• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I've never watched Happy Endings. I just finished how I met your mother (first time watching). Maybe I'll start that next.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
welcome to my world from 2-3 years ago when Black Sails, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Dark Matter, etc all ended. All the new stuff isn't as interesting to me. Oh well, its given me OODLES of time to catch up on stuff I missed like Ozark, The 100, Good Place, etc.

The one show this year I really do love is The Boys on Amazon, its ranking right up there with my top 10 shows of all time. But virtually everything new on Netflix or cable is just meh to me.

uh Breaking Bad has been off air for 6 years, and Mad Men over 4. ;)

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Monday night's ratings. Young people seriously cannot get enough of the Bachelor Universe:

Fast-Demo-2019-Aug-05-MON.png

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix's "The Baby Sitters' Club" adds Alicia Silverstone, Mark Feuerstein
Based on Martin's book series, The Baby-Sitters Club is a contemporary original series that will follow the friendship and babysitting adventures of five best friends -Kristy Thomas, Mary Anne Spier, Claudia Kishi, Stacey McGill, and Dawn Schafer – in Stoneybrook, Connecticut.

Silverstone will play Elizabeth Thomas-Brewer, the mother of Kristy Thomas and love interest of Watson Brewer, played by Feuerstein.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently a Fresh Off the Boat spinoff is in the works.

'Fresh Off the Boat' Spinoff Will Likely Feature New Cast
ABC is looking to turn yet another one of its long-running series into a franchise.

The network, as was reported Monday, is in early development on a Fresh Off the Boat spinoff. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the comedy, produced by now Disney-owned 20th Television, would feature an entirely new cast and central family rather than revolving around one character from the current ABC comedy.

Rachna Fruchbom — who has been with Fresh Off the Boat since season two — is attached to pen the script and exec produce alongside series EP Melvin Mar.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One big 16-episode block of filming makes too much sense. They should have done this at the beginning tbh, but I can imagine no one could imagine that all four leads would become such big stars in such a small span of time.

At least this way, FX has enough in the can so that LaKeith, Zazie, Brian, and Donald can go off and do their things for years at a time before coming back.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
My heart!

THR: 'Happy Endings' Reboot at ABC? "There's a Remote Possibility"

The mountains I would move to make this happen...

Of course, nothing's actually being done right now, but I like the way the new president of ABC is thinking already.
O.o

That will be a great start towards ABC's redemption.

I... want to believe the FOTB news, but after the Sue Sue in the City snub I won't hold my breath.

Also, Whose Line is doing well for itself compared to its brethren.

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
Filming two seasons of Atlanta back to back makes sense with the entire cast seeming like they're constantly busy.

Also, I refuse to get my hopes up for any sort of Happy Endings revival.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

Viacom has scored a big, fat hairy deal to acquire the rights to classic cartoon Garfield. The media group has entered a "definitive agreement" to acquire the IP from owners Paws and will develop a new Garfield animated series.

The deal, which is expected to close in the coming weeks, will add to Nickelodeon's library of big names including Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, SpongeBob SquarePants and Paw Patrol.

In addition to the new animated series – the first since The Garfield Show aired on Cartoon Network in the U.S. in 2009 – Viacom will manage the global merchandising rights to the property.
tumblr_pnpgb5pLDv1qz8z2ro1_500.png

Written by Gist, Our Kind of People centers on single mom Angela Vaughn, who risks it all and moves her family to Martha's Vineyard with hopes of taking her natural hair care line to the next level by infiltrating the African American elite in Oak Bluffs. But she soon discovers a secret about her past that just might change her position and shake up her life and this influential community forever.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

details of the documentaries:
OUTLAW: THE SAGA OF AFENI AND TUPAC SHAKUR
From Emmy-nominated director Allen Hughes (The Defiant Ones) comes a five-part cinematic television event exploring two voices, activist Afeni Shakur and hip hop icon Tupac Shakur, that could not be silenced. Told through the eyes of the people who knew them best, Outlaw is an intimate wide-angle portrait of the most inspiring and dangerous mother-son duo in American history, whose unified message of freedom, equality, persecution and justice are more relevant today than ever.

