• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
My boyfriend says that all the time too, and ever since he first started saying it, it's like my eyes have been opened to how many shows are so good because they're only 3 seasons long ("Happy Endings," "Arrested Development" before it was revived, and now "One Day at a Time" come to mind) or start to get bad shortly after.

I'd still give anything for a Happy Endings revival.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Wednesday night's ratings. I really thought that Riverdale would see an uptick because of Luke Perry but that hasn't happened at all:

Fast-Demo-2019-Mar-20.WED_.png

Oh Schitt
OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'The Dark Tower' Casts Sam Strike As Gunslinger Roland Deschain, Plus Jasper Pääkkönen As Amazon Nears Pilot Order
Amazon's adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower book series has found its Gunslinger. Sam Strike (Nightflyers) has been cast as the lead, Roland Deschain, in the project, which I hear is nearing a formal pilot order at the streaming platform.

Jasper Pääkkönen (Vikings, BlacKkKlansman) will co-star in the drama, from executive producer/showrunner Glen Mazzara and MRC. The project had had a blinking green light for a couple of months, with casting quietly underway. It had been in development at Amazon for almost a year.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Schitt's Creek ending is a good move, going out on top!

Amazon is consuming my interest more and more with their line-up, they are getting really good at having something every month of interest. It may not be a constant weekly bombardment like Netflix, but there's always something to check out.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Glad Schitt's Creek is ending. It's still fantastic, but I don't need it to last forever. Six seasons of anything is more than enough.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Recode: Apple's plans for its new TV service: Sell other people's TV services
After years of circling the TV business, Apple is finally ready to make its big splash: On Monday it will unveil its new video strategy, along with some of the new big-budget TV shows it is funding itself.

One thing Apple won't do is unveil a serious competitor to Netflix, Hulu, Disney, or any other entertainment giant trying to sell streaming video subscriptions to consumers.

Instead, Apple's main focus — at least for now — will be helping helping other people sell streaming video subscriptions, and taking a cut of the transaction. Apple may also sell its own shows, at least as part of a bundle of other services. But for now, Apple's original shows and movies should be considered very expensive giveaways, not the core product.

That is much less exciting than "Apple Takes on Netflix in the Streaming Wars," but it is an accurate description. Even worse for people interested in exciting narratives: Apple has already been helping people sell video subscriptions and taking a cut of the transaction for years.

The difference, say people who've talked to Apple about its plans, is that instead of selling TV subscription apps surrounded by millions of other apps in its main app store, Apple plans on making a new storefront that's much more prominent for those who use Apple TV boxes and other Apple hardware. It will also be able to offer its own bundles — for instance, it could offer a package of HBO, Showtime, and Starz at a price that's lower than you'd pay for each pay TV service on its own.
Yes, Apple may be spending $2 billion a year on dozens of shows, which feature participation from brand names like Reese Witherspoon, Steven Spielberg, and JJ Abrams. And yes, it may even sell a subscription to those shows to people who use the service on other company's hardware, like Samsung TVs.

But Apple's partners believe Apple's primary plan is to use the shows as added value giveaways, either to people who own Apple phones and other devices or to people who buy some of the other services it will roll out Monday.

That makes sense. Because while $2 billion a year is a lot of money, it's not much compared to the $10 billion a year Netflix says it will spend on programming this year.

And, crucially, Apple will launch from a standing start: Those new shows will be the only shows Apple has to offer, because it doesn't have a library of existing stuff, like Hulu and Netflix. And WarnerMedia and Disney will be drawing from their own giant catalog of movies and TV shows when they launch their own subscription services later this year.

Apple could certainly license a lot of other stuff if it wanted to — or just purchase the entertainment companies outright that own that stuff. (In the past, for instance, Apple had briefly discussed buying Time Warner, primarily to get its hands on HBO.) But right now, Apple's strategy seems to be letting other streamers fight each other while it collects rent from all of them.

Guess we'll find out on Monday...

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
"Nears pilot order"... I mean it's cute that we still pretend it's gonna happen.
Oh wow. That would be an interesting strategy if it checks out. But uh, spending all that money just to be a middleman seems like a dumb thing to do for OTT.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
"Nears pilot order"... I mean it's cute that we still pretend it's gonna happen.

Oh wow. That would be an interesting strategy if it checks out. But uh, spending all that money just to be a middleman seems like a dumb thing to do for OTT.
I'm going to guess that's just the short term strategy.

