• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Rupert Wyatt Exiting Showtime's 'Halo' As Director & EP
Rupert Wyatt is stepping down as director and executive producer of Showtime's series Halo.

"Showtime's adaptation of Halo is evolving beautifully with rich characters, compelling stories and powerful scripts," said Gary Levine, President of Programming, Showtime Networks in a statement. "Obviously, the production demands of this series are enormous, and we have had to add time to the schedule in order to do it right. Sadly, this delay has created a conflict for Rupert, whom we warmly thank for all he has brought to the project."
This is the latest bump on the road to the screen for the Amblin Television project, which was originally announced in 2013 as one of the big series to launch XBox's original content effort. It moved to Showtime shortly after XBox Entertainment Studios was shut down in 2014 and had been in the works at the premium cable network for almost four years, with various creative auspices in talks to join for it over the years, including a number of A-list directors who circled the series. The adaptation finally got a green light in June with Wyatt on board.
🤐🤐🤐

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Shocking... How old of an audience were they targeting with that? Even the original show felt like something targeted at people already in their 40s and probably voted this time around for the idiot the show would rail against.

Nooooooo! 😭

I'll miss those stupid assholes.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Jane the Virgin Spinoff Eyed at The CW

The network is developing a spinoff based on the title character's fictional novels, our sister site Deadline reports.

The untitled project is described as a soapy, telenovela-inspired anthology series that would feature a different book "written by" Jane every season, with star Gina Rodriguez narrating the episodes. The first installment, dubbed "Tar & Roses," is set at the intersection of Napa Valley wine country and the San Francisco art scene.

Jane vets Valentina Garza and Brad Silberling will write and direct, respectively, with creator Jennie Snyder Urman, Rodriguez and Ben Silverman on board as executive producers.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Our sources tell us that the show's [Halo] budget has spiraled out of control as the series' scope has expanded. The early scripts were within comfort range, our source tells us, but development has seen the entire series balloon in size and cost, leading to some cold feet.

per SlashFilm

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
So I guess Gone, the Bravo show that ended its first season tonight, was an internationally produced show that aired overseas first? Now it's just come to North America. It was apparently first released in 2017, and there doesn't seem to be any talk about a second season on Wikipedia even though it ends on a cliffhanger.

Has anyone read anything, or seen any more current news? It's not great, or anything special, but I liked it enough to continue.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
'My Brilliant Friend' Renewed for Season 2 at HBO, RAI
HBO and Italian broadcaster RAI have renewed "My Brilliant Friend" for a second season ahead of the Season 1 finale.

The eight-episode first season of the show is based on Elena Ferrante's best-selling book of the same name, which is the first of her four-part series published in the U.S. by Europa Editions. Season 2 will be based on "The Story of a New Name," her second book in the series.

'Peaky Blinders,' 'Catastrophe' Producers Team with Amazon for 'Dirty'
Caryn Mandabach Productions, producers of BBC/Netflix hit Peaky Blinders, and Sharon Horgan's Merman, behind Channel 4/Amazon comedy Catastrophe, are in development alongside Kapital Entertainment on Dirty, a new series for Amazon Studios written by Danny Brocklehurst (Shameless, Safe).

A funny, filthy, brutally honest look at modern lives, Dirty is the story of a principled woman who takes her first steps into a world of moral complexity. She discovers that everyone has their secrets, and that everyone, to some extent, is dirty.

'Kill Your Friends' Author John Niven Adapting 'Straight White Male' for TV
Yellow Bird U.K., part of TV giant the Banijay Group, has optioned the rights to Straight White Male, the 2013 novel by Scottish writer John Niven.

Niven – author of Kill Your Friends, which was made into a film starring Nicholas Hoult and James Corden in 2015 – will adapt his own book, which follows the personal and professional misadventures of unreconstructed Irish writer, Kennedy Marr.

For fifteen years, Kennedy Marr has lived the high life in L.A., womanizing, writing movies, and spending every dollar he earns. He's got away with it because he's charming and talented and delivers when it matters; a literary wunderkind whose novels took him from humble roots in Cork, Ireland, to Hollywood success, via a doomed marriage.

But now, time – in the form of a huge unpaid tax bill – has caught up with Kennedy. To keep the IRS at bay, he's forced to return to England, to accept a lucrative prize from the English department of a red brick university in deepest Warwickshire.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Monday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2018-Dec-03.MON_.png

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Hulu is launching a John Grisham TV universe.
Hulu is teaming with best-selling author John Grisham to launch an innovative universe with a pair of interconnected series.

The streamer is teaming with ABC Signature to develop what it is calling The Grisham Universe, a format that will start with two scripted series — Grisham's The Rainmaker and Rogue Lawyer — that will share one storyline with the potential to grow the franchise with other shows. Code Black's Michael Seitzman and Detroit 187's Jason Richman will serve as writers and exec producers on both potential series, with Grisham and Seitzman's Maniac Productions' Christina Davis also on board as EPs. The project(s) is currently in the development stage. The Grisham Universe hails from ABC Signature, the cable- and streaming-focused arm of ABC Studios.

