• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Homecoming: Janelle Monáe to Succeed Julia Roberts in Season 2
Actress-singer-songwriter Janelle Monáe (Moonlight, Hidden Figures) has been tapped to succeed Julia Roberts in Season 2 of Amazon's Homecoming, TVLine has learned.

Monáe plays a tenacious woman who finds herself floating in a canoe, with no memory of how she got there — or even who she is.

As previously reported, Roberts, who never intended to star beyond the show's first season, will remain on board as an executive producer alongside showrunner Sam Esmail. The second season is expected to deviate wildly from the podcast on which it is based. It is unknown who, if anyone from Homecoming's Season 1 cast — including Stephan James, Bobby Cannavale, Shea Whigham, Alex Karpovsky and Sissy Spacek — will return for Season 2.
Homecoming Season 2, production on which gets underway later this summer, is slated to debut on Amazon in 2020.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamnit, Cornballer. I was just about to post that.

Anyway, if you're wondering what known sex pest and bad decision-maker Roy Price is doing now, THR has an update buried in a column with how restaurants deal with those who've been #MeToo'd:

Roy Price, the ousted former head of Amazon Studios, has become an art dealer out of a Hong Kong office on the same street as the famous dim sum restaurant Luk Yu. Even there, though, he should have it delivered.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'Big Little Lies' Goes Out Large With Season 2 Finale Viewership
The seventh episode of BLL's second season snared a total of 3.1 million viewers. Over linear airings, as well as HBO Go and HBO Now, that's the best the SoCal-set series has ever done. The July 21 episode tops the previous all-time high of July 7's "Kill Me" episode and its audience of 2.8 million over multiple platforms.

In addition, and on all those platforms, the Season 2 finale is up 19% over the Season 1 BLL ender of April 2, 2017.

Looking just at linear viewers, the Season 2 ender drew 1.98 million sets of eyeballs, also a series high. That's a 6.4% bounce over the "You Get What You Need" Season 1 finale, which was the previous linear best for Big Little Lies.

Overall, the second season of Big Little Lies has averaged 10 million viewers per episode in gross audience. That's an 18% uptick from the average for Season 1- and that's real drama.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017

I just can't unsee Jonah Ryan, lol

lfa_101_ab_0576r.jpg

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
NOS4A2 renewed for season 2 by AMC

Not a lot of people here watched it but I thought it was really solid. I'm looking forward to season 2.

Also, interesting wording from the showrunner here:

"the rest of the novel" suggests that season 2 will cover, well, the rest of the novel and may be the last season. The first season covered roughly 1/3 of the book, so I had assumed there would be 3 seasons total, but maybe they decided not to stretch it out so much.
I need to watch the last couple episodes but I've really liked it so far.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm probably in the minority here but I hope they are still working on that Grimm spinoff series they talked about last October. Was thinking we would hear something (good or bad) at Comic Con but we did not.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The huge bombshell in Australian TV today (yesterday??) was that the Masterchef hosts all quit right before the finale aired. One of the chefs was in trouble for underpaying his restaurant staff anyway, but apparently they all asked for money. It's pretty wacky.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The huge bombshell in Australian TV today (yesterday??) was that the Masterchef hosts all quit right before the finale aired. One of the chefs was in trouble for underpaying his restaurant staff anyway, but apparently they all asked for money. It's pretty wacky.
OH WHAT???

MATT, GEORGE, AND GARY WERE THE HEART OF THE SHOW. My sister and I routinely mourn how American cooking reality TV doesn't have the same level of warmth and heart as MasterChef AU. It was a really gentle show, where the chefs never had any forced drama and they just focused on improving their skills. Hopefully, whoever the new hosts as well maintain that atmosphere.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
OH WHAT???

MATT, GEORGE, AND GARY WERE THE HEART OF THE SHOW. My sister and I routinely mourn how American cooking reality TV doesn't have the same level of warmth and heart as MasterChef AU. It was a really gentle show, where the chefs never had any forced drama and they just focused on improving their skills. Hopefully, whoever the new hosts as well maintain that atmosphere.

