• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ryan Murphy's "The Politician" premieres Sept. 27th on Netflix.

Unlike his Crime Story anthology, based on real-life events, The Politician isn't designed to be so literal. The plan is for each of the seasons, initially envisioned as five, to follow Platt's fictional character, Payton Hobart, as he runs in a different election, from student government to the presidency.
There's a lot of good stuff in here, from Ryan giving his cast points on the backend to his relationship with Netflix execs. But, the best part has to be the bits about the ambition of the man:
Back in the trailer, Murphy's phone buzzes, reminding him he's nearly late to a script meeting for one of his dozen projects. Ratched, Boys, Hollywood and The Prom (which stars Meryl Streep and Nicole Kidman) are all in various stages of pre- to postproduction, and The Politician's second season starts up in October. He's also got three documentary projects, plus three other series in development at the streamer — to say nothing of his five 20th shows, most of which have second windows on Netflix. (There's even talk of a "Ryan Murphy" button or row on the platform, though the details have yet to be fleshed out.) What is clear is that for someone who works 18-hour days, relying on the occasional IV vitamin drip to stay healthy, the irony of Murphy's efforts to create more manageable workdays for cast and crew is apparent. "I will always be this person," he says. "I want to be Norman Lear. I want to work when I'm 96 years old."
He pitched 7 ideas to Netflix after his deal was signed and his intention is to make all of them. Godspeed, Ryan.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
So, how "safe" are Murphy's shows from the dreaded Netflix axe? Like they would have to bomb extra hard to be canceled one imagines?

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Netflix paid Ryan Murphy shitload of money for that. It'll be mediocre, get a good 2nd season and cancelled with a cliffhanger finale.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
That article is so eager to gush over everything Ryan Murphy that it pretends a line referencing rich people buying kids' college admissions was a clever prediction of the latest admissions scandals, even when the article itself later talks about how they were inspired by Kushner's college admission, and you know, the fact that we know this stuff has occurred for decades.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That article is so eager to gush over everything Ryan Murphy that it pretends a line referencing rich people buying kids' college admissions was a clever prediction of the latest admissions scandals, even when the article itself later talks about how they were inspired by Kushner's college admission, and you know, the fact that we know this stuff has occurred for decades.
But don't you care Murphy is a triple Scorpio???

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
In terms of quality, what (FX) show would you say Snowfall most closely matches?

It would do gangbusters, I tell ya! I think it could work well on a TV budget too - you wouldn't even have to show them morph every time.

I had always pictured it as a 90s period piece (sort of like a not-anywhere-near-as-brazen-and-gross 90s Stranger Things type thing) but a present day version could be really interesting, tying the Yeerk's invasion of the body snatcher-esque mind control to fox/fake news and whatnot. That's a really good idea!

Probably, yeah. I actually never read all the books (there were like 8 random ones that I could never get a hold of), but some were definitely more important/interesting than others. The one where Cassie makes a deal with the yeerk and agrees to live as a butterfly fucked me up as a kid lol

I bet if you did, you'd find at least a few others who feel the same as us! :D
Yeah, you could definitely avoid the trouble blowing up the budget by skipping having to show the morphs every time.

This is gonna be my last reply on the topic before I get back to general TV stuff but if you ever want to reread the books, they're all available (legally) online for free. Scholastic did come through a few years ago and told them to take it down when they were doing the relaunch but seems now they have their blessing again.

And yeah, there are for sure some fucked up storylines in the books, especially the ones where they're just resigned to do whatever.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ryan Murphy's "The Politician" premieres Sept. 27th on Netflix.

There's a lot of good stuff in here, from Ryan giving his cast points on the backend to his relationship with Netflix execs. But, the best part has to be the bits about the ambition of the man:

He pitched 7 ideas to Netflix after his deal was signed and his intention is to make all of them. Godspeed, Ryan.

The Ryan Murphy button

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna be my last reply on the topic before I get back to general TV stuff but if you ever want to reread the books, they're all available (legally) online for free. Scholastic did come through a few years ago and told them to take it down when they were doing the relaunch but seems now they have their blessing again.

Oh nice! I'll definitely download them all to my kindle~

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

Emmy Award-winning Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have found their new home. Nearly three months after Deadline revealed that Benioff & Weiss were being courted by six studios for an overall global deal to write, produce and direct new series and films, we can reveal that they have signed an exclusive deal with Netflix.

Nobody was confirming numbers, but sources tell Deadline the deal is in the 9-figure range like some of the other mega-deals signed by show creators like Shonda Rhimes and Ryan Murphy, each of whom also moved to Netflix.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Casey Bloys said that if they signed a deal with a non-Warner/HBO company then Confederate would be dead, so...

