• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
It would be pretty weird if they split it up. Lucifer season 3 was absurdly long. Something like 26 episodes. That show tends to draw its arcs out over a pretty long stretch of time.
Netflix has split up their seasons before, mostly with comedies like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Arrested Development. But I think they're (hopefully) done doing that now. It was really annoying.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix has split up their seasons before, mostly with comedies like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Arrested Development. But I think they're (hopefully) done doing that now. It was really annoying.

Yeah. They do it a lot, but I just don't see it functioning narratively for a show like Lucifer. Season 4 being so short already makes the show feel kind of weird.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Netflix already learned split seasons just leads to people waiting, it's better to just go with calling it separate seasons (as much as contracts allow). Feels like it killed AD.

With Queer Eye they filmed S1+2 and S3+4 back to back, they're essentially split seasons, but not named as such. Like they'd already finished filming S4 before the show was "officially" renewed for it, and dropped it a month after the renewal. I'd be surprised if S5+6 weren't done together, even though 6 has never been confirmed.

They seem to be trying to figure out the balancing act between episode count and how time between releases. Too close together and people wait, too far and people lose interest.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I hope it turns out okay but there is poor recent history of US versions of UK shows. For every The Office there's those awful pilots for American versions of IT crowd and Red Dwarf and others we thankfully never see. Douglas Adams' sense of humor was very unique and most of the hitch-hiker's projects since his death have fallen rather flat.

Not to say it can't work. Back in the day, All in the Family, Sanford and Son, Three's Company were based off British Comedies Til Death Do Us Part, Steptoe and Son and Man about the House.

also Episodes is a great take on UK shows being made in the US.

But this isn't a US version of a UK show. This is a series based on books.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Yeah. They do it a lot, but I just don't see it functioning narratively for a show like Lucifer. Season 4 being so short already makes the show feel kind of weird.
That's fair. Netflix is already weird so we'll see what happens.

Netflix already learned split seasons just leads to people waiting, it's better to just go with calling it separate seasons (as much as contracts allow). Feels like it killed AD.
AD killed AD. Let's get that clear. Hurwitz and company just didn't have the chops to make a good revival out of that series.

Anyway, here are Thursday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2019-Jul-25.THU_.png

Oct 25, 2017

With Queer Eye they filmed S1+2 and S3+4 back to back, they're essentially split seasons, but not named as such. Like they'd already finished filming S4 before the show was "officially" renewed for it, and dropped it a month after the renewal. I'd be surprised if S5+6 weren't done together, even though 6 has never been confirmed.

They seem to be trying to figure out the balancing act between episode count and how time between releases. Too close together and people wait, too far and people lose interest.

They actually started doing this with a lot of their kid shows a few years back. A 'season' would come out bi-yearly but only be around 4-6 episodes long. I actually kind of hate it.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Things that killing Netflix for me right now:
-Split-season drops
-Killing off shows I like after two or three seasons tops
-Quantity over quality
-Price compared to competition

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a Cleopatra show in the works? That would have been awesome. I love the Ancient Egyptian aesthetic I would love to see it a lot more.
Yeah, it was described as a revisionist take on the Cleopatra story - "The Godfather in Ancient Egypt". From the creators of Black Sails, too, so it probably would have been incredible.
Extremely bummed this isn't still happening. I'm guessing with the executive turnover at Amazon, the old champions of the program were unfortunately gone.

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
Waàay lttp, but halfway through S1 of Patriot. Why didn't anyone tell me?!? (I kid! I kid!) Deadpan humor done to perfection...

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Things that killing Netflix for me right now:
-Split-season drops
-Killing off shows I like after two or three seasons tops
-Quantity over quality
-Price compared to competition

split season drops are rare for stuff I watch. Lots of quality. My current list:

MST3K
Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee
Orange is the New Black
Dear White People - 8/2
Patriot Act w/Hasan Minhaj - 8/4
GLOW - 8/9
Mindhunter - 8/16
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance - 8/30
Big Mouth
Castlevania
The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
My Next Guest
Ozark
The Haunting of Hill House
Dead to Me
The Umbrella Society
Love Death and Robots
Bill Nye Saves the World
Black Mirror
Sex Education
Dark
Stranger Things
Arrested Development

Worth the $10 a month. I'm ok with shows not going on forever - UK usually does a couple seasons and done. As long as it ends well. I was pissed about Santa Clarita Diet though.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel's Runaways back on Dec 13th of any who are interested.

