• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
What should they do when the show can't even hold the ratings of the shows before it? Maybe they should stop greenlighting these types of shows for a decade in the hope people care about them again.
Just feels like they produce them to check off a genre for the year without putting a substantial amount of effort or resources into making sure the final product is something that will get the ratings they're aiming for. Which inevitably leads to the show flopping, the network canceling it resulting in the plot ending with no resolution, and the niche audience that tuned in frustrated and apprehensive on tuning in to the new show replacing it's slot next year.

So yeah maybe they should stop green lighting these uninspired shows for network tv if they're gonna keep dumping unrealistic expectations on them.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Thursday night's ratings:

The CW's "Supernatural" premiered up 0.1 from its season 14 finale, while "Legacies" premiered in line with its season 1 finale.
CBS's "The Unicorn," "Carol's Second Act," and "Evil" fell 0.1 from last week. "Evil" looks like it's in dangerous territory right now.
NBC's "Perfect Harmony" and "Law and Order: SVU" also fell 0.1 from last week.
Fox's "Thursday Night Football" fell 0.6 from last week but still won the night by a very large margin (as football does).
Everything else held steady.

Fast-Demo-2019-Oct-10-THU.png

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, I didn't see that coming. It'd been sitting with HBO forever without a lot of movement.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
We have a lot of candidates for first cancellation. And this time, they may not even make it to 13 episodes. My money's on Sunnyside.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not wholly unprecedented (see: Star Trek Discovery's premiere airing on CBS in 2017), but still an interesting move on Disney's part

Makes a lot of sense to do. This one has a bit more uncertainty behind it, but in theory appeals to the audiences of all those channels. Could be a good motivator to draw them to Disney+
Imagine if they did this for The Mandalorian
They won't. It's basically the opposite situation. As the big budget/shiny first live action Star Wars series, It has a lot more value as a completely Disney+ exclusive. People will definitely sub to the service for it. Maybe not so for High School Musical, unless they get into it elsewhere first.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Final ratings for Thursday:

ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" adjusted up 0.1.
CBS's "Evil" also adjusted up 0.1, now getting out of the danger zone.
Fox's "Thursday Night Football" adjusted to a 4.8, now making it go up 0.4 from last week.

Everything else stayed the same.

Final-Bcast-2019-Oct-10-THU.png

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
WHAT

Given how massively successful Band of Brothers and The Pacific were for HBO, how did they manage to let this one slip?
Eh, I can totally buy that HBO crunched the numbers and found that spending some $250m on a miniseries wasn't a particularly good use of cash. I don't recall The Pacific setting the world on fire with ratings, and both that and Band of Brothers apparently brought in a lot of money in home video, which has died. This was probably also around the time HBO was getting a lot of pressure from above and potential sales/mergers were looming.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Started watching Luther finally, I did not expect a bit of Killing Eve dynamic in it, huh.

Well technically it would be Killing Eve that has a bit of a Luther dynamic, but you know what I mean.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, did Supernatural end?

This is the final season.

Eh, I can totally buy that HBO crunched the numbers and found that spending some $250m on a miniseries wasn't a particularly good use of cash. I don't recall The Pacific setting the world on fire with ratings, and both that and Band of Brothers apparently brought in a lot of money in home video, which has died. This was probably also around the time HBO was getting a lot of pressure from above and potential sales/mergers were looming.
Massive budget. I believe the number going around was $250 million. Most of the appeal to the first two was DVD sales (plus prestige) whereas these days they can't count on the DVDs

I guess we're lucky Amazon and Apple are willing to pony up the big bucks for these projects now that HBO has started to cheap the fuck out.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the final season.

I guess we're lucky Amazon and Apple are willing to pony up the big bucks for these projects now that HBO has started to cheap the fuck out.
I don't think HBO is cheaping out, they just are only putting this kind of money in projects they think they'll be able to profit off of now. Prestige alone isn't enough. Apple just doesn't give a fuck and has the money to throw around, thankfully for all of us.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The Pacific wasn't even that good, so HBO isn't really missing anything by letting this go.

All the money in the world can't make any of the Apple shows sound interesting.

The Pacific was great!

I don't think HBO is cheaping out, they just are only putting this kind of money in projects they think they'll be able to profit off of now. Prestige alone isn't enough. Apple just doesn't give a fuck and has the money to throw around, thankfully for all of us.

