• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Question for the experts: I thought 22 episodes was the standard these days (or for the last few years) for broadcast shows. I noticed Elementary is still 24 eps per season tho, which seems very "old school".

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Semi-rsnt time.

I share with most people's thoughts that this is the worst looking bunch of newcomer's I've ever seen. I thought last year would be rock bottom, but the networks somehow found an even bigger hole to dig up to.

What made this season even more frustrating is that they did have some interesting concepts to work with. A Bad Boys spinoff set at a more serious tone. A modern and more relevant version of an all female cop duo. An LA Confidential show likened to the movie. A Supernatural that looked interesting and was well liked by the fans. A new take of a superhero show with an Indian cast (yeah it could have bomb, but it would have been great to check out). And they were all canned. I csn't help but feel that with the recent allegations of sexual assault, the networks wanted to play it safe with its shows and cast members (and yes, I mainly place the blame on Roseanne. Wonder how that's working for you ABC).

So this year, I'm going full heel. I'm hoping all the new shows get bodied by ratings decline. Even the one with that mom from Blockers, but who thinks that show actually stands a chance of survival?

At this point, the only "new" show I'm picking up is Atlanta which I should have picked up a long time ago. It doesn't help that I likely won't have anything to replace Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. The Gifted is a likely goner. If the ratings don't kill it, Disney's vision of a reboot will do it. My ABC comedies are either on shaky ground due to creator/actor controversies (Blackish) or are in the Friday Death Slot (Speechless and Fresh off the Boat). And while the survival of Brooklyn Nine-Nine is amazing, the odds of shows like that getting more than one season is slim (ironically, Last Man Standing is in the same situation).

So yeah... I hope the networks' decisions blow up in their faces. May ABC's decision to please both sides end up pushing off everyone, leading The Conners to its demise. May the thousands of Supernatural fans turn back on the spinoff of a spinoff of a spinoff of a vampire book. And may 2019 go down in history as a massacre the likes of which gave never been seen before.

Oh, but seriously fuck you ABC and may Modern Family burn in flames along with your newcomer comedy lineup.

5b54cd31c3074deee93ebfdb0b463ed8fb9cf45fr1-500-284_hq.gif
giphy.gif

Last edited:

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
All I got from that giant post (#56) is that people are still salty that Legacies got picked up over Wayward Sisters AKA the correct choice.

Last edited:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
...did we ever find out which newly cancelled show got picked up again? Teased on the last thread, but not sure if I missed it.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The EU prepares to adopt a law forcing SVOD services (Netflix, Amazon, et al.) to have at least 30% of their catalog consist of local shows.

Such a law could be formally adopted by the end of 2018. My take on it, this seems pretty good? If anything, it means that Netflix and Amazon now have a reason to ramp up their investment and purchases in international television. The success of shows like "Dark", "Gomorrah", and more show that international content can do well if given the proper exposure. In addition, I'd love for Netflix et al. to produce more films from countries that don't get their shot in the international limelight.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
The EU prepares to adopt a law forcing SVOD services (Netflix, Amazon, et al.) to have at least 30% of their catalog consist of local shows.

Such a law could be formally adopted by the end of 2018. My take on it, this seems pretty good? If anything, it means that Netflix and Amazon now have a reason to ramp up their investment and purchases in international television. The success of shows like "Dark", "Gomorrah", and more show that international content can do well if given the proper exposure. In addition, I'd love for Netflix et al. to produce more films from countries that don't get their shot in the international limelight.

Yeah, I'm for this, as well, for more content and opportunities for countries. I think Canada has something similar, or did at one point, can't remember which, because of the CRTC. If it means more international content, this sounds pretty good!

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think Netflix already qualifies for this, and Amazon has to be close. I'm very happy with the international content on Netflix. Babylon Berlin is straight up the best thing on the platform imo.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
What made this season even more frustrating is that they did have some interesting concepts to work with. A Bad Boys spinoff set at a more serious tone. A modern and more relevant version of an all female cop duo. An LA Confidential show likened to the movie. A Supernatural that looked interesting and was well liked by the fans. A new take of a superhero show with an Indian cast (yeah it could have bomb, but it would have been great to check out). And they were all canned.

The Bad Boys spinoff - LA's Finest - isn't dead!

https://deadline.com/2018/06/l-a-s-...eries-order-charter-communication-1202415251/

Charter Communications has given a 13-episode series order to LA's Finest, the drama pilot starring Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba from writers Brandon Margolis and Brandon Sonnier, Sony Pictures TV, Jerry Bruckheimer Television and 2.0 Entertainment. It is set to premiere in 2019 exclusively on Charter's Spectrum as the platform's first major original series.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Charter, I meant to post this when it broke but forgot about it until RatskyWatsky 's post about L.A.'s Finest (still love that title)
'The O.C's Adam Brody Joins Sky's 'Fast & The Furious'-Style Drama 'Curfew'; Strikes U.S. Deal With Charter
The O.C. star Adam Brody has joined Sky's Fast and the Furious-style drama Curfew and the show will air exclusively on Charter Communications via its Spectrum Originals in 2019.

