• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Thursday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2019-Aug-01-THU.png

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix's Spanish-language smash La Casa De Papel (aka Money Heist) has set a new record for the streamer. With more than 34.3M households tuning in for Part 3, this is the largest first-week global household turnout for a non-English-language Netflix series.

Already last year, Netflix said Casa De Papel was its most watched non-English show ever on the service. It scooped an International Emmy for Best Drama last November. The series is produced by Vancouver Media.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
'Flack' Renewed for Season 2 at Pop
The CBS-owned basic cable network — known as the home of critical darling Schitt's Creek and savior of One Day at a Time — has handed out a second season renewal to Anna Paquin vehicle Flack.

The darkly comedic drama, set in the world of high-stakes celebrity public relations, has resumed production in London for another six-episode season.

Executive producer Stephen Moyer (who also happens to be married to Paquin) will make his series directorial debut and helm two episodes of the sophomore series from Pop and UKTV's W Network.

Additionally, Sam Neill will reunite with his former The Piano star Paquin and join Flack for a multiple-episode arc. Daniel Dae Kim will also join the season two cast. Sophie Okonedo co-stars alongside Rebecca Benson, Genevieve Angelson, Rufus Jones and Arinze Kene. Oliver Lansley created the series.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
We're in/entering the dotcom boom era of streaming. Everyone thinks all they have to do is set up a service, throw some halfway decent new or legacy content on it, and they're set. Companies without a niche (Warner, CBS, NBC, etc) are going to quickly find out it's more effort than it's worth. CBS will likely lose more money putting Star Trek shows on All Access than they would if they just aired them.

It's like they learned nothing from Seeso and Crackle.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
We're in/entering the dotcom boom era of streaming. Everyone thinks all they have to do is set up a service, throw some halfway decent new or legacy content on it, and they're set. Companies without a niche (Warner, CBS, NBC, etc) are going to quickly find out it's more effort than it's worth. CBS will likely lose more money putting Star Trek shows on All Access than they would if they just aired them.

It's like they learned nothing from Seeso and Crackle.

I don't even know what Seeso is :x Crackle is still kicking, and I often forget about TubiTV too, which has some decent niche stuff on it.

As for Warner, I think it'll do ok since it's essentially just "the NEW HBO" and HBO gets decent subs on its own, but now adding so many more properties to it like DC, Harry Potter, etc., and I think it'll be ok. But yeah, the comparison to Dotcom seems pretty accurate.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Dolph Lundgren-Sylvester Stallone Action Drama Series Heats Up TV Marketplace
The Expendables and Rocky co-stars Sylvester Stallone and Dolph Lundgren have reunited for an action drama series, which is shaping up as the first sought-after hourlong project this broadcast pitch season.

The show, starring Lundgren and executive produced by Stallone, hails from Tony Krantz's Flame Ventures. According to sources, the project was sold in the room at all three broadcast networks it was pitched to this week, Fox, CBS and NBC, and also drew interest from the two streamers it was taken to, Netflix and Apple. (Because of ABC's renewed focus on female-focused fare, the network was the only one of the Big 4 not to hear the pitch.)

Written by drama veteran Ken Sanzel (Reef Break, Numbers), the series stars Lundgren as a covert operative at the Department of Safety and Security at the U.N. He is described as U.N's secret special agent, a one-man S.W.A.T. team and hostage negotiator.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
More casting news, too: Halo TV Series Casts Natascha McElhone as Cortana and Dr. Halsey
"[Natascha] McElhone will star as two characters -- Dr. Catherine Halsey, the brilliant, conflicted and inscrutable creator of the Spartan supersoldiers and Cortana, the most advanced AI in human history, and potentially the key to the survival of the human race," according to a press release from Showtime.

McElhone and Schreiber will be joined by veteran actors Bokeem Woodbine and Shabana Azmi. "Woodbine will play Soren-066, a morally complex privateer at the fringes of human civilization whose fate will bring him into conflict with his former military masters and his old friend, the Master Chief. Azim will portray Admiral Margaret Parangosky, the head of the Office of Naval Intelligence."

