• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand the "premium female strategy" he's talking about here. Is John Wick meant to align with that? Is American Gods?

Outlander definitely appeals to a female audience more, but it feels strangely limiting (and not in line with their hits, historically) to commit to such a narrow strategy. Bizarre.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

tumblr_plhlib8gBO1uek269o1_r1_400.gif

Too pure for this world... and with too few gifs that aren't NSFW (not that I really mind)

I love corporate speak.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

this sounds a lot like when SyFy decided to drop all its sci fi shows to focus on wrestling and ghost hunting

the network that brought you Spartacus and Black Sails is now chasing a premium female strategy? Uh, ok... but keeping John Wick? What is going on there lol

No hate on Counterpart getting cancelled, I didn't think the show was honestly that good and it was super slow but I wonder how many people are watching The Spanish Princess, The Rook, Vida, American Gods, etc...

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
this sounds a lot like when SyFy decided to drop all its sci fi shows to focus on wrestling and ghost hunting

the network that brought you Spartacus and Black Sails is now chasing a premium female strategy? Uh, ok... but keeping John Wick? What is going on there lol

No hate on Counterpart getting cancelled, I didn't think the show was honestly that good and it was super slow but I wonder how many people are watching The Spanish Princess, The Rook, Vida, American Gods, etc...

Not quite. Starz has always done a mix of grounded and genre. Crash: The Series was their first drama and they aired Boss and Magic City alongside Spartacus.

I think their strategy makes sense for the most part.

Their "female" and "POC" focus started with the huge successes of The White Queen and Power, respectively. They weren't as buzzy as Spartacus (which was never that buzzy to begin with - only a handful of critics really appreciated or even acknowledged it) but they brought in whole new demographics that weren't being served elsewhere in the premium space.

Their "White Queen/White Princess/Spanish Princess" series has been very successful and Outlander has been massive for them as well (both esp. successful with white women). These lavish, female skewing period dramas are one of their cornerstones and they're going to continue to expand in that space with Dangerous Liaisons next year. (their more grounded "white women skewing" shows have been more of a mixed bag - Girlfriend Experience did well, Flesh and Bone bombed hard, Sweetbitter is doing okay, The Rook is...touch and go I'd say. I wouldn't be surprised if they shifted away from these sorts of shows in the future)

Power is their biggest hit, and also does very well with (esp. black) women, so the spinoff with Mary J Blige makes sense, as well as P-Valley, Kin, Black Mafia Family, and the Mariah Carey drama.

And they've said before that given their successful women/black programming initiatives, they want to try to attract other under served audiences as well, namely Latinx and LGBTQ+ communities - hence Vida, Now Apocalypse, Hightown, and Dirty Girls Social Club.

But then they have American Gods and UK crime imports like MotherFatherSon and The Dublin Murders, which, I guess are skewing female? And The Continental is still in the works, but I'm guessing it will focus on female characters within the John Wick universe?

Focusing on non-white/non-male audiences isn't a bad "niche" - and it's not like white/men aren't watching these shows too - but at the same time, cancelling Counterpart because it skewed male is dumb and I feel like they could still make genre action shows like Spartacus or Black Sails, just with a more female focus. (INCURSION)

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And The Continental is still in the works, but I'm guessing it will focus on female characters within the John Wick universe?
It's not out of the question that it will be fronted by a woman or feature a female-skewing cast. One of the spin-off films in the works is likely focused on those Russian ballerinas (considering the film in question was originally an original spec script about ballerinas), so clearly the John Wick braintrust feels comfortable with positioning women as part of its franchise's future.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
That would explain why it has been a while since anything on STARZ piqued my interest. My melodrama meter breaks every time I try to watch one of their current shows. Kinda sad they snagged The Continental. As much as I enjoy John Wick I guess they are going to try and morph it into something I won't care for. Oh well, can't have it all.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
That would explain why it has been a while since anything on STARZ piqued my interest. My melodrama meter breaks every time I try to watch one of their current shows.

I mean...that's kind of fucked up lol. Just because their shows skew more female/non-white doesn't mean they're melodramatic - in fact, I'd say HBO's programming on the whole has more melodrama than Starz' right now (I struggle to think of a single Starz show I'd describe as melodramatic).

Kinda sad they snagged The Continental. As much as I enjoy John Wick I guess they are going to try and morph it into something I won't care for. Oh well, can't have it all.

We have no reason to think the show won't still kick all kinds of ass. It'll just be kick ass with a (most likely) female lead.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Counterpart male comments are :( to hear. J.K. Simmons fronted the show, but it had really good and diverse female characters. Emily, Claire, Baldwin, Mira, and even Naya in Season 2. sigh

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Damn, why did Outlander have to get pushed back :(, I mean it's not the type of show that requires a ton of post effects or things, and they started filming back in April.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
RatskyWatsky The Terror yay or nay, and also thoughts on S2 trailers?

Yes and yes

Damn, why did Outlander have to get pushed back :(, I mean it's not the type of show that requires a ton of post effects or things, and they started filming back in April.

Scheduling. They want to "serve the Power audience" during the back half of this year so they pushed Outlander to 2020 where they can presumably better "serve the Outlander audience".

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

Oh hey, another one for the "renewed for season 2 before season 1 even airs" club. Having read the original film script on which this is based I kinda wonder what they'll do with it.

