• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 33116

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
One of the things that wouldn't have helped Lucifer is that Netflix didn't have Seasons 1-3 outside of the US due to Amazon having them. I know some people who were interested but then didn't watch it because they didn't have Prime and didn't want to start at Season 4.
Australia and New Zealand Netflix have Lucifer. All seasons.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Started watching Lucifer, the show is surprisingly more of a comedy. I was expecting something like Supernatural, but this is better.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's not Netflix's job to keep unsuccessful shows around, they ordered a third season, it got a third season, it apparently wasn't successful enough so Netflix didn't order a fourth. If the writers didn't wrap it up that's on them, I have very little patience with shows that get uncancelled and then don't use that chance and assume they'll run for more than one additional season, always assume the order you got is all you have, especially for shows like this who had been dead before.
Wasn't successful enough by what metric? That's rhetorical. It seems like Netflix is pre-disposed to cancel shows early, based on some algorithm about how they think existing subs won't cancel and potential new subs will still join. A show could be very popular and so long as Netflix believes their net subs count won't be affected, they can kill it.

Agreed about writers being annoying when they put in cliffhangers when they know a re-order is doubtful. By all means wrap some things up and leave things open for more, but not a cliffhanger.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
With Netflix, even the showrunners don't know if they're going to get a renewal so there's no way to plan. lol

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Wednesday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2019-Jul-24.WED_.png

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still missing that BIG show like The Mandalorian, MCU shows, and etc. And we haven't heard of any shows from all those creative they signed to overall deals recently.
I would expect we get the big deets on The Mandalorian at D23, but the MCU shows are still a year out so I'd expect we get no info from them till early next year.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
I would expect we get the big deets on The Mandalorian at D23, but the MCU shows are still a year out so I'd expect we get no info from them till early next year.
I know that lol. I'm just saying we haven't heard anything like those kinds of shows for HBO Max, plus nothing from their signed exclusives. The closest is Dune Sisterhood.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know that lol. I'm just saying we haven't heard anything like those kinds of shows for HBO Max, plus nothing from their signed exclusives. The closest is Dune Sisterhood.
...I gotta get better at reading. Sorry, didn't catch the HBO Max mentions in the Tweet and in your post.

I think HBO Max is going to be banking on its value: where else can you see "Watchmen", "Dune: The Sisterhood", "FRIENDS", "DOOM PATROL", and "Gremlins" on the same service, whenever you want?

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
...I gotta get better at reading. Sorry, didn't catch the HBO Max mentions in the Tweet and in your post.

I think HBO Max is going to be banking on its value: where else can you see "Watchmen", "Dune: The Sisterhood", "FRIENDS", "DOOM PATROL", and "Gremlins" on the same service, whenever you want?
How dare you leave out Looney Tunes!

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn''t Lucifer S4, like, one of their biggest hits this Spring? It's just another continuation of their dumb "2-3 seasons & it's dun" Al Gore based decision making.

Also, sacrifices need to be made to keep the mediocrity that is Friends on the service.
Netflix isn't maliciously saying all of their shows can only run for 3 seasons and then have to be cancelled. It's just what they are doing to shows that are below their expectations/getting middling viewership (in their eyes). They have shows that have gone on longer, in some cases much longer -- clearly the ones that do the best for them. Stuff like OITNB, House of Cards, Narcos, Grace and Frankie, Fuller House, Bojack Horseman, etc.

At the same time, Netflix produces a ridiculous amount of original content (some would say an unsustainable amount), and that just naturally results in it being much easier to ditch a program when there's so many others that could potentially perform better (or may even simultaneously be out-performing that specific show).

At the end of the day, a 3 season run isn't even bad. Keep in mind that most shows never even get to the point of being made, and even then never even make it past their first season.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Netflix isn't maliciously saying all of their shows can only run for 3 seasons and then have to be cancelled. It's just what they are doing to shows that are below their expectations/getting middling viewership (in their eyes). They have shows that have gone on longer, in some cases much longer -- clearly the ones that do the best for them. Stuff like OITNB, House of Cards, Narcos, Grace and Frankie, Fuller House, Bojack Horseman, etc.

At the same time, Netflix produces a ridiculous amount of original content (some would say an unsustainable amount), and that just naturally results in it being much easier to ditch a program when there's so many others that could potentially perform better (or may even simultaneously be out-performing that specific show).

