• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely looking forward to the Marvel series' on Disney+ and will be watching all of them. The only thing that disappoints me about them is they are only going to be (very) limited series. Would love to see a more traditional, multiple season series, even if it's only 8-10 episodes a season.
We'll see what happens. A lot of the time even things planned as limited series end up becoming more. When you're dealing with film actors who want to go do other things, it may be a bit more of a challenge, but when we're talking brand new characters where they may be casting unknowns (like Ms. Marvel or Moon Knight) there is no reason they actually have to stick to an 8 episode series, provided they are successful.

Even if all of them truly stay 8 episode limited series, we're talking about 2 - 3 of those a year, which is still a pretty decent output from the studio.

Oct 25, 2017
*sigh* Almost all of my shows going/starting in the crapper this year. At least I think. What is considered bad ratings now (I mean the main networks, not CW) with streaming and DVR factored in?

Are the color codes accurate on the chart? If so, I have a feeling I will be losing a lot of shows this year. :(
You would need to see Day 3 and Day 7 ratings especially with shows and ad platforms even saying *remember to set your DVRs ^_^*

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
We'll see what happens. A lot of the time even things planned as limited series end up becoming more. When you're dealing with film actors who want to go do other things, it may be a bit more of a challenge, but when we're talking brand new characters where they may be casting unknowns (like Ms. Marvel or Moon Knight) there is no reason they actually have to stick to an 8 episode series, provided they are successful.

Even if all of them truly stay 8 episode limited series, we're talking about 2 - 3 of those a year, which is still a pretty decent output from the studio.

From what I am hearing, they are all 6 episode (1 season) series.

I do understand these are bigger name actors, and as you said, they want to do other things, but if there is a continuing story to be told I would love for them to commit as much time as they are able. Even if it stays at 6 episode seasons, but have multiple seasons.

But as you said, we will see.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what I am hearing, they are all 6 episode (1 season) series.

I do understand these are bigger name actors, and as you said, they want to do other things, but if there is a continuing story to be told I would love for them to commit as much time as they are able. Even if it stays at 6 episode seasons, but have multiple seasons.

But as you said, we will see.
I had last heard they're all 8 episodes, but yes, limited series (ie, one and done). Though that may have changed at some point, I'm not sure. Logically though, they're thinking about these like they're MCU movies even if they're series, and those get sequels... so it would make sense for some of these series to also get sequels (ie, second seasons).

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
The Outpost isn't a CW show. It is a SyFy (international) show. The CW just broadcasts in the US, buying it from SyFy.
Although I have no clue why SyFy doesn't air it.

That makes even less sense on it being renewed with how quickly SyFy usually lowers their axe. Unless SyFy International is different in that regards.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Final ratings for FRIDAY NIGHT:

CBS's "Blue Bloods" adjusted down 0.1.
Everything else held steady.

Final-Bcast-2019-Oct-11-FRI.png

Final ratings for SUNDAY NIGHT:

ABC's "Kids Say the Darndest Things" adjusted up 0.1, while "Shark Tank" adjusted down 0.1.
CBS's night held steady from the preliminary numbers, surprisingly, considering the football game that aired before "60 Minutes."
Fox's "Family Guy" adjusted up 0.2, while everything else held steady.
The CW's night held steady as well.

Final-Bcast-2019-Oct-13-SUN.png

Final ratings for MONDAY NIGHT:

ABC's night adjusted down by 0.2. (I'm reading that there was a football game on right before in some markets, so that's likely what impacted the big adjustment.)
Everything else held steady.

Final-Bcast-2019-Oct-14-MON.png

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Amy Adams, Laura Dern to Produce HBO Drama
The Sharp Objects and Big Little Lies stars are among the executive producers of a drama series in development at the premium cable outlet based on the best-selling novel The Most Fun We Ever Had by Claire Lombardo.

The potential series is a multigenerational saga that spans half a century. The drama follows four sisters, each struggling to exist in the shadow of their parents' idyllic marriage and whose lives are complicated by the return of the son one of them gave up for adoption 15 years earlier.

The project comes from Adams and Stacy O'Neil's Bond Group Entertainment — which has a first-look deal at HBO — and Dern and Jayme Lemons' Jaywalker Pictures. All four will executive produce along with showrunner Anya Epstein (The Affair, In Treatment). Lombardo is adapting her novel and co-executive producing; Bond Group's Kate Clifford is co-producer.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting article on Apple TV+

7n1oTAQ.gif

Also, looks like See is getting a showrunner change too.

sources say the Jason Momoa sci-fi epic See will soon make a change at the top

Also, they apparently filmed the entirety of Vital Signs before deciding to shelve it indefinitely?!