Confederate is dead lol

unless they get the rights from HBO and set it up at Netflix

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Casey Bloys said that if they signed a deal with a non-Warner/HBO company then Confederate would be dead, so...

Confederate is dead lol

oh no, what will I ever do with this pic I have had saved on my computer for nearly two years (august 17th is the anniversary!)?

aaQGGpk.jpg

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Reading between the lines, Bloyes was perfectly content to watch them and Confederate go bye bye, at least for the price. It's like "the one new thing you developed was a PR nightmare, you killed our cash cow early for no good reason, you left a bad taste in fans' mouths, and now you want a huge raise?" Thanks, but no thanks.

I kinda suspect they won't even try to create something new for Netflix. They'll just hunt down something else to adapt.

Edit: I also wonder if we will ever hear rumblings from all these companies that they regret huge overall deals when the creatives have so many obligations to competitors at the same time.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
The network made a concerted effort last season to develop a new incarnation of one of its signature series, 24, by commissioning two scripts from 20th Century Fox TV and Imagine TV, a real-time legal thriller written by 24 executive showrunner Howard Gordon and Jeremy Doner and a prequel that traces the origin story of CTU agent Jack Bauer, from Gordon and 24 co-creators Joel Surnow and Bob Cochran.

As we reported in January, none of the projects got to pilot, with 24 producers going back to the drawing board and Fox expressing interest in cracking the prequel idea with a fresh new take. The legal thriller concept is no longer on the table, I hear.
~let things die~

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
grown-ish is confirmed to start its third season early next year, which isn't that far away.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
grown-ish is confirmed to start its third season early next year, which isn't that far away.
Yeah. I actually like that they are letting people know ahead of time. Same thing happened with this season. Really been enjoying the show so I'm happy they announced it's coming. Guessing it'll be back in February and then maybe a possible final season around summer or fall of next year.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
What's the story is the new 90210 with the original cast it's 6 episode a mockumentary but are they testing the waters for an official reboot

I want season 11 and see the actors play the characters they used to play

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
For anyone with Hulu, they just added Plus One. Small movie starring Maya Erskine. If you're a fan of hers, this is a great showcase of her charms.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Wednesday night's ratings. "BH90210" did really well. The demo ratings for ages 25-54 is especially exceptional. I do wonder if they'll be able to keep up this momentum:

Fast-Demo-2019-Aug-07-WED.png

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? Netflix has the most shows I watch of any "network" including HBO, which is the second most. They're great.
I'm glad you're enjoying their content, but the quality of their originals isn't really what I'm talking about. It's the fact that they're losing all other content and hemorrhaging subscribers. And in a few months they're going to have major competition that has both bigger catalogs and library of established IP as well as bigger wallets for originals (HBO Max and Disney+, not to mention Amazon's upcoming slate). Netflix is past its peak and its on the way to irrelevance barring some major shift in strategy.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Question to everyone: What's the last new announcement from Netflix that excited you? I have a hard time thinking of anything. Maybe Locke & Key? Or going way back to when they put the Dark Crystal series into production? I haven't cared about any of their major talent or source material deals in forever.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Netflix is past its peak and its on the way to irrelevance barring some major shift in strategy.

I wouldn't say that, I think the next five years will determine whether Netflix will end up being the SVOD equivalent of Google or Yahoo.

Globally speaking Disney have a real hill to climb with Hulu expanding beyond the US, something Netflix are already five years (and that's being generous) ahead of them.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I'm glad you're enjoying their content, but the quality of their originals isn't really what I'm talking about. It's the fact that they're losing all other content and hemorrhaging subscribers. And in a few months they're going to have major competition that has both bigger catalogs and library of established IP as well as bigger wallets for originals (HBO Max and Disney+, not to mention Amazon's upcoming slate). Netflix is past its peak and its on the way to irrelevance barring some major shift in strategy.

Netflix has been evolving for a decade. It used to be for watching old movies, but now it's more for their own content, at least for me and many others. That's pretty much all I use it for and I still have things to watch most of the time.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
They're not hemorrhaging subscribers. They're adding them by the millions. The problem they stated recently was that they didnt add as many as they predicted, which could eventually be a problem. The "on its way to irrelevance" comment is too crazy to even address.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Slowing growth =/= "hemorrhage". Unless I missed something recent...?

They face a real battle now, but that is why they are doing what they are doing. I hope they succeed or at least are able to maintain their relevance.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Question to everyone: What's the last new announcement from Netflix that excited you?

