• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
its funny I see a lot of outrage for the DD cancelation and cries of "ill cancel Netflix it was the only reason I was subbed" which is fine I guess, to each tis own (although thats like saying you have a console for just 1 game, its bizarre), but while I'm sad DD was canceled, I realised all the Netflix renewals I'm actually worried about are actually their actual original stuff, so I guess they did their job? At least concerning myself.

Like I was a lot more worried about American Vandal (booo!), Glow (yay!) or Big Mouth (yay!) or Patriot Act right now (I guess we wont hear anything about Patriot Act for awhile, I dont even know how many eps the current run is going to be) getting renewed than DD

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Based on an incredible true story. Set between 1940s and 1960s London, Mrs Wilson is a brand new three-part drama from BBC One inspired by the real lives of Ruth Wilson's grandparents. Starring Ruth Wilson (as her own grandmother) with Iain Glen, Keeley Hawes, Fiona Shaw and Anupam Kher. Mrs Wilson starts 9pm on Tuesday 27th November on BBC One.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
its funny I see a lot of outrage for the DD cancelation and cries of "ill cancel Netflix it was the only reason I was subbed" which is fine I guess, to each tis own (although thats like saying you have a console for just 1 game, its bizarre), but while I'm sad DD was canceled, I realised all the Netflix renewals I'm actually worried about are actually their actual original stuff, so I guess they did their job? At least concerning myself.

Like I was a lot more worried about American Vandal (booo!), Glow (yay!) or Big Mouth (yay!) or Patriot Act right now (I guess we wont hear anything about Patriot Act for awhile, I dont even know how many eps the current run is going to be) getting renewed than DD

I think it depends on what you're looking for. The only other Netflix shows I care about right now are Castlevania and maybe Stranger Things, and both of those are a while off. What else am I gonna use the subscription for until then? Bob Ross reruns?

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends on what you're looking for. The only other Netflix shows I care about right now are Castlevania and maybe Stranger Things, and both of those are a while off. What else am I gonna use the subscription for until then? Bob Ross reruns?

I mean, it's not our fault you have pretty bad/limited taste: the Marvel shows were okay at best, Stranger Things is about the same and Castlevania is a complete mediocrity that I woudn't even watch if I didn't have lingering affection for the game series.

I have plenty of quibbles with Netflix's output, but they produce a whole hell of lot of stuff better than the shows you mention.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Hallmark Channel to Add Hanukkah Movies to Holiday Lineup Next Year

Holiday TV movies aren't just for Christmas anymore: Hallmark Channel is planning to add a pair of Hanukkah-themed movies to its traditional holiday slate next year, according to a report from Forbes.

The two Hannukah movies are still in the early stages, a network source stresses, and details are sketchy, but one is tentatively titled Holiday Date and will feature "Hannukah elements… which is a lot of fun, as Hanukkah and Christmas overlap in 2019."

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo why is this New Amsterdam show so good

fuck almost every episode makes me fucking cry hard

maybe it's due to me being in that hospital for almost a year. (Bellevue Hospital)

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Yo why is this New Amsterdam show so good

fuck almost every episode makes me fucking cry hard

maybe it's due to me being in that hospital for almost a year. (Bellevue Hospital)

So it's not annoyingly preachy about how evil the health industry is? That almost made me drop The Resident last year before they stopped being so black and white.

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's not annoyingly preachy about how evil the health industry is? That almost made me drop The Resident last year before they stopped being so black and white.

Not really

The "How can I help you?" theme has been going through the stories very well

Almost all the doctors are someone I've had the pleasure of meeting there

so it's more emotional for me.

like those burnt out doctor/nurses

I still remember the PCT family who took care of me for over a year, the feel of the show really resonates with me

the show is more about the overall story how just doing good pays off
I know it sounds to be good to true, but I'll tell you that much, as I stated close to a year in the rehab ward, bed ridden to a point, some of the actors portray to a few my real docs

Shit the director of medicine I knew personalky, she was amazing with me, loved and goofed off with me. I miss Pam ={.