A WILDERNESS OF ERROR
From Emmy Award-winning producer Marc Smerling (The Jinx) and Blumhouse Television (The Jinx, Sharp Objects) comes a six-part documentary series, A Wilderness of Error, based on Errol Morris' novel of the same name. When handsome Army Surgeon Jeffrey MacDonald is sent to prison for killing his family, a storm of swirling narratives challenges our very ability to find the truth, all the while overshadowing a chilling possibility: MacDonald may be an innocent man. Marc Smerling directs and executive produces the series alongside Blumhouse Television and Wilshire Studios. Smerling will executive produce along with Jason Blum, Marci Wiseman, Jeremy Gold, Mary Lisio, Dawn Olmstead, Jessica Grimshaw, Rachel Horovitz and Michael Jackson. Bryan Murphy is co-executive producer.

PRIDE
Pride is a six-part documentary series hailing from Christine Vachon's Killer Films and Refinery 29, chronicling the fight for LGBTQ civil rights in America, as seen through the lens of our national history, and the biggest pop culture and political events. Each part directed by a different renowned LGBTQ director, Pride is about all of us, and the awesome, heartbreaking, and heroic story surrounding the LGBTQ fight for freedom over the last 60 years in America. Pride is executive produced by Christine Vachon and Sydney Foos of Killer Films, Refinery29/Amy Emmerich, Stone Roberts and Alex Stapleton.

HIP HOP UNTOLD
From Executive Producer Malcolm Spellman and Academy Award and Emmy Award-winning Lightbox, comes Hip Hop Untold, a six-part examination of a dying breed of power brokers who operate from the shadows of hip hop. It's a deep dive into the paradox of America's criminalization of the genre and fascination with the street culture that exists within it. Instead of telling the story of hip hop from the top down, we tell the story from the streets up. Hip Hop Untold is executive produced by Jonathan Chinn and Simon Chinn (Lightbox), Eugene "Big U" Henley, Jimmy Chriss, Malcolm Spellman, Douglas Banker and Rashidi Natara Harper.

THE MOST DANGEROUS ANIMAL OF ALL
Based on the New York Times best-selling book of the same name, The Most Dangerous Animal of All is a four-part documentary series that explores one man's search for the father who abandoned him, only to uncover the worst: he believes his father is one of the most infamous serial killers in American history. From producer Ross Dinerstein (The Innocent Man) and Academy Award®-nominated director Kief Davidson (The Ivory Game)., The Most Dangerous Animal of All is an honest depiction of true life and true crime unexpectedly merging to upend one man's understanding of his own identity. The Most Dangerous Animal of All is executive produced by Dinerstein and Davidson.

WOMEN IN COMEDY
For decades female stand-up comedians have struggled against biases both conscious and unconscious, but now an interesting narrative is emerging as women are more daringly using the medium to express their points of view on their experiences and the culture at large. Women in Comedy, a feature length documentary by director Andrea Nevins (Tiny Shoulders: Rethinking Barbie), will examine the changing landscape for women in stand up through intimate interviews and the examination of their groundbreaking art in the post Me Too era. Women in Comedy is executive produced by Ross Dinerstein (The Innocent Man), Jim Serpico and Nevins, with Jessica Kirson serving as producer.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the Circe adaptation on HBO MAX is a mini-series. (though I imagine if it's a big enough success they'll order more because mini series doesn't really mean anything these days)

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
FX unveiled today that their third season of the award-winning limited series franchise American Crime Story will center around the sex scandal that rocked the Presidency of Bill Clinton.

Sarah Paulson after winning a best actress limited Primetime Emmy for her turn as Marcia Clark in American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson will return to the anthology as Linda Tripp, while Beanie Feldstein will play Monica Lewinsky with Annaleigh Ashford as Paula Jones. Lewinsky will also be a producer on the limited series. Production begins on the Fox 21 Television Studios/FX Production in February with the third season premiering Sunday, Sept. 27, 2020 at 10PM.
They gave this a date really far out (take note UK broadcasters!)

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017

The title is kind of nondescript compared to "The People vs OJ Simpson" or "The Assassination of Gianni Versace" and the subject matter is...eh, but considering that they're timing it to air at the height of the 2020 election, I'm sure it'll be juicy and topical and full of righteous indignation.

They gave this a date really far out (take note UK broadcasters!)