Yeah, it's massive news (for Australia lol):

This season they brought back previous winners to be guest judges, which may have been a convenient way to audition potential hosts for next year. I don't know if you need the dynamic of a "stakehouse guy, a haute cuisine smearing sauces guy, and a critic" anymore.
And I guess the American version has churned over hosts year after year at this point.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I remember hating Smash at first and then enjoying it with some family members. But the thing I remember most vividly was hating them singing "Under Pressure" using the whole cast

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
How the hell is Pandora getting more views than the 100 yet have lower rating score? The numbers are too low to see where the 100 has the advantage.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
How the hell is Pandora getting more views than the 100 yet have lower rating score? The numbers are too low to see where the 100 has the advantage.
How does Pandora get any views at all is the real question here. I made it half-way through the first episode before it broke me. And I consider that a great accomplishment to make it that far.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' TV Series In Works At Hulu From Carlton Cuse & Jason Fuchs
Douglas Adams' comedy sci-fi classic The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is headed to American television. I have learned that Hulu is developing a TV series adaptation of the novels from prolific showrunner Carlton Cuse (Lost, Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, Locke & Key) and feature writer Jason Fuchs (Wonder Woman, Ice Age: Continental Drift). The project hails from ABC Signature, the cable/streaming division of ABC Studios where Cuse and his Genre Arts production company are under an overall deal.

Cuse and Fuchs, both fans of the iconic title, will write and executive produce the proposed series, now in development at Hulu via ABC Signature and Cuse' Gewnre Arts. Disney owns the Hitchhiker's Guide IP; the studio produced the 2005 star-studded feature adaptation, in which Arthur was played by Martin Freeman. (The cast also included Sam Rockwell, Mos Def, Zooey Deschanel, Bill Nighy, John Malkovich, Stephen Fry and Alan Rickman.)

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I remember hating Smash at first and then enjoying it with some family members. But the thing I remember most vividly was hating them singing "Under Pressure" using the whole cast
I loved the pilot and REALLY wanted to like the show but I remember it immediately gave Debra Messing a stupid adoption storyline and horing family drama, I hated the ridiculous assistant villain amd the worst thing was that the show tried to convince the audience that for some inane reason Katherine McPhee was the better choice for Marilyn, it was fucking ridiculous, Megan Hilty is the better singer, better actress, has way more charisma and already looks like Marylin before she's even in costume, IT WAS SO STUPID. If the story had been that McPhee's character got the part due to nepotism or because she was played a famous actress and the show needed a name or whatever it would have been fine but they wanted me to believe that thos completely average singer was somehow the perfect choice because she had ... what? Oh, and they got Anjelica Huston and completely wasted her.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the pilot and REALLY wanted to like the show but I remember it immediately gave Debra Messing a stupid adoption storyline and horing family drama, I hated the ridiculous assistant villain amd the worst thing was that the show tried to convince the audience that for some inane reason Katherine McPhee was the better choice for Marilyn, it was fucking ridiculous, Megan Hilty is the better singer, better actress, has way more charisma and already looks like Marylin before she's even in costume, IT WAS SO STUPID. If the story had been that McPhee's character got the part due to nepotism or because she was played a famous actress and the show needed a name or whatever it would have been fine but they wanted me to believe that thos completely average singer was somehow the perfect choice because she had ... what? Oh, and they got Anjelica Huston and completely wasted her.
I didn't consider a lot of this when you are watching but I have to say you are right. Especially in regards to McPhee and Hilty and how they could have used a different storyline to have them compete with each other.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have all the context for that tweet, but, yeah, doesn't sound great for Cinemax. Hope someone follows up with a few more quotes and some analysis.

"Decoupled from HBO" sounds ominous, though I suppose he could have just meant they would start differentiating them in their financial reports and whatnot. Still, they've fumbled the non-Skinemax Cinemax in practically every way other than the actual shows that it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to throw in the towel in the next couple years.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
"Decoupled from HBO" sounds ominous, though I suppose he could have just meant they would start differentiating them in their financial reports and whatnot. Still, they've fumbled the non-Skinemax Cinemax in practically every way other than the actual shows that it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to throw in the towel in the next couple years.
I saw another tweet from someone there that said Cinemax is being dropped from some services, which has led to the decline in their sub numbers.

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me if they folded it into HBO and gave up on the brand sometime soon.
Seems reasonable. I was worried that they'd shoot for something ridiculous but that's not too much of a ramp up just yet.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cinemax is likely just going to be rolled into HBO Max and cease to be a separate cable channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.