• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
5b77182989c8a1d4218b466b-640-360.jpg

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like Marti Noxon and Gillian Flynn are mulling another season of Sharp Objects, presumably without Amy Adams, even though it was a miniseries that ended perfectly and really doesn't need another season:

per Deadline

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lol, shit like this is why I constantly mock HBO. What a pathetic fucking network. More Sharp Objects but without Amy Adams is such a stupid idea.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Nowhere in there is an indication that HBO is similarly interested in another season of Sharp Objects without the lead character. Would they be open to hearing a pitch? Probably, if only out of professional courtesy. Would they commit resources to it...? That seems unlikely.

It's Hollywood tradition to desperately attempt to develop and sell followups to successes. People are still pointlessly developing a Gladiator sequel!

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Silicon Valley needs to end so, so badly.
I foresee Flash tanking very quickly if the rumoured cast departures are true, though (unless they plan to pull characters from Arrow to fill the voids).
Cast departures? As in plural? Who else have you heard besides Carlos Valdes?

Edit: Oh wow, now Panabaker as well? The show's going to go to shit. And before anyone can say it, no, it already hasn't.
If they're both leaving then TBH, good they deserve better than the fucking mess the show is from a writing standpoint and the show badly needs a shake up anyway, they ruined Cisco in season three and Caitlyn has pretty much been a nonfactor to being an afterthought for so much of the show. It's easily worst of the DC shows on the CW after fighting neck and neck with Supergirl the last couple seasons for the title, Supergirl finally got some good villains and decent story stuff going on something The Flash has struggled with now since mid-way into season two.

As long as the Sirens of Spacetime or the Custodians of the Chronology are still on the air, I'm happy.
May have bad news for you, the rumor that Arrow was ended included that LoT was going to end too though that is still as of now still just a rumor but if half of it was true the other half could very well be also.

Just heard Arrow cancellation, guess I have to watch the last 3 seasons now...urghhh.

Thread title should've been "You have failed CW TV".
Not so much a cancellation, Amell wanted to end the show and Berlanti and Pedowitz later agreed. Season five is arguably the best season they ever had, six and seven so far have been middling at worst, no real low, lows but not really much in the way of highs either. Diaz has been a complete dud as a villain made worse by their insisting on trying to make him a thing and none of is is Kirk Acevendo's fault. After the last episode there's a decent possibility things could pick up.

One very interesting fact from the articles I linked a couple of days ago. 40% of HBO customers ONLY watch the licensed movies. Considering they're presumably going to lose all but the Warner's movies over the next 3-4 years that's quite the threat to "the HBO way".

Losing Warner movies would be so monumentally stupid when they're part of the same company but I wouldn't be surprised, it'd be right up the Time Warner conglomerate of nonsense alley.

EDIT: Read that wrong, never mind.

I usually lurk the thread, but came upon a depressing cancellation story about one my favorite recent sci-fi shows, "Dark Matter". Someone in the show's subreddit a made thread asking why the show got canned and the creator gave rundown of what happened.

Reddit thread link

JosephMallozzi-Show Creator
It irritates me too. Especially because I had a five season plan going in complete with character and story arcs (which is why we were always able to set-up and pay off so much as the show went along). But, since you asked, this is what went down...

When we were first pitching the show, the pilot script went to Syfy's Acquisition division in New York. They picked up the show. But as it turns out, the script had also been sent to Syfy's Originals division in L.A. - who hated it and passed. And when they found out that the Acquisitions department in NY had picked up a project they had passed on, I heard they were decidedly Unhappy.

Then the show premiered and outperformed most of their originals. Which, from what I heard, really didn't sit well with Syfy L.A.

Fast-forward three years later and our point person in New York left to go to Netflix. As a result, we didn't have a champion in our corner anymore. Even though we were the network's third-most watched show, I heard that not one executive stepped up for us. And, well, Syfy L.A. were never really fans - so we were cancelled. Without so much as a press release or a thank you. We went back at them and asked for the opportunity to offer fans a conclusion, even simply in the form of a two hour movie. They never even answered the email.