🤤

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I was dreading this news when Jason Issacs posted this last week:

Between cancelling Sense8 and The OA, Netflix has failed me on that general style of sci-fi drama. Really frustrated. Even if I loved the endings of both of The OA's seasons standalone, I hope Brit Marling gets to produce an ending somehow if she wants - I'd be down to contributing to crowdfunding if it came to that.

Both were not bad shows. But they got a little pretentious in my opinion. Like an arrogance about them.

I don't think a show needs to be so high concept that it loses continuity. I understand the fresh twists and angles the sometimes justify them but I think they while great shows lost themselves fundamentally.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously? I thought I was the only fan of that here lmao.
Series was super adult for what it was lol

Yes! One book per episode (would be a tight squeeze but on the positive side every episode would be jam packed), big budget TV movie events for the Chronicles/Megamorph books, what to change, how to make it better, do I leave the Ellimist in and if not how do I get the plot where it needs to be, etc. This is what I think about when I'm at the gym lol

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Yes! One book per episode (would be a tight squeeze but on the positive side every episode would be jam packed), big budget TV movie events for the Chronicles/Megamorph books, what to change, how to make it better, do I leave the Ellimist in and if not how do I get the plot where it needs to be, etc. This is what I think about when I'm at the gym lol
Godamnit, I think about this shit all the time too. I'm desperate for someone to throw money at these books.
And TV CG has progressed far enough that it wouldn't be terrible to look at either.

Honestly, even though it may sound like blasphemy, I'd want it to be set in modern times, I think it could benefit from being set in the age of fake news, Russian bots, and other forms of misinformation, only not by any state actors lol.

I think there are some books that are obviously can be combined or left out entirely. I'd absolutely also expand on certain books because they have concepts that I felt left a lot on the cutting room floor, like the one where Jake got captured. So much cool stuff that didn't really get as much attention as I would've liked. :D

Fake Edit: I should really write a topic about it one of these days. I'm glad at least someone else here is a nerd about it.

Last edited:

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Is this new? I guess everyone and their mothers want their GOT?

https://deadline.com/2019/08/john-l...-game-of-thrones-big-scope-series-1202663094/

As the David Benioff & D.B. Weiss sweepstakes recently moved into the final stage, attention focused on three blue-chip companies vying to sign the Game of Thrones creators in a mega TV overall deal: Disney, Netflix and Amazon. In an intriguing wrinkle, as we reported, the pact on the table at Disney has a key FX component while giving the duo access to all TV/streaming divisions of entertainment giant.

In an interview with Deadline, FX Networks Chairman John Landgraf laid out the reasons for Benioff and Weiss' serious conversations with Disney and FX in particular, while also expressing his firm belief that FX would be home of series as big as Game of Thrones under Disney as its new corporate owner.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017

In terms of quality, what (FX) show would you say Snowfall most closely matches?

Godamnit, I think about this shit all the time too. I'm desperate for someone to throw money at these books.
And TV CG has progressed far enough that it wouldn't be terrible to look at either.

Honestly, even though it may sound like blasphemy, I'd want it to be set in modern times, I think it could benefit from being set in the age of fake news, Russian bots, and other forms of misinformation, only not by any state actors lol.

I think there are some books that are obviously can be combined or left out entirely. I'd absolutely also expand on certain books because they have concepts that I felt left a lot on the cutting room floor, like the one where Jake got captured. So much cool stuff that didn't really get as much attention as I would've liked. :D

Fake Edit: I should really write a topic about it one of these days. I'm glad at least someone else here is a nerd about it.

It would do gangbusters, I tell ya! I think it could work well on a TV budget too - you wouldn't even have to show them morph every time.

I had always pictured it as a 90s period piece (sort of like a not-anywhere-near-as-brazen-and-gross 90s Stranger Things type thing) but a present day version could be really interesting, tying the Yeerk's invasion of the body snatcher-esque mind control to fox/fake news and whatnot. That's a really good idea!

Probably, yeah. I actually never read all the books (there were like 8 random ones that I could never get a hold of), but some were definitely more important/interesting than others. The one where Cassie makes a deal with the yeerk and agrees to live as a butterfly fucked me up as a kid lol

I bet if you did, you'd find at least a few others who feel the same as us! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.