• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Julia Child Drama Starring Joan Cusack From Chris Keyser Near Deal at HBO Max

The CAA package with the WGA's key negotiator attached to supervise and exec produce was set up in late 2018, before the WGA's new Code of Conduct was put into place.

Chris Keyser, a key negotiator in the Writers Guild of America's battle against talent agencies over packaging fees and affiliated studios, continues to remain an active developer during the negotiations with the Association of Talent Agencies.

Keyser, who has been shopping a pitch with WME's affiliate production company, now has a second TV project with a packaging fee attached — this time, from CAA. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that a scripted drama based on the life of famed chef Julia Child — with Keyser attached to exec produce and supervise — is near a deal for a pilot order at HBO Max. Joan Cusack (Toy Story, Shameless, What About Joan) is near a deal to star as Child, with David Hyde Pierce (Frasier) also in talks for a leading role.
Keyser will exec produce the series and supervise writer Daniel Goldfarb (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Tyrant). The drama hails from Lionsgate TV and 3 Arts, the management company the studio acquired majority control of last summer. The Julia Child series is a CAA package, which was set up in late 2018 ahead of the WGA's new Code of Conduct. The project was put together in November and taken out recently by Lionsgate once Goldfarb's script was completed. Sources say Keyser learned of CAA attaching a packaging fee to the Julia Child project once HBO Max expressed interest in the show.
The Julia Child show is produced by a traditional studio (Lionsgate TV), unlike The State of Affairs, the drama that Keyser is shopping via Endeavor Content and Chernin Entertainment. That project, which remains in development, was set up more than a year ago — and before the writers battle with agencies over affiliate studios (like Endeavor Content and CAA-based Wiip) and packaging fees (as is the case on both projects). Sources say The State of Affairs — a drama written and exec produced by Keyser and based on Esther Perel's book about relationships and infidelity — is likely to land a script order at Apple.

Still, the timing of both projects circulating in the marketplace is not great for Keyser, who was based at CAA before opting to fire his agents in April when the WGA terminated its 43-year-old agreement with the ATA. It's also worth noting that Keyser is not violating any guild rules as writers can continue to pitch new projects so long as their fired agents — any who have not signed the WGA's new Code of Conduct — are not involved.

At the center of the ongoing battle between the Writers Guild and ATA are fees agencies receive for packaging clients on TV series and films — which Keyser is doing on both The State of Affairs and with the Julia Child show — and affiliate studio productions (true for the former) in which agencies become the studios on their packages.

Keyser defended the packaging on The State of Affairs in a statement when the drama was first being taken out to potential buyers amid meetings between the WGA and ATA: "This [existence of affiliate production entities] is in no way antithetical to the goals of the agency campaign, which is entirely focused on eliminating the conflicted practices of the agencies themselves," he wrote. "In the case of WME, CAA and UTA that means disentangling them from their studios, but not eliminating the studios or decreasing their business. Remember, in 1962, MCA, the agency, went away, but Universal Studios remained. So, even if I could have anticipated this question, back when I made my deal, it would have raised no legal or ethical issues. No one is being asked or expected as some sort of gesture — to walk away from work at an affiliated studio. Our sole obligation in this struggle is to abide by [Working Rule] 23 and fire our agencies until they resolve their conflicted practices. That we have all done as a united Guild."

Keyser has been the face of the guild's effort to end packaging fees and affiliated studios. He recorded a 16-minute video to WGA members blasting the agencies' practices of profiting from packaging fees and affiliate studio productions. "[The agencies] have shown that their loyalty is not to us [the writers] but to a system of compensation," he said in the May 1 clip. (Read that transcript here.) Keyser next has the rebooted immigration-themed Party of Five due at Freeform and season two of Netflix's YA drama The Society, on which he serves as showrunner.

The Julia Child drama is the latest order at HBO Max, which continues to build its pilot slate. It joins Practical Magic prequel Rules of Magic, John Wells-produced Red Bird Lane and Lena Dunham dramedy Generation, starring Martha Plimpton. HBO Max's scripted series slate includes Ansel Elgort's Tokyo Vice, Cristin Milioti comedy Made for Love, Paul Feig anthology Love Life, starring Anna Kendrick, and a Gremlinsanimated series, among others.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Friday night's reruns:

Fast-Demo-2019-Sep-06-FRI.png

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
The Morning Show have 24m view on youtube but only 33 thousands like. But its still a huge number especially for a drama?comedy show.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
My current backlog is reduced to Miami Vice, Magnum PI, Smallville and The Wire. I wonder how many months that will take me alongside life and new television.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Patriot Act finished its volume 4 (I guess? It's not a season, it's on like every 3 months) with a episode on cops (oh boy) and Hassan says they are back in November so I guess its renewed, but who knows how many eps they are renewing it for tbh, is it renewed every 6 episodes, is it renewed for 1 year with several blocks, who knows!?

But it's back in November thankfully.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
berzeli , Jude Law says the Speedo isn't even the skimpiest thing he wears in "The New Pope". (Warning: spoilers for Ep. 1 of the show at the link)
"You'd be surprised to know that those swimming trunks actually weren't the smallest costume I got to wear in this season," he said. "There's actually one scene where I was wearing a napkin. I have a photo of it, because it was truly the smallest costume I was ever given. I asked one of the costumiers what my outfit was for the day, and he literally picked up a piece of material."