Shit with some magic and government blackmagicfuckery as an undocumented immigrant my $1.5 million health bill turned out to be $550.00

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
seems theres been some Sabrina news lately and I missed it. Part 2 (Season 2? whatever you want to call it) is coming in April so sooner than I expected, and also this for the Buffy / Angel fans:

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Friday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2018-Nov-30.FRI_.png

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wait what...

dead souls likes something? :o
He likes a lot of things. His posts when he likes something aren't funny like when he shits on a show so the posts are overlooked and forgotten about.

Wow, what an upswing for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend! Doubled its demo in a week!
It did that last episode compared to the episode before but that was due to rounding (1.4 for E5, 1.5 for E6). lol

Last edited:

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I mean, it's not our fault you have pretty bad/limited taste: the Marvel shows were okay at best, Stranger Things is about the same and Castlevania is a complete mediocrity that I woudn't even watch if I didn't have lingering affection for the game series.

I have plenty of quibbles with Netflix's output, but they produce a whole hell of lot of stuff better than the shows you mention.

Lmao the condescension in this post , yikes

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Any idea of when Life in Pieces' fourth season will air? I thought it would've been airing now, but it doesn't look like it according to Wikipedia.

I've recently become addicted to it on Netflix, and flew through the first season. I'm on episode 10 of season two now.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Any idea of when Life in Pieces' fourth season will air? I thought it would've been airing now, but it doesn't look like it according to Wikipedia.

I've recently become addicted to it on Netflix, and flew through the first season. I'm on episode 10 of season two now.
It's so good and funny! Underrated show. Season 4 will premiere at midseason, i.e. in January or February.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's so good and funny! Underrated show. Season 4 will premiere at midseason, i.e. in January or February.

Yeah, I love it. It's hilarious. I'm also glad I haven't missed the fourth season, and won't have to wait for and hope that it comes to Netflix.

Honestly, I'd been wanting to and meaning to watch it, but since it'd already started before I noticed it I didn't. I watched one episode, but didn't want to not start from the beginning. Which is why I was happy when I finally subscribed to Netflix and saw it there.

It and Friends are two shows I'll be watching a lot on there.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
From her statements afterwards it didn't seem like it was her choice. Anyway, she's got this, Luther and His Dark Materials, it's not like she won't be busy.

From her statements it seemed like she had a lot of other things she wanted to do. She also said it wasn't her choice. Likely they wouldn't work around her other jobs. And everyone on the interwebs seems to assume it was some sort of #metoo thing, but I don't think that it was.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Lifetime has cancelled YOU ... but Netflix picked up season 2
Joe Goldberg apparently will find his next obsession at Netflix: The Lifetime drama YOU will move to the streaming service for its second season.

Though Lifetime initially had renewed the Penn Badgley-led series for a second season, before Season 1 had even premiered, the cable network has opted not to air the sophomore run, citing low ratings as a major factor in the decison.

"Lifetime had an incredible experience working with Greg Bertlanti, Sera Gamble and the entire team on YOU for Season 1," the network said in a statement. "We wish the cast and crew the best as the series continues on at Netflix and can't wait for the opportunity to work with the creative team again."
https://tvline.com/2018/12/03/you-season-2-netflix-lifetime-penn-badgley-drama/

I liked the first season a good bit, was a fun watch.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Rel is terrible. Like really, really terrible. I hope it gets cancelled. Almost looking forward to seeing the next one season show that Fox tosses into the time slot.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Like what? Docu-dramas about serial killers? Ports of British bake shows? Shows that encourage teen suicide?

Sorry, but the Netflix originals have not exactly been lighting my world on fire as of late outside of Bojack. And I'm not paying a monthly fee just to wait a year for the next season of Bojack.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

somehow you think Castlevania sucks yet you haven't watched it.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Former Amazon Studios exec on the Marvel/Netflix cancellations:
On Netflix's Marvel cancellations, there seems to be some nuance that's missing which tells you a lot about the future of OTT video in 2019. I'm sure both sides wanted a renewal, but the *absolute* not just relative value for both sides continued to decline. And thus no more.