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

*CBS, Viacom Reach Working Agreement on Combined Company's Leadership Team, Sources Say
*Viacom CEO Bob Bakish Expected to Lead Combined Company, Sources Say
*CBS Acting CEO Joe Ianniello Expected to Oversee All of CBS's Branded Assets, Sources Say
*CBS Finance Chief Christina Spade Expected to Be CFO of Combined Company, Sources Say

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whole bunch of news outta Showtime:

Daveed Diggs and Wyatt Russel join Ethan Hawke in limited series "The Good Lord Bird"
Grammy and Tony Award winner Daveed Diggs (Hamilton) and Wyatt Russell(Lodge 49) are for key roles opposite Ethan Hawke in Showtime's The Good Lord Bird based on James McBride's novel, from Blumhouse Television. The eight-part limited event series will premiere on Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 10 PM ET/PT.

The Good Lord Bird is told from the point of view of Onion (Joshua Johnson-Lionel), a fictional enslaved boy, who is part of Brown's motley crew of abolitionist soldiers during the time of Bleeding Kansas, eventually participating in the famous 1859 raid on the Army depot at Harpers Ferry. Brown's raid failed to initiate the slave revolt he intended, but was the instigating event that started the Civil War.

Gal Gadot to play Hedy Lamarr in new Showtime miniseries from Sarah Treem.

Michael Stuhlbarg and Sofia Black-D'Elia join Bryan Cranston in "Your Honor"
Stuhlbarg will play Tommy, the much-feared head of a crime family.

Cranston stars as a respected judge whose son Adam (Hunter Doohan) is involved in a hit-and-run that leads to a high-stakes game of lies, deceit and impossible choices. Black-D'Elia will portray Frannie, Adam's girlfriend.

Showtime gives series commitment to adaptation of novel "Three Women."

Based on years of immersive reporting, Three Women is a nuanced portrait of erotic longing in today's America, exposing the fragility, complexity, and inequality of female desire with unprecedented depth and emotional power. The book's protagonists are a mother in her 30s who rekindles a flame with her high school sweetheart when her husband refuses physical affection, a 23-year-old woman who reports her former teacher for pursuing a sexual relationship with her when she was 17, and a restaurant owner whose husband and business partner picks out her experimental sexual partners. The series also is expected to take a multigenerational approach, revolving around women in their 20s, 30s and 40s.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
"Halo" will begin production later this year in Budapest and is slated to air in the first quarter of 2021. It was announced back in June that Showtime had ordered a 10-episode series based on the megahit video game after it had been in development at the premium cabler for years, though its order has since been trimmed to nine episodes.
Man. Halo has been such a mess, I'm glad they're not forcing them to stretch the season to fit an arbitrary number, but it would be nice for Kyle Killen to come close to crushing his old record of 11 episodes before the show gets cancelled. 😢

(also since it is an obscure reference, it's his (sadly deactivated) twitter: "Awake -- Thursday March 1 -- Appointment television for at least 40-50 of you. Only takes three aired episodes to crush our old record folks!")

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Last line, "We are the 100." Shows the four members of the 100 still left alive.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Did The 100 manage to stay consistent in later seasons? I've only seen the first season and I really liked it, and the characters especially. The set up for S2 is intriguing. Whenever I got time I plan on returning to the show, especially if it keeps it up throughout the seasons.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Did The 100 manage to stay consistent in later seasons? I've only seen the first season and I really liked it, and the characters especially. The set up for S2 is intriguing. Whenever I got time I plan on returning to the show, especially if it keeps it up throughout the seasons.
It went up from season 1 with some crazy good things happening, and especially some very interesting worldbuilding.

Oct 28, 2017

They do something new every season. It's really great overall. I think Season 3 was a weak point but even that was decent. Happy to hear they can end on their own terms.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
ABC's 'The Rookie' Star Quits, Claims She Faced Sexual Harassment, Racial Discrimination
The Rookie actress Afton Williamson will not be returning to the ABC drama starring Nathan Fillion amid claims of sexual harassment and racial discrimination.

The actress, who co-starred in the cop drama from showrunner Alexi Hawley (Castle), ABC Studios and Entertainment One, announced her departure from the show on Sunday in a lengthy post on her verified Instagram account.