Oct 25, 2017
Sunday night's ratings. Football, Football, FOOTBALL!!!:

Fast-Demo-2019-Sep-08-SUN.png
The tribute to Steve Kroft since he was retiring was nice to see on 60Minutes, seeing Hillary Clinton in that old interview going Jesus Mary and Joseph when that random light falls during her interview never gets old. Also love that Odometer story and seeing that quote the dude in that story said about Steve Kroft was lololol. Classic.

Will miss him, was one of their best. Hope he enjoys his retirement well.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I'm for Tyler Perry getting paid, but not sure how much demand there really is for this.

BET Networks and Tyler Perry Studios have set a Thursday, Sept. 19 launch date for BET+, its new SVOD platform that will feature more than 1,000 hours of premium content, including original programming, fan-favorite series, movies and specials from BET Networks and a host of leading African American content creators.

Priced at $9.99 per month, BET+ will at launch offer several "firsts" including the long-in-the-works First Wives Club series, based on the 1996 film; Bigger, a Will Packer-produced look at a single black woman in East Atlanta whose life is upended by the random death of a college acquaintance; the classic sitcom Martin's streaming debut; and the first time that Tyler Perry's stage plays have been made be available via a streaming service.

BET+ Sets Launch Date, $9.99 Price for First Wives Club, Tyler Perry Library, Martin, Basketball Wives and More

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Patriot Act finished its volume 4 (I guess? It's not a season, it's on like every 3 months) with a episode on cops (oh boy) and Hassan says they are back in November so I guess its renewed, but who knows how many eps they are renewing it for tbh, is it renewed every 6 episodes, is it renewed for 1 year with several blocks, who knows!?

But it's back in November thankfully.

Didn't Netflix give him a 32 episode order? I think we're at like 25 or something.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any news on a Season 2 for Hyper HardBoiled Gourmet Report? Just started watching it on Netflix and been enjoying it, but it says it was made 2017 (which I guess we didn't get right away), and it's hard to find any additional info on it. Hoping it wasn't just a one-and-done mini-doc series.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The CW is developing a Dark Shadows remake/revival:

The CW and Warner Bros Television has made a deal to develop Dark Shadows: Reincarnation, an hourlong gothic horror drama based on the 1966 Dan Curtis-created cult classic TV soap opera. The pilot will be written by Mark B. Perry, whose credits include Revenge, Ghost Whisperer and Brothers & Sisters.

The re-imagined show will be a modern-day continuation of the strange, terrifying, and sexy saga of the Collins family of Collinsport, Maine — a mysterious, influential, publicity-shy group hiding a ghastly secret: For the past 400 years, they've lived under a curse that bedevils their blue blood with every imaginable supernatural creature and horror. The intention here is to harken back to the original, which was so popular it actually saw Shakespearean actor Jonathan Frid become as popular in the teen magazines as the young heartthrobs of the moment, for his role as the vampire Barnabas Collins.

Said Perry: "As a first-generation fan, it's been a dream of mine to give Dark Shadows the Star Trek treatment since way back in the '80s when Next Generation was announced, so I'm beyond thrilled and humbled to be entrusted with this resurrection. And while I could never hope to fill Dan Curtis' very large shoes, I do aspire to carry them a little farther into the future. I also want to reassure the fans of the original that this version will treat the show's mythology with the same reverence given to Star Trek, but will also make the show accessible for audiences who aren't yet familiar with the macabre world of the Collinses. My plan is to take as few liberties as possible with the Dark Shadows canon, while bearing in mind a quote from a 1970s episode delivered by the inimitable Oscar-nominee Grayson Hall as Dr. Julia Hoffman: 'The Collins family history is not particularly famous for its accuracy.'"

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda shocked to find out that Love Death & Robots was renewed, the few episodes I watched looked mad expensive.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I love the Muppets, but the Once Upon a Time creators and Josh Gad didn't exactly give me tons of hope, so can't say I'm bothered.

Just revamp the Muppet Show already. People love Muppets being Muppets, and they love watching celebrities have fun. That's the Muppet Show! Stop trying to make a sitcom with story arcs.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
This was an announced show, we have known about it for ages including about the pilot order. Which indeed doesn't take away from Muppets Now also existing independent of this one.

What I mean is officially announced like have a stage show and press released. Not some news from DL or Varierty, because we have news of 100s of projects currently still in development all year. The words is passed or not going forward not canceled because its not airing anywhere.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Just do The Muppet Show. Not Muppets Tonight, not The Muppets. etc. Just do the original, but new episodes. People will love it.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
What I mean is officially announced like have a stage show and press released. Not some news from DL or Varierty, because we have news of 100s of projects currently still in development all year. The words is passed or not going forward not canceled because its not airing anywhere.

this is true, it was never officially announced, and afaik, neither was Book of Enchantment or a few of the other shows that D+ chose not to move forward with

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Monday night's ratings. What's up with "So You Think You Can Dance?" Is everyone sick of it now or something?:

I still watch and enjoy the series, but it has been on for a long time and viewer erosion over a long period is natural. Plus they have had to trim down the show, less auditions, less time in Vegas, no more Top 20 and continued use of All-Stars have made getting to know the contestants harder and the show not as good. Still there isn't anything quite like it from a difficulty standpoint in dancing on TV and I continue to be amazed by the talent of the young contestants.

Status
Not open for further replies.