Vital Signs, commissioned by Jimmy Iovine and created by Dr. Dre (the duo had sold Beats Electronics to Apple three years earlier) had secretly shot its entire first season. But with at least one orgy scene and heavy violence, it was deemed too explicit for the conservative sensibilities of Cook, per one source involved in the project, and it was shelved indefinitely. (Apple has never confirmed the show's existence.)

Why not just sell it to like Showtime or whatever? 🤔

Also, Graham Yost has apparently signed an overall deal with Apple

Graham Yost (Justified) and Simon Kinberg (X-Men) also quietly signed Apple overall deals

Sounds kinda bland but I will follow Queen Dern to the ends of the Earth!

Last edited:

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
THR said:
Sunnyside, co-created by and starring Kal Penn and executive produced by Mike Schur (The Good Place, Brooklyn Nine-Nine), has underperformed on air, drawing the smallest ratings of any first-year show on the big four networks thus far this season. After one more airing on Oct. 17, the network will shift the remainder of the show's run to NBC.com, the NBC app and other digital platforms — and in a somewhat unusual move, has ordered one additional episode to increase its total for the season to 11.
NBC is being REALLY nice to this show, despite it effectively being cancelled now. They must really want to keep Michael Schur around if they're ordering another episode. Either that, or Schur asked NBC for one more episode to wrap it all up.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
NBC is being REALLY nice to this show, despite it effectively being cancelled now. They must really want to keep Michael Schur around if they're ordering another episode. Either that, or Schur asked NBC for one more episode to wrap it all up.
Schur signed like a $100m 5-year overall with NBC earlier this year.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Boo, I quite liked Sunnyside. Though, to be fair, the subject matter was pretty heavy. Credit to Kal Penn for trying to push a politically left-wing show about immigrants onto mainstream TV, but, yeah... I wonder if it would've worked better as a 45 minute drama. Kal was pretty decent in House (from what I remember), and it would've given the cast and subject more breathing space.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that pretty much counts as a cancellation at this point. In which case, we really do need to get a new thread up with a new title. Really surprised at the fact that its getting an extra episode. The show does seem like it can wrap its story up in a single season though. I was watching it just cause it was on, I really doubt I'll be chasing that show onto the website/app/wherever. Would have preferred AP Bio in that slot anyhow.

"Cloudy skies for Sunnyside" or something like that. We have clever people in here who can think of something.

Boo, I quite liked Sunnyside. Though, to be fair, the subject matter was pretty heavy. Credit to Kal Penn for trying to push a politically left-wing show about immigrants onto mainstream TV, but, yeah... I wonder if it would've worked better as a 45 minute drama. Kal was pretty decent in House (from what I remember), and it would've given the cast and subject more breathing space.
I liked what it was trying to do but it really just never felt funny to me. I like a few of the actors themselves but didn't really care about any of the characters.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Tuesday night's ratings:

The CW's "Arrow" returns up 0.1 from its season 7 finale, and in line with how the show was performing last season. "The Flash," however, went down 0.1 from last week.
ABC's "The Conners," "Bless This Mess," and "Black-ish" all went down 0.1 from last week.
CBS's "FBI" went up 0.1 from last week.
NBC's "The Voice" went down 0.2 from last week, while "This is Us" went down 0.1.
Fox's lineup held steady from last week.

Fast-Demo-2019-Oct-15-TUE.png

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Come on why is their no new thread for 2019-2020 season. This thread is to big. Someone start a new one.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Does Fox want Empire to directly compete with blackish or something? It seems like they put the two against each other its whole run.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apple can weather the losses, but I am really curious how many failures they're going to allow before reconsidering being in this business. I just can't see any of their first slate of shows being successful. And the prospect of paying for Apple TV+ directly against Disney+ this November seems like an already lost battle. But I suppose we'll see what happens.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Final ratings for Tuesday night:

ABC's "Mixed-ish" adjusted down 0.1.
Everything else stayed the same from this morning.

Final-Bcast-2019-Oct-15-TUE.png

Also, ratings for last night's CNN Democratic Debate are in. They're far down to 8.3 total million viewers now, however, this does not include the 9.2 total million live streams on CNN and NYT's websites, as well as Facebook. (Hulu also aired a livestream of it but isn't counted for some strange reason.)

Deadline said:
Snaring 8.3 million viewers, the CNN and New York Times hosted shindig was the second least watched debate so far.

