• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
PzXLg7z.gif

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh great another Netflix hater as a mod >_>

speaking of Netflix, some sort of french horror series, not a bad trailer tbh, if very by-the-books

Last edited:

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
'Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance' on Netflix is getting great reviews, while the reception for Amazon's 'Carnival Row' has been very mixed, to the surprise of no one in this thread.

I'm surprised that it managed to even do as well as that critically speaking. Orlando Bloom is the worst example of a modern 'leading man' I've ever seen, utterly forgettable, and charisma free in every way, and I seriously doubt that he's able to anchor a series like this against a similarly wooden co-lead like Cara D.

Then again The Boys turned out to be a revelation (albeit two eps in) so maybe Amazon can get lucky twice and actually get a hit series out of this too.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando Bloom is the worst example of a modern 'leading man' I've ever seen, utterly forgettable, and charisma free in every way, and I seriously doubt that he's able to anchor a series like this against a similarly wooden co-lead like Cara D.

Someone didn't watch Valerian (and I don't mean because of Cara, although she was fairly bland in it herself).

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that it managed to even do as well as that critically speaking. Orlando Bloom is the worst example of a modern 'leading man' I've ever seen, utterly forgettable, and charisma free in every way, and I seriously doubt that he's able to anchor a series like this against a similarly wooden co-lead like Cara D.

Then again The Boys turned out to be a revelation (albeit two eps in) so maybe Amazon can get lucky twice and actually get a hit series out of this too.
From what I saw, this is the best I've ever seen Cara do in a role, at least. She actually exudes some charisma.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to this HBO Max is going to be targeting younger and female viewers with their originals:

It makes sense since they can draw from HBO, Cinemax and DC Universe, all of which probably lean to the male side.
P R E M I U M F E M A L E S
That may be their target, but it's definitely not an exclusive direction they're going. In general they're looking for anything and everything at the moment, similar to Netflix.

Oct 27, 2017
That may be their target, but it's definitely not an exclusive direction they're going. In general they're looking for anything and everything at the moment, similar to Netflix.

I took the story more to mean they are leaning that way with their originals to even out their overall slate, not that they are aiming to be a female focused service.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
The 2019 MTV Video Music Awards ratings are in! Compared with last year, the simulcast across all of the Viacom-owned cable networks was flat compared to last year (with a total of 2.7 milltion viewers over 18 years old), but online streaming was up a lot:

MTV's Video Music Awards came in flat with the all-time-low 2018 edition in terms of total viewers, according to Nielsen, but digital and social viewing showed marked improvement over last year. Moving from last year's Radio City Music Hall base in New York to Newark, NJ's Prudential Center, the show featured standout performances by Taylor Swift, Missy Elliott, Lizzo, and others, and minimal controversy. Airing three consecutive times Monday across 12 Viacom networks (two more than last year's), the 36th annual edition of the original MTV creation drew 2.7 million total adult viewers, according to Nielsen fast nationals.

In the 25-54 demo, viewing ticked up 6%. Viacom insiders attributed the growth to older-skewing elements in the show like host Sebastian Maniscalco, Vanguard Award honoree Missy Elliott and a show-ending salute to Queen Latifah, Naughty By Nature, and Wyclef. Among viewers 18 to 49, viewing dipped 6%, reflecting the ongoing battle of traditional cable programmers to lure younger viewers. The drop also was a bit better than that experienced by awards shows like the Billboard Music Awards or the ACAs. In 2018, the overall VMA ratings picture fell to an all-time low, and while the day-after numbers this year didn't completely stop the bleeding they offered a few more hopeful signs. The Jersey outing registered a 129% increase in social engagement heading into the show, according to Conviva Social Insights and data from Facebook and YouTube. During the three-hour show, social and online video views rose 85% to 269 million, the most of any Viacom awards show.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
confused by this insofar as I thought it started filming months ago

Few explanations (having no knowledge of this series' production):

Season isn't done shooting and she's playing a character only in a later episode or episodes.
Reshoots, adding her character.
It happened a while ago and her publicist is just trying to get her name out there. (Hell, that is probably the case even in the event of the first two explanations).

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

As we reported earlier today, Saturday Night Live standout Leslie Jones is leaving NBC's late-night sketch comedy program after five seasons to pursue a slew of film and TV projects. Deadline can reveal that one of these projects is Supermarket Sweep, a reboot of the classic TV game show that Jones will be hosting and executive producing. I hear the revival, from Fremantle, has been generating a lot of interest, with multiple networks bidding on it, both traditional broadcasters and streamers. I hear the list includes ABC, NBC, Fox and Netflix.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting, when did Netflix start putting "ITS OFFICIAL ANOTHER SEASON COMING" underneath the shows titles? I mean that's a neat feature, just caught me by surprise. Well at least now I know Russian Doll is having a season 2 which I did not know :D

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, when did Netflix start putting "ITS OFFICIAL ANOTHER SEASON COMING" underneath the shows titles? I mean that's a neat feature, just caught me by surprise. Well at least now I know Russian Doll is having a season 2 which I did not know :D

Late last year/early this year. The first time I noticed it was with Lucifer but they've been doing it with all the shows that get renewed lately.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
More details and casting on The Third Day
Naomie Harris (Moonlight) is set as a lead, joining Jude Law in HBO and Sky drama The Third Day, produced by Sky Studios and Brad Pitt's Plan B Entertainment. Additionally BAFTA Award-winning director Philippa Lowthorpe will direct three episodes of the series, joining previously announced director Marc Munden.

Created by Felix Barrett and Dennis Kelly (Utopia, Pulling), The Third Day is a story told over six episodes and in two distinct halves. The first – Summer, directed by Munden, sees Sam (Law), a man drawn to a mysterious island off the British coast where he encounters a group of islanders set on preserving their traditions at any cost.

The second – Winter, directed by Lowthorpe, follows Helen (Harris), a strong-willed outsider who comes to the island seeking answers, but whose arrival precipitates a fractious battle to decide its fate.

The Third Day is a co-production between HBO and Sky. It is the first original drama to be produced by Sky's new production house, Sky Studios, in partnership with Plan B Entertainment, Punchdrunk International and writer Kelly (Utopia, Pulling).

"Filming for The Third Day has begun and it's been a remarkable experience seeing our shared vision come to life," said Barrett. "We've followed both Naomie's and Philippa's careers for several years, and we are thrilled they will be joining the production."
Everything's coming up berzeli today.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, HBO's programming for the next couple years is going to be great (Except, possibly, The Nevers, which I'm really not sure about). I wonder how things are going to change after this slate of shows though with MAX in the mix now.

Status
Not open for further replies.