I always wondered why the show got cancelled because it seemed pretty popular by SyFy standards, but for it to go out like that is frustrating to see.
That's the bullshit from Sci-Fi/SyFy that I know and "love"!

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying that season 5 of Arrow is the best, but 1 and 2 are easily much better.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Britain seems more amenable to doing short seasons, some times one-offs too. With the American networks everything has to go on until long past the sell-by date. It's like, "We've invested in creating this world and characters, and the sets and outfits, and we're damned well going to milk it for every cent."

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
People keep saying that season 5 of Arrow is the best, but 1 and 2 are easily much better.
Yep. The entire time S5 was airing and people were going on about how it was so good I really didn't understand what they were talking about. Yeah it was better than season 4 but S4 was so bad and so that didn't mean much.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yep. The entire time S5 was airing and people were going on about how it was so good I really didn't understand what they were talking about. Yeah it was better than season 4 but S4 was so bad and so that didn't mean much.
No way. S5 is a perfect streak of episodes (for a CW superhero show). Best villain, awesome new sidekicks, solid action, great soundtrack, characters getting outsmarted instead of acting dumb, etc.

S1 and S2 had bigger budgets which were noticeable but S5 drew back on the show's history really effectively in a way that The Flash has since tried and absolutely failed to do.

Oct 25, 2017
S2 went to complete crap immediately after the Barry origin. Slade's villain motivation completely ruined the character.
S1 was a bit slow and climax was basically Batman Begins
S5 was the most solid throughout and easily best villain

Barry's episodes in S2 were the series highest point though.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Best villain? The copycat bow and arrower guy who was like the son of that guy Ollie killed in season one? I liked him way more than Damien Darhk or Rasyh (or post S1-Merlin gag) but Slade was way more threatening and interesting.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Which season had the most Roy flips? That's the true metric for Arrow quality.

God, I'm going to miss this stupid show.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Ethan Hawke Toplines Abolitionist 'Good Lord Bird' Limited Series For Showtime
Ethan Hawke and Jason Blum are certainly going to have some Good Lord Bird to talk about today on-stage at SXSW now that Showtime has officially ordered the limited series.

His deal having just closed in the past few days, multiple Oscar nominee Hawke will play pivotal 19th-century abolitionist John Brown in the Blumhouse TV eight-parter. Good Lord Bird the series is based on the 2013 novel of the same name by James McBride. The National Book Award for Fiction winner is told as a memoir of an enslaved teen. The story follows Henry Shackleford AKA "Little Onion as he joins up with Brown during the tense Bleeding Kansas era before the Civil War and has encounters with history and historical figures like Frederick Douglass and Harriet Tubman.

With Anthony Hemingway directing and executive producing, the First Reformed actor will also EP as well as co-write the adaption with author and Fear The Walking Dead scribe Mark Richard. Along with Hawke, Hemingway and Richard, James McBride, Jason Blum, Brian Taylor, Ryan Hawke, David Schiff, Jeremy Gold and Marci Wiseman also serves as EPs

The limited series is expected to air in 2020, I hear.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Taika Waititi To Co-Write & Direct 'Time Bandits' Series In Works At Apple
Thor: Ragnarok filmmaker Taika Waititi has boarded Time Bandits, the TV series adaptation of the beloved Terry Gilliam-directed movie, which is in development at Apple.

Waititi will co-write and direct the pilot for the potential series, co-produced by Anonymous Content, Paramount Television and Media Rights Capital. He also will serve as executive producer alongside Gilliam and producer Dan Halsted (People Of Earth).

Apple last summer made a deal for the rights to turn the 1981 fantasy into a TV series. Gilliam's Time Bandits is a dark, irreverent adventure about imagination, bravery and the nature of our dreams. It follows the time-traveling adventures of an 11-year-old history buff named Kevin who, one night, stumbles on six dwarfs who emerge from his closet. They are former workers of the Supreme Being who have stolen a map that charts all the holes in the space-time fabric, using it to hop from one historical era to the next in order to steal riches. Throughout the movie, they meet various historical and fictional characters, including Napoleon Bonaparte and Robin Hood, while the Supreme Being simultaneously tries to catch up to them and retrieve the map.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'The Blacklist' Renewed For Season 7 By NBC With Original Cast Set To Return
NBC has given an early Season 7 renewal to veteran thriller drama The Blacklist, from Davis Entertainment, Sony Pictures TV and Universal TV.

