• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
When TV critics get pissy over stuff like this, I avoid them. She has no idea the quality of Mindhunter but this is her passive aggressive way of getting back at them. Show must be bad if she doesn't get to watch it first.
Anything that pisses off critics makes me smile. Maybe season two of Mindhunter will suck, I already know EVDW does.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Emily is off the mark here.

Peak TV is dead, and in its stead we have this glut, this deluge of better-than-average content. While I do appreciate reviews for telling me what to miss (After Life) and what to check out (Fleabag, Flowers, etc.), at the end of the day, if I see something that looks cool on Netflix, I'll watch it.

The 30-second autoplaying trailer will do for me than the opinion of one critic. In this post-Peak TV era, I think the role of the critic needs a bit of re-examination. Bad reviews aren't going to make or break a show anymore, so the role of a critic is now to act as more of a curator. They're the human counterpart to the cold unfeeling algorithm. They help relatively underground shows gain the attention they need to survive. While it may not work all the time (RIP Tuca and Bertie, RIP Forever), it really gives a boost to some shows we might have missed otherwise (Killing Eve, Fleabag, Catastrophe, etc.).

This is a lot of words just to say: I think she's greatly over-estimating her importance to a show's chances.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
and like, I can't help but notice a healthy dose of condescension in her pointing out that most replies just want to know the show's name rather than giving a shit about the overlapping financial priorities, or lack thereof, between the critics' content production and streaming giants' promotional needs.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Peak TV" definitely isn't dead. It's just as much about the quantity as it is the quality. Because the sheer quantity of higher quality programming has raised the quality across the board. Not everything is on the level of a Sopranos, or whatever you want to compare it to, but it doesn't have to be. Those super high quality premium shows still come along with about the same frequency they did before -- it's just now everything else is also significantly better than it was before... and due to the increasing number of companies wanting to make shows (and typically higher budget at that), there is even more of them than before.

That is "peak TV." And we're still definitely in the middle of it.

re: Mindhunter Season 2. It's probably going to be fine. Mostly because I don't see Fincher being happy with something that has his named attached not at least being that. Netflix doesn't care that much about promoting returning shows as they do brand new ones, so I don't think critics whining about not getting screeners means much of anything.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Better-than-average feels like a good description of current television. I find that the average quality of shows is higher, but the 'peaks' definitely aren't as high.

And yeah it's hard to care about TV reviews/reviewers these days. The corps don't need them, the quality isn't as high as it used to be and the young folks like YouTube reactions and all that jazz. I don't think audiences really care at all.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
nah Peak TV was 2012 when we had on the air simultaneously

Breaking Bad
30 Rock
Mad Men
Game of Thrones
Parks and Recreation
Veep
Justified
Boardwalk Empire
The Americans
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Narcos
Community
Homeland
Spartacus: Vengeance
Louie
Sons of Anarchy
Wilfred
Archer, Bobs Burgers
Downton Abbey
The League
Futurama

and probably a few more. A really good mix of streaming and network and cable too. It hasn't reached that level since imo. There's been a lot of standouts but the overall quality has really dipped in the last year or two while we've gotten shoveled a lot more very mediocre stuff.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
"Peak TV" is a term used by critics (but coined by John Landgraf circa 2015) to refer to the era we're in where there's so much TV that it's impossible to keep up with it all, even when it's your full time job. Critics and avid TV fans used to be able to watch everything, or at least sample everything, but now that literally can't happen anymore.

The (New/Second) "Golden Age" was the period where there were really high quality and revolutionary shows on the air all the time, starting with The Sopranos in 1999 and ending in 2015 (when a lot of "the Golden Age is over" think pieces started springing up around the time Mad Men ended). Some critics tried referring to this new era as the "Platinum Age" but "Peak TV" ended up winning out as the preferred term.

Everyone is predicting that the Peak TV bubble will burst in the next few years though, so don't get too attached to it...

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
nah Peak TV was 2012 when we had on the air simultaneously

Breaking Bad
30 Rock
Mad Men
Game of Thrones
Parks and Recreation
Veep
Justified
Boardwalk Empire
The Americans
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Narcos
Community
Homeland
Spartacus: Vengeance
Louie
Sons of Anarchy
Wilfred
Archer, Bobs Burgers
Downton Abbey
The League
Futurama

and probably a few more. A really good mix of streaming and network and cable too. It hasn't reached that level since imo. There's been a lot of standouts but the overall quality has really dipped in the last year or two while we've gotten shoveled a lot more very mediocre stuff.
how dare you not include The Office in this list

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
"Peak TV" definitely isn't dead. It's just as much about the quantity as it is the quality. Because the sheer quantity of higher quality programming has raised the quality across the board. Not everything is on the level of a Sopranos, or whatever you want to compare it to, but it doesn't have to be. Those super high quality premium shows still come along with about the same frequency they did before -- it's just now everything else is also significantly better than it was before... and due to the increasing number of companies wanting to make shows (and typically higher budget at that), there is even more of them than before.

