• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It's the finale. I'm sure everyone invested in the series will catch it (no spoilers...) and it's not like anyone else will be starting. It is a shame this season was held back for months though. I hope it keeps going, and preferably with new faces. There's been too much re-use of known faces in recent years.
My problem is that the format is just tired because they had to control what the contestants can do in terms of travel plans. I guess it becomes "fairer", but it just becomes a bad travelogue (since they don't actually spend any time at any location) with the same types of physical tasks over and over again.

They make it feel like there's drama in getting to an aiport first, but I don't think it has really mattered in several seasons if not longer.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Wednesday night's ratings. Looks like the Democratic debate did well. There will be updates with that later today since cable needs to upload their ratings too:

Fast-Demo-2019-Jun-26.WED_.png

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Exact plot details on the prospective series, beyond the source material, are being kept under wraps, however, word is it will tell "an original story set in the fantastic world of Eorzea," a continuously growing world first introduced in "Final Fantasy XIV," which incorporates characters from across the franchise's long history.

The series will "explore the struggle between magic and technology in a quest to bring peace to a land in conflict," and feature a blend of new and familiar faces like fan-favorite anti-hero Cid. Features and creatures from the game series, such as magitek, beastmen, airships and chocobos, will all also play a part in the TV adaptation.
This live-action version will be produced by Sony Pictures Television, Square Enix, and Jason F. Brown, Sean Daniel, and Dinesh Shamdasani for Hivemind. Ben Lustig and Jake Thornton will write for the series and serve as executive producers.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
USA Network Orders 'Masters Of Doom' Pilot Produced By James & Dave Franco
USA Network has given a pilot order to Masters of Doom, a drama based on David Kushner's nonfiction book, from James and Dave Franco's Ramona Films, The Gotham Group and UCP. Masters of Doom is being eyed as an anthology series, with the first installment based on Kushner's book, published by Random House in 2003.

Written and executive produced by WGA Award winner Tom Bissell (Gears of War), Masters of Doom is the true story of two computer geniuses in an obscure corner of America who, along with a group of rebellious misfits, created one of the biggest franchise hits of the 90s, the video game Doom. John Carmack and John Romero were best friends who became bitter rivals, as they created a video game empire and transformed pop culture forever.

Ellen Goldsmith-Vein, Eric Robinson and Jeremy Bell executive produce via The Gotham Group, along with James Franco, Dave Franco, Vince Jolivette and Elizabeth Haggard of Ramona Films, and Kushner. D.J. Goldberg of The Gotham Group will serve as co-executive producer. UCP is the studio.

Masters of Doom falls into USA's wheelhouse of "heroes, rebels & icons" as the network focuses on big stories about big American characters. Masters of Doom kicks off USA's 2019 pilot cycle.

Bissell is a writer on the Gears of War, Battlefield, and Uncharted video game franchises and author of nine books, including Extra Lives: Why Video Games Matter. He also co-authored the bestseller The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made. His short fiction has also been anthologized in multiple editions of the Best American Short Stories series.

Kushner, a contributing editor of Rolling Stone, is the author of six books, including his latest, The Players Ball.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
My problem is that the format is just tired because they had to control what the contestants can do in terms of travel plans. I guess it becomes "fairer", but it just becomes a bad travelogue (since they don't actually spend any time at any location) with the same types of physical tasks over and over again.

They make it feel like there's drama in getting to an aiport first, but I don't think it has really mattered in several seasons if not longer.
Yeah we often remark about how a team's reward for leaving in first place is often 3 or 4 hours less sleep than the last positioned team, since it ends up being a reset anyway. There can still be good drama though, like when Team Fun queue-jumped ahead of the Big Brother engaged couple. And obviously the way the show is edited to make it seem like the final couple of teams are closer than they really are is understandable. Overall, we enjoy it. There was a similar type of show in the UK last year, similar in terms of "teams and travel", the show is doing its own thing,I forget the name of it and I haven't heard of it being available for US viewers.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we often remark about how a team's reward for leaving in first place is often 3 or 4 hours less sleep than the last positioned team, since it ends up being a reset anyway. There can still be good drama though, like when Team Fun queue-jumped ahead of the Big Brother engaged couple. And obviously the way the show is edited to make it seem like the final couple of teams are closer than they really are is understandable. Overall, we enjoy it. There was a similar type of show in the UK last year, similar in terms of "teams and travel", the show is doing its own thing,I forget the name of it and I haven't heard of it being available for US viewers.
Yeah I had talked about it but forgot what it was called. lol
It was definitely more exciting because there was no route or set tasks (well, fixers clearly set up things for them in several cities that they MIGHT have ended up in), but I can imagine it being a tremendous pain to organize - particularly if things like the old TAR rules of camera crews rotating between each leg to prevent biases/friendships from developing are true.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Michael Chabon is now the showrunner of "Star Trek: Picard."

Chabon, who had been part of the core creative team on the series, is working closely on the day-to-day production with fellow executive producers, veteran Star Trekwriter/producer Akiva Goldsman, and Alex Kurtzman, who continues to oversee the expansion of the growing Star Trek universe for CBS TV Studios.
Chabon is the bestselling and Pulitzer Prize-winning author of the novels The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, Moonglow, Wonder Boys and The Yiddish Policeman's Union, among others. His screenplays and teleplays include John Carter, Spiderman 2, Unbelievable– which he wrote with his writing partner and wife, Ayelet Waldman – as well as the Star Trek: Short Treks episode "Calypso." In addition to the Pulitzer Prize, Chabon has won the Hugo, Nebula, Mythopoeic, Sidewise and Ignotus awards (Spain's Hugo Award) and many others.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Lena Headey To Star In & Executive Produce Dramedy Pilot 'Rita' Based On Danish Series At Showtime
Showtime has given a pilot order to hour-long dramedy Rita, based on Christian Torpe's award-winning Danish series, with Emmy nominee Lena Headey (Game of Thrones) set to star and executive produce. Torpe will pen the pilot and serve as showrunner. Rita is a co-production of Showtime and Platform One Media.