Last night's three-hour run on the Jeff Zucker-led outlet was down 22% from the last time CNN hosted a Dems debate back on July 31 in what was Night 2 of a two-part event. In fact, the only debate to do worse than last night and its record number of candidates was the first night of the last CNN aired debate on July 30.

In the news demo of Adults 25-54, last night's 8-11 PM ET the gathering had 2.4 million viewers, which is a 20% drop from the last CNN fronted debate. Digitally, the debate had an impressive 9.2 million live streams, drawing from the CNN site, the NYT site and Facebook.

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be interesting to see what (if anything) is going to happen to all the low-mid budget genre series once people start getting used to seeing the big $$$ up on their TV screens. Disney, Apple, Netflix, and Amazon are all spending unreal sums on their series and very few other channels/networks/services are going to be able to compete.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be interesting to see what (if anything) is going to happen to all the low-mid budget genre series once people start getting used to seeing the big $$$ up on their TV screens. Disney, Apple, Netflix, and Amazon are all spending unreal sums on their series and very few other channels/networks/services are going to be able to compete.
I don't even think it's sustainable for those companies in the long run. The new streaming services are using them as most leaders to attract users but in a few years I fully expect budgets on most series to be slashed.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the market for lower budget or mid budget television is going to disappear. Unlike film, there aren't a limited number of screens in the theatre that the blockbuster behemoths need to hog.

HBO Max, for example, seems to be investing in plenty of these kinds of shows along with the big expensive ones (like Dune). Current HBO does the same thing, which is how we get stuff like Righteous Gemstones and Succession. Amazon and Netflix also are balancing between more expensive fare like Lost in Space, Carnival Row, and Altered Carbon and the cheaper stuff like You, Fleabag, Bosch, or Sex Education. And I think places like FX and USA are going to keep trucking along doing exactly what they've been doing.

The real crazy stuff is like, as we just talked about a couple days ago, Apple spending a ridiculous budget on what should otherwise be a low-mid budget show. Part of why that is crazy is because the money they are pumping into it is not going to somehow make people more attracted to it vs much lower budget programs in the same vein.

If anything is "hurt" by this it will probably be Toronto-made Syfy channel level stuff, and Network stuff. But I think it's clear that stuff is already hurting on its own.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the market for lower budget or mid budget television is going to disappear. Unlike film, there aren't a limited number of screens in the theatre that the blockbuster behemoths need to hog.

If anything is "hurt" by this it will probably be Toronto-made Syfy channel level stuff, and Network stuff. But I think it's clear that stuff is already hurting on its own.

I was more wondering about, like, say, CW superhero shows still being attractive to audiences once they get a taste of what "real" superhero TV looks like. Or as you mentioned, Syfy's sci fi/space offerings or whatever.

Like, there aren't a limited number of screens, but there are only so many hours in a day and I think people are going to start being a lot more selective when these big $$$ genre series start rolling in.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
I was more wondering about, like, say, CW superhero shows still being attractive to audiences once they get a taste of what "real" superhero TV looks like. Or as you mentioned, Syfy's sci fi/space offerings or whatever.

Like, there aren't a limited number of screens, but there are only so many hours in a day and I think people are going to start being a lot more selective when these big $$$ genre series start rolling in.

That would be a true shame seeing that I can't imagine many of these big budget shows will end up being better than the CW genre stuff (or hell even some of the SyFy stuff). In fact I'm pretty confident that most of them will be significantly worse.

I paid for the three years of Disney+ deal since it was so cheap, so I hope that the stuff I'm interested in on it is good, but I just don't see any reason to be optimistic at this point.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sure, when it comes to genre stuff I think there is absolutely going to be a drain/inability to compete with super-sized budgeted shows. Why watch something like The Outpost or Killjoys when you could watch things with much higher production values like Carnival Row or Lost in Space? To say nothing of the absolute deluge of even bigger mega-budget genre stuff coming down the pipe like Lord of the Rings and the various Star Wars shows.

I do think Syfy is not long for this world. They have sort of been moving away from big scripted shows in general, picking up less and less (and with smaller budgets), and cancelling more. I don't really know where they go from here other than non-existence. Where do they fit into Comcast's long term plans now that the "Peacock" streaming service is rolling out? I imagine most shows that would go to them are going to end up there instead, likely with better budgets to boot. Not to mention there were already some recent science fiction shows like Colony and Mr Robot that went to sister-channel USA instead.

CW is a bit of a more complex issue. I do think HBO Max and whatever shows they make for that (including continuing ones like Doom Patrol) is going to push out and shutter the CWverse fairly quickly (like, in 3ish years, assuming they really invest in that kind of programming). The ratings for these on CW have dwindled continually down, and some are really burning to the wick at this point. I mean, those Arrow premiere numbers... ouch.