Brody will play mysterious megalomaniac millionaire Max Larssen in the street race drama, which will air on Sky One and also stars Titanic star Billy Zane and The Hour's Miranda Richardson. It is a high-profile get for the British pay-TV giant, which is aggressively expanding its slate of original dramas.
They seem to have ambitions for their channel/OTT/whatever, but I'm not so sure it's worth the investment. It's not like AT&T's Audience has been a smash hit.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
It's so bizarre for cable providers to bother with exclusive content when the industry has been deregulated to the point where most Americans have very little choice in providers anyway.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Charter, I meant to post this when it broke but forgot about it until RatskyWatsky 's post about L.A.'s Finest (still love that title)
'The O.C's Adam Brody Joins Sky's 'Fast & The Furious'-Style Drama 'Curfew'; Strikes U.S. Deal With Charter

They seem to have ambitions for their channel/OTT/whatever, but I'm not so sure it's worth the investment. It's not like AT&T's Audience has been a smash hit.

mysterious megalomaniac millionaire Max

I see

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
It's so bizarre for cable providers to bother with exclusive content when the industry has been deregulated to the point where most Americans have very little choice in providers anyway.
Yup, and Audience makes even less sense since AT&T now owns HBO and Turner. I really don't get it, but hey if a giant telecom is what is required for a show that I'm not really planning to watch that features a mildly good pun to survive then I, for one, welcome our corporate overlords.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Okay, now Adventure Time is over. At least Steven Universe is there to fill its shoes.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

I have zero interest in any Portuguese shows tho >_>

Oct 28, 2017

I find the international shows to be generally lower quality (with a few exceptions). Probably because Hollywood steals all the best talent from everywhere else in the world. But mainly I hate subtitles as I can't passively watch.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I find the international shows to be generally lower quality (with a few exceptions). Probably because Hollywood steals all the best talent from everywhere else in the world. But mainly I hate subtitles as I can't passively watch.
Gomorrah, Babylon Berlin, and The Bureau are better than 90% of television elsewhere. but maybe those were the exceptions you mentioned...

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Your use of past tense is odd since it's still going on, and I disagree.
Didn't even realize that. I only watched two seasons. I just felt like some of the turns of character (the bosses son comes to mind, as well as the main protagonist from season one becoming a huge heel) didn't feel earned. At times it's beautiful, and the acting was great when not too over the top. I also truly enjoyed the cinematography. I think it squandered a lot of potential from the first season to create strife and that left a bad taste in my mouth. On the whole I'd still say it's worth the watch though. Really interesting show regardless

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't even realize that. I only watched two seasons. I just felt like some of the turns of character (the bosses son comes to mind, as well as the main protagonist from season one becoming a huge heel) didn't feel earned. At times it's beautiful, and the acting was great when not too over the top. I also truly enjoyed the cinematography. I think it squandered a lot of potential from the first season to create strife and that left a bad taste in my mouth. On the whole I'd still say it's worth the watch though. Really interesting show regardless
The third season has aired in Europe, and was great, IMO. Fourth is still coming.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
The third season has aired in Europe, and was great, IMO. Fourth is still coming.
I'll revisit it. Honestly I don't even recall the end of season two. I remember dying to watch it in the states before Netflix picked it up as I was a huge fan of the movie. Sort of off topic but is subarbia (however they spell it) any good? I was worried it was just going to be a cheap imitation

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll revisit it. Honestly I don't even recall the end of season two. I remember dying to watch it in the states before Netflix picked it up as I was a huge fan of the movie. Sort of off topic but is subarbia (however they spell it) any good? I was worried it was just going to be a cheap imitation
Suburra the film is great, the series is mediocre IMO.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NBC orders "Law & Order: Hate Crimes". This isn't a joke.
Co-created with former "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" showrunner Warren Leight, the latest installment of the enduring "Law & Order" franchise is based on New York's actual Hate Crimes Task Force, the second oldest bias-based task force in the U.S. The unit, which pledges to uphold a zero tolerance policy against discrimination of any kind, works under the NYPD's real Special Victims Unit and often borrows SVU's detectives to assist in their investigations. The first incarnation of this new unit will be introduced in the latter part of the upcoming 20th season of "SVU."

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
SVU has a habit of making those advocating for hate crime charges come off as opportunists who don't actually have any relation to the victims.

I don't think this is going to go well.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Law and Order: Thought Crimes
Law and Order: Crimes of Grindelwald
Law and Order: Fashion Crimes

Status
Not open for further replies.