The Grisham Universe begins with The Rainmaker and Rogue Lawyer and combines them to create what ABC Signature is calling "wholly original": two books, two shows, one shared storyline. The two shows are independent of one another that still feature intersecting storylines that create a new template uniquely designed for Hulu's platform. The stories of each show are told in a way that a viewer can watch vertically, viewing all of one without the other and be told a story. But they're also told so that a viewer can watch horizontally, navigating from episode 101 of The Rainmaker to episode 101 of Rogue Lawyer, then episode 102 of Rainmaker to 102 of Rogue Lawyer, and so on. While some characters will live in just one show, many characters from each show will cross into and become integral to the other.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This caught my eye from the "Daredevil" cancellation:

I wish Disney capitulated. Netflix shows became infamously bloated, and cutting things back to an 6-8 episode season would have done wonders for the overall quality of the shows.

Shame.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Netflix Marvel would've been so much better at 8 episodes. It's insane that it took them so long to realize (with Iron Fist S2 at 10 eps), at which point it was probably too late.

Or they could've stopped trying to write it as a 13 hour movie and just go more episodic. I struggle to watch Netflix. Even the runtime on individual episodes are bloated. I like that network stuff is 42min and that's it.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree that fewer episodes would fix Netflix Marvel's problems. I've watched shows with 8 episode and seen bloat. I've watched Agents of SHIELD's 23 episode seasons and they don't feel bloated.

Bloat is a writing issue not an episode count issue imo.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Or they could've stopped trying to write it as a 13 hour movie and just go more episodic.

This. When people complain about too many episodes, it usually isn't the length of the season that's the problem, but the writing. If you can't properly fill out 13+ episodes of a superhero/zombie/whatever series, I don't know what to tell you. A Justified approach would have worked so well with the Marvel Netflix shows too - start by doing 4-5 episodic/procedural episodes before going full serialized in the back half. Being forced into a box can be constraining, but it can also spur creativity like no other. That that didn't happen with any of the NMCU series is telling.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
This. When people complain about too many episodes, it usually isn't the length of the season that's the problem, but the writing. If you can't properly fill out 13+ episodes of a superhero/zombie/whatever series, I don't know what to tell you. A Justified approach would have worked so well with the Marvel Netflix shows too - start by doing 4-5 episodic/procedural episodes before going full serialized in the back half. Being forced into a box can be constraining, but it can also spur creativity like no other. That that didn't happen with any of the NMCU series is telling.
ugh you just reminded me of how good Justified was, I need to rewatch that and Deadwood

I'm pretty sure Netflix didn't allow them to go episodic, or as episodic as they needed to and it really shows. It took them a while to figure out what worked and it shows with stuff like GLOW finally alleviating issues in run time, episode order, storylines, etc.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix Marvel would've been so much better at 8 episodes. It's insane that it took them so long to realize (with Iron Fist S2 at 10 eps), at which point it was probably too late.

Or they could've stopped trying to write it as a 13 hour movie and just go more episodic. I struggle to watch Netflix. Even the runtime on individual episodes are bloated. I like that network stuff is 42min and that's it.
The 13 episode thing was a Marvel mandate. Netflix wanted shorter seasons.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A big issue with the Netflix series was how they used their budget. The series were really expensive but it felt really cheap in the way they showcased the characters and their powers.

Iron Fist and Defenders not using their budgets to show an actual dragon at the same time CW had its characters fighting giant talking sharks was really advoctave.

Netflix marvel felt like it was ashamed at its source material at times instead of embracing it like the MCU proper and Arrowverse did.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2017
I am really surprised that The Passage is getting a tv show. Its been years since Ridley Scott bought the rights.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I know theres a small posse here that likes Travelers, Season 3 trailer

Sabrina Christmas special (this is super neat actually imo) drops Dec 14th

and a new crime documentary, The Innocent Man, these are usually good

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
WarnerMedia's Tiered Streaming Plan Takes Shape
WarnerMedia's Nov. 29 reveal that its direct-to-consumer streaming service will feature three content tiers signals that it plans to take on more than just Netflix when the offering launches in late 2019. "It's all-out subscription video wars," says Peter Csathy, founder of advisory firm CREATV Media.
The cheapest tier of WarnerMedia's streaming service will focus on movies and offer films from the Criterion Collection, taking aim at networks like Starz. The second tier — likely to mirror Netflix's $8 to $14 monthly pricing — will have original content and tentpoles like Warners' Harry Potter franchise, which would make it competitive to Showtime and Disney+.

The third, and priciest, tier will bundle the first two with additional library fare, third-party licensed content and possibly even live sports. "This product has to be good enough," WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey told analysts after unveiling the plan.
The service could provide other types of flexibility. Wall Street watchers expect WarnerMedia to mine its Warner Bros., Turner and HBO vaults for movies, TV shows and animation to market its offerings to a range of consumers.
It still comes across as bit of a mess to me, and I'm not as enthusiastic about its chances vis-à-vis Netflix as the analyst quoted in the piece:
"If Netflix loses Friends, Gilmore Girls and [other] WarnerMedia properties, you'll see a death by a thousand cuts," says Csathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.