I thought S1 was better than S2 but will still tune in for a new season
I quite liked Season 1. But I can't say I've started the second season yet, I did like the first episode of it. The premise and that video they released (which totally spoiled the end of S2 for me) made me very intrigued though. Might binge it this weekend.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Thank god for Big Mouth

Oh three more seasons, not season 3 fuck yeeeeeeeeah best news on ages.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Just now seeing that Designated Survivor news. I dont know what they were thinking with that Netflix season. Dont think anyone was expecting them to continue anyway.

Has there been any news regarding Lucifer at Netflix yet?

And on Hulu, I got a free month trial that I used for Veronica Mars. But after finishing the season I cancelled my sub so it wouldnt renew and charge me and they just cut off my month completely lol. Ive never seen anyone do that before, wtf? Maybe I cancelled too soon? I dunno, but when you say free month trial, I expect to get the entire month at least.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Marvel's Runaways back on Dec 13th of any who are interested.

I thought S1 was better than S2 but will still tune in for a new season
I'm actually surprised they renewed it. I figured pretty much every non Disney+ show was good as dead.
That gives me hope for Cloak and Dagger though. We haven't heard if that's getting renewed, right?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised they renewed it. I figured pretty much every non Disney+ show was good as dead.
That gives me hope for Cloak and Dagger though. We haven't heard if that's getting renewed, right?
You'll get more Marvel TV shows, like Ghost Rider, Helstrom and possibly Spirits of Vengeance on Hulu.
They haven't renewed Cloak & Dagger for S3 yet.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Michael Ausiello show being made by Bad Robot landed at HBO Max.

Ausiello is writing the pilot script and will serve as an executive producer alongside Bad Robot's J.J. Abrams and Ben Stephenson should the project move forward. Rachel Rusch Rich will serve as co-executive producer.
The single-camera Drama Queen is set in the 1980s and centers on a closeted, TV-obsessed teenager who copes with the harsh realities — and relative mundaneness — of life in small-town New Jersey by escaping to an alternate soap opera universe of his own creation.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I quite liked Season 1. But I can't say I've started the second season yet, I did like the first episode of it. The premise and that video they released (which totally spoiled the end of S2 for me) made me very intrigued though. Might binge it this weekend.

That's funny, because that's exactly where I am. When S1 came out, I slowly watched through them but with S2, I watched the first ep and then just kinda backlogged it for the time being, when they put all of the eps up at once.

It's one of those "maybe when I catch up with a couple shows I'll get back to it..." Then I remember I still haven't started ANY of the last seasons of Marvel shows on Netflix. Ugh, tv backlog never ends :x

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
The Girlfriend Experience renewed for season 3 (yay!)

Power's final season will be split into two - the first half starting next month and the second half in January.

Outlander season 5 delayed until early 2020.

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Dangerous Liaisons Prequel Ordered at Starz

Originally published in 1782, Dangerous Liaisons tells the story of Marquise de Merteuil and Vicomte de Valmont, two rivals and ex-lovers who use seduction as a tool to manipulate others. Starz's series, however, will serve as a prequel, telling the origin story of Merteuil and Valmont when they meet as passionate young lovers in the slums of 18th century Paris.

The project will be told from Merteuil's perspective and is described as a "thrilling, sexy and provocative" version of the story, adapted "for a 21st century audience." Harriet Warner (The Alienist, Call the Midwife) will write and executive-produce the eight-episode season, and she'll also serve as showrunner. A premiere date has not yet been announced.

I'm unfamiliar with both the novel and the movie, but I am here for more premium period dramas.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Powers is considered good? I thought it was considered the opposite. Is it more like CW hero shows, or what other comic book show is it similar to? All I know about it is that teenagers got powers. [edit] I get this mixed up with Power all the time.

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Power spinoff announced "Power Book 2: Ghost" starring Mary J Blige.

Cool, but that title is awful.

Powers is considered good? I thought it was considered the opposite. Is it more like CW hero shows, or what other comic book show is it similar to? All I know about it is that teenagers got powers.

Powers was a comic book show made for PlayStation Network in 2015-2016.

Power is about drug dealers in NYC and is Starz' biggest show.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.