• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I dont understand Netflix giving the Duffer Bros a multi year deal, Era told me Netflix was dead soon.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I dont understand Netflix giving the Duffer Bros a multi year deal, Era told me Netflix was dead soon.
I don't recall people saying Netflix would be dead soon. I remember someone asking recently when the stock was over $300 if they should buy and I advised against it. Stock is currently $266, down 31% since July and at a 9-month low.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Era may have told you, but Era didn't tell Netflix that it's already dead

EcstaticWeightyIridescentshark-size_restricted.gif

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Monday night's ratings. CBS's "Bob Hearts Abishola" dropped 0.2 from last week, while everything else pretty much retained their ratings:

Fast-Demo-2019-30-MON.png

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ava DuVernay to direct the pilot for HBO Max's "DMZ", the adaptation of the DC Comic.
Adapted from the Vertigo imprint published and Brian Wood written comic of a second American Civil War in the near future, the A Wrinkle in Time helmer will direct the project with showrunner and EP Roberto Patino writing. Prophetically well timed if yesterday's tweetstorm by Donald Trump is any roadmap, the Manhattan set DMZ will be produced by DuVernay's ARRAY Filmworks in association with Warner Bros. Television.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The Girlfriend Experience" S3 finds its lead and its new story.
Julia Goldani Telles (The Affair) will star in the anthology from Steven Soderbergh based on his 2009 movie, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. She will play Iris, a young neuroscientist who gets drawn into the transactional world of the Girlfriend Experience, only to be drawn deep into the uncanny valley with the relationships she creates.

The London tech scene forms the backdrop to the season, and Iris learns her client sessions give her an edge in the tech world, and vice versa — until she begins to question whether her actions are driven by free will or something else altogether.

Anja Marquardt (She's Lost Control) is writing and directing the third season and is a co-executive producer. Soderbergh, Philip Fleishman and Jeff Cuban executive produce.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall people saying Netflix would be dead soon. I remember someone asking recently when the stock was over $300 if they should buy and I advised against it. Stock is currently $266, down 31% since July and at a 9-month low.
Probably referring to my comments from a while back (at least primarily). I said Netflix was past its peak and that with all of the studios launching their own streaming services with their own original content and extensive libraries (which takes away from Netflix's), eventually Netflix is going to die. I didn't say I expected it to happen soon though/in the next couple of years. Just that the competitors marked the beginning of the end for them. Which I still stand by, and the stock drop represents, because I can't see how Netflix survives purely on its originals once it comes to that.

Personally, I don't think the Duffers are some great get for Netflix. All they've proven they can do is pastiche other works and exploit 80s nostalgia. There's also the whole situation where it's very possible they stole the original idea for Stranger Things from someone else. I'd be happy to be proved wrong if they deliver something great and original in the future, I'm a pit pessimistic though given how both season 2 and 3 of Stranger Things were lacking in quality compared to the first one -- and there's still little originality to be seen in any of it.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Probably referring to my comments from a while back (at least primarily). I said Netflix was past its peak and that with all of the studios launching their own streaming services with their own original content and extensive libraries (which takes away from Netflix's), eventually Netflix is going to die. I didn't say I expected it to happen soon though/in the next couple of years. Just that the competitors marked the beginning of the end for them. Which I still stand by, and the stock drop represents, because I can't see how Netflix survives purely on its originals once it comes to that.

Personally, I don't think the Duffers are some great get for Netflix. All they've proven they can do is pastiche other works and exploit 80s nostalgia. There's also the whole situation where it's very possible they stole the original idea for Stranger Things from someone else. I'd be happy to be proved wrong if they deliver something great and original in the future, I'm a pit pessimistic though given how both season 2 and 3 of Stranger Things were lacking in quality compared to the first one -- and there's still little originality to be seen in any of it.

actually i was referring to the various derp "disney + will kill netflix" OT comments in various threads, not anything in this one.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
actually i was referring to the various derp "disney + will kill netflix" OT comments in various threads, not anything in this one.
I hope that was just hyperbole. Obviously the company will be around for the foreseeable future. I expected to see stock price pressure and earnings pressure leading up to Disney+ launch at least. Even after this big drop it's still trading at 47x next years estimates which is quite high if growth is under pressure.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Monday night's ratings. CBS's "Bob Hearts Abishola" dropped 0.2 from last week, while everything else pretty much retained their ratings:

Fast-Demo-2019-30-MON.png

Wow, 9-1-1 is absolutely killing it. Finally a show I enjoy that I don't have to worry about (is on the bubble).