Also lol at the dark tower. I'd love a good adaptation but I don't ever seeing happening

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Shame, Schitt's Creek was pretty great, but at least it won't outstay its welcome.

Apple is so confused about why it's bothering to produce content.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Finally finished Titans. Man this show is damn frustrating to watch. Dick is such an unlikable protagonist and the whole season is just full on introductions and build-ups without any payoff.

And my god this show had the worst finale ever. Who the hell thought ending the season with a dream world episode is a good idea?

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
makes sense for the home box office

ha!

You're just starting it? That is a great show. So many classic hilarious and cringe moments.

Yeah. I want to try and make my way through the remaining "big" HBO shows of the past that I haven't seen yet (The Wire, In Treatment, maybe Sex and the City but we'll see how that goes) and I decided to start with Curb because it looks a bit more manageable.

this was before HD became standard no? anyway enjoy this show its one of the GOATs

It was, but Oz, The Sopranos, etc. didn't look like that. I guess they're just going for like a docu series kinda vibe?

I'd still give anything for a Happy Endings revival.

After all the underwhelming revivals of the past few years? Maybe it's for the best that it stays dead.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ha!
Yeah. I want to try and make my way through the remaining "big" HBO shows of the past that I haven't seen yet (The Wire, In Treatment, maybe Sex and the City but we'll see how that goes) and I decided to start with Curb because it looks a bit more manageable.
In Treatment is amazing and often forgtten. Be sure to watch it in the weekly order and not "all one character at once" or something else some stupid site has assuredly done. Vital.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
ha!

It was, but Oz, The Sopranos, etc. didn't look like that. I guess they're just going for like a docu series kinda vibe?

After all the underwhelming revivals of the past few years? Maybe it's for the best that it stays dead.
Yes because I've wanted it every year since it died

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Quite vexed that schitt's ending
Took me forever to finally find something i love watching, after parks and rec ended
Gonna miss seeing that button face Patrick, and everyone else

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
When you get to The Wire, the first 3 seasons are amazing. The last 2 don't reach the same highs. Each of the 5 seasons has its own major focus (drugs, ports, politics, schools, newspapers), and some characters stay the distance, but the season 4 and 5 settings aren't as compelling and also some major story arcs wrap up in season 3. Just suggesting that depending on your time and interest level, you may want to stop after 3.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
When you get to The Wire, the first 3 seasons are amazing. The last 2 don't reach the same highs. Each of the 5 seasons has its own major focus (drugs, ports, politics, schools, newspapers), and some characters stay the distance, but the season 4 and 5 settings aren't as compelling and also some major story arcs wrap up in season 3. Just suggesting that depending on your time and interest level, you may want to stop after 3.
Wow, I've never really seen this sentiment. Most people I talk to consider the 4th season the greatest high the series reached. The 2nd season is usually considered the lowest.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Wow, I've never really seen this sentiment. Most people I talk to consider the 4th season the greatest high the series reached. The 2nd season is usually considered the lowest.
I've never heard that about S4, but that's fine, not going to argue it. Basically for me the show ended with
Stringer Bell

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Seasons 4 and 5 of The Wire are my faves. I usually see Season 4 listed as one of the best and parts of S5 noted as disappointing.

Also In Treatment is one of my favorite HBO series alongside SFU, Enlightened, Big Love and Carnivale. I enjoyed Barry S1 a lot, too. I'd really like to see some of the other versions of In Treatment, like the Japanese remake.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I was like did my DVR mess up or something why was BigBang on before Price is Right when Lets Make a Deal is usually on before it....but then I was like oh sportsball changes programming except TPIR!?

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Chime in supporting season 4. Going into it I thought I'd hate the focus on schools but it was the best season. And devastating

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks, but I'm gonna watch the whole thing! :O

my favorite HBO series alongside SFU, Enlightened, Big Love and Carnivale.

this flawless taste. i cant

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I've never heard that about S4, but that's fine, not going to argue it. Basically for me the show ended with
Stringer Bell
Uh yeah S4 is widely considered the best, with S3 behind it. If you really hate kids you might not like S4 but they were even good actors. Right there on wiki:
The fourth season of The Wire has been widely hailed as one of the greatest seasons of television ever produced. It is listed as one of the highest rated individual TV seasons of all time on Metacritic with a score of 98 out of 100 based on 21 critics—including 17 perfect score reviews.

Nov 1, 2017
Even season 5, while not as good as the others, is still a fucking incredible season of tv with a brilliant ending. Telling somebody to skip any season of The Wire is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.