• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
No surprise about Santa Clarita Diet given the recent articles about Netflix's m.o. with regard to its original shows.

I'd gladly watch more of it, but it's nice for a show to end and leave me wanting more instead of dragging on like way to much stuff does now.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Santa Clarita Diet cancelled... that's so disappointing. Ended on a pretty big cliffhanger too... just finished binging the series recently.
It was literally the next show I was going to start this weekend. If it's ending on a cliffhanger then I'm pushing it down my list and will start something else instead

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
If I had a show on Netflix (lol) I would never leave any of my seasons on a cliffhanger. I would always make sure to have some sense of finality or at least of having wrapped things up, especially given how Netflix keeps viewer metrics to themselves even behind the scenes and you can literally never know when your show is going to be cancelled.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
It was literally the next show I was going to start this weekend. If it's ending on a cliffhanger then I'm pushing it down my list and will start something else instead

The cliffhanger isn't too too major - just a fun set up for the next season but it also works fairly well as a series ending moment, if you're okay with a series closing in an open ended way.

At any rate, it's one of Netflix's best shows so don't skip out on it!

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
The cliffhanger isn't too too major - just a fun set up for the next season but it also works fairly well as a series ending moment, if you're okay with a series closing in an open ended way.

At any rate, it's one of Netflix's best shows so don't skip out on it!
Yeah, the cliffhanger actually makes a pretty damn good ending.

Okay, this sounds a lot better than I was imagining how it would play out. My thought was that it was major unresolved plot point that wouldn't be satisfying.

Santa Clarita Diet followed by Claws and then after that I'll probably be doing The Expanse

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, ending on cliffhangers is just spiting the audience at this point.

I'm getting started on Person of Interest today. Let's see if I can get past the 1st season to get to the good stuff.
Honestly I still think the seasons before Root are actually better. It had a good mix of serialized and episodic that was lost when it became yet another attempt at being "prestige tv" later on.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
If I had a show on Netflix (lol) I would never leave any of my seasons on a cliffhanger. I would always make sure to have some sense of finality or at least of having wrapped things up, especially given how Netflix keeps viewer metrics to themselves even behind the scenes and you can literally never know when your show is going to be cancelled.

Yep. It boggles my mind how sometimes even when ratings are clearly bad, writers will hedge their bets and end on a cliffhanger anyway in an effort to secure a renewal. In rare cases it works out (Timeless) but as a rule, yeah, really stupid and super shitty for fans.

Santa Clarita Diet followed by Claws

CLAWS

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
With the 3 Season thing being a factor at Netflix, I wonder how I should feel about the upcoming third seasons of Dear White People and GLOW. I don't think either are major ratings players, but the awards might give GLOW more leeway.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
With the 3 Season thing being a factor at Netflix, I wonder how I should feel about the upcoming third seasons of Dear White People and GLOW. I don't think either are major ratings players, but the awards might give GLOW more leeway.

GLOW doesn't really win awards, but Jenji Kohan has an overall deal with Netflix and her association with the series may have been one of the major factors in Netflix renewing it for a second season after season one disappointed execs.

Last year, executives from the tech and content teams hotly debated whether to renew "GLOW," a show about professional women wrestlers in the 1980s whose co-executive producer is Jenji Kohan, creator of "Orange Is The New Black," a flagship Netflix show. The tech side argued the show should be canceled because of lackluster viewership, people familiar with the situation said. The Hollywood side felt it was worth continuing the show, given the importance of Ms. Kohan to Netflix and the critical acclaim GLOW had received.

"There were serious conversations from the tech side pressuring the Hollywood side not to renew it for a second season," said one participant in a heated discussion over the show. GLOW ultimately survived.

Source

It seems like the tech side is winning out lately though, so I personally wouldn't expect either Dear White People or GLOW to make it to season 4.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
GLOW doesn't really win awards, but Jenji Kohan has an overall deal with Netflix and her association with the series may have been one of the major factors in Netflix renewing it for a second season after season one disappointed execs.

It seems like the tech side is winning out lately though, so I personally wouldn't expect either Dear White People or GLOW to make it to season 4.

They did win a SAG award for stunt ensemble at least :(
Plus the Emmy nominations that GLOW gets, if not wins.