That is "peak TV." And we're still definitely in the middle of it.

re: Mindhunter Season 2. It's probably going to be fine. Mostly because I don't see Fincher being happy with something that has his named attached not at least being that. Netflix doesn't care that much about promoting returning shows as they do brand new ones, so I don't think critics whining about not getting screeners means much of anything.
I can see that argument, however I think when the phrase was first used it was referring to "this is the peak for must watch shows". We are still currently at the peak for good shows, as you explained, but not "must watch" shows. For example I'm currently watching a number of shows I consider good, but few if any are something I'd heartily recommend to a friend with limited free time who is looking for something. Chernobyl is the only one I can think of from the last while.

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
tenor.gif

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I am actually ok with the Peak TV bubble bursting because then I can catch up on all of the shows I missed or am behind on

Since when has it burst? There is an ever increasing slate of shows. It's too much to follow. And I watch a LOT. It's gotten to the point that I'm glad when shows I like end just so I can watch less TV - because I have trouble just ditching a show I've started.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Since when has it burst? There is an ever increasing slate of shows. It's too much to follow. And I watch a LOT. It's gotten to the point that I'm glad when shows I like end just so I can watch less TV - because I have trouble just ditching a show I've started.

I just meant in the next 2-3 years when it eventually bursts like how RatskyWatsky was saying

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Peak TV bubble bursts when the streaming service bubble bursts. Too much throwing money chasing at a dream that's only sustainable for a few massive corps. The smaller/niche cable channels will go too.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of niche and streaming:

None of the outlets is a mass-audience juggernaut, but that's never been the plan. As a portfolio they have grown steadily and offer the company more options for how to connect with consumers, some of whom are cutting and shaving the cord. Executives tell Deadline the four services combined will have north of 2 million subscribers by the end of 2019 and are on track to achieve profitability by the end of 2020. That's a meaningful development for a company navigating a dramatically transforming pay-TV ecosystem.
Acorn TV, the oldest of the services (the others are Sundance Now, UMC and Shudder), is already in the black. It touts itself as the No. 1 North American purveyor of streamed British and international shows. London Kills, the first straight-to-series commission about a Scotland Yard detective team, is currently Acorn's top draw, according to company data.
Because of the niche appeal of the AMC services, Penella said the company has churn rates that are the lowest in the industry.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Peak TV bubble bursts when the streaming service bubble bursts. Too much throwing money chasing at a dream that's only sustainable for a few massive corps. The smaller/niche cable channels will go too.

Netflix used to be niche. it's too hard to tell what'll happen right now. I think the cream and bastards will rise.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joss Whedon's "The Nevers" stacks up on cast.
HBO is rounding out cast for The Nevers, its straight-to-series drama from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator and The Avengers writer/director Joss Whedon. Joining lead Laura Donnelly are:
  • Olivia Williams (Miss Austen Regrets)
  • James Norton(Grantchester)
  • Tom Riley (Dark Heart)
  • Ann Skelly (Death and Nightingales)
  • Ben Chaplin (The Children Act)
  • Pip Torrens (The Crown)
  • Zackary Momoh (Seven Seconds)
  • Amy Manson (Torchwood)
  • Nick Frost (Fighting With My Family)
  • Rochelle Neil (Death in Paradise)
  • Eleanor Tomlinson (Poldark)
  • Denis O'Hare(This Is Us).

Character descriptions at the link.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Skelly is Penance Adair, Amalia's (Donnelly) dearest friend, and one of the first women to join her cause. A devout – yet heretically progressive – Irish girl, Penance has genius for invention. She is delighted by her power, and her default is love and acceptance. But she's firm in her moral sense, and will be guided by what's right over what's expedient every time.
Hi Kaylee.
Manson is Maladie. Committed by her husband (and genuinely unstable), she's been warped by a power she can't understand, and tortured by doctors intent on finding its source. She now lives underground, runs a gang and is on an infamous murder spree. She affects a theatrical parody of a bedlam waif, but mad as she is, she's a woman with a purpose.
Hello River.

