up to S5 originally) and I keep thinking how much material there is just from the various tales they tell for a prequel.

It's a prequel set like 1000 (or 10,000?) years in the past. Will show stuff like the formation of all the houses in Westeros and the building of the wall. I think it's far enough in the past that there's functionally a new story to tell here. I say that as someone who normally hates prequels due to their low-stakes nature. Here, we don't know who dies or how. The only thing we know is that singular characters can't die before they've had kids. That's it.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Wednesday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2019-Apr-24.WED_.png

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
My favorite thing about Dollhouse is when they realized they were gonna get canceled halfway through season 2 and crammed like 4 seasons worth of plot into five episodes.

Also a big fan of the series finale being a direct sequel to an episode that never aired on tv and was only made due to some sort of bizaare DVD contract obligation.

Yeah that was pretty great.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Sepinwall on the Deadwood movie also includes this excerpt about the cancellation:
Milch's impulsive nature could at times be curse as much as blessing. It may have played a role in the series' premature end. Dispute remains as to exactly why HBO pulled the plug — including budget overruns resulting from Milch's improvisational approach and the fact that HBO had to share ownership of the series with Paramount — but a crucial detail all agree on was that, while Milch was negotiating to potentially keep the series alive for a truncated fourth season, Olyphant was (like several of his co-stars) in the process of buying a house, assuming he'd have another year's salary to help pay for it. Milch, anxious at hearing this news from Olyphant, suggested the show had been canceled. Olyphant in turn called his representatives, more calls were made, and, as he puts it now, "It was a bit of a grass fire, that it became difficult for the two sides to walk back. In fact, the show was not over at all, but that by the time that spread around, no one wanted to back down from it. So it just became fact."

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like an anxiety sort of, "oh damn, I don't want to tie him down if this all goes south." Milch maybe didn't trust himself to keep Olyphant or the show around for the amount of years a house purchase regret could cause, haha.

(Total guess, though, it's a hell of a move!)

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I get the impression that he was nervous it may not get renewed and told Timothy that it was in fact already cancelled to avoid him wasting the $$ on a house in case it did in fact get cancelled. Weird lol
Bingo. Just sounds like a concern for his friend causing too much caution and then it got blown out of proportion. Of course there were numerous other factors like Milch's tendency to rewrite (the article goes into Bloys insisting on a completed script before greenlighting the movie), shared ownership with Paramount, etc... but this was one small thing that might have contributed.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Gotham series finale tonight! Trailer kinda showed off the entire thing... Looks like enough content for 2 hrs, but I doubt it.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I'm telling you guys, ABC will never have another comedy h....

Tuesday night's ratings. ABC's series premiere of "Bless This Mess" did surprisingly well, outperforming every other show on the network:

Fast-Demo-2019-Apr-16.TUE_.png
N... Nani?

Anyways, I took a look st the show a few days ago and thought it was alright. The reviews are also calling it network TV's best freshmen comedy so... take that as you will.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Good for Bless This Mess. I didn't even give the pilot a chance because the promos leading up to me had me completely disinterested.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
It's a prequel set like 1000 (or 10,000?) years in the past. Will show stuff like the formation of all the houses in Westeros and the building of the wall. I think it's far enough in the past that there's functionally a new story to tell here. I say that as someone who normally hates prequels due to their low-stakes nature. Here, we don't know who dies or how. The only thing we know is that singular characters can't die before they've had kids. That's it.

oh.So it wont touch on the whole mad king stuff and young Ned and whatnot. Shame.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Well then. As someone who watched the first few episodes of Gotham before outright quitting, I'm impressed with how long it lasted. So congrats to the team for managing to go out on their own terms.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Well then. As someone who watched the first few episodes of Gotham before outright quitting, I'm impressed with how long it lasted. So congrats to the team for managing to go out on their own terms.

Considering how rushed this and the last episode was, I doubt they went out the way they wanted to. They both felt like 3-4 episodes worth of things stuffed into one. And for a show dedicated to setting up Batman, they did almost everything they could to not show him in the suit.

On the topic of Fox...Please don't cancel The Orville. Please Please Please.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Considering how rushed this and the last episode was, I doubt they went out the way they wanted to. They both felt like 3-4 episodes worth of things stuffed into one. And for a show dedicated to setting up Batman, they did almost everything they could to not show him in the suit.

I mean, yeah I figured they would pull a Smallvile... I think they just shot their budget, to be honest. Definately felt like 3 story arcs going on at once. Enough material for a final season, or at the least, a 2 hr finale.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any opinions on Netflix's Chambers with Uma Thurman? It's been getting some tepid reviews, but it has Tony Goldwyn doing some strange yoga, so it can't be all bad.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I'm getting started on Person of Interest today. Let's see if I can get past the 1st season to get to the good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.