-----------------

Also did we actually talk about the THR interview from which that incredibly dumb "premium women" comes from?
We've also learned that over time, looking at our programming slate, while we talked a lot about serving the underserved and giving voices to talent that has never been seen on TV before, when we dug deeper, we learned it was premium women who were driving the service. We've started to lean into that. Everything we do now has to service that kind of programming mandate.

So what's "premium women"?

A little older — probably 24-54 and a little more economically viable than other segments, in terms of broadcast. They really like high scripted drama, great women in history and a lot of IP. You look at the audience for Outlander and that's the perfect audience for us. We've done a lot of research around that and figured out that women are twice as likely to buy apps that are under $10; they're more loyal; they're lifetime value on a digital side is much longer. Whether we were smart enough to figure that out or we backed into it, we've seen it and are now leaning into it in a big way.

That term is just…

For a long time I was calling it "female centric," but we're not trying to be Lifetime. We're not trying to put programming on that is at the exclusion of men. A lot of the couples who watch Outlander, the woman finds it and she brings her spouse to watch it. We do have a large male universe of viewers but if it doesn't serve that female audience, it's not for us.
because lordy. the "That term is just..." is pretty much my reaction too. lmao

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh hey, another one for the "renewed for season 2 before season 1 even airs" club. Having read the original film script on which this is based I kinda wonder what they'll do with it.

-----------------

Also did we actually talk about the THR interview from which that incredibly dumb "premium women" comes from?

because lordy. the "That term is just..." is pretty much my reaction too. lmao

I'll give Carnival Row a shot, I like the direction they are going

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give Carnival Row a shot, I like the direction they are going
The 2005 script is pretty good... or well was. I kinda wonder if it will suffer in the way The Alienist suffered; that it took so long for it to actually hit screens that a lot of the ideas that were fresh in its original incarnation lack that same punch so the entire thing comes across as a bit blasé.

Some of the changes that are evident in the trailer could alleviate this, but if it also keeps some aspects of the original those same changes could make this some prime (sorrynotsorry) ~problematic~ material.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Prolific creator-producer Lena Waithe has closed an overall deal with Amazon Studios. She has three series on the air, including the upcoming Amazon horror anthology Them.

Emmy winner Waithe is among the slew of A-list showrunners who have been shopping mega overall deals over the past seven months. Her Amazon pact is believed to be for two years and in the eight-figure range.
Good for her.

----------

oh. they're doing Clear and Present Danger. 🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
For Netflix US:

Derry Girls S2 on August 2nd
The 100 S6 on August 14th

Any word on when Baptiste might be showing up? iirc it was meant to be June, then delayed, haven't heard anything since.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
lol at The Romanoffs. How much did Amazon spend on that, and how much buzz did they end up getting?

Tuca & Bertie cancellation still sucks. I suspect a lot of (disproportionately male, unfortunately) BoJack viewers saw the art style and started watching T&B expecting a BoJack spinoff, then quit as soon as they realized how different the show was. It's no secret that Netflix sees a failure to retain viewers over the course of a season as almost as bad as low viewership in general, if not worse.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
The Romanoffs was a miniseries, but I'm not surprised that it wasn't successful enough to force a second season anyway like Big Little Lies. I was under the impression that Too Old to Die Young was a one-off as well, so I'm not surprised by that not returning either.

Patriot had a very weak S2 but also came to a natural conclusion in the end, so I'm not bothered by it being cancelled. Perpetual Grace LTD is basically Patriot S3 anyway.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon will not be moving forward with a second season of the Fred Armisen/Maya Rudolph show Forever, which, thank god. It ended perfectly and a second season would have just fucked it up.

Lore will also not be continuing.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Amazon will not be moving forward with a second season of the Fred Armisen/Maya Rudolph show Forever, which, thank god. It ended perfectly and a second season would have just fucked it up.
Thank God indeed. I felt like there were quite a few unanswered questions at the end, but the main characters' storyline was clearly finished.

BTW, is Alan Yang (the creator of Forever) working on something else?

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Amazon is such a weird streaming platform. Seems like they cancel the vast majority of their shows. Hard to gain any traction that way.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

Wicked, Kansas is a darkly comedic western from Oscar-nominated feature writer Ron Shelton (Tin Cup, Bull Durham) and Oscar-nominated feature producer Frank Marshall (Bourne Identity, Jurassic Park).

Rocket Men, from Brad Weston's Makeready and Brillstein Entertainment, is a six-part limited series based on the best-selling book by Robert Kurson.

Set in 1968 – the year of the Tet offensive, the assassinations of MLK and RFK and the Chicago DNC riots, It tells the true story of the Apollo 8 mission as a stark example of what America was capable of in a time of dramatic violence and discord, Rocket Man focuses on the three astronauts of the Apollo 8 crew and their families, presenting a vivid, gripping narrative that shows anew how much danger was involved – and how much bravery it took – for man to travel away from Earth.

Written by Darby Kealey (Patriot), Rocket Men's executive producers include Brad Weston (Makeready) and Jon Liebman (Brillstein).

I have no idea what Epix is doing, but I'm kinda glad that they are doing it?

Jack Ryan having a plot about Venezuela is uh... bit of an unfortunate timing...
Considering Clancy's political views he'd consider it fortunate. But yeah, they're Clear and Present Danger-ing it this season, considering Sicario 2 touched that nerve a bit and the shit it (mostly deservedly) got for it... basically whatr I'm saying is that there will be thinkpieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.