I think CW is going to have to probably go through another re-branding of some sort. They basically gave themselves entirely to Berlanti's DC machine. When that goes away, what do they become? I honestly have no idea. The fact that it is a joint-custody case between Warner Bros and CBS adds a further wrinkle (Which is then further wrinkled with the looming CBS/Viacom remerger).

Warner Bros is now making HBO Max as a brand new outlet for content also means they will likely be less invested in trying to really push things on that channel.

CBS already exists, so the need to have a second broadcast network which has routinely been the red-headed stepchild is also not very high. Recently they have been using it to toss junk they thought wasn't good enough for the main network (see: the Walker Texas Ranger reboot). And they of course also have CBS AA, whose future is also in doubt and is somewhat riding on certain upcoming programming... and will also likely become something different if and when the Viacom merger happens.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
CW is a bit of a more complex issue. I do think HBO Max and whatever shows they make for that (including continuing ones like Doom Patrol) is going to push out and shutter the CWverse fairly quickly (like, in 3ish years, assuming they really invest in that kind of programming). The ratings for these on CW have dwindled continually down, and some are really burning to the wick at this point. I mean, those Arrow premiere numbers... ouch.
the CW shows do huge numbers on streaming/international syndication. their live numbers are more or less pointless and not worth making decisions on. they execs sure don't.

they're pulling them from Netflix to help drive traffic to HBO Max anyway

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the CW shows do huge numbers on streaming/international syndication. their live numbers are more or less pointless and not worth making decisions on. they execs sure don't.

they're pulling them from Netflix to help drive traffic to HBO Max anyway
For now, sure. But that is somewhat of a consolation prize. And yeah, once bigger budgeted superhero shows start rolling out, people are going to want to watch those over the CW stuff. And whether you're a fan of DC or Marvel, that stuff is ultimately only going to be on HBO Max or Disney+ respectively. Which leaves other networks/streamers struggling for more indie stuff in the superhero genre. Amazon was very smart to hit now with something like The Boys before the well known IP really takes off.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
For now, sure. But that is somewhat of a consolation prize. And yeah, once bigger budgeted superhero shows start rolling out, people are going to want to watch those over the CW stuff. And whether you're a fan of DC or Marvel, that stuff is ultimately only going to be on HBO Max or Disney+ respectively. Which leaves other networks/streamers struggling for more indie stuff in the superhero genre. Amazon was very smart to hit now with something like The Boys before the well known IP really takes off.
eh? You think people are going to drop CW quality for bigger/better shows? That's what people said about Marvel Netflix and that entire universe came and went before a single CW show got cancelled lol. As far as Disney+ goes, that's a very different ballpark (miniseries length vs full feature). I like the DC Universe stuff but you think Doom Patrol is going to pull bigger numbers on HBO Max than Flash? Nah.

Big budget chasing doesn't always work. I'm sure someone's got numbers but I was under the impression it's a lot more miss than hit. The CW model works because they get a lot more content out of a smaller investment, and there's still a market for that style of content. Like 30 episodes of the CW vs. the cost of the Mandalorian or Marvel+ shows.

Plus again, HBO Max will be the home of the CW content. They purposely left a very sweet Netflix deal where those shows were some of their top performers. Will The CW survive forever? Of course not, I agree it's in a precarious position. But the content pipeline, the big shows, the shared universe etc won't stop because well, trashy low budget teen fair works. The CW basically exists to churn out this stuff until it's self sufficient with streaming.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
eh? You think people are going to drop CW quality for bigger/better shows? That's what people said about Marvel Netflix and that entire universe came and went before a single CW show got cancelled lol. As far as Disney+ goes, that's a very different ballpark (miniseries length vs full feature). I like the DC Universe stuff but you think Doom Patrol is going to pull bigger numbers on HBO Max than Flash? Nah.

Big budget chasing doesn't always work. I'm sure someone's got numbers but I was under the impression it's a lot more miss than hit. The CW model works because they get a lot more content out of a smaller investment, and there's still a market for that style of content. Like 30 episodes of the CW vs. the cost of the Mandalorian or Marvel+ shows.

Plus again, HBO Max will be the home of the CW content. They purposely left a very sweet Netflix deal where those shows were some of their top performers. Will The CW survive forever? Of course not, I agree it's in a precarious position. But the content pipeline, the big shows, the shared universe etc won't stop because well, trashy low budget teen fair works. The CW basically exists to churn out this stuff until it's self sufficient with streaming.

