• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Thursday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2019-Aug-22-THU.png

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
They won't have a problem. Next year they will still have (at least):
  • Avenue 5
  • Barry
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm
  • Euphoria
  • Game of Thrones Prequel*
  • His Dark Materials
  • Los Espookys
  • Lovecraft Country
  • Run
  • Succession
  • The Nevers
  • The New Pope
  • The Righteous Gemstones
  • The Third Day
  • Watchmen
  • Westworld
Not to mention more stuff slated for 2021 and beyond, plus the brand merge with HBO Max and their originals.

*Might actually slip to 2021
I think the chances the GoT prequel premieres in 2020 are very low.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have a lot of stuff coming but will any of it catch on with critics or audiences 🤔
I think so. I have high hopes for His Dark Materials and Lovecraft Country. People who liked Veep will probably like Avenue 5. The New Pope I imagine will continue the quality of the first series. Etc.
I think the chances the GoT prequel premieres in 2020 are very low.
I agree, but there's still a slight possibility. I also agree with the above poster that keeping it a spring show makes sense.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Fargo is filming in Chicago currently - my wife's firm is working with some of the actors, and she just helped one of them out today and noticed.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
1) The Young Pope was genuinely fantastic.
2) How could you not have heard of this, John Malkovich, Sharon Stone, and Marilyn Manson all join for the second coming. Also
01-jude-law.jpg

like, there is no defence for not knowing, and not being excited for this.

The Smoking Hot Pope.

Admittedly I didn't watch the first season... I just listened to all the critics talking about it because they liked saying the name of the show over and over again. lol

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that the Breaking Bad movie is coming to Netflix first - once it eventually hits AMC, everyone will have seen it already. Like, of the people who have AMC and are interested in a BB movie, how many will actually wait several months (?) for it to hit AMC as opposed to just watching it as soon as it hits Netflix?

Not sure what AMC is getting out of this deal to be honest.

(I mean, TV rights for movies are still a thing - FX still pays big money for the newest Mission Impossible or whatever, but still)

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like Disney will release stuff weekly. Best news.

Copyrights expire based on first use, not continuous use.

Indeed. But it is perfect to keep the trademark alive which they can still use to fight when the copyright expires, and to make subtle changes that would make it harder for people wanting to use a formerly copyrighted work. Like when Steamboat Willie expires, it will only be the version of Mickey Mouse as he was released back then.

Oct 25, 2017
I slept on Titans. About halfway through and it seems amazing?
They somehow pulled it off because S1 looked like the worst DC property yet in advertisements and ended up legitimately good.

S2 looks like it went the right direction so hard that its actually the series im most hyped for by far, hell the potential direction with S1 and Doom Patrol's quality has me more excited than either Marvel or DC movies currently.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
It's weird that the Breaking Bad movie is coming to Netflix first - once it eventually hits AMC, everyone will have seen it already. Like, of the people who have AMC and are interested in a BB movie, how many will actually wait several months (?) for it to hit AMC as opposed to just watching it as soon as it hits Netflix?

Not sure what AMC is getting out of this deal to be honest.

(I mean, TV rights for movies are still a thing - FX still pays big money for the newest Mission Impossible or whatever, but still)
It's not really that weird, I think. Netflix has been a huge factor in financing and popularizing this show. Remember, it was one of the first Netflix Originals in the world and a huge part of Netflix's success as they launched worldwide. I expect most, if not all, of the budget for this movie came from Netflix. AMC is getting a courtesy deal here, for obvious reasons. It'll be a nice warm-up to air ahead of Better Call Saul's new season.

Besides, Gilligan is still under an overall deal with Sony Pictures, who own all Breaking Bad content. As one of the few unaffiliated big production companies, their working with Netflix to compete with the companies that have their own TV outlets and are setting up their own streaming services makes more sense. Either way, AMC doesn't really have much to say in all of this, as I said, I would be surprised if their getting the TV airing for this is much more than a courtesy from Sony to them.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I slept on Titans. About halfway through and it seems amazing?
Amazing how exactly? Everyone is an unlikeable asshole, they spent a whole episode on dream-like sequence 3 fucking times and apparently killing people is no big deal in this universe until halfway through the series when the writers realize this is a DC comic book show.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Titans is a solid 7.5 out of 10. I don't regret watching it but it's not a great show. Doom Patrol is excellent, Swamp Thing was a dumpster fire that I didn't even bother finishing.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if DCU or HBO Max picks up Krypton,
was the ending satisfactory?

