• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
loiKYfX.png

Strap yourself in and get real comfortable, everything old is new again. So if the networks are bringing back mediocre shows, we're bringing back mediocre Firefly jokes.

What's this thread and why should I care?
This thread is home to cancellation news, news about pilots/shows being developed, and general industry news.

Shows are bound to get cancelled, it's just how it works. In order for new, exciting shows to get made, existing ones have to be cancelled (even the ones you like!) - after all, linear networks only have so many spots on their schedule and Netflix/Apple/Amazon don't have infinite money (yet).

So it's nice to know if the show you're following is headed for cancellation, right? See what kinda level of investment you should be...investing... in it, so there's no crushing disappointment at the end of the season (... even though there are always those kinds of breakdowns). Well, this is the place to find out!

Want to discuss the show you're currently watching, or check out recent trailers take a look at:

TV in September 2019 - What are you watching?

Renewal/Cancellation scorecards for 2018-19 season:
TVLine: Cable
TVLine: Streaming
TVLine: Broadcast
Metacritic (all three)

Ratings resources:
Showbuzzdaily, because TV by the numbers is the worst

dcVhhpg.png

ABC:
Alex Inc.: cancelled
The Crossing: cancelled
Deception: cancelled
Designated Survivor: cancelled
Kevin (Probably) Saves the World: cancelled
Marvel's Inhumans: cancelled
The Mayor: cancelled
The Middle: cancelled
Once Upon a Time: cancelled
Quantico: cancelled
Roseanne revival: renewed, then cancelled because bigot did bigot things, now a new show without the bigot
Scandal: cancelled
Ten Days in the Valley: cancelled
The Toy Box: cancelled

CBS:
9JKL: cancelled
The Big Bang Theory: cancelled, upcoming 12th season to be last
Code Black: cancelled
Kevin Can Wait: cancelled
Living Biblically: cancelled
Me, Myself & I: cancelled
Scorpion: cancelled
Superior Donuts:cancelled
Wisdom of the Crowd: cancelled
Zoo: cancelled, remember to sign the petition!

Fox:
Brooklyn Nine-Nine: cancelled, renewed by NBC
The Exorcist: cancelled
Ghosted: cancelled
Gotham: renewed for final season
LA to Vegas: cancelled
Lucifer: cancelled, renewed by Netflix
The Mick: cancelled
New Girl: cancelled; final season underway
Shots Fired: cancelled
The X-Files: effectively cancelled, no Scully no show

NBC:
Better Late Than Never: cancelled
The Brave: cancelled
Champions: cancelled
Great News: cancelled
Law & Order: True Crime: no current plans for future seasons
The Night Shift: cancelled
Rise: cancelled
Timeless: cancelled (again), revived using some occulut magic for a two hour wrap up movie
Shades of Blue: cancelled, final season currently airing
Taken: cancelled
Trial & Error: cancelled because you absolute monsters didn't support Kristin Chenoweth

CW:
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: renewed for final season
iZombie: renewed for final season
Jane the Virgin: renewed for final season
Life Sentence: cancelled
The Originals: cancelled; final season currently airing
Valor: cancelled

BET
Being Mary Jane: cancelled; two-hour wrap-up movie to air in 2018

Bravo
Imposters: cancelled

E!
The Arrangement: cancelled
The Royals: cancelled

Freeform
Beyond: cancelled
Famous in Love: cancelled
Shadowhunters: cancelled
Young & Hungry: cancelled, wrap-up movie also cancelled

HBO
Here and Now: cancelled

History
SIX: cancelled

Pramount Network:
Heathers: cancelled before it even aired.

Sundance TV
Hap and Leonard: cancelled

Syfy:
The Expanse: cancelled, revived by Amazon

TNT:
The Librarians: cancelled

TV Land
Nobodies: cancelled

USA Network
Colony: cancelled
Shooter: cancelled

Amazon:
The Dangerous Book for Boys: cancelled
Transparent: Renewed for (final) Season 5

Netflix:
Gypsy
Easy: renewed for (final) Season 3
Flaked: cancelled even if they haven't made it official yet
House of Cards: super cancelled with Spacey less final season coming soon
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events: renewed for final Season 3
Seven Seconds: cancelled
The Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale: cancelled
The Break with Michelle Wolf: cancelled

We also said goodbye to the following OTTs:
Seeso
Fullscreen
Go90
... no I'm not making these up.

Who knows, maybe this is the year Firefly gets re- sorry I can't even finish the sentence.

2017-2018 thread

Last edited:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't want to be the first reply.... But I just wanted to say that I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S ALREADY A NEW YEAR

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
How will the CW fill this Jane the Virgin, iZombie, and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend hole? :(

I think it's good that those shows are ending now... but they're really the only things I care about on the CW post Riverdale S1.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I hear the collective morale among the broadcast networks for their fall line-ups is at an all time low this year. Here comes broadcast the networks with all the remakes, reboots and This is Us knock-offs you can handle.

Could this be the year that a 0.5 in the demo and 3 million viewers becomes the new normal for broadcast TV's success threshold?

Will anyone watch the CW on a Sunday night? Does it matter given that it's really just more real estate for WB and CBS to air shows that they can sell internationally.

What happens to CBS if/when Les Moonvest, the man with the golden (or should that be grey) touch, gets booted off his corporate perch with his golden parachute?

It's going to be a fascinating year.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I hear the collective morale among the broadcast networks for their fall line-ups is at an all time low this year. Here comes broadcast networks with all the remakes, reboots and This is Us knock-offs you can handle.

Yeah I can see this as the year no one watches actual TV. This season is almost trash.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017

I missed this one, somehow! Crap, I know its Sundance TV and the whole channel's kind of low-viewership and budget may have had something to do with it, but this show as just too frickin' good. The only one I'm really crestfallen about of the things that were cancelled this year. :\

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Yeah I can see this as the year no one watches actual TV. This season is almost trash.

I don't know the actual metrics used to measure it (whether it's focus groups, polls, social media likes etc) but apparently everyone was bracing themselves for the usual year on year decrease in broadcast ratings/interest but this year, in the run up to this new season, it just fell off a cliff.

We'll find out soon enough.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
and now for the bit of news that made me finally get this thread done:

'The Witchlands' To Be Developed As Live-Action Series By Jim Henson Company
The Jim Henson Company has optioned Susan Dennard's bestselling The Witchlands books to develop as a live-action television series. The announcement was made today during a Dragon Con panel led by Dennard and Halle Stanford, President of Television for The Jim Henson Company.

The potential series is set in a world where three empires rule and every member of the population is born with a magical skill set, known as a "witchery". Now, as the Twenty- Year Truce in a centuries-long war is about to come to an end, the balance of power will fall on the shoulders of two young women Safiya and Iseult, who must accept their fate, and themselves, to survive.

The important bit is this though:
The Emmy Award-winning Jim Henson's Creature Shop will create the creature characters for the series.

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was the show that got cancelled but a network or netflix secretly revived?

I am hoping its the Mick

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

I missed this one, somehow! Crap, I know its Sundance TV and the whole channel's kind of low-viewership and budget may have had something to do with it, but this show as just too frickin' good. The only one I'm really crestfallen about of the things that were cancelled this year. :\
Sorry to be the one who broke it to you!
And yeah it sucks, such an immensely watchable show.
Where is the Zoo petition at?!
Did you really think I would make a thread without it? Just look in the very teeny tiny list of cancellations
@that poster

We really don't
We do though.

Nov 1, 2017
CBS doesn't have anything that looks quite as atrocious as Wisdom of the Crowd or 9JKL this year but their slate still looks pretty dire...

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Adventure Time - Cancelled as of today.

..which I completely missed. Man I hate CN scheduling.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
I say this every year, but the new shows launching this Fall look absolutely dreadful. The Cool Kids, Rel, The Neighborhood, yeesh...

I think CBS will be the only network to successfully launch a new series this Fall. I expect FBI and Magnum PI to perform well, potentially God Friended Me as well.

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I say this every year, but the new shows launching this Fall look absolutely dreadful. The Cool Kids, Rel, The Neighborhood, yeesh...

I think CBS will be the only network to successfully launch a new series this Fall. I expect FBI and Magnum PI to perform well, potentially God Friended Me as well.
god friended me actually looks somewhat watchable/ I would watch that on netflix. But the cedric show with the dude from New Girl looks fucking awful

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charmed definitely seems iffy from what they've shown. I wouldn't discount it just yet since it's a CW show, but who knows.
I mean these Sunday CW shows are gonna go up against Sunday night football and the walking dead for most of their run. Yea they are gonna do worse rating wise than friday shows. I know CW doesnt care about ratings but somethings gotta matter

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Adventure Time - Cancelled as of today.

..which I completely missed. Man I hate CN scheduling.
Well we kinda knew it as cancelled cause the series finale airs tomorrow and has been mentioned more in the time leading up to tomorrow. But yeah, their scheduling does suck a lot. Especially with this final season. I guess it might be a little better than how Regular Show seemed to get unceremoniously burned off to finish

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
I mean these Sunday CW shows are gonna go up against Sunday night football and the walking dead for most of their run. Yea they are gonna do worse rating wise than friday shows. I know CW doesnt care about ratings but somethings gotta matter

Charmed will have to fight for ratings that's for sure. Of course, it'll depend if the show is even a half decent and all that.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
There were way too many saved shows last season. Hopefully that changes this year, though I doubt it will.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love this thread and all of the news that is posted. Looking forward to all of the network trash that gets cancelled within a month of airing.

Status
Not open for further replies.