• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon is such a weird streaming platform. Seems like they cancel the vast majority of their shows. Hard to gain any traction that way.

I would love to know some of their viewing numbers, I have a feeling most Amazon Originals aren't getting big viewer numbers (especially since they really seem to be looking for the next big hit) and wouldn't be surprised if the division is kinda a financial drain relative to viewer engagement.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I would love to know some of their viewing numbers, I have a feeling most Amazon Originals aren't getting big viewer numbers (especially since they really seem to be looking for the next big hit) and wouldn't be surprised if the division is kinda a financial drain relative to viewer engagement.
It just doesnt seem to have much cache mainstream wise.

Even the people I know who have prime dont use the streaming service.

Good Omens seems to have gotten good marketing behind it but that seems to be a flop. Havent watched it yet myself.

Maybe this new strategy of going after big genre fare will be the right move for them and give them an identity they have been lacking so far.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised that Amazon can't get any traction since there's just simply too much streaming stuff to watch. I'm a total TV junkie and I can't even keep up. The Boys and OITNB dropped yesterday, Dear White People next week, then GLOW, then Mindhunter.

I haven't even touched Good Omens yet either. The only thing I've actually made it through recently is Veronica Mars.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised that Amazon can't get any traction since there's just simply too much streaming stuff to watch. I'm a total TV junkie and I can't even keep up. The Boys and OITNB dropped yesterday, Dear White People next week, then GLOW, then Mindhunter.

I haven't even touched Good Omens yet either. The only thing I've actually made it through recently is Veronica Mars.

Yeah I think that's part of it. A show turning into a big hit is something that can be hard to do with a streaming only release (and probably has to happen somewhat naturally). I imagine Netflix and Hulu are more of a default choice for watching stuff (in the US anyway) than Amazon.

I do plan on watching The Boys at some point since I read the comics but I want to make it though the final season of OitNB first.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Yeah I think that's part of it. A show turning into a big hit is something that can be hard to do with a streaming only release (and probably has to happen somewhat naturally). I imagine Netflix and Hulu are more of a default choice for watching stuff (in the US anyway) than Amazon.
They kind of are because Netflix is the king and Hulu is mainly used for whatever shows aired the night before.

Like, I'm letting my HBO Now subscription lapse and completely forgot that Amazon has some older HBO shows that I've never seen. So now I'm wondering why I even had HBO Now in the first place. (Plus, I completely forgot that I could've just had HBO attached to Hulu or Amazon for the same price so there's that.)

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I just finished season 1 of fleabag and thought it was really good. Especially the final episode.

Decided to watch the boys before starting season 2.

First episode of the boys was excellent.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I swear a big reason why Amazon Prime falters in streaming is their UI sucks and they have weird ways of listing shows. A new show can release and be really hard to find. Like Refn's show was absolutely buried that first weekend.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I swear a big reason why Amazon Prime falters in streaming is their UI sucks and they have weird ways of listing shows. A new show can release and be really hard to find. Like Refn's show was absolutely buried that first weekend.

It also really annoys me that you can't have profiles in the same way you can on Netflix or Hulu. I think you kind of can by having those people on your prime account and logged in with their email but come on Amazon it's a basic feature that should have been added a long time ago.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Yeah, their UI is total garbage on every device I can access it. On my TV I can't get the closed captions to work, on my console I can. It's slow, it's badly designed, no profiles even though households can share Prime, huge missed opportunity. This is also the company who has my active cell phone number attached to an old Amazon account they deleted while trying to get the phone number moved across, and after hours trying to get it sorted they admitted they could not, which means I can't enter my number to my active Amazon account because it thinks it's in use, even though that account was deleted by Amazon. One of the biggest tech companies in the world they say. It's so bad I tend to forget it exists.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
This is true.

Also here in Canada their app on PS4 doesn't allow you to stream in 4K but the app on my TV does.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
It also really annoys me that you can't have profiles in the same way you can on Netflix or Hulu. I think you kind of can by having those people on your prime account and logged in with their email but come on Amazon it's a basic feature that should have been added a long time ago.
It's probably their attempt at curbing account sharing since the "proper" way to do it, as you said, is to add your household to your Prime account and then have them log in under themselves.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I liked The Romanoffs "The House of Special Purpose," but the other episodes looked so blah, like more pretty rich people hating their lives.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind with Amazon that they completely changed their executive team in the last 6 months -- including a new head of genre which doesn't even start for another couple of weeks. A lot of the cancellations have simply been down to personnel changes and the new people not liking a lot of what the old people did. That said, they have a lot of cool stuff in the pipeline that I think is worth getting excited about. In a lot of ways Amazon is still in its infancy. The next two years I predict it will get much much bigger as many bigger genre projects hit the platform.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Carnival Row has me really interested. First time hearing about the production issues which sounds wack. Does a show getting a sequel before even released often?