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. Big Mouth getting 3 more seasons. The Witcher trailer. The Sandman. They make announcements all the time that look good. I don't understand the doom and gloom some people feel towards Netflix. They're still far and away the most prolific streaming service.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. Big Mouth getting 3 more seasons. The Witcher trailer. The Sandman. They make announcements all the time that look good. I don't understand the doom and gloom some people feel towards Netflix. They're still far and away the most prolific streaming service.

Agree with this but also don't need announcements. I just like that shows I love are getting renewed.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017

Confederate is dead lol

Ok hear me out, what if DnD do a Netflix show where the Civil War never happened? In this world the North and South split into separate countries. The United States of America and Consortium of America.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
They're not hemorrhaging subscribers. They're adding them by the millions. The problem they stated recently was that they didnt add as many as they predicted, which could eventually be a problem. The "on its way to irrelevance" comment is too crazy to even address.

Netflix gained 2.7m subs in the last quarter, but the breakdown of that number was imo a bit scary - they actually LOST 300k subs in USA/Canada (not sure if that was the first time thats ever happened) but made up for it with 3m foreign subs for a net gain.

Just like Hollywood box office numbers are skewed because domestic receipts are FAR more profitable - Hollywood keeps like 70% of receipts, vs 25-30% foreign - domestic sub numbers are far more valuable on a per dollar basis than say a netflix India or Netflix Russia account.

So the fact that Netflix actually LOST us sub numbers in Q1 2019 is very disconcerting, especially since no doubt foreign streaming services are far, far behind and as they rise up they will definitely not let Netflix ride unchallenged. Plus with HBO Max and Disney+ and Apple coming out later this year, competition is only getting stronger and not in Netflix's favor.

re: "whats Netflix done that excited you", I think a lot of people are sorta morbidly curious about The Irishman, Scorcese's movie with Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, etc. Costing I think over $200m its hard to see how that cost is justified in any way. Dark Crystal for sure. Other than Stranger Things it doesn't really feel like Netflix has a show that everyone wants to watch, which may be fine, but then its kinda weird they go after D&D.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Leaked list of DnD's pitches:
- The Handmaid's Tale but the oppressed are African-Americans
- The women's liberation movement but with men.
- Fantasy show with more fucking and more boobs.
- Game of Thrones 2
- Lord of the Rings

- Confederate, but white people are the slaves

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Netflix gained 2.7m subs in the last quarter, but the breakdown of that number was imo a bit scary - they actually LOST 300k subs in USA/Canada (not sure if that was the first time thats ever happened) but made up for it with 3m foreign subs for a net gain.

Just like Hollywood box office numbers are skewed because domestic receipts are FAR more profitable - Hollywood keeps like 70% of receipts, vs 25-30% foreign - domestic sub numbers are far more valuable on a per dollar basis than say a netflix India or Netflix Russia account.

Assuming the US drop is a one time thing driven by the price increase its not a big deal. A fractional loss of the base is nothing compared to the extra revenue the price rise brings in. If they lose users again next quarter it'll be a much larger problem.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Netflix is doomed is like "Everyone hates Brie Larson"

Youtube will suggest these videos to you for whatever reason, it spreads, thus its now fact.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Wednesday night's ratings. "BH90210" did really well. The demo ratings for ages 25-54 is especially exceptional. I do wonder if they'll be able to keep up this momentum:

Fast-Demo-2019-Aug-07-WED.png
I'm not planning to watch but I am kind of rooting for BH90210 to do well. Maybe just cause its nice to see a follow up perform well.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap those 90210's rating are insane by CW standards. I assume we will have a renewal announcement by tomorrow.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Question to everyone: What's the last new announcement from Netflix that excited you? I have a hard time thinking of anything. Maybe Locke & Key? Or going way back to when they put the Dark Crystal series into production? I haven't cared about any of their major talent or source material deals in forever.

Hmm...

I'm excited for The Dark Crystal, not because I'm a fan of the movie (I'm not) but because I appreciate the lengths they're going to to recreate the (very unique) world with like puppets and practical effects and stuff (even though there's still some cg).

The Witcher - I haven't played the games or read the books, but everyone is like "OMG the Witcher" so I kind of am too (lol)

Chronicles of Narnia - legit excited for this, especially if they can finally adapt the later books

I'm morbidly curious/excited to see how the live action Avatar: The Last Airbender, Cowboy Bebop, and Resident Evil series turn out

That's about it.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
The last new announcement that excited me was the "Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling" pickup. And that was announced only a few weeks ago and will release tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.