• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Can somebody explain what Peak and prestige TV actually means?

Does the current amount of genre streaming stuff like the Disney+ marvel and Star Wars , LOTR, Picard fall under those banners.

"Peak TV" is a term used by critics (but coined by John Landgraf circa 2015) to refer to the era we're in where there's so much TV that it's impossible to keep up with it all, even when it's your full time job. Critics and avid TV fans used to be able to watch everything, or at least sample everything, but now that literally can't happen anymore.

"Prestige TV" refers to shows that exist, not because the networks think they'll get big ratings, but because they'll attract award nominations and add to the prestige of the network. Basically the TV version of Oscar bait.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Many of the best Office episodes are after their engagement.
I'm actually in the midst of a rewatch. In my memory everything from like season 6 on was awful but 2/3rds of the way through 7 and it's still hilarious. It's lost some of the charm (and Pam is definitely less developed/more of a side character which the show does not benefit from) but there's some real gems in the season. In particular the 5 episodes after Michael leaves are great

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Peak TV" is a term used by critics (but coined by John Landgraf circa 2015) to refer to the era we're in where there's so much TV that it's impossible to keep up with it all, even when it's your full time job. Critics and avid TV fans used to be able to watch everything, or at least sample everything, but now that literally can't happen anymore.

"Prestige TV" refers to shows that exist, not because the networks think they'll get big ratings, but because they'll attract award nominations and add to the prestige of the network. Basically the TV version of Oscar bait.

Both those are understandable, I mostly watch genre shows and anime, but typically. I have my set shows I watch during the TV season and my must watch stream shows and everything else I'll try to fit in during the break.

Nov 1, 2017
Nah. They had an event for the press a few weeks ago.
Netflix doesn't really need to send reviews, it's a popular show, they will advertise it when it's coming out and rely on word of mouth.
It's a short season and they will probably want to keep a lid on spoilers.

Now that I think about it, there weren't screeners for season 1 either. I'm guessing it's a Fincher mandate since Netflix sends out screeners for literally everything else.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Modern Greek Mythology Drama Series a Go at HBO Max
HBO Max is ready to explore Greek mythology.

The forthcoming streaming service has handed out an eight-episode, straight-to-series order for Circe, a modern take on the world of Greek mythology based on Madeline Miller's best-seller of the same name.

Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver (Planet of the Apes, Jurassic World) will write and executive produce the drama, which hails from Chernin Entertainment and Endeavor Content.

Circe is told from the powerful feminist perspective of the titular goddess, who transforms from an awkward nymph to a formidable witch, able to challenge gods, titans and monsters alike.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How long do you think Quibi will last for? My take is that it'll last maybe 6 months before going the way of SeeSo and Watchable.

I find it stupid one would give nearly a billion dollars to a company to make "premium short form content" when I could "short form content" anywhere for free. Why would I spend 10 minutes watching Steven Spielberg's After Dark when I could watch a YT video? Or browse Reddit? Or watch a Twitter video on repeat?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile at NBCUniversal...
Yeah, setting that hard and fast April launch date without even starting to court new original programming first seems like a very backwards way of doing it that is bound to blow up in their face.

How long do you think Quibi will last for? My take is that it'll last maybe 6 months before going the way of SeeSo and Watchable.

I find it stupid one would give nearly a billion dollars to a company to make "premium short form content" when I could "short form content" anywhere for free. Why would I spend 10 minutes watching Steven Spielberg's After Dark when I could watch a YT video? Or browse Reddit? Or watch a Twitter video on repeat?
Quibi has seemed like a massive amount of nothing since it was announced. Its only purpose is to make Katzenberg money. I don't see the audience for the content that he purports exists. Teens aren't going to sit and watch Quibi shows on their phones just because they look at their phones all the time. It all feels like a gigantic con on everyone else currently working in the industry.

Last edited:

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Halfway through The Boys and this is definitely my favorite Amazon show so far.

Though in fairness I've barely dipped my toe into their programming.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Halfway through The Boys and this is definitely my favorite Amazon show so far.

Though in fairness I've barely dipped my toe into their programming.

yeah I just finished After Life on Netflix, which was laughably bad but fun in a MST3K kinda way, and 2 episodes into The Boys and the difference in acting quality and writing is staggering. I'm really, really enjoying The Boys so far and want to slow down a bit so I can savor it more.

Its so WEIRD not fast forwarding thru 70% of an episode

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Starbuck is the only saving grace of Another Life. And laughably bad is the right word, there was some cheesy histeric moments where i had trouble to breathe with how much i was laughing, mostly with stuff involving the three horny engineers.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Tuesday night's ratings. The 2020 Democratic Debate Night 3 final ratings from CNN will be up later today:

Fast-Demo-2019-Jul-30.TUE_.png

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

Hey, that is an entirely unfair comparison for Quibi. At least respect the Katz enough to compare it with go90 (reminder: Verizon spent well over $200M trying to make it a thing) and blackpills!