I don't see them putting $250 mil into anything that isn't Game of Thrones related at this point. Which is cheap, compared to Amazon and Apple tbh.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see them putting $250 mil into anything that isn't Game of Thrones related at this point. Which is cheap, compared to Amazon and Apple tbh.
its smart compared to amazon and apple
I definitely agree it is smart. It's good for consumers that Amazon and Apple are saying fuck it with the money and pumping huge budgets into certain projects, but it's not exactly wise.

HBO is still shelling out quite a bit of money as well, even if they don't have another show that has a budget as high as Masters of the Air or Lord of the Rings -- their genre slate over the next couple years is much higher in quantity and none of those shows are going to be low budget in the slightest.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Friday night's ratings:

The CW's "Charmed" and "Dynasty" premiered in line with their season finales back in May.
ABC's "Fresh Off the Boat" went down 0.1 from last week (and it wasn't a rerun! I don't know why SBD keeps marking it as such), while "20/20" went down 0.2.
CBS's "Blue Bloods" went up 0.1 from last week.
NBC's "Dateline" also went up 0.1 from last week.
Fox's "WWE Friday Night Smackdown" went down almost 0.5 from last week but still easily won the night.

Fast-Demo-2019-Oct-11-FRI.png

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna cry tears in my fish pond - in slow-motion even - if Legacies ever gets cancelled!

Such a surprisingly good show. Very well developed characters, and some great monsters and magic.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, there's a new adaptation of War of the Worlds set in the Edwardian period...

Between this and Sanditon, I have no idea what's happening with British TV at the moment with these seemingly unnecessary book adaptations. lol

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, there's a new adaptation of War of the Worlds set in the Edwardian period...

Between this and Sanditon, I have no idea what's happening with British TV at the moment with these seemingly unnecessary book adaptations. lol

They sell really well abroad. Don't really see what's especially unnecessary about these though. TWotW hasn't been done in it's original setting, and afaik Sanditon hasn't been done at all. Much better than another Pride and Prejudice.

BTW, there's another TWotW series coming too...

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
They sell really well abroad. Don't really see what's especially unnecessary about these though. TWotW hasn't been done in it's original setting, and afaik Sanditon hasn't been done at all. Much better than another Pride and Prejudice.

BTW, there's another TWotW series coming too...
It's more just that it's pretty random to adapt properties that I don't think really have cachet.

But then again, these are also "free" so maybe it doesn't matter that they're based on an IP I suppose... but an alien invasion thing doesn't really need the "branding" of War of the Worlds (or I don't see what the name brings in 2019 anyway) , and Sanditon is basically Jane Austen fan fiction... which you could do without actually using Sanditon and just have a generic period family drama instead.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
It's more just that it's pretty random to adapt properties that I don't think really have cachet.

But then again, these are also "free" so maybe it doesn't matter that they're based on an IP I suppose... but an alien invasion thing doesn't really need the "branding" of War of the Worlds (or I don't see what the name brings in 2019 anyway) , and Sanditon is basically Jane Austen fan fiction... which you could do without actually using Sanditon and just have a generic period family drama instead.

Why would you not use the Austen name to attract attention?

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Sunday night's ratings:

ABC's "America's Funniest Home Videos" went up 0.1, while "Kids Say the Darndest Things" went down 0.2 from last week.
CBS's "60 Minutes" is very inflated due to football, going up 1.3 from last week (lol). "God Friended Me" went up 0.2, and "Madam Secretary" went up 0.1. Expect them all to adjust down once finals are released.
NBC's football numbers will get greatly adjusted as well after finals roll in.
Fox's "The Simpsons" went down 1.3 from last week's football-inflated episode, but is only down 0.1 from its season premiere two weeks ago. "Bless the Harts" went down 0.6 from last week, but is only down 0.1 from two weeks ago. "Bob's Burgers" is down 0.3 from last week, but held steady from its season premiere. And "Family Guy" (I'm assuming that's "Family Guy" since SBD put "Local Programming" again...grr!) is down 0.4 from last week, but down 0.2 from its season premiere two weeks ago.
The CW's "Batwoman" went down 0.2 from last week, while "Supergirl" is down by 0.1.

Fast-Demo-2019-Oct-13-SUN.png

Status
Not open for further replies.