So is there going to be a 2019-2020 thread?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
2019-20 Season TV Cancellations/Pilots: This Thread Took Longer to Make than the [INSERT FIRST CANCELLED SERIES OF THE SEASON HERE] entire run

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
does Ryan Murphy get props for all the LGBT content he puts in his stuff? Because he kinda should no?

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Final ratings for FRIDAY NIGHT:

ABC's "20/20" went up by 0.1.
All of The CW's shows went down by 0.1.
Everything else stayed the same.

Final-Bcast-2019-Sep-27-FRI.png

Final ratings for SUNDAY NIGHT:

ABC's night held steady since it was the only network not airing football at all. (Same for The CW, but who cares?)
CBS's "60 Minutes" adjusted up by 0.4. "NCIS: Los Angeles" adjusted up by 0.2.
NBC's "Sunday Night Football" dominated the night, as football always does.
Fox's "Family Guy" is finally on the chart, and we can see that it, along with the rest of Fox's Sunday night lineup, are all in line with each other (except for "The Simpsons" which performed the best). Looks like "Bless the Harts" might actually fit in after all.

Final-Bcast-2019-29-SUN.png

Now that those two night are finally finalized, we can get to Monday's final ratings...in a few hours.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I was just over in the Disney + Netherlands thread and I'm seeing exactly what I expected. The service is great for supplemental use but until they start adding a lot of original content it's not going to compete with Netflix. You can only watch 90's X-Men or the Simpsons so many times to justify the cost. Once more movies and OG content hits in the next couple of years I suspect the cost perception will balance out a little but it's never going to directly compete with Netflix and all the takes thinking it will are wrong

But that leads me into what I suspect will be Netflix's more direct competition: Hulu. Do we have any idea when they're going to start adding the Fox content or Disney produced adult fare? I've seen a million articles on plus but only ever peeps about what's going to happen with Hulu

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
AMC Orders Series '61st Street' & 'Kevin Can F**k Himself'
AMC has given series greenlight to courtroom drama thriller 61st Street, from BAFTA-winner Peter Moffat (Criminal Justice, The Night Of, Your Honor) and executive producer Michael B. Jordan (David Makes Man) and Kevin Can F**k Himself, from creator Valerie Armstrong (Lodge 49) and executive producers Rashida Jones and Will McCormack (Claws), I have learned. Both series are produced by AMC Studios. AMC declined comment.

61st Street and Kevin Can F**k Himself were developed under AMC's "scripts-to-series" model, which employs the opening of a writers' rooms to develop and produce multiple scripts for a potential series which, in success, leads to a straight-to-series order. 61st Street and Kevin Can F**k Himself were two of three projects AMC commissioned writers rooms for in November 2018 – February 2019. The third, Rainy Day People, is not going forward, I hear.
61st Street follows Moses Johnson, a promising, black high school athlete, who is swept up into the infamously corrupt Chicago criminal justice system. Taken by the police as a supposed gang member, he finds himself in the eye of the storm as police and prosecutors seek revenge for the death of an officer during a drug bust gone wrong. Timely and provocative, 61st Street is set against the systemic abuse happening in some of our country's most vulnerable communities.

Moffat serves as showrunner and executive producer. Michael B. Jordan and Alana Mayo executive produce for Outlier Society, and Hilary Salmon for BBC Studios.

Kevin Can F**k Himself, probes the secret life of a type of woman we all grew up believing we knew: the sitcom wife. It looks to break television convention and ask what the world looks like through her eyes. Alternating between single-camera realism and multi-camera comedy, the formats will inform one another as we imagine what happens when the sitcom wife escapes her confines, and is full of rage.

Craig DiGregorio (Shrill, Kevin (Probably) Saves the World) serves as showrunner and executive producer. Rashida Jones and Will McCormack executive produce through Le Train Train.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just over in the Disney + Netherlands thread and I'm seeing exactly what I expected. The service is great for supplemental use but until they start adding a lot of original content it's not going to compete with Netflix. You can only watch 90's X-Men or the Simpsons so many times to justify the cost. Once more movies and OG content hits in the next couple of years I suspect the cost perception will balance out a little but it's never going to directly compete with Netflix and all the takes thinking it will are wrong

But that leads me into what I suspect will be Netflix's more direct competition: Hulu. Do we have any idea when they're going to start adding the Fox content or Disney produced adult fare? I've seen a million articles on plus but only ever peeps about what's going to happen with Hulu
I think Netflix's most direct/dangerous competitor is actually HBO Max. They have a huge film and television library and are going for the same very wide scattershot of types of shows they're doing, like Netflix, but at a (likely) general higher quality standard and budget.