But yeah, no mobile first OTT has really managed to find success (unless we count Snapchat maybe? kinda? and even they had to scrap most of the more ambitious scripted stuff)
this recent article on Quibi has done nothing to alleviate the fears I have for it

It's not lost on Katzenberg that he's asking talent to take a leap of faith with Quibi. Although he and Whitman have hired 160 employees, booked $100 million in advertising commitments — including those from blue-chip brands like Walmart, Pepsi, Anheuser-Busch and Google — and plan to spend $470 million to market Quibi in its first year, even they don't know how viewers will respond when the service goes live in eight months. "We're going up on a high wire and there's no safety net underneath it," he acknowledges. "We understand what we're doing fits somewhere between improbable and impossible."

also speaking of SeeSo

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
CNN's ratings for last night's 2020 Democratic National Debate Night 3 fell sharply from the first two nights when it was aired across various NBC Universal channels, with a total of 8.2 million viewers, down 44% from NBC Universal's simulcast of 18.1 million viewers when it aired on June 26:

Deadline

With 10 candidates on-stage, the nearly three-hour debate snagged 8.2 million viewers.

A hard drop of 46% from the June 26 NBC, MSNBC, and Telemundo simulcast first debate among the current contenders for Donald Trump's job. Among the news demographic of adults 25-54, Tuesday's CNN extravaganza had an audience of 2.4 million, according to early Nielsen Media Research. That's a 44% crash from the Sen. Warren dominated debate of last month.

The 8-11 PM ET event averaged a 6.5/12 in metered market ratings. That's a decline of 6% from the first Dems gathering on NBC late last month – and consider that such a survey of the 56 major markets can be unsteady when it comes to live broadcasts like awards ceremonies, sports or political battle royales.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Daniels To Star & Executive Produce 'Rust' Drama Series At Showtime
Showtime has given a straight-to-series order to Rust, a drama based on Philipp Meyer's debut novel American Rust, starring and executive produced by Jeff Daniels (The Newsroom, Godless). Oscar nominee Dan Futterman (Capote) will write multiple episodes of the series, which is co-produced with Platform One Media.

Rust is a compelling family drama that will explore the tattered American dream through the eyes of complicated and compromised chief of police Del Harris (Daniels) in a Rust Belt town in southwest Pennsylvania. When the woman he truly loves sees her son accused of murder, Harris is forced to decide what he's willing to do to protect him.

Oct 25, 2017
CNN's ratings for last night's 2020 Democratic National Debate Night 3 fell sharply from the first two nights when it was aired across various NBC Universal channels, with a total of 8.2 million viewers, down 44% from NBC Universal's simulcast of 18.1 million viewers when it aired on June 26:

Deadline
can cable vs not cable really be compared? Otherwise, waning interest in no names and irrelevant folks will make these a drag to watch until we're down to the top5.

The Day the Clown Cried
OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
End for Baskets is too bad. Still haven't started Season 4 (it's still not up on Hulu), but since Season 3 ended on a bit of a cliffhanger, or at least an open note, I'm hoping they have a nice bow tied at the end for this one.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bsskets ending is fine. They've given Chip enough development that even if its not planned he'll be in a better place than he was at the beginning of the series. Now they just need to give me a permanent Mama Baskets spinoff.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
thinking about what Netflix cancelation would hurt me, and now that Big Mouth is not only safe but apparently SUPER safe, Im struggling to think of anything. That's not even a jab at Netflix, i am the resident Netflix fanboy afterall, just... yeah.

I mean, I guess Ozarks but I havent watched season 2 yet... Stranger Things (thats not happening I know) I havent watched season 3, Last Chance U I havent watched the anything with the new school (and I was good with just the 2 seasons anyway), I absolutely loved Glow season 2 (and 1 but especially 2) but I would be totally fine with 3 being the last... Yeah man, I dunno.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Not much of a bump for Jane in the finale. Not that it matters. Bless the CW for giving that and CxG a proper closure despite the ratings.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
thinking about what Netflix cancelation would hurt me, and now that Big Mouth is not only safe but apparently SUPER safe, Im struggling to think of anything. That's not even a jab at Netflix, i am the resident Netflix fanboy afterall, just... yeah.

I mean, I guess Ozarks but I havent watched season 2 yet... Stranger Things (thats not happening I know) I havent watched season 3, Last Chance U I havent watched the anything with the new school (and I was good with just the 2 seasons anyway), I absolutely loved Glow season 2 (and 1 but especially 2) but I would be totally fine with 3 being the last... Yeah man, I dunno.
You just thought of a couple. I'd like to see more Stranger Things, Umbrella Academy, Ozark, Altered Carbon, Dark (yes I know it has one more season planned, and a couple of the others have been renewed).

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

Santa Clarita Diet really bummed me out. It was such a unique fun show, and I feel like they never explained the "ball guy"

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
the "couple" I thought i wouldnt care tho tahts the point. I wouldnt care if Ozarks was canceled, Stranger Things isnt getting canceled.

You, on the other hand, DID mention some that could potencially hurt as I loved the first seasons (Umbrella and Carbon) but I guess I need to see what they do with the second seasons to know if it would hurt, right now both are renewed.

Another big one is Haunting of INSERT NEW HOUSE HERE (aka haunting of hlll house season 2) but again, also renewed. But yeah, you know what, season 1 was so good and I love me some Mike Flanagan, if they were to announce right now season 2 is the last, that WOULD hurt.

Mindhunters I absolutely loved season 1, but I'm not sure if I need much more after Season 2, and it seems so expensive that I'm already mentally prepared for season 2 to be the last. Kinda like Altered Carbon tbh lol.

Santa Clarita Diet really bummed me out. It was such a unique fun show, and I feel like they never explained the "ball guy"

Santa Clarita hurt, American Vandal Hurt, Ive already been hurt plenty, im numb now!

Status
Not open for further replies.