CW feels like they're killing it really, they're pumping out content and adding more shows. A big part of their success is from their app and seed. Felt like they went digital a lot earlier than other big networks. Being able to watch their shows the day after they air on either my laptop or phone was a gamechanger.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, I think they will. It's already been happening in a very broad sense as people largely circle the streaming and cable programs over network ones. And you already see people being wowed by great production values on not so great shows (like Altered Carbon or Carnival Row). It has just been lagging a bit in the superhero genre specifically.

I'm not really interested in getting into the Marvel vs DC fanboy wars, but despite what either "side" may have been trying to claim or admit, the Marvel Netflix stuff and Arrowverse stuff is pretty close to each other in both quality and scope/budget level. The main difference (apart from the lower episode order for the Netflix Marvel stuff) is the tone between the two.

I haven't seen a single second of Doom Patrol so can't really speak to anything about it, except that it is going to be on HBO Max -- that is all I was really mentioning it for. What I am talking about though is whatever DC's response to Marvel Studios will be on HBO MAX, to the Disney+ series. And I think there definitely will be one.

I don't think the limited series element really matters, or bothers that many people. Especially when they will be releasing so many of them, and most people in for one will likely be in for all of them.

A market does exist for these 22+ episode series (especially, specifically, insatiable fans), but I think most people enjoy the general quality (in all aspects) improvements that come with a shorter episode order that has more time to be focused on, and is usually completely written before production begins. And due to that, the old 20+ episode market is quickly shrinking. People have largely accepted the 8 - 13 episode model as the new standard across the board. It just makes for better TV, and allows those making the shows to work on more things in a year as well.

As far as "trashy low buget teen fair" goes, of course that will also exist on HBO Max, just like it currently does on the other streaming services. Absolutely all of the CW stuff will be on HBO Max. But there is also going to be a sort of transitional period. What does the landscape look like a few years into HBO Max's existence? I'm not really sure yet. But I don't see the point of keeping several other things outside of that apparatus going. Comcast/Universal is going to have to confront the same thing with their Peacock service. In the age of cable it made sense to have several different channels for all their various type of content. With more and more cord cutters and everyone consolidating, it now makes more sense to have all of their stuff in one place.

Regardless of anything else, the Arrowverse is already far past its prime, and its peak. Now that Arrow itself is finally coming to an end, I suspect the whole thing will come crumbling down before too long. Batwoman's anemic premiere even kind of indicates this. A few years ago they could just launch another one of these and it would succeed no problem. Like I said, I expect everything to still run for a few more years, but all of these shows are aging and they aren't sustainable forever. Once this whole thing ends and the Marvel Disney+ stuff is out there, I don't think people are going to be as accepting or even wanting shows like the Arrowverse ones anymore. Time moves on, and so do the type of shows that are made. Much in the same way they wouldn't currently make a show like Lois & Clark, or going back further, the old Wonder Woman show.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weren't the last three seasons essentially Lois and Clark 2.0, and generally after the success of Superdad in the comics a Lois and Clark show is probably the thing I've seen the fandom want the most from DC Universe/HBO Max considering the character in limbo on the film side and Metroplois got shuttered.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
High-budget streaming shows could hurt the lower budget stuff, but they can't offer the same amount of content - we'll be getting one short Marvel show at a time - and the budgets will drop. It is not like Netflix keeps delivering high budget stuff every month. Apple, Disney will also quickly stop. Any effect would be short-lived.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weren't the last three seasons essentially Lois and Clark 2.0, and generally after the success of Superdad in the comics a Lois and Clark show is probably the thing I've seen the fandom want the most from DC Universe/HBO Max considering the character in limbo on the film side and Metroplois got shuttered.
Not sure what this means. Last three seasons of what? The Arrowverse shows are all made in a distinctly different way from how Lois & Clark was made in the 90s. They're even made in a pretty different way from Smallville only last decade, although that one is arguably the precursor of the current formula in quite a few ways.
High-budget streaming shows could hurt the lower budget stuff, but they can't offer the same amount of content - we'll be getting one short Marvel show at a time - and the budgets will drop. It is not like Netflix keeps delivering high budget stuff every month. Apple, Disney will also quickly stop. Any effect would be short-lived.
How exactly are they going to stop? They've each outlined/greenlit at least 3 years of tons of high budget content.

None of the services need to release a super big thing every month, that is what the deluge of lower budget stuff is for. Filling those gaps between the super big shows, of which each service will have 4-5 (at least) a year. Also, consider that Disney+ is going with the weekly release model, not the binge model -- which will help some things. We don't know if HBO Max is doing the same yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.