In Rita, Headey will play the title character, a headstrong, unconventional teacher and single mother who takes on every kind of authority – as well as her family – in a messy and unfiltered way. Mille Denesen plays Rita in the Danish series.

Rita premiered in February 2012 on TV2 and has run for four seasons in Denmark and internationally on Netflix which was also a co-producer on the third and fourth season.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'Snowpiercer' Cast And Showrunner Board Train To Comic-Con
TBS is bringing the TV adaptation of Bong Joon Ho's 2013 post-apocalyptic sci-fi feature Snowpiercer to Comic-Con. Show stars Jennifer Connelly, Daveed Diggs, Alison Wright, Mickey Sumner, Lena Hall, Steven Ogg and executive producer and showrunner Graeme Manson will take the stage at the Indigo Ballroom in San Diego on July 20. Executive producers Marty Adelstein and Becky Clements of Tomorrow Studios will also be in attendance. The panel will include an exclusive first look at the series which is set to premiere in the Spring of 2020
The whole Snowpiercer saga is oddly fascinating to me. Showrunner change, massive delays, not airing until 2020, already renewed for S2, and they're showing up to Comic-Con about a year before it'll air. Strange stuff - odds are it fails miserably but at least the development process has been interesting.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
any word on dates for:

Search Party
Homeland
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Robot Chicken
The Guest Book
Mr. Robot
Fargo

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Final ratings for last night's Democratic Debate (Night 1) 2020:

Deadline:
When NBC, MSNBC, and Telemundo are all added up, Nielsen has the showdown last night pulling in 15.3 million viewers.

As we detailed earlier today and now have further confirmed, the total viewing numbers for last night's warm-up debate of sorts are far behind the audience of 24 million that the first GOP debate pulled in in August 2015 on Fox News. Last night is also down 4.3% from what the five-0person first Democratic debate snagged in October 2015 on CNN.

In a look at the reality of small screen viewing in 2019, Night 1's live stream saw more than 9 million viewers and 14 million video views across all platforms. Those services included the heft of NBCNews.com, MSNBC.com, Telemundo.com, NBC News NOW on OTT devices, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

TV Line:
With viewership via MSNBC and Telemundo now folded in, the grand total is 15.3 million — just shy of the 2016 election's first Democratic debate, which featured featuring Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, Martin O'Malley, Jim Webb and Lincoln Chafee, and amassed 15.8 million. But you can add onto this year's total more than 9 million viewers who live streamed the debate.

So, all in all, it was a good viewer turnout, but I'm guessing that even more people will be watching tonight's Democratic Debate (Night 2) 2020, since the candidates on there are currently polling more than nearly everyone who appeared last night.

Last edited:

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
As part of switching to a deficit model with a basic cable network, Sony TV retained syndication, downstream digital and international rights to the upcoming Season 4. The studio also has linear rights to the first three seasons and is expected to shop the four seasons in broadcast syndication.

Sooo, it turns out that you can just go to POPTV.com and watch episodes on there. You can even watch the latest season of "Schitt's Creek" on there right now and don't need to sign up.
So, maybe we'll just be able to watch new episodes of "One Day at a Time" on their website? I am totally okay with that.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
I've enjoyed all three seasons, hopefully this doesn't affect the quality at all.

So... now cable channels are reviving cult hits that Netflix cancel. Time is a flat circle, how the tables have turned, etc., etc.

Think of all the countless online petitions this news will spawn in the future.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Never heard of Pop but kudos to them for the big dog move. Can't imagine the budget cuts will hurt that much, the show already looked like it was made with pennies.

Netflix are a bunch of clowns.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Pop sounds vaguely familiar. Like I have passed it on the way to another channel on a rare occasion of scrolling through. This is still on my list of shows to watch so its nice that it has been revived.

On a side note for the show I'm currently watching, I'm really enjoying Curb Your Enthusiasm

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Lots of network sitcoms will leave Netflix in 2020 but they aren't interested in replace them. Most of Netflix comedy are mature and edgy, I'm sad if there no other silly little thing like Kimmy Smith on Netflix again.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
They won't, it will now be a 2 season show instead of 3. Why would Netflix agree to this? They are clearly not attached to most of their shows and have no problem dumping them and this doesn't seem to be outstanding, it's certainly no 13 Reasons Why.

I'm more optimistic they can reach an agreement. They already greenlit a 3rd season, and I don't see them walking it back entirely, unless things really turn sour. On My Block is a sneaky good performer for Netlix, was most binged new series for 2018

and the stars have big social media followings. The 2nd season of the show was also more critically positive than 13 Reasons Why Season 2 (not that it might mean much).

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
If you watch Big Brother (US), you'll have heard of Pop because it's been airing the live feeds After Dark for a few years now and Julie Chen mentions it every live episode.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Netflix regrets releasing their (vague and not that helpful overall) viewership information now that actors from non-zeitgeisty shows are asking for salary bumps...

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more optimistic they can reach an agreement. They already greenlit a 3rd season, and I don't see them walking it back entirely, unless things really turn sour. On My Block is a sneaky good performer for Netlix, was most binged new series for 2018
Most binged just means most amount of content watched in one sitting, it doesn't say how many people watched and that would be the more relevant information.

Status
Not open for further replies.