I hear the pickup had been in the works for awhile. Standard broadcast series' cast contracts are for six years. While I hear The Blacklist star James Spader had renegotiated his deal early on, adding an extra year, the rest of the show's original cast members' contracts were up at the end of the current sixth season. I hear over the past several months, Sony TV inked new pacts with co-lead Megan Boone and the other two original series regular cast members Diego Klatenhoff and Harry Lennix. Securing the core cast paved the way to a Season 7 renewal.
Mike Judge Inks Overall Deal With HBO; Includes Production Commitments For 2 Comedy Series
Silicon Valley co-creator Mike Judge has signed a two-year overall deal with HBO, which includes production commitments for two new comedy series. Judge's deal includes all forms of television, excluding animation.
Under the pact, two new comedies from Judge have been given series production commitments.

The first is Qualityland, based on the novel of the same name by Marc-Uwe Kling, a co-production with HBO and Lionsgate/3 Arts (Silicon Valley); and limited series A5.

Co-written and executive produced by Judge and Josh Lieb (Silicon Valley), Qualityland based on Kling's novel, is the very near future. It's everything we have now, and more so. It's the story of humanity's struggle against the tyranny of convenience. But funny.

3 Arts' Michael Rotenberg also executive produces. HBO co-produces with Lionsgate and 3 Arts.

A5 is co-written by Judge and Etan Cohen (Holmes & Watson, King of the Hill). It is centered on a bioengineer who discovers the gene that makes a person an asshole and attempts to answer the questions nagging at all of us: Why do assholes exist? Why have they come to dominate our culture? And can they be cured?

Oct 25, 2017
The void
So I watched the first season of American Gods... and while I liked it, it feels like all style and like not a whole lot happens. I'm like... this is the season finale already? They've barely done anything. It feel like they spend so much time on the coming to America stories/stories of the old gods. And from I'm reading, season 2 also sounds like a whole lot of nothing going on.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
So I watched the first season of American Gods... and while I liked it, it feels like all style and like not a whole lot happens. I'm like... this is the season finale already? They've barely done anything. It feel like they spend so much time on the coming to America stories/stories of the old gods. And from I'm reading, season 2 also sounds like a whole lot of nothing going on.
Yes. It looks good though.

tucah

Oct 25, 2017

Gaiman has said the plan is five seasons to cover a 450 page book so....don't expect the pace to pick up anytime soon.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The Good Doctor had such a good long term twist that I genuinely didn't expect it even though it was so obvious. lol

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I mean, I agree not much happened in Season one, but a ton happens in the first episode of S2. It's basically the entire meeting and culmination of the first season. And some other stuff besides. It's a good episode. We'll see about the rest of the season.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting him to ask out Claire and that threw me for a loop. I don't think it was that obvious, but I only speak for myself.
It kind of feels obvious in retrospect when you consider how they've interacted with each other throughout the entire series. It's just that you always expect the manic pixie dreamgirl to be the favourite, considering they literally live with each other. lol

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It kind of feels obvious in retrospect when you consider how they've interacted with each other throughout the entire series. It's just that you always expect the manic pixie dreamgirl to be the favourite, considering they literally live with each other. lol
He asked out the pathologist that was introduced a few episodes back. Are you confusing her with Claire?

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Yeah, it's a bit annoying for book readers, because after the third episode we basically get padding for the rest of the season. Of course, there is GOOD padding thrown in (the two Laura focused episodes were damn great), but it does get annoying.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Wish Seth Meyers swapped with Jimmy Fallon. Some of Fallon's jokes/fun overstays its welcome or becomes awkward and some these games. Boring.
I wish Seth Meyers was more popular on this forum. He's on 4 days a week and his political monologues (mostly in the "Closer Look" segments) line up really well with ResetERA. I'm surprised he goes mostly unmentioned here when we're trying to back up our arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.