• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Someone needs to tell me what the draw for AppleTV+ is besides being Apple because I don't see one.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah I have no idea what the hell Apple TV is supposed to be offering without a back catalogue or licensed media. Betting on a few shows with big stars means at best people are going to pay for a month and not stick around after that. Maybe if it came with Apple Music or some other perks, I dunno.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Monday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2019-Aug-19-MON.png

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I can't believe they're actually going to release See. It's so bad. I guess they're banking on Momoa being a draw. What a weak launch lineup though. Couldn't even get For Mankind ready.

Reportedly the most expensive TV show ever produced and it's about a post apocalyptic world where everyone is blind. There's something so meta that concept it's almost as if Apple are mocking themselves.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reportedly the most expensive TV show ever produced and it's about a post apocalyptic world where everyone is blind. There's something so meta that concept it's almost as if Apple are mocking themselves.
Yup. When I read the pilot I couldn't actually believe it got greenlit. How is anyone supposed to believe these people can even be at war with each other when they have to use strings to even be able to tell where they're going? It's so ridiculous.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
It has the apple name. That's enough for a lot of people sadly. No matter the lack of quality.

Apple, Disney and Nintendo have cult fanbases that pay for anything they do and act like it's better than everything else.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has the apple name. That's enough for a lot of people sadly. No matter the lack of quality.

Apple, Disney and Nintendo have cult fanbases that pay for anything they do and act like it's better than everything else.
The major difference is Apple isn't a content provider like Disney and Nintendo. They don't have IP loved the world over. All they have is their own brand. That's fine for selling hardware, but you can't really rely on it for a meager streaming service.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This can't be standalone, right?

Why aren't they bundling this in with Apple Music and then gating things like filmed concerts behind the Apple TV+?

How can a near-trillion dollar company act like an amateur when it comes to things like this?

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
How can a near-trillion dollar company act like an amateur when it comes to things like this?

Hubris. HBO took decades to develop their standing as a premiere destination for original content. Even then, it's supplemented with a ton of licensed content (movies). Netflix licensed tons of content before starting their originals. Hulu the same. Amazon the same.

Apple, tho? Nah, they got this all on their own.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. When I read the pilot I couldn't actually believe it got greenlit. How is anyone supposed to believe these people can even be at war with each other when they have to use strings to even be able to tell where they're going? It's so ridiculous.
Wait that's what See is about? That's a ... bold choice to spend several hundred millions of dollars on.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hubris. HBO took decades to develop their standing as a premiere destination for original content. Even then, it's supplemented with a ton of licensed content (movies). Netflix licensed tons of content before starting their originals. Hulu the same. Amazon the same.

Apple, tho? Nah, they got this all on their own.
This is mind-boggling.

Apple will now have five different subscription platforms: one for games, one for news, one for music, one for cloud storage and this. The services for news and music make sense, but this TV initiative seems incredibly half-baked and considering the turmoil between Apple's mandates for family-friendliness and creatives, why the hell would anyone want to make anything for Apple? There's no draw for this service, nothing to keep me entertained between rollouts of new shows, and a the price tag is insulting. Why would I sub to this when I could pay $2 more and sub to Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN instead? Why not wait a bit longer and pay $16-$17 to have access to most of WB's library?

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
This is mind-boggling.

Apple will now have five different subscription platforms: one for games, one for news, one for music, one for cloud storage and this. The services for news and music make sense, but this TV initiative seems incredibly half-baked and considering the turmoil between Apple's mandates for family-friendliness and creatives, why the hell would anyone want to make anything for Apple? There's no draw for this service, nothing to keep me entertained between rollouts of new shows, and a the price tag is insulting. Why would I sub to this when I could pay $2 more and sub to Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN instead? Why not wait a bit longer and pay $16-$17 to have access to most of WB's library?

Without a massive shift in strategy, it's DOA. Seems the only people who don't know that work in Cupertino.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe they're actually going to release See. It's so bad. I guess they're banking on Momoa being a draw. What a weak launch lineup though. Couldn't even get For Mankind ready.
have you watched it, or is this just the buzz/the script? also, the article doesn't specify that For All Mankind won't be day one
Apparently The Morning Show is in a similar budget tier, believe it or not:

Apple's budget for its forthcoming streaming service—previously reported to be around $1 billion, give or take—has exploded to $6 billion, according to a Monday report in the Financial Times.

"People familiar with the matter" told the paper that executives Jamie Erlicht and Zack Van Amburg, industry veterans in charge of the project, have landed funding commitments in excess of $6 billion. That includes "hundreds of millions of dollars alone on a star-studded series featuring Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon and Steve Carell called The Morning Show," the Times wrote, which sources said places the amount spent per episode in excess of the $15 million per episode HBO dropped on the last season of Game of Thrones. (It seems doubtful that The Morning Show, which looks an awful lot in the vein of notoriously preachy HBO show The Newsroom, will be as popular as Game of Thrones.)