watched a few episodes and liked it but hadn't had the time to finish, now that its cancelled I don't know if I should bother.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I wonder if DCU or HBO Max picks up Krypton,
was the ending satisfactory?

watched a few episodes and liked it but hadn't had the time to finish, now that its cancelled I don't know if I should bother.
Krypton is OK. If you liked it so far, there aren't many episodes left. I think there was 20 total? The ending was a cliff-hanger, not regarding the immediate fate of a character, rather a showing of "Here's what next season will be about", although there won't be one. I doubt it was popular enough to warrant a pick-up by anyone else, or whether that's even possible, what with ownership, licenses, etc.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really that weird, I think. Netflix has been a huge factor in financing and popularizing this show. Remember, it was one of the first Netflix Originals in the world and a huge part of Netflix's success as they launched worldwide. I expect most, if not all, of the budget for this movie came from Netflix. AMC is getting a courtesy deal here, for obvious reasons. It'll be a nice warm-up to air ahead of Better Call Saul's new season.

Besides, Gilligan is still under an overall deal with Sony Pictures, who own all Breaking Bad content. As one of the few unaffiliated big production companies, their working with Netflix to compete with the companies that have their own TV outlets and are setting up their own streaming services makes more sense. Either way, AMC doesn't really have much to say in all of this, as I said, I would be surprised if their getting the TV airing for this is much more than a courtesy from Sony to them.

I know that AMC had an exclusive negotiating window with Sony TV for BCS, so I guess I'm just surprised there wasn't a similar deal in place for this, and if there was, that AMC didn't offer a larger bid to Sony TV to get before it hit Netflix. The fact that it's a movie is probably what tempered their interest - I'm sure they would have fought harder (if that's even what happened!) if El Camino were a miniseries or something.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
got that new TV episode smell wafting through the house, tonight three new shows premiere - Peaky Blinders (UK only, USA Netflix will air season 5 starting Oct 5th), Ballers with The Rock and JD Washington, and Kirsten Dunst's new show on Showtime, On Becoming a God in Central Florida about 80s pyramid scheme MLMs with presumably Florida Man being a huge component of it. Plus episode 2 of Righteous Gemstones.

I feel that feeling in my bones creeping back, when there are too many great shows airing every night and you have to decide what to watch. Its been a dry six months, but at least it let me watch all 9 seasons of Friends for the first time and rewatch Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
got that new TV episode smell wafting through the house, tonight three new shows premiere - Peaky Blinders (UK only, USA Netflix will air season 5 starting Oct 5th), Ballers with The Rock and JD Washington, and Kirsten Dunst's new show on Showtime, On Becoming a God in Central Florida. I can almost feel that feeling when way too many shows air every night to watch, coming back.

fuuuuck I want Peaky Blinders now :(

Also, yeah, Sundays are crazy right now:

Succession
Righteous Gemstones
Fear the Walking Dead
Preacher
Power
The Affair
On Becoming a God in Central Florida

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
'Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance' on Netflix is getting great reviews, while the reception for Amazon's 'Carnival Row' has been very mixed, to the surprise of no one in this thread.

Carol & Tuesday (the new Shinichiro Watanabe anime on Netflix) is supposed to be really good, but of course isn't getting any coverage from critics.

All 3 premiere this Friday!

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
'Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance' on Netflix is getting great reviews, while the reception for Amazon's 'Carnival Row' has been very mixed, to the surprise of no one in this thread.

Carol & Tuesday (the new Shinichiro Watanabe anime on Netflix) is supposed to be really good, but of course isn't getting any coverage from critics.

All 3 premiere this Friday!
Look more stuff I'll add to my queue and swear I'll watch someday but never actually get around to.

So glad Disney+ will be week-to-week, since I can actually keep up with stuff released like that.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All things considered, mixed is a pretty good end result with what went on with this show. Maybe they can actually improve it in season 2.

And I'm super excited for Dark Crystal.

Status
Not open for further replies.