I agree Disney+ is more like a side-competitor rather than a direct one. You either like their brand stuff (Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, Disney proper) or don't. And most of their original content is going to be falling within that brand. The fact that it's quite a bit cheaper though could mean people subbing to it along with one of the other competitors could displace them from having Netflix. At least initially I expect people who get Disney+ will still maintain their Netflix account also.

Hulu is a bit more of an uncertainty in all regards because I don't think even Disney has decided exactly what they want to do with it. In the near term it's obviously going to get the more "adult" FOX library, but in terms of original content they've never been especially strong, and that doesn't seem to be changing any time super soon.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I think Netflix's most direct/dangerous competitor is actually HBO Max. They have a huge film and television library and are going for the same very wide scattershot of types of shows they're doing, like Netflix, but at a (likely) general higher quality standard and budget.

I agree Disney+ is more like a side-competitor rather than a direct one. You either like their brand stuff (Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, Disney proper) or don't. And most of their original content is going to be falling within that brand. The fact that it's quite a bit cheaper though could mean people subbing to it along with one of the other competitors could displace them from having Netflix. At least initially I expect people who get Disney+ will still maintain their Netflix account also.

Hulu is a bit more of an uncertainty in all regards because I don't think even Disney has decided exactly what they want to do with it. In the near term it's obviously going to get the more "adult" FOX library, but in terms of original content they've never been especially strong, and that doesn't seem to be changing any time super soon.
There may be a lot of families who are currently with Netflix who'll be signing up for Disney+ for the kids, then saving money by choosing to do without Netflix, or being more selective like 1 month here and there instead of being active all year.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There may be a lot of families who are currently with Netflix who'll be signing up for Disney+ for the kids, then saving money by choosing to do without Netflix, or being more selective like 1 month here and there instead of being active all year.
Sure, I think that some people will potentially do that. I don't think anyone regularly wanting a ton of new original content is going to be subbing solely to Disney+ though, because they just wouldn't be getting it.

Also, I think the number of people who actively do 1 month subs and cancel and sort of "cycle" their services is a pretty small and extremely active viewing group. Most people just like to do the annual sub and forget about it.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH

Wow! Congrats to NBC!

Judging from the 18-49 demo, I wasn't sure if it was going to be NBC or Fox who would win premiere week. Having live TV events like "The Voice," "The Masked Singer," and football multiple times a week certainly helped them both out.

For the overall viewership though, I thought it would've been CBS again as the winner. So I'm legitimately surprised that NBC won that too.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though Claws is ending, I'm glad it's getting another season. I think 4 is enough, and at least they have the time to plan out a nice ending hopefully.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah families are going to be huge for Disney and honestly a lot of those folks are too busy to juggle accounts. They just want a service that has a bunch of cartoons.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*clears space on DVR*

I remember when I used to get excited about all the new TV shows. Now why bother?
It's another reason why people are fleeing networks. Streaming services essentially guarantee a second season at least, unless there's literally 5 people watching. You just can't get invested in a show that might not even finish its first run.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017

I agree that Max is probably their biggest existential threat at this point. Although I do wish Disney would get on the ball with Hulu. They already have a huge catalog of older TV and movies that I would kill to see on Hulu right now and that I'm sure are too mature to end up on plus. It's just sitting there waiting to be capitalized on and they're not doing a thing
publicly that is. I'm sure they're working behind the scenes but it's taking far too long. They had plus up and running this quick there's no reason not to dump the fox back catalogue on to Hulu and reap the profits

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix's "problem" going forward will be competing with the backlogs of these services as more and more content gets pulled by people doing their own services. They just got Seinfeld for five years, but probably just lost Friends and The Office forever.

They have their original content, but the other services will only improve in that area and I'm not sure it's as big a draw as binging something like Friends for the average sub.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Final ratings for Monday night:

ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" and "The Good Doctor" adjusted down 0.1.
NBC's "The Voice" and "Bluff City Law" adjusted down 0.1.
Everything else remained the same.

Final-Bcast-2019-30-MON.png

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
*clears space on DVR*

I remember when I used to get excited about all the new TV shows. Now why bother?
It's another reason why people are fleeing networks. Streaming services essentially guarantee a second season at least, unless there's literally 5 people watching. You just can't get invested in a show that might not even finish its first run.
Shit couldn't even pull viewers as a summer soap with nothing else on. Nothing of value was lost.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Kevin Can Fuck Himself has a role for Erinn Hayes after the inspiration did her dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.