Netflix reportedly holds the right to keep renewing these shows, irrespective of Disney's preferences. Disney may be entering Netflix's territory with Disney+, but that didn't drive the cancellations. Netflix was making a rationale decision based on quality, cost, viewership

To point, the shows will remain NETFLIX ORIGINALS for years, Disney would have to buy them back (and says they don't fit with Disney+'s positioning and won't be rebought) and there's likely a hold on re-using the IP in TV (i.e. Disney can't just launch a new Luke Cage in 2019)

The reality is these shows were unprecentedly expensive (Netflix reportedly paying 60% markup), but they weren't very good, audiences have undoubtedly declined precipitously (you can see this in the marketing spend) and it's hard to grow audience in late seasons. With old, mediocre shows it's just about viewer retention each year

To point, Disney never put much effort in their Netflix shows. Daredevil had 3 showrunners in 3 seasons, Luke Cage was 2 in 2, Jessica Jones 2 in 3, etc. (And the teased MCU integration never happened!!)

It's telling that the signature achievements and performers of the MCU are the 'Avengers' films, but the 'Defenders' was one of the least buzzy, least viewed titles (in part because the preceding two series, the back half of Luke Cage and all of Iron Fist, were very poor)

The Netflix-Marvel deal was set at a time (Nov 2013) when NFLX needed big, buzzy IP that stood out and didn't need to be managed internally. Willing to pay whatever it took for it

And note, the deal was meant to be single seasons. Despite its end, Marvel/Netflix was a success

In 2019, Netflix has a huge internal pipeline - fueled by mega-deal with Shonda Rhymes, Ryan Murphy etc - and there's no markup for their own stuff

And Netflix's audience and brand are much larger. This means Netflix's needs grew as the contribution of the Marvel shows waned

And with Marvel now focused on their own SVOD shows (e.g. the MCU Loki series for Disney+), it's hard to imagine Disney's best foot forward was going to go towards aged Netflix series

Netflix reportedly wanted to shorten the seasons, thereby reducing total spend and improving retention and quality (Netflix's shows, especially the Marvel ones, are famously bloated). Reportedly from 13 eps to 6-8.

Which means Disney would have to effectively reduce their revenue from 2/3rds, while keeping valuable characters unavailable for all other live action applications, while focusing on their own D2C. And while Netflix could force a renewal, they couldn't do so at new terms

So Disney liked balked. The value wasn't there for either party. It once was. And everyone is now tired of financing another party's enterprise value growth – the economic incentives (cost minimization and upside maximization) drive vertical integration.

In short, it just wasn't working for anyone. Including most of the series' original fans.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
HBO Orders 'The Outsider' Drama Series Based On Stephen King Novel Starring Ben Mendelsohn
HBO has given a series order to supernatural drama The Outsider, based on Stephen King's bestselling novel, with Ben Mendelsohn set to star and produce. The project, which marks Mendelsohn's return to TV following his Emmy-winning turn on Bloodline, hails from The Night Of co-creator/executive producer Richard Price, director-producer Jack Bender (Mr. Mercedes) Jason Bateman's Aggregate Films, Temple Hill Entertainment and MRC. Ozark star/director/executive producer Bateman is set to direct the first two episodes of The Outsider and I hear he may play the co-lear opposite Mendelsohn in the two-header.

In The Outsider, written by Price, a seemingly straightforward investigation into the gruesome murder of a local boy leads a seasoned cop and an unorthodox investigator to question everything they believe to be real, as an insidious supernatural force edges its way into the case. The book was published in May by Charles Scribners and Sons.

Laura Dern & Issa Rae To Produce & Star In 'The Dolls' Limited Series In Works At HBO
HBO has put in development The Dolls, a limited series with Laura Dern and Issa Rae attached attached to star and executive produce. The project hails from Dern and Jayme Lemons' Jaywalker Pictures. Rae, who's under a deal with HBO, also will co-write the project with Laura Kittrell and Amy Aniobi, who work with Rae on HBO's Insecure, which has been renewed for a fourth season.

Written by Rae, Kittrell and Aniobi, The Dolls, inspired by true events, recounts the aftermath of Christmas Eve riots within two small Arkansas towns in 1983…riots which erupted over, yes,…Cabbage Patch Dolls. The limited series explores class, race, privilege and what it takes to be a "good mother."

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, 24 Hours to Hell snd Back is back Jan 2. Time for my Ramsay fix! (I'm done with conpetitive stuff like Master Chef though).

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if The Outsider will be a true limited series or it's another thing HBO will consider continuing after the main work is adapted.

Status
Not open for further replies.