According to the Times, The Morning Show is rivaled only in its budget by science fiction show See, which is apparently about a future where humans have lost their sense of sight. Other major productions in Apple's lineupinclude a reboot of a Steven Spielberg sci-fi anthology series called Amazing Stories, a Sesame Street Workshop series called Helpsters which teaches kids to code, an untitled M. Night Shyamalan series, and something from the creators of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
have you watched it, or is this just the buzz/the script? also, the article doesn't specify that For All Mankind won't be day one
Apparently The Morning Show is in a similar budget tier, believe it or not:
I haven't seen the finished product of any Apple shows. I have read the pilots of many (and episode two of a couple as well) + heard a lot of buzz and first hand accounts of what's been going on there over the last two years. See specifically has been notorious for being a major problem -- they spent a boatload of cash on it and know it's a stinker. If it's a launch show, they should be promoting it front and center given that it is by far their biggest show... but they aren't. That should tell you something right there.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Is phineas and ferb coming back or something because I saw it there on the Disney plus trailer

Good show plus I only watch for doctor D he's amazing

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen the finished product of any Apple shows. I have read the pilots of many (and episode two of a couple as well) + heard a lot of buzz and first hand accounts of what's been going on there over the last two years. See specifically has been notorious for being a major problem -- they spent a boatload of cash on it and know it's a stinker. If it's a launch show, they should be promoting it front and center given that it is by far their biggest show... but they aren't. That should tell you something right there.
to be clear, i wasn't disagreeing

i definitely agree that it's very telling that what, in the broad strokes, sounds like a tentpole show (big-budget post-apocalyptic drama) doesn't even have a trailer yet

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Betting on a few shows with big stars means at best people are going to pay for a month and not stick around after that.

They're apparently mulling releasing the first 3 episode at once and then 1 episode per week after that, so sort of like what Hulu (sometimes) does. Which isn't a bad idea because if they were to drop entire seasons at once, people could just sub for a month, watch everything, and then cancel until the next batch of shows premiere.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
They're apparently mulling releasing the first 3 episode at once and then 1 episode per week after that, so sort of like what Hulu (sometimes) does. Which isn't a bad idea because if they were to drop entire seasons at once, people could just sub for a month, watch everything, and then cancel until the next batch of shows premiere.
I mean, they can still just wait until its over, and then sub and then cancel. Its definitely my plan for Disney +. I'll sub for a month in 2021 when all the MCU shows are up and then cancel.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017

Agreed. When Apple are telling people that their big swing for a GOT style break out hit is going to be an adaptation of Asimov's Foundation you know they've taken a wrong turn somewhere along the line.

The only thing I heard turned out pretty well (a few months ago admittedly) was the Abrams produced musical comedy, Little Voice.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. When Apple are telling people that their big swing for a GOT style break out hit is going to be an adaptation of Asimov's Foundation you know they've taken a wrong turn somewhere along the line.

The only thing I heard turned out pretty well (a few months ago admittedly) was the Abrams produced musical comedy, Little Voice.
well, when you're throwing that much money and talent at the proverbial wall, some of the results have to stick, quality-wise

unfortunately, that's not a substitute for an actual strategy

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I actually haven't heard anything about the Abrams musical project, so that's very possible -- and I'm all for good musicals. But I did hear Foundation was having major issues also. And For All Mankind is alright, definitely above the rest I've read in quality.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
Without a massive shift in strategy, it's DOA. Seems the only people who don't know that work in Cupertino.

Agreed. I have 2 Apple TVs and I'm not paying them $10. Screw that. The folks using the Apple Music hypothetical comparison, good grief talk about apples and oranges. No pun intended.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
This can't be standalone, right?

Why aren't they bundling this in with Apple Music and then gating things like filmed concerts behind the Apple TV+?

The Apple music launch probably made them think it would be that easy. The main plus for Apple Music is that it comes pre-installed on their devices and that was enough to get them more US subscribers than Spotify in less than three years.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
The Apple music launch probably made them think it would be that easy. The main plus for Apple Music is that it comes pre-installed on their devices and that was enough to get them more US subscribers than Spotify in less than three years.

Also Apple Music isn't 100% made up of family friendly music produced exclusively by Apple.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Have HBO MAX or Apple announced any kids/family programming thus far? Or has everyone (save Netflix and Amazon) already ceded that territory to Disney+?

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Pennyworth is better than it probably has any right to be so far

I've actually really enjoyed it so far. My question is, why has EPIX shown two episodes (on it's night) the last couple of weeks. Is EPIX already planning on cancelling it and burning it off?

Edit: Never mind, I think only one episode recorded this week.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017

"The British Tribe Next Door," which will see a British family spend four weeks with a remote tribe in Namibia.

The twist in this format is that, unlike most adventurers, the participants don't say goodbye to the comforts of their home — instead, they take them with them.

The family will have running water, electricity, and all their possessions around them, from hair-straighteners to frozen ready-made meals and a TV

... bruh.

Status
Not open for further replies.