Okay, I'm maybe being unfair. But it really does come across as Whedon being incredibly self indulgent which isn't a shock since he is: showrunning, co-writing, and directing. Some creatives need a strong counterwieght to hinder their worst tendencies and it looks like Whedon is unchecked on this.

Norton is Hugo Swan, a pansexual posh boy whose charm has about five years left on its lease. He runs a secret club and a side trade in blackmail. He's devoted to fulfilling everyone's worst impression of him – and fascinated by the Touched.
I'm still gonna watch because I am traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Olivia Williams seems like she's playing a character that hews closely to her Dollhouse role, as well. Most of the character descriptions look like fan fiction.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon Studios is developing Fast Color, a TV series based on the 2018 sci-fi film, I have learned. The project comes from Viola Davis and Julius Tennon's JuVee Productions, along with feature's writers Julia Hart and Jordan Horowitz and their Original Headquarters as well as Mickey Liddell's LD Entertainment.

The film, co-written by Hart and Horowitz, directed by Hart and released by Lionsgate/Code Black in April, features three generations of black women, Ruth (Gugu Mbatha-Raw), her mom Bo (Lorraine Toussaint) and Ruth's daughter Lila (Saniyya Sidney), at the center of an original science fiction world...

The television series will follow Ruth, a former drug addict and runaway, who returns home and rediscovers the special powers she thought she lost, powers that her family have long kept hidden from the public. Three Generations of black women reconnect and as they learn more about themselves and the generations who came before, they begin to realize that one of them could save the world.
Did not expect this to be the superhero film to get a spinoff, it bombed really hard and didn't really garner critical fervour either. Hope it's good, the trailer/premise of the film seemed neat.

----------------
Olivia Williams seems like she's playing a character that hews closely to her Dollhouse role, as well. Most of the character descriptions look like fan fiction.
Oh, you're right. There definitely are similarities, I totally forgot she was in that... also forgot that Dollhouse existed.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apple to remake Israeli show "False Flag."

The first season of the drama, which first aired on Israel's Channel 2 in 2015, tells the story of five people, who wake up one morning to find themselves implicated in a ruthless kidnapping operation following the disappearance of the Iranian Defence Minister. As news bulletins repeatedly broadcast their names and photos, their attempts at denial are all in vain – the coverage sweeps them up in a maelstrom of publicity. At first, everyone is convinced that Mossad was behind the operation – but then the five civilians are stunned to discover that the government, which is supposed to protect them, as well as Mossad itself, denies all involvement and accuses them as suspects. Instead of helping them, the authorities persecute, investigate and point fingers, and even their loved ones begin to doubt their innocence.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'Circe' Fantasy Drama From Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver Based On Novel Gets HBO Max Series Order
In a competitive situation, streamer HBO Max has given an 8-episode straight-to-series order to Circe, a drama series adaptation of Madeline Miller's International bestseller of the same name. The project hails from top feature writers Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver (Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Jurassic World). Chernin Entertainment is producing with Endeavor Content through the companies' scripted drama venture.

Written and executive produced by Jaffa and Silver, Circe is a modern take on the world of Greek mythology told from the powerful feminist perspective of the goddess Circe, who transforms from an awkward nymph to a formidable witch, able to challenge gods, titans and monsters alike.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Uh, am I the only one who thinks Netflix not sending out any screeners at all for Mindhunter means they're definitely tryna cancel it ASAP?
Nah. They had an event for the press a few weeks ago.
Netflix doesn't really need to send reviews, it's a popular show, they will advertise it when it's coming out and rely on word of mouth.
It's a short season and they will probably want to keep a lid on spoilers.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
FX's 'A Teacher' Limited Series Gets Green Light With Nick Robinson As Co-Lead
FX has given a formal green light to A Teacher, a 10-episode limited series based on Hannah Fidell's buzzy Sundance feature, starring and executive produced by Kate Mara. Additionally, Nick Robinson (Love, Simon, Everything, Everything) has been cast as a co-lead opposite Mara in the series, which has been in development at FX since last year. FX Productions is the studio.

Fidell, who wrote, directed and produced the 2013 film, will pen the adaptation, direct and executive produce the limited series.

A Teacher explores the story behind the mugshot of a female high school teacher caught in an affair with her male student, revealing the complexities and consequences of these illegal relationships.

Mara and Robinson star respectively as Claire, a popular young teacher at a suburban Texas high school, and Eric, an all-American high school senior.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can somebody explain what Peak and prestige TV actually means?

Does the current amount of genre streaming stuff like the Disney+ marvel and Star Wars , LOTR, Picard fall under those banners.

Status
Not open for further replies.