Williamson (Banshee, The Night Of) claims she experienced racial discrimination and racially charged in appropriate comments from the hair department as well as from the drama's executive producers starting with the pilot and continuing throughout the show's first season. What's more, she says the harassment was reported to Hawley and the showrunner never passed it along to human resources. Her issues escalated into sexual assault during The Rookie's wrap party, she said.
Her full post:
I will not be returning for Season 2 of The Rookie. I owe it to you my amazing fans to share the Truth. Throughout the filming of the pilot, I experienced Racial Discrimination/Racially Charged inappropriate comments from the hair department and bullying from Executive Producers. During the Season, it continued along with Sexual Harassment from a recurring guest star and the racist commentary & bullying from the Hair Dept. Head escalated into Sexual Assault at our Wrap party. The Sexual Harassment though reported directly to the Showrunner/EP remained undocumented and was not reported to HR as promised. The Hair Dept. Head was fired ONLY after the sexual assault and NOT for an entire year of outward racism/racially charged language and bullying behavior in and out of the Hair and Makeup trailer. HR protocol was never adhered to following the above reports given by me to my Showrunner/EP and an investigation was never issued for any of my claims. The only time I was asked to participate in an investigation was after a meeting I called in June following our Season 2 announcement. This meeting included the Showrunner and two other producers as well as my agent and SAG-AFTRA Union Rep. It was clear to all present in the meeting that the Showrunner had not shared my reports with the any of the producers. After my initial report of sexual harassment, I was assured that the actor would be fired. I was also asked to film with him the very next day as a courtesy to the script, even though we had not begun filming the episode yet. This actor reappeared on our call sheet at the end of the season, I was even written in scenes with him. I asked the Showrunner about this and he admitted to me that the actor had not been fired nor had he gotten HR involved. I was asked to return this season, and promised that "everything was handled." The investigation hadn't even begun and Season 2 had already started filming. I turned it down and I walked. Now is the best time in the world to be a woman and I have a platform so it's time to use my Voice. Strength comes from within. It comes from Above. "Greater is He that is within Me than he that is in the world" ❤️
Showrunner needs to face serious consequences.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
It went up from season 1 with some crazy good things happening, and especially some very interesting worldbuilding.
They do something new every season. It's really great overall. I think Season 3 was a weak point but even that was decent. Happy to hear they can end on their own terms.
I see, that's refreshing if they're doing something new for each season. Might jump back into this sooner than later, while also checking out Vikings.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned in a diff thread but it feels very under the radar for Netflix to announce more Tokyo Stories and yet nobody seems to have noticed for over a month

Great show, sublime acting and just a warm hug after a long day

Tucked away in the backstreets, away from all the hustle and bustle, is a humble Japanese diner. It's open from midnight to seven in the morning; they call it the "Midnight Diner". This low-key drama focuses on the diner's eclectic customers, people of all ages and from all walks of life. Based on Yaro Abe's original "culinary comic" Midnight Diner (published in Shogakukan's Big Comic Original), the drama first aired in 2009. Since then, it has been adapted into films and foreign remakes, gaining fans all over the world. This marks the fifth season of the Japanese series, and is set to feature talented actor Joseph Chang (Au Revoir Taipei) as a special guest from overseas. With a fresh batch of 10 new episodes, there'll be plenty to sink your teeth into.

Producer: Hitoshi Endo
Director: Joji Matsuoka, Nobuhiro Yamashita, Shotaro Kobayashi
Cast: Kaoru Kobayashi, Mansaku Fuwa, Toshiki Ayata, Yutaka Matsushige/Joe Odagiri/Joseph Chang
Launch: 2019

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon board Nick Frost-Simon Pegg TV show about ghost hunters. 8 x 30 min.
Frost plays Gus, one half of a ghost-hunting, duo who team up to uncover and film paranormal sightings across the U.K. in the series. They stake out haunted churches, underground bunkers, and abandoned hospitals using an array of homemade ghost-detecting gizmos and share their adventures on an online channel. Their supernatural experiences grow more frequent, terrifying, and even deadly as the pair begin to uncover a conspiracy that could threaten the entire human race.

Pegg wills also star, as Dave, a character about whom little is yet known. Further casting will be announced soon.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a fantastic show, the best on CW IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.