Didn't realize they brought LOTR back to NZ again. Would have been interested to see different locations as well. The series would do well to move in a different direction from the films due to expectations. The only part I would imagine would be similar is if they show the end of the second age in which I could imagine a crossover in aesthetics and designs.

That said, I agree with sentiments that Amazon itself is so bad for navigation and streaming. The only cancelled show thus far on the platform I was very interested in was the Last Tycoon so in the regards of amazon's cancellations, it's hasn't been bad for me thus far. Given the Terror is releasing next month, is it going to be released all at once on amazon or is it going to be similar as last year doing weekly?

As for Starz, I quite like Outlander, I did enjoy the White princess and Vida despite being supposedly female focused. Not quite sure what American Gods is catered towards. I did not like Counterpart either so cancellation doesn't bother me. Wish they had another epic show like Black Sails. It did pretty well when it came to diverse cast as well which reminds me how haven't heard about Cleopatra in a while now.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Didn't realize they brought LOTR back to NZ again. Would have been interested to see different locations as well. The series would do well to move in a different direction from the films due to expectations. The only part I would imagine would be similar is if they show the end of the second age in which I could imagine a crossover in aesthetics and designs.

LotR is a point of national pride for New Zealanders (see: Lindsay Ellis' YouTube videos about LotR) so they probably are keeping it in NZ to make the people there happy as much as any other reason.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Given the Terror is releasing next month, is it going to be released all at once on amazon or is it going to be similar as last year doing weekly?

AMC is airing it weekly, but they haven't said whether they'll also be releasing it all at once on AMC Premiere/Amazon like they did for season one.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NZ makes a lot of sense for LOTR for several reasons, but above all -- you really can't beat the scenery, which is so synonymous with Middle Earth at this point. No matter the budget, the sheer nature of NZ does a lot of work in making it feel like a fantasy world.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I tried watching Pandora, thought it might be an easy going sci if show, so bad, like a terrible soap opera with pretty people who can't act, makes usual CW shows look like HBO.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

I'm baffled that the UHD versions of shows need to be searched for and selected separately. Why would they do that?

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Sunday night's ratings:

Fast-Demo-2019-July-28.SUN_.png

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I thought Sicario 2 reviewed well and died an early death. No?
I was referring to articles like these:

Sicario 2 takes waaaaay too long to explain itself, and even when it does that is not enough to take away from the racist tropes in leaned into earlier. The first season of Jack Ryan already got pushback for some of the things it did, so them Clear and Present Danger-ing it with the second can get ugly unless they handle it carefully. And I'm not sure they are.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017

I feel kiiiiiiiind of over anthology series at this point, especially for ones with such basic sounding premises. The cast is great though.
Oooh, a show about characters and issues!

Yeah, I can't be bothered with these kinds of amorphous anthologies that don't even really seem to have unifying philosophies or concepts. If you want to curate a bunch of movies or shorts, go raid some festivals for stuff people would be happy to sell and get eyeballs on. Instead we get a collection of some name producer's leftover ideas that can't be developed into anything on their own.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like how people now get mad that their favorite show got cancelled after two seasons, when we used to live in a world where your favorite show might not even get half a season on the air before cancellation.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, critical reviews probably don't matter to the success of most Netflix series. They probably have the metrics to prove this.
Critical reviews don't matter, but they want people talking about it. And that's far less likely if you don't give critics anything to hype up. This is a bit of a mystery to me because I can't imagine it's a trainwreck given they had the same team from the first season working on it.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I mean, critical reviews probably don't matter to the success of most Netflix series. They probably have the metrics to prove this.

When TV critics get pissy over stuff like this, I avoid them. She has no idea the quality of Mindhunter but this is her passive aggressive way of getting back at them. Show must be bad if she doesn't get to watch it first.

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Status
Not open for further replies.