At the end of the day, a 3 season run isn't even bad. Keep in mind that most shows never even get to the point of being made, and even then never even make it past their first season.
Wouldn't that be better if Netflix did say that their shows can only run for 3 seasons? At least then, the cast and crew can prepare to take on new jobs, plus the show would have a natural conclusion. The shows you've listed are actually the exception instead of the rule as well.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't that be better if Netflix did say that their shows can only run for 3 seasons? At least then, the cast and crew can prepare to take on new jobs, plus the show would have a natural conclusion. The shows you've listed are actually the exception instead of the rule as well.
The thing is, I don't think there's a "rule". That's silly. It's rare for any show to go 5+ seasons. Like I said, 3 is pretty good on any network. In fact, 3 seasons is likely longer than a lot of these shows would have on a broadcast network.

Netflix doesn't share their viewership data except in specific exceptional circumstances when they want to brag, and even then the metrics vary. The fact is if the shows were more successful for them, they wouldn't cancel them that early.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And poor American Vandal didn't even get a third season. =(

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
AMC To Develop 'Farmhand' And 'Of Two Minds' For Scripted Inclusion Initiative
During TCA press tour, AMC unveiled that they are developing projects Farmhand and Of Two Minds as part of the AMC Scripted Inclusion Initiative. Into the Badlands writer and co-executive producer, LaToya Morgan, who oversees the initiative, will also oversee the development of the series that are part of the program which launched last year.

Farmhand is based on Rob Guillory's graphic novel about a Southern farmer Jedidiah Jenkins. His cash crop isn't corn or soy. He grows fast-healing, plug-and-play human organs. For years, Jed's organic transplants have brought healing to many, but deep in the soil of the Jenkins Family Farm something sinister has taken root.

Of Two Minds from Morgan Dover-Pearl is a dark comedy about a woman trying to "have it all" who suffers a traumatic brain injury that results in a severed corpus callosum, causing her left and right brains to cease all communication. With this very unique disability, she has to build a new way of life for herself while trying to navigate living with two brains that are constantly at odds with one another.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While S1 was pretty funny and I enjoyed the parody theme, I wasn't into S2 and watched it all the way through, felt kinda samesy. Dunno what they could've done for S3.
It certainly wasn't as fresh as the first season but I still found it hugely entertaining.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Based on the bestselling novel of the same name by Thomas Perry, "The Old Man" centers on Dan Chase (Bridges), who absconded from the CIA decades ago and has been living off the grid since. When an assassin arrives and tries to take Chase out, the old operative learns that to ensure his future he now must reconcile his past.

Jon Steinberg and Robert Levine will pen the series adaptation in addition to serving as executive producers on the series. Warren Littlefield will also executive produce along with Bridges, Dan Shotz, and David Schiff. Fox 21 Television Studios will produce in association with The Littlefield Company. Production on the series will begin this fall.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The Boys is up a little early on Amazon if anyone wanted to watch some of that tonight.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm pretty sure I'm the only member here who even watches this show lol, but the finale of Andi Mack is up early and we get our first canon gay relationship/moment or at least as far as Disney Channel will allow haha.
I'm still so happy about this, it's progress at least ahhhhh! :D
(Ignore the fan account, it's the best source I could find.)

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna lie, as a fan of the show, I teamed up a little bit.
Canon gay relationships on kids television is still incredibly taboo so I like to point it out when it does happen. :)

Yeah, I can only imagine what it means to gay kids to have even that level of representation. There's still a long way to go, but progress is progress!

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Judging from the title, designated survivor is finally dead?
Shame, season 3 was pretty good compared to season 2

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
There was a Cleopatra show in the works? That would have been awesome. I love the Ancient Egyptian aesthetic I would love to see it a lot more.

Yeah, it was described as a revisionist take on the Cleopatra story - "The Godfather in Ancient Egypt". From the creators of Black Sails, too, so it probably would have been incredible.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Hey at least the Denis Villeneuve Cleopatra film isn't technically dead yet. He'll have plenty of time for it after Dune megaflops.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I'm the only member here who even watches this show lol, but the finale of Andi Mack is up early and we get our first canon gay relationship/moment or at least as far as Disney Channel will allow haha.

beautiful

feel like both actors were trying their hardest to not burst out laughing

vypek

Oct 25, 2017

I also watch it. I haven't caught up ever since it came back even though I knew there were only a handful of episodes until the series finale. When does the finale air? Oh, its probably tonight isn't it? I'm not gonna be caught up in time for that. Dammit... why do I have to watch series so slowly lol

EDIT: Just actually watched the clip. I thought the furthest they were gonna go was Cyrus actually coming out to his friends during the series. Its nice to see progress and for the series to actually go past that to a relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.