• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Tuca and Bertie a lot. That's a bummer.

Edit: They're looking for a new place for it but probably not something worth betting on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize it was TCA season again.
lmao, same. It always sneaks up on me and then all of a sudden there is just TV NEWS everywhere.
ruh roh, sounds like trouble for Cinemax

:(
The "reboot" of Cinemax ended up being half assed as hell and it's not like they are announcing a tonne of shows for it either. The best hope for the Cinemax brand is if Warner are going to keep it alive as a sub-channel/branding for HBO MAXimus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next. (no I very much haven't tired of making fun of that dumb name yet)

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

So is His Dark Materials only 2 seasons or are they just doing 2 seasons to start with? I haven't been following development that closely.
The only thing that has been officially confirmed is that the first season is eight episodes and covers the first book.
Nevermind:
"Largely it's one book per season," Thorne told reporters. "There are a few treats I've stolen from future books that I've tried to infuse the [first] season with. To give that away would be to give away some quite big secrets, so I can't quite do that here. The whole thing was looking at the whole series, three books, and go... 'How can we celebrate them in the best possible way?' And sometimes that celebration involved moving certain elements forward."

Also (from the Deadline article), Jack Thorne is a mad man:
Thorne admitted that he wrote several dozens drafts for the first episode of the show, which is set to launch on HBO in October. "We wrote papers to ourselves about all the different ideas in the show. We wanted to do a Ph.D. in Phillip Pullman and we tried to do a Ph.D. in His Dark Materials. I wrote 46 drafts of episode one in order to find a way to tell this story as elegantly as possible.
(casual reminder that in this year alone he also has: a TV show starring that aired earlier this year on channel 4, 2 movies that open towards awards season, and also a play that opened earlier this summer because sure why not.)

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
JJ probably fired her for not embracing whatever dumb mystery boxes he wrote into his pilot.

So is His Dark Materials only 2 seasons or are they just doing 2 seasons to start with? I haven't been following development that closely.
I thought there were quotes today about aiming for one season per book and it's a trilogy.
Reading the article, sounds like it was a 2 season initial order with roughly one book per season. Each season is 8 episodes, and the order helped with managing the ages of the child actors.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
It's a real shame Tuca & Bertie already got cancelled. Haven't watched it myself but it sounds really good and resonates with so many women of my generation. Naturally Netflix had to cancel it.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

2 Season commitment, but with one book per season it is meant to be a three season show. So I can't imagine them not doing all of it unless the first season really bombs (which I highly doubt given the warm reception).

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
It's official. The last 2 episodes of Jane the virgin will bwme next week.

EASWhv8WsAc5WWv

Who would of thought an American telenovela would get 100 episodes?

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
As for original series on Cinemax, "we will have original programming through 2020," Bloys said. "I don't know the answer to what the future looks like; it's something that we are talking about."

Is there a possibility for Cinemax to revert to being just a repurposing platform for HBO?

"Anything is possible – more programming, less programming, more movies," Bloys said. "At this point anything is on the table."

Eep. RIP Cinemax

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
That's a bummer about Designated Survivor. I enjoyed the first two seasons on ABC, hadn't had the chance yet to watch it on Netflix and was planning on it, but not sure now if I should. Does the 3rd season have some kind of closure to the series? Or does it end on a cliffhanger?
Yeah, it basically has Kirkman do something that presumably would have had consequences in a follow up.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
That's a bummer about Designated Survivor. I enjoyed the first two seasons on ABC, hadn't had the chance yet to watch it on Netflix and was planning on it, but not sure now if I should. Does the 3rd season have some kind of closure to the series? Or does it end on a cliffhanger?
Season 3 bored me. I couldn't keep attention. Still need to finish it. I thought the first two seasons were great though.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Only they gave Lucifier a final season to wrap things up, I think Netflix is about to start cost cutting.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017

That McDonald's story is great. I read a long form article on it a while back and it'll make a hell of a doc.

I've never seen an episode of Master chef but that one judge underpaying his staff 8 MILLION dollars is insane and people should boycott his restaurants. He only got fined $200k. That's pretty beneficial math and I would imagine just serves to encourage that kind of behavior

On the subject of N0S4A2 I'm surprised it's so well liked. I enjoyed the book and was gonna check it out but early reviews weren't great. I guess it got better as it went on? Anyone read the book have any insight?

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season 3 bored me. I couldn't keep attention. Still need to finish it. I thought the first two seasons were great though.
The third season was by far the strongest yet IMO. The early episodes were slow but they figured out what was working towards the end and concentrated on that.

Disappointed in this news, but hopefully it allows Kiefer to star in something more premium. Like a premium cable drama or even a Netflix original.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of saving shows from cancellation only to renew for 1 extra season? They did that Lucifer too.
They think the audience is bigger than it actually ends up being.

The third season was by far the strongest yet IMO. The early episodes were slow but they figured out what was working towards the end and concentrated on that.

Disappointed in this news, but hopefully it allows Kiefer to star in something more premium. Like a premium cable drama or even a Netflix original.
When in doubt he'll just do another season of 24.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
A bit late, but was Homecoming good? I like to think Julia Roberts ain't coming back for S2 because she didn't get an Emmy nom 😂

Janelle Monae is great tho.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
I'm half expecting Cinemax to become the home for HBO Max original shows to air on cable. It's probably a billion times crazy, but it's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of saving it then cancelling it. Screw you Netflix.
It's not Netflix's job to keep unsuccessful shows around, they ordered a third season, it got a third season, it apparently wasn't successful enough so Netflix didn't order a fourth. If the writers didn't wrap it up that's on them, I have very little patience with shows that get uncancelled and then don't use that chance and assume they'll run for more than one additional season, always assume the order you got is all you have, especially for shows like this who had been dead before.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017

Cinemax has had some of my favorite shows these past few years (Strike Back OG Version, Banshee, The Knick), but never really established itself as a must have premium channel outside of a small niche of people. I wouldn't be upset if they just folded the channel into HBO Max (already works w/the title), as long as they bring Warrior and hopefully Jett along with it.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
A bit late, but was Homecoming good?

It's solid and a really easy binge. The direction is the best thing about it.

Cinemax has had some of my favorite shows these past few years (Strike Back OG Version, Banshee, The Knick), but never really established itself as a must have premium channel outside of a small niche of people. I wouldn't be upset if they just folded the channel into HBO Max (already works w/the title), as long as they bring Warrior and hopefully Jett along with it.

I guess I wouldn't mind either - so long as they keep pursuing the sort of pulpy action/thriller shows that Cinemax is known for.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Why are you so down on this already?

I hope it turns out okay but there is poor recent history of US versions of UK shows. For every The Office there's those awful pilots for American versions of IT crowd and Red Dwarf and others we thankfully never see. Douglas Adams' sense of humor was very unique and most of the hitch-hiker's projects since his death have fallen rather flat.

Not to say it can't work. Back in the day, All in the Family, Sanford and Son, Three's Company were based off British Comedies Til Death Do Us Part, Steptoe and Son and Man about the House.

also Episodes is a great take on UK shows being made in the US.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Excited to hear about this new Hitchhikers Guide show. I hope it can be better than the movie at the very least.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Los Espookys renewed for season 2!

yessssss

everyone watch Los Espookys
Yus! It's my favourite American comedy in quite a bit.

I guess I wouldn't mind either - so long as they keep pursuing the sort of pulpy action/thriller shows that Cinemax is known for.

Yeah. That definitely sounds like they won't commit beyond 2020. I do hope that they might keep their Cinemaxes and DC Universes as branding for HBO Max, my world is fire and blood. Once, I was a cop. A road warrior searching for a righteous cause.
Because HBO Nordic keeps the family/kids section under a separate branding and that works pretty well, like having curated sections and just not relying on the algorithm is pretty appealing to me.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
They think the audience is bigger than it actually ends up being.

When in doubt he'll just do another season of 24.
Wasn''t Lucifer S4, like, one of their biggest hits this Spring? It's just another continuation of their dumb "2-3 seasons & it's dun" Al Gore based decision making.

Also, sacrifices need to be made to keep the mediocrity that is Friends on the service.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
One of the things that wouldn't have helped Lucifer is that Netflix didn't have Seasons 1-3 outside of the US due to Amazon having them. I know some people who were interested but then didn't watch it because they didn't have Prime and didn't want to start at Season 4.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when I said
Jack Thorne is a mad man
?

Best Interests is the story of a family driven apart by having to make choices no parent would ever want to make. Andrew and Nicci's daughter, Marnie, has a life-threatening condition. The doctors believe it is in her best interests to be allowed to die, but her loving family disagree. They start a fight that will take them through every stage of a legal process, as they struggle to contemplate this huge decision. Who decides? And in whose best interests will it be?

lmao. Dude is just alarmingly prolific. So that means he has this, another state-of-the-nation mini for Channel 4, The Damien Chazelle Netflix jazz show, season 2 of His Dark Materials, and that's just his TV work (it's like four more movies, dear god how?).

Status
Not open for further replies.