I do hope the audience can grow for both shows, although I'm not sure how likely that is.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Urghhh...fuck Netflix. They give additional --- unneeded even, episodes to successful shows yet they can't even spare some dough for the niche shows to have a 1 episode resolution.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
The cancellation of Marlon on NBC late last year (during Christmas week no less) still stings. It was a comfy sitcom starring Marlon Wayans, Essence Atkins to name a few. On paper it's the blandest sitcom ever but the acting was so damn great it just worked. The cast had this electric chemistry. Worth watching if you want a solid sitcom, only 20 episodes.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif
tenor.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Netflix cancellations are the worst. I always go "Oh well maybe Netflix will pick it up and sav... oh wait shit"

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Netflix is fast approaching SyFy levels of "I'm not going to invest time into watching these shows that'll just get cancelled before their natural end."

What's the point of investing the time in shows that never get a conclusion?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Be interested to hear what Netflix has to say at their next investor conference call on what metrics they are using to tighten up their shows, whether its pure audience/sub metrics or if costs are starting to play a big part. Do they have a pretty good idea now on what kind of things a new show needs to hit the ground running well? By now they will have absolutely insane data on cast, content type, episode lengths, number of episodes, laughs/surprises/etc per episode, thumbnails, how long someone will stick with something before drifting away, etc.

Many of the newer netflix shows I have zero interest in, I do enjoy Altered Carbon but was kinda surprised it got a renewal given how expensive it must be. Wonder how things like Lucifer, Altered Carbon, Lost in Space will fare. Are those shows doing better than their newer stuff like Russian Doll?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They've released like 20+ brand new shows so far this year alone. And for next month you can add stuff like The Society, What/If, When They See Us, Dead To Me, Tuca & Bertie and a new season of Lucifer which they saved from cancellation.
I mean their movies, shows, and docus. You use to get surprised by finding something while searching Netflix, now it's lean

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix is fast approaching SyFy levels of "I'm not going to invest time into watching these shows that'll just get cancelled before their natural end."

What's the point of investing the time in shows that never get a conclusion?
Watching a good show is the point. People who refuse to watch shows without a proper ending are insufferable.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Do you also only read half of a book? If they never bother to finish a show, then there is no reason to start.
The Mystery of Edwin Drood (Charles Dickens)
Answered Prayers (Truman Capote)
The Mysterious Stranger (Mark Twain)
and more by Kafka, and just a whole lot more says hi.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Watching a good show is the point. People who refuse to watch shows without a proper ending are insufferable.
There is no lack of good shows. It is not a case of not watching anything. It is a case of watching something worthwhile. I can only spend my time once, might as well go for something else if a network is consistently showing not to finish their shows or cancel them before they get a chance to end on a good conclusion. Netflix in particular leaves their show runners hanging until after the fact due to their model.

Unfinished stories are inferior to finished stories. No matter how decent the unfinished story is.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
btw, Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol is a fairly noted unfinished work. So that might explain why dead souls feel so strongly about this

There is no lack of good shows. It is not a case of not watching anything. It is a case of watching something worthwhile. I can only spend my time once, might as well go for something else if a network is consistently showing not to finish their shows or cancel them before they get a chance to end on a good conclusion. Netflix in particular leaves their show runners hanging until after the fact due to their model.

Unfinished stories are inferior to finished stories. No matter how decent the unfinished story is.
Good stories are good stories whether or not they are finished they way creators intended to.

There are plenty of shows that got cancelled that are way more worthwhile than finished mediocrity so blanket refusal to watch anything that doesn't have a perfect ending is myopic.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Good stories are good stories whether or not they are finished they way creators intended to.

There are plenty of shows that got cancelled that are way more worthwhile than finished mediocrity so blanket refusal to watch anything that doesn't have a perfect ending is myopic.
Those outliers can always be watched after the fact, shows don't disappear. Meanwhile, I can perhaps spend my 14 Euro elsewhere.

And yes, good completed stories are still superior to good uncompleted stories, and I am not budging on that.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Sure, Netflix is cancelling a bunch of new stuff, but hey, they gave us that old Friends show for a year or two.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Series of books are a thing, you know. In those cases, one book can be seen as one season if comparing to TV. And there are plenty of book series that are very popular yet unfinished.
I know, and if I always feel stupid when I start one in the belief that the author will ever finish it. Especially if there is no chance anymore it will get finished, it will not be high on my priority list. Like I would never start The Lord of the Rings if the Return of the King hadn't been written.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has Deadly Class been renewed? IT ended on a pretty big cliffhanger.
Not yet. I've heard that Sony was happy with how it did, but Syfy is being iffy... basically Syfy is waiting to see if they are moving ahead on something else, and if they don't they will give the renewal to Deadly Class. So, 50/50